PDA

View Full Version : Hibbert.....I Don't Get It?

presto123
01-08-2011, 02:21 AM
He hasn't looked remotely good in how many games? I can't remember. Are you fans of Roy going on future potential or what? His FG% is horrible unless you count dunks. I guess Rik Smits did get it together although it took quite a while. And I hated Rik's game when we first got him. McRoberts is sitting the bench and right now he's better than Hibbert and Foster. Don't get the love for Foster either?

CableKC
01-08-2011, 02:38 AM
Although I would love to have a Hibbert/McBob/Hansbrough/Foster PF/C rotation ( with Foster getting the least amount of minutes among the 4 )....I don't see how you can say that McBob is better then Hibbert right now. Despite his very poor shooting night and overall sucky month of December....if I had to score in the low-post and I had to choose between Hibbert or McBob....I'd go with Hibbert every time. I'm not saying that I don't like McBob's game...I love it in fact....I'm just saying that you can't compare the 2 as they have 2 totally different games.

Foul on Smits
01-08-2011, 02:44 AM
I feel like Roy is moving too fast. He gets the ball and gets in a rush and it's throwing his shot off. I'd like to see him get the ball in the post and take his time and scope out the defense. Find the open guy if he draws a double team. If no double team, think about who's defending him and how. And make good smart moves to get his shot.

Does anyone else feel like he rushes up bad shots when he's in the post?

beast23
01-08-2011, 03:07 AM
I feel like Roy is moving too fast. He gets the ball and gets in a rush and it's throwing his shot off. I'd like to see him get the ball in the post and take his time and scope out the defense. Find the open guy if he draws a double team. If no double team, think about who's defending him and how. And make good smart moves to get his shot.

Does anyone else feel like he rushes up bad shots when he's in the post?I'd rather he not hold the ball long at all, unless he's already mapped out in his mind that he wants to pass out of a double-team.

I would much rather Hibbert receive the ball, and go up for the shot if he immediately has a clear path, or attempt a fake to make a move and if the that didn't immediately work, push the ball back out and re-establish position.

The last thing I really want to see is the ball in Hibbert's hands for an extended period of time on any one touch. Turn him into an immediate scorer or a quick passer and not someone who jockeys for position with ball or attempts to maintain the ball while trying to finesse. I don't think he is skilled enough or physically strong enough yet to accomplish either.

Hicks
01-08-2011, 03:24 AM
Too often Roy goes too slow or too fast. When he manages to go at that "just right" speed, he is quite effective.

D-BONE
01-08-2011, 06:35 AM
I'd rather he not hold the ball long at all, unless he's already mapped out in his mind that he wants to pass out of a double-team.

I would much rather Hibbert receive the ball, and go up for the shot if he immediately has a clear path, or attempt a fake to make a move and if the that didn't immediately work, push the ball back out and re-establish position.

The last thing I really want to see is the ball in Hibbert's hands for an extended period of time on any one touch. Turn him into an immediate scorer or a quick passer and not someone who jockeys for position with ball or attempts to maintain the ball while trying to finesse. I don't think he is skilled enough or physically strong enough yet to accomplish either.

And I don't know that he'll ever be strong enough or coordinated enough to do the ball dominant thing in the post. Maybe, but no guarantees.

Although he reminds me of Smits in some ways, Smits had two more inches on him and, in my recollecetion, by the time he started to excel was actually bulkier. I don't know that Roy's body frame will ever be able to do that.

Even more reason we should be working his mid-range shooting game hard. He may not be a guy who can always be effective in the post pending the matchup.

Speaking of the mid-range offensive weapon, Tyler Hansbrough showed its value last night. We need all our bigs to be proficient from that distance much more importantly than from downtown.

HOOPFANATIC
01-08-2011, 08:35 AM
I feel that every team out there now knows about Roy. It seems to me he is drawing a lot of double teams in the paint. IMO for Roy to be effective, like Rik Smits, the outside shooters have to be more reliable, to draw some of the coverage away. Rik was far more effective when defenses had the threat of Reggie, Mullin, and Rose. Roy also must get a more reliable 16 footer, he's horribly easy to read. Every scouting report probably says "drop step, hook shot" on it. I do however feel that unless you have exceptional HOF like players it is hard to have the 4&5 both trying to score in the post. I can think of Mchale& Parrish and not much else. Most big time centers have a defensive minded 4, or a floor spacing 4. Tyler and Josh are neither of those.
I do ,however ,like what I see when Roy & Tyler play together. They showed in camp last year that they have great chemistry and energy and may be able to be a "lite" Mchale/Parrish like tandem.

dohman
01-08-2011, 09:42 AM
The thing about roy is he is just missing makeable shots.

The hook shot is a hard shot to master. He will very soon have muscle memory and he will be scoring 15-20 a game.

I truely believe he just needs another summer and he will be amazing. He works to hard not to be.

