PDA

View Full Version : Dimemag: NBA Trade Pitch: Danny Granger to the Spurs for Richard Jefferson

Kemo
01-08-2011, 02:19 AM
NBA Trade Pitch: Danny Granger to the Spurs for Richard Jefferson

By Austin Burton
NBA / Jan 7, 2011 / 4:30 pm

http://dimemag.com/2011/01/nba-trade-pitch-danny-granger-to-the-spurs-for-richard-jefferson/

http://dimemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/dannygranger_47_06.jpg

EXCERPT from story ..

The Indiana Pacers have somebody who could be an ideal running mate for Parker down the road in All-Star small forward Danny Granger. Indiana just have to be convinced they want to give him up. Here’s a deal that would work:

Spurs get: Danny Granger
Pacers get: Richard Jefferson, DeJuan Blair, George Hill

Don’t think it can’t happen. Not long ago, Granger (21.1 ppg) was viewed as “untouchable” within the Pacers’ organization as their franchise centerpiece. But according to sources cited by ESPN recently, Indiana has been open to the possibility of trading Granger, who has shown to be more of a streaky shooter than a pure shooter and is criticized for too often settling for long jumpers. Granger has a bit of Brandon Roy-type risk as well, considering injuries have limited him to an average of 64.5 games in each of the last two whole seasons. (He’s missed only one game this season.) Plus the Pacers’ decision-makers have fallen in love with young center Roy Hibbert, who may have taken Granger’s spot as the token “untouchable.”

read on @ link above

TMJ31
01-08-2011, 02:30 AM
I like Blair and Hill, but I've never been a fan of Jefferson.

I think people are jumping off Danny's wagon a bit prematurely here.

He is having a "rough" year, but still putting up good numbers. Yes he needs to adjust his shot selection and improve defensively (at times), but to suggest we are at the point where we ship him off for an aging downgrade at the same position?

No thanks.

Not even the additions of Blair and Hill make that trade worth it in my book. But I am a loyal guy to players of the blue and gold who handle themselves well on and off the court, so perhaps I am in the minority of folks who still give Danny his due?

Sookie
01-08-2011, 02:33 AM
no.

croz24
01-08-2011, 02:40 AM
he's been struggling with his shot for more than just a year now. and i'd attribute those offensive numbers more to the fact that he's a high volume shooter, than actual skill level. give most nba players 18fga per game and they too would average 21+ppg. that said, no way i'd do a deal like that for granger.

Foul on Smits
01-08-2011, 02:40 AM
I dont like the idea of trading our best player for an aging small forward who plays bad defense, a back up point guard and a 21 year old PF with no ACL's in his knee, which might not be bothering him now, but will surely catch up with him sooner rather then later.

beast23
01-08-2011, 02:59 AM
When I first read the title, I thought that perhaps the Spurs had made the plug. Then it became apparent that the author just got an itch and pulled it from the south end of his torso.

Hill is an interesting player and one the Pacers were rumored to be interested in last summer.

Blair is a very good rebounder, but has missed a lot of games due to injury in his career thus far.

Jefferson is a good player, but given the choice I would rather have Granger. At least Granger makes a good 2nd man; I don't conside Jefferson a 1st or 2nd option for a decent team. Since he is the main piece, I'd pass.

graphic-er
01-08-2011, 03:20 AM
This is laugh out loud insulting.

Lord Helmet
01-08-2011, 03:22 AM
That would probably be the dumbest trade in NBA history.

cdash
01-08-2011, 03:33 AM
That would probably be the dumbest trade in NBA history.

Dirk Nowitzki for Tractor Traylor.

Psyren
01-08-2011, 03:48 AM
Ehh, I like all three of them, but I wouldn't trade Granger for them.

Hill is a backup. Blair is just okay. R Jeff does nothing for us.

CooperManning
01-08-2011, 03:57 AM
Not a good trade for either team.

holmes
01-08-2011, 04:17 AM
That trade will never happen since none of the 3 players from SA can stretch the floor with their 3 point shooting.

Roaming Gnome
01-08-2011, 06:30 AM
Sounds like a "Spurs Report" forum posters has someone writing for <s>Dimebag</S> Dimemag.... Talk about a hit to their credibility!

That offer is beyond insulting!

Speed
01-08-2011, 07:49 AM
I'm surprised they didn't throw in 5 - 2nd round picks, ya know, just to even it out.

hoopsforlife
01-08-2011, 08:00 AM
I know I'm not as basketball savy as most, but I would trade Danny Granger for the first good deal that came along.

He is highly overrated in MHO.

SMosley21
01-08-2011, 08:26 AM
I'm not opposed to trading Granger, but not for that package.

HOOPFANATIC
01-08-2011, 08:46 AM
I'd never trade Granger. At least not until I see how he plays for another coach.

Shade
01-08-2011, 08:52 AM
HELL ****ING NO

vnzla81
01-08-2011, 08:55 AM
This thread sucks

DocHolliday
01-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Substitute a young Manu Ginobili (brought in via time machine) for Richard Jefferson, and I'd do the deal. Otherwise, no.

