PDA

View Full Version : How many pick and rolls did the Pacers run against the Spurs? 33

Unclebuck
01-07-2011, 11:21 PM
Yes I counted, yes I counted every single one, yes it wsn't as fun as it might sound

First quarter the Pacers ran 10 pick and rolls. Broken down as follows: Collison 7, Ford 3. Meaning Collison was the ball handler in 7 and Ford was the ball hander in 3.

Second quarter Collison ran 5, Ford ran 2

Third quarter Collison ran 5 Ford ran 1.

Fourth quarter Collison ran 4, Ford ran 2.

I also counted those times when the point guard was not involved in the pick and roll, I think all of these involved Danny. 4 didn't involve the pt. guard.

So that is a grand total of 33 tonight. I think that is about average, My guess is the pacers run on average around 30 per game.

Keep in mind I didn't count them if the play was to run a pick and roll, I only counted them when they actually ran it. There was probably another half dozen times when the pacers were setting up for one but for whatever reason they broke the play.

So as I suspected the problem isnt that they never run pick and rolls, it is they have horrible execution when they do run them. And that was clearly the case tonight

Day-V
01-07-2011, 11:45 PM
Were you including the pick-and-pops to Tyler? Because I felt those worked pretty effectively.

Unclebuck
01-07-2011, 11:47 PM
Were you including the pick-and-pops to Tyler? Because I felt those worked pretty effectively.

Yes I counted those and yes that was our most effective play tonight by far.

But yes pick and rolls, pick and pops I counted both

SMosley21
01-08-2011, 02:47 AM
You let PD effect how you watch the Pacers a little too much.

beast23
01-08-2011, 04:12 AM
...So that is a grand total of 33 tonight. I think that is about average, My guess is the pacers run on average around 30 per game...Well, got any mustard for my shoe?

That number totally took me by surprise. Thanks by the way for including the number actually run by Collison.

So, in your opinion, Tyler is effective in PnR/PnP situations?

Do you have a breakdown that lists the pick men and how many times they were involved? And of course, your evaluation of the effectiveness of each.

cdash
01-08-2011, 04:36 AM

At least he's making a concerted effort to back up his arguments. More than we can say about most of us on this board.

SMosley21
01-08-2011, 09:17 AM
At least he's making a concerted effort to back up his arguments. More than we can say about most of us on this board.

I'm not saying the effort isn't appreciated, but I don't think any of us should let our debates on PD lead to us watching games with any intentions other than enjoying/hating the game. Let Hollinger worry about the obscure stats.

Unclebuck
01-08-2011, 09:31 AM

I was theorizing that the Pacers ran a lot more pick and rolls than most of us thought. But in roder to argue that effectively I needed to know how many they actually ran

OakMoses
01-08-2011, 09:35 AM
I was theorizing that the Pacers ran a lot more pick and rolls than most of us thought. But in roder to argue that effectively I needed to know how many they actually ran

Too bad Count and his Synergy account aren't around much anymore.

The really sad thing, however, is that we're absolutely awful at the pick and roll.

xIndyFan
01-08-2011, 11:42 AM
boy that is the truth. pacer bigs are the worst pick setters. plus the pacer ball handlers go around the pick man like he forgot to shower last week. a pick doesn't do much good if you leave 3 feet of space between you and the pick.

i am not a good player, but how hard is it to set a pick? :confused:

D-BONE
01-09-2011, 08:48 AM
boy that is the truth. pacer bigs are the worst pick setters. plus the pacer ball handlers go around the pick man like he forgot to shower last week. a pick doesn't do much good if you leave 3 feet of space between you and the pick.

i am not a good player, but how hard is it to set a pick? :confused:

Yes and our off the ball screen and set up fundamentals are equally bad.