D-BONE
01-08-2011, 09:49 AM
I feel that every team out there now knows about Roy. It seems to me he is drawing a lot of double teams in the paint. IMO for Roy to be effective, like Rik Smits, the outside shooters have to be more reliable, to draw some of the coverage away. Rik was far more effective when defenses had the threat of Reggie, Mullin, and Rose. Roy also must get a more reliable 16 footer, he's horribly easy to read. Every scouting report probably says "drop step, hook shot" on it. I do however feel that unless you have exceptional HOF like players it is hard to have the 4&5 both trying to score in the post. I can think of Mchale& Parrish and not much else. Most big time centers have a defensive minded 4, or a floor spacing 4. Tyler and Josh are neither of those.
I do ,however ,like what I see when Roy & Tyler play together. They showed in camp last year that they have great chemistry and energy and may be able to be a "lite" Mchale/Parrish like tandem.

I think the point about Roy beings scouted is accurate. I actually think we might be seeing this as far as Danny too...not to mention the offense in general.

The book on Danny is obviously play him physical on and off the ball. Get up into him and force him to put it on the floor b/c his handles and penetration moves are not good enough to blow by a solid defender. He ends up getting forced laterally as opposed to getting a good straight angle to the rim.

Danny has never developed a particularly effective post game either. That would really have helped when he had the height advantage on Ginobili in the fourth.

Bottom line, Granger's offensive game is not sufficiently multi-dimensional for the the expectations we have conferred upon him.

sportfireman
01-09-2011, 09:28 AM
I think the point about Roy beings scouted is accurate. I actually think we might be seeing this as far as Danny too...not to mention the offense in general.

The book on Danny is obviously play him physical on and off the ball. Get up into him and force him to put it on the floor b/c his handles and penetration moves are not good enough to blow by a solid defender. He ends up getting forced laterally as opposed to getting a good straight angle to the rim.

Danny has never developed a particularly effective post game either. That would really have helped when he had the height advantage on Ginobili in the fourth.

Bottom line, Granger's offensive game is not sufficiently multi-dimensional for the the expectations we have conferred upon him.

Totally agreed Danny reminds me of Rashard Lewis. With better defense when he wants to play it.

xIndyFan
01-09-2011, 09:56 AM
I feel like Roy is moving too fast. He gets the ball and gets in a rush and it's throwing his shot off. . . .Does anyone else feel like he rushes up bad shots when he's in the post?

I'd rather he not hold the ball long at all, unless he's already mapped out in his mind that he wants to pass out of a double-team.

Too often Roy goes too slow or too fast. When he manages to go at that "just right" speed, he is quite effective.

i agree with all three. right now roy needs to speed up and slow down his shot at the same time. which is what veteran players do. right now the game looks like it is going too fast for him to follow. with more experience and film study to see where and how he is being defended, roy needs to make the adjustments that all veteran players make during the season. as teams take his current moves away, he needs to see more quickly what he is being given by the defense and more deliberatly take what he is give.

either that or he needs to grow a pair and man up in the paint. :hmm:

righteouscool
01-09-2011, 12:37 PM

It always seems like Granger is required to take his defender off the dribble. Does JOB run plays for him? I think he'd be more effect if they did.

DaveP63
01-09-2011, 12:58 PM
I think he's been scouted enough that the opposition knows how to take him out of his element. The one thing that I'd love to see him do is to work on decision making when he gets the ball down low. You can see him thinking, and thinking, and thinking, and thinking when he gets the ball down low. By that time he's doubled up or getting bodied off the block. I'd like to see him KNOW what he's going to do when he gets the ball and act before the have the opportunity to set up on him. When he was doing that earlier in the year he was very effective.

pacer4ever
01-09-2011, 01:00 PM
I say trade him if we get the right offer. I dont like players who get to high or to low. You should stay level headed during games.

beast23
01-09-2011, 01:15 PM
I don't believe Hibbert will EVER be an overpowering player. However, he can be a player that will be able to be extremely effective, provided that he is surrounded by good enough players to partially remove the defensive focus from him.

To some extent, this can be accomplished when we have multiple perimeter players that are having good games and present themselves as deep threats. But, I think it could be accomplished much better if Hibbert a quality frontcourt partner.

In my estimation, Hibbert will never be as effective as he could be until he is paired with a very, very good PF that is a good rebounder, defender and mid-range shooter. You can argue that these PFs are rare, but that really is the way I see it with Hibbert. He is not physically strong enough to fight and hold position, particulary against double-teams. The only way to gain more advantage for Hibbert is to pair him with a better player in the frontcourt.

Basically, for that reason this is why I promote doing whatever is necessary to go after West. I believe he is likely to opt out of his contract and I believe the Pacers should offer enough for him that all other bidders drop out. Overpaying? Probably. But look at it this way, you gain an exceptional PF and at the same time we finally have a center. We take care of two

You want Hibbert to be the man, get him some help because he is not capable of being the man on his own.

pwee31
01-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Hibbert has lost confidence. When you lose confidence, you over think. When you over think there's no rhythm. All of this has happened to Roy. He's trying to hard to correct everything instead of just playing basketball. He's TRYING to be aggressive, he's TRYING to take his time to analyze the defense, and it's not coming naturally anymore.

A shrink can try and help Roy, but the real help should come from teammates and coaching staff. They need to get Roy in the right position to succeed and get his confidence back up, b/c he's an extremely important part of this team as it is currently built

Sandman21
01-09-2011, 02:09 PM
I think he (and Danny as well) are simply trying too hard, which I think is being partially caused by a certain moron in a suit on our bench.