Doddage
01-08-2011, 09:56 AM
This just might be Granger's value at the moment. For that reason, it isn't the time to trade him.

imbtyler
01-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Ehh, I like all three of them, but I wouldn't trade Granger for them.

Hill is a backup. Blair is just okay. R Jeff does nothing for us.

Blair would be a good backup, Hill will get better, but Jefferson isn't worth it whatsoever. If we weren't losing Granger, a trade like this wouldn't be so bad, but it won't happen. If they could eat the contracts, the Spurs could take TJ Ford, Solomon Jones or Jeff Foster off our hands, trade Jefferson to Cleveland, and we don't even have to deal with him.

I'm trying to trade machine this thing into existence, but it's rough. Any other destinations for Jefferson?

BlueNGold
01-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Granger is the best player in that trade and I think we have enough quality depth on the wing. Also, Blair has not impressed. Pass.

Throw in Ginobili for TJ Ford and we can talk about that.

xIndyFan
01-08-2011, 10:27 AM
terrible offer. jefferson is not even in the top half of the league at his position. plus he is making like $30M over the next three seasons. i like hill, but is he any better than darren or AJ? he seems maybe to be about the same to me. blair is playing without any knee ligaments. what is his shelf life? another season at most?

:puke: :bs:

Sookie
01-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Seriously..why in the world would we trade our best player for..

A borderline starter PF..we've got two of those
A borderline starter PG that Obie will use as a SG...we've got two of those
A crappy vet..we've got way too many of those.

Seriously, this trade is about as equal as TJ for Manu

xIndyFan
01-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Seriously..why in the world would we trade our best player for..

A borderline starter PF..we've got two of those
A borderline starter PG that Obie will use as a SG...we've got two of those
A crappy vet..we've got way too many of those.

Seriously, this trade is about as equal as TJ for Manu

TJ and filler for manu, i am in with that. i :love: manu. wish the spurs were in the east so i could see him play more than once a year.

jcouts
01-08-2011, 10:44 AM
If some or all of those three pieces were then immediately used in combination with our existing assets to bring in an actual star player who can do the things that Danny can't, I would definitely consider it.

Otherwise, no thanks.

01-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Whoever wrote this is an idiot.

Richard Jefferson is over the hill. Danny hasn't enterd his prime yet. Danny is allowed to struggle right now. He has no support. He is being double teamed and until the Pacers get another threat Danny will struggle.

Kemo
01-09-2011, 06:31 AM
This thread sucks

LoL... HEY NOW ...

I just see the stories, and report them... Don't shoot the messenger ..

For the record ..
I think the trade being proposed sucks too.
I am probably in the minority here , whom does NOT want to trade Danny..

Foul on Smits
01-09-2011, 06:49 AM

Richard Jefferson is over the hill. Danny hasn't enterd his prime yet. Danny is allowed to struggle right now. He has no support. He is being double teamed and until the Pacers get another threat Danny will struggle.

at this rate, coaxing Danny into entering his prime is like coaxing my dog to get in the bath tub so i can scrub him clean.

purdue101
01-09-2011, 09:02 AM

I disagree, typically players that are entering their prime do not regress. Danny has regressed significantly since the 08/09 season, and he essentially has the same supporting cast & coach. I'm not sure what's going on with Danny, but it appears he has lost his edge and killer instinct. He's too passive in games and tends to defer taking the lead. It's sad how far he has fallen since his all-star year.

With that said, I think some in the league are still high on him and if I were Larry, I would shop him. The Spurs deal is not good value and I would decline that, but there are other players rumored to be available. Guys like Favors, Love, Aldridge maybe available, and I believe they all have higher ceilings than Danny and fill a position of need (PF & youth). Plus, you now bring PT to the table for George/Lance, who also have higher ceiling.

Stars win championships in this league - Danny is not a star. He's the second best player on a playoff team and third best on a contender. We rolled the dice on the JO trade and hit payday. Sometimes you have to take that risk instead of treading in mediocrity.

ksuttonjr76
01-09-2011, 09:47 AM
I'd never trade Granger. At least not until I see how he plays for another coach.

Honestly, I'm in this camp about Granger, and the entire team. We're underachieving so bad right now....

xIndyFan
01-09-2011, 10:01 AM
pacers should not trade danny unless they get a better player coming back. pacers do not need bodies, they need stars/better players. instead of trading granger for a couple of three prospects/young players, they need to package danny and someone else for a really good player. preferably a PF.

Justin Tyme
01-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Aldridge maybe available,

Only in your dreams! I'd take Aldridge in a heartbeat for Granger. Why would Portland give up a really good player at a position that is hard to fill for a good player at a position that is easier to fill?

Justin Tyme
01-09-2011, 10:18 AM
pacers should not trade danny unless they get a better player coming back. pacers do not need bodies, they need stars/better players. instead of trading granger for a couple of three prospects/young players, they need to package danny and someone else for a really good player. preferably a PF.

