PDA

View Full Version : Does JOB believe this team can make the Playoffs?

ksuttonjr76
01-09-2011, 11:30 AM
I just made this comment in a different thread, and I thought to myself...does he? In my Company, we believe that Effective Leadership is what drives Associate Passion. Our Business Model has been widely studied in Business Classes and won many awards, and we're taught as Leaders that your Associates believe what you believe. One of the components of our Business Model that we follow is "Lead by Motivation, not by Fear".

Coaching aside, the real question that we should be asking is...Are we underachieving, because the coach ultimately doesn't believe that we can make the playoffs? Even as I'm typing this, I'm racking my brain trying to remember if I EVER heard JOB say "We're going to make the Playoffs this season." regardless if he was rignt or wrong.

LA_Confidential
01-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Jimmy seems like a grumpy old fart. So i highly doubt it.

MiaDragon
01-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Gotta believe in your players before you believe they can succeed, so no I don't think he does.

ksuttonjr76
01-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Gotta believe in your players before you believe they can succeed, so no I don't think he does.

If he doesn't in the believe in the players, then why is he here then? We have a team full of potentials and specialized skills, and he still doesn't believe in the players? It almost makes you wonder what does a player have to do before JOB will believe in their talents and/or contributions to the team?

Larry Staverman
01-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Last night O'Brien said:

"They're a terrifically talented basketball team and they're just a little too much for us to handle right now"

Obviously he doesn't think we can beat the Hawks!

Bball
01-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Considering all the mixing and matching he does it's hard to think he believes in the players themselves doing it....

But the man obviously believes in his system...

So who knows what he thinks.

One thing I know is you'll never figure out by studying his words and actions. Too many contradictions.

spazzxb
01-09-2011, 05:37 PM
He believes in this team more than most of his enemys(whats the opposite of a fan) do. Some of the same people bashing JOB also bash our players they hate on it all..

Peck
01-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Last night O'Brien said:

"They're a terrifically talented basketball team and they're just a little too much for us to handle right now"

Well in this case he is right. You could tell from the body language early on that the players were not filled with energy and confidence, kind of like they new the outcome before the game.

flox
01-09-2011, 05:43 PM
I don't think we could beat the Hawks.

Bball
01-09-2011, 05:45 PM
He believes in this team more than most of his enemys(whats the opposite of a fan) do. Some of the same people bashing JOB also bash our players they hate on it all..

When a coach is as bad as O'Brien I have a hard time bashing on any players because I think it's impossible to evaluate them properly when nearly every one of them is not being utilized to their strengths and/or are getting yanked around too much to find a niche/role and build from it.

ksuttonjr76
01-09-2011, 07:28 PM
Last night O'Brien said:

Hence, JOB really doesn't give them any real motivation to be successful aside from personal pride. Even then, JOB indirectly attacks that with his inconsistent rotations and playing time.

It's situations like these where I bet the players wished there were like average joes who can quit their job (no pun intended) and find something better.

Aw Heck
01-09-2011, 07:48 PM
I don't think he does. His criticizing of players in the press seems to indicate that. But it doesn't help when he just puts players in a position to fail.

Like playing Posey at the 4. I know, supposedly, it's meant to stretch the floor. But the way Posey is shooting, he's not going to pull any opposing 4 away from the basket to contest his shots. Meanwhile, Posey hurts the Pacers on the defensive end, proving incapable of guarding bigger PF's like Amare or athletic PF's like Josh Smith. He's not a great rebounder either, so there's no incentive to play him for that reason.

The only other reason I can think of is that he can no longer play the 3. Too slow to get any offense off against younger 3s, too slow to defend them. But if that's the case, why play him at all?

Tyler, Josh, Solo and Jeff all bring more important things to the 4 spot than Posey does. Granted, this team has more problems than this, but I think this team would have a better record than they do now if JOB played people at the 4 spot that were actually capable of playing it well.

sunsun
01-09-2011, 08:11 PM
JOB believes he will be fired before the end of this season

Sandman21
01-10-2011, 12:50 AM
JOB believes he will be fired before the end of this season

We can only hope.

pwee31
01-10-2011, 12:56 AM
Does this team believe JOB can coach them to the playoffs should be the question

AesopRockOn
01-10-2011, 02:12 AM
If the question is "Can we beat out one (or both) of Milwaukee and Philly to get the 8th (or 7th) spot?" then the answer is "sure." Why not? The bottom nine in the East is that weak.

Can we challenge once/if we do make it to the playoffs? Highly unlikely. I don't think anybody thought we could. This thread is confusing and seems like more JOB venting.

DaveP63
01-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Help??? Seems there might be something there.

http://www.netscoutsbasketball.com/blog/archives/the-nba-in-europe-stanko-barac/

xIndyFan
01-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Help??? Seems there might be something there.

http://www.netscoutsbasketball.com/blog/archives/the-nba-in-europe-stanko-barac/

i hate counting on euro bigs, but if this guy is legit, it would be nice. :pray:

Justin Tyme
01-10-2011, 10:52 AM
i hate counting on euro bigs, but if this guy is legit, it would be nice. :pray:

Last year or the year b4 it was Lorbek doing well. I have no faith in either coming to the Pacers and being a starter or even a great rotational player. How's Tigo Splitter doing with the Spurs this year? He can't beat out Blair. McDyess, or Bonner for playing time! Yet, this was the great Euro big of the past few years who Stanko is replacing.

Lorbec and Stanko may best serve the Pacers as trade fodder in future trades, as I'll be surprised if they ever come to the NBA to play.

DaveP63
01-10-2011, 11:54 AM
I don't normally even pay attention to most euros, especially post players. But, at this stage of the game, what is there to loose? He could be Darko (this is the Pacers, after all) or he could be Gasol. Only one way to find out.

Trophy
01-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Last night O'Brien said:

We have the capability of beating that team, but for some reason, the past 9 meetings with them, we can't find a way to win.

Just the confidence I think within the organization has been lost from earlier this year and we need to see it again.

ksuttonjr76
01-10-2011, 01:07 PM
Does this team believe JOB can coach them to the playoffs should be the question

True that. If the team doesn't believe it, and the coach doesn't believe it, then it was already pre-destined that we wasn't going to make the playoffs this season.

ksuttonjr76
01-10-2011, 01:11 PM
If the question is "Can we beat out one (or both) of Milwaukee and Philly to get the 8th (or 7th) spot?" then the answer is "sure." Why not? The bottom nine in the East is that weak.

Can we challenge once/if we do make it to the playoffs? Highly unlikely. I don't think anybody thought we could. This thread is confusing and seems like more JOB venting.

I wouldn't really call it JOB venting. It's a genuine question of concern. As a player, how motivated would you be if your coach didn't believe you could make the playoffs although there's enought talent to do so? Realistically speaking, I wasn't expecting them to win the 1st Round, but I REALLY thought that the playoffs was an attainable goal this season.