Couldn't agree more.

BornReady#6
01-09-2011, 10:20 AM
We would have to at least get Splitter, Hill, Blair, and 2- 1st rounders.

grace
01-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Just say no to Richard Jefferson. Never really liked him when he was in Milwaukee. Haven't missed him a bit since he's been gone.

ksuttonjr76
01-09-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm pretty confident that Granger would welcome the trade.

BringJackBack
01-09-2011, 12:22 PM
As someone that would trade Granger for the right pieces right now, I think this offer is plain stupid.

speakout4
01-09-2011, 12:56 PM
I don't want to watch Jefferson for the next four years.

Sandman21
01-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Dirk Nowitzki for Tractor Traylor.

Tom Owens for a 1984 First Round draft pick. No contest.

pacer4ever
01-09-2011, 02:30 PM

Pau Gasol for Kwame Brown

pwee31
01-09-2011, 02:34 PM
I hate all the Granger trade talk, just get the guy some help! No one else on this team is knocking down shots consistently.

The recent game where that happened (Hansbrough against the Spurs) the Pacers were in position to win against the team with the best record in the NBA. Yeah Granger and the team came up short, but it was a winnable game b/c everything wasn't put on Danny Granger.

We talked about how much better this team is on paper than years past, but no one is producing, and you can't hold Granger accountable for that.

I in no way want Troy Murphy back on this team, but at least the guy made shots and would go for double digit points consistently.

Collison has struggle a bit, Dunleavy has struggle, Hibbert has struggled, Rush has struggled.

I think Hansbrough will help if given the time, but players have to start stepping up, and the coach needs to make changes to the gameplan or be changed

Taterhead
01-09-2011, 03:02 PM
I personally feel that Granger is very over rated right now. I also think his gaudy scoring numbers are more a result of O'Briens ignorant offensive philosophy than his talent. He is definitely a great shooter though, and I would hate to see him go. But so far, I find him to be a lack luster leader, and a rampant under achiever on defense. He gets out hustled all the time. Manu made him look silly and lazy on a few plays. That's not good when you're leader gives a so-so effort. It is one of my biggest gripes when paying to watch them play. I don't wanna pay for crap. I work hard for my money.

That being said, in a contending situation with the right coach Danny could easily blossom into a beast of a SF. I am more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until I see him under a new coach and surrounded by more talent.

And there is no way in hell I would trade him for that garbage. It seems like the league just wants the bad teams to give their best players to the top 3-4 teams in the league. Sounds like MLB.

IndySDExport
01-09-2011, 03:16 PM
And where are the roster spots for a 1 for 3 player swap?

Sandman21
01-09-2011, 04:13 PM

Not even close. Look up what that pick became.

pacer4ever
01-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Not even close. Look up what that pick became.

but at the time that trade was robbery plus they have won title together(kobe pau)

pizza guy
01-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Wow, Granger to SA probably gets them into the Finals. Granger next to Duncan, Manu, and Parker...wow, that would be a heckuva team.

It's also the kind of team that Danny needs to be successful -- a team where he's NOT the #1, or really close to it. He would be incredible there.

That said, no way this is a good trade. Absolutely no way. And I have no problem trading Granger either.

LA_Confidential
01-09-2011, 10:46 PM
I personally feel that Granger is very over rated right now. I also think his gaudy scoring numbers are more a result of O'Briens ignorant offensive philosophy than his talent. He is definitely a great shooter though, and I would hate to see him go. But so far, I find him to be a lack luster leader, and a rampant under achiever on defense. He gets out hustled all the time. Manu made him look silly and lazy on a few plays. That's not good when you're leader gives a so-so effort. It is one of my biggest gripes when paying to watch them play. I don't wanna pay for crap. I work hard for my money.

That being said, in a contending situation with the right coach Danny could easily blossom into a beast of a SF. I am more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until I see him under a new coach and surrounded by more talent.

And there is no way in hell I would trade him for that garbage. It seems like the league just wants the bad teams to give their best players to the top 3-4 teams in the league. Sounds like MLB.

All players on losing teams are over rated.

LA_Confidential
01-09-2011, 10:50 PM
I don't want to watch Jefferson for the next four years.

Agreed. It would be horribly similar to watching Jimmy these past four years.

odeez
01-09-2011, 11:13 PM
noooooo!

DaveP63
01-10-2011, 08:38 AM
Not Jefferson. Not now, not ever. IF there was something else out there, I'd be more interested in it.

Roaming Gnome
01-10-2011, 09:06 AM

You didn't just compare these two trade misses, did you?! :jawdrop:

Justin Tyme
01-10-2011, 09:29 AM
All players on losing teams are over rated.

Blake Griffin is soooo overrated! Not to mention Kevin Love, Rudy Gay, Zach Randolph, Bogut, Curry just to name a few on losing teams, so they must all be overrated as well. I guess Durant was overrated too when he was playing on a losing team. I'd love to be able to enjoy watching some of those overrated players playing for the Pacers!

That's probably one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever seen posted on PD!