PDA

View Full Version : Contender/Pretender vol. 11 - Indiana Pacers

Ultimate Frisbee
09-03-2004, 07:11 PM
Edition Eleven of the Pacers Digest version of Contender/Pretender belongs to your Indiana Pacers!!

In any case, try to be objective and give your opinion, backed up by stats, players, quotes, etc. of the potential of the team this year. List strenghts and weaknesses, and areas that need improvement.

Starters:

Jamal Tinsley - PG
Stephen Jackson - SG (he'll at least get the most minutes)
Ron Artest - SF
Jermaine O'Neal - PF
Jeff Foster - C

Bench:

Jonathan Bender
Austin Croshere
Eddie Gill
David Harrison
Anthony Johnson
Fred Jones
James Jones
Reggie Miller
Scot Pollard

Coach: Rick Carlisle

You know the drill...

ChicagoJ
09-03-2004, 07:27 PM
Alright, I'll go first.

Pretender.

:devil:

Signed,
Mr. Contrarian

indygeezer
09-03-2004, 07:43 PM
I was going to say WEAK BENCH...but not if you START Reggie and bring Jackso in off the bench. If Reggie comes off the bench and can't hit the ocean we have a problem. If he starts the oppostion at least has to play him honest until they see otherwise...then Jackson can come in.

Bender HAD BETTER HAVE A STELLAR YEAR or the bench is toast.

If Pollard makes ANY improvemnta at all...we're that much better off. But it remains to be seen what the loss of AH means to the make-up of this team. It opens it up ALOT...but it also opens up alot of questions.

Predicted record 58-24

RA231
09-03-2004, 07:46 PM
Contender

Weaknesses-lacks a big bulky center

Strenghs-their bench, Artest and Oneal, and Jackson is an upgrade over Miller. Every thing else remains the same for a 61 win team.

Destined4Greatness
09-03-2004, 07:46 PM
CONTENDER, OH YEAH.

A .785 winning record after Feb 20. Not to mention we have shored up our weaknesses. Quite possibly could have a better season than last year. And will prevail and get Reggie his ring.

Tinsley - True PG, and bound to improve, just as he did last year.

Artest - Determined to show his worth

O'Neal - He is Jermaine O'Neal and will be his first season after resting during the offseaseon for sometime.

Jackson - Developed Greatly during his time at Atlanta and is bound to learn alot from Reggie

Harrison - IMHO our starting C later on in the year. He is a true center who is extremely dedicated and was only still left to be picked because there were questions of his work ethic, well its been answered.
Misspelling

Kstat
09-03-2004, 08:00 PM
Harrison - IMHO our starting C later on in the year. He is a true center who is extremely dedicated and was only still left to be picked because there were questions of his work ethic, well its been answered.

:confused:

If Harrison is STARTING later on in the year, somebody has pushed the panic button:laugh:

Burt_Reincarnated
09-03-2004, 08:09 PM
2005 NBA champs if they keep Artest and SJ plays like his contract.

Destined4Greatness
09-03-2004, 08:17 PM
Whats with the bold

Sollozzo
09-03-2004, 08:20 PM
The Pacers will win alot of games again, but we all know it's all about the playoffs, and getting to the finals is all that matters.

Ultimate Frisbee
09-03-2004, 08:30 PM
Its really hard to be objective on this... but...

I think that any team that had the best record in the league last year is a contender... so we've got that out of the way. But... we got rid of Harrington and got Jackson, which in the mind of an outsider can only be viewed as a downgrade...

That means that we must hope for increased production from what we already have.

Right now we have a huge hole behind J.O. (which is most appropriately filled with Foster, who is currently our starting center)

Tinsley will be a decent PG and we shouldn't worry about J.O. or Ron...

I'd say another second round out, unless we get major production from Bender, Pollard, and/or Croshere

Destined4Greatness
09-03-2004, 08:37 PM
Its really hard to be objective on this... but...

I think that any team that had the best record in the league last year is a contender... so we've got that out of the way. But... we got rid of Harrington and got Jackson, which in the mind of an outsider can only be viewed as a downgrade...

That means that we must hope for increased production from what we already have.

Right now we have a huge hole behind J.O. (which is most appropriately filled with Foster, who is currently our starting center)

Tinsley will be a decent PG and we shouldn't worry about J.O. or Ron...

I'd say another second round out, unless we get major production from Bender, Pollard, and/or Croshere

Most people on the other boards I go to say that S-Jax is an improvement, and I am the only Pacers fan on that board. And whats this about another second round out.

Sollozzo
09-03-2004, 08:43 PM
It doesn't really matter who is better between Harrington or SJAX, it's what we needed. Harrington was a forward, something we have plenty of. What we needed was a strong SG that could produce instantly and be the long term replacement of Reggie, and that's what SJAX is.

If Bender can just give us something, we will have it made.

Roaming Gnome
09-03-2004, 09:13 PM
Pretender...Those guys suck!

Not! ;)

DisplacedKnick
09-03-2004, 09:35 PM
I could get goofy but I'm short of time.

Indy's part of the big four - or maybe I should say The Big Four, along with Detroit, Minn and the Spurs. The final four should be fun.

Joel
09-04-2004, 02:22 AM
Contender.. But the fairly week bench, lack of outside shooting, and lack of a great PG or C tells me it'll be another 2nd round or ECF loss. The Pistons and Heat front courts are too strong for the Pacers in the playoffs.

Lord Helmet
09-04-2004, 02:29 AM
Contenders we will win 58-60 games.We have to hope Bender puts in quality minutes and numbers.I say we beat either Miami or Detrit in the ECF and go to the Finals and win the Champinoship.:devil:

Will Galen
09-04-2004, 06:03 AM
Indy will bolt from the box like a scaled dog and then speed up. Will beat Minn. in the finals.

Record 65-17

indygeezer
09-04-2004, 07:31 AM
Oh you're back huh? Got your hatches battened down?

HEY FOLKS LISTEN UP!!! If you don't recognnize it yet REMEMBER THIS. THe way the play-offs are currently constructed Indiana would face Detroit in the SECOND ROUND. Remember that when constructing your scenarios. Just a gentle reminder.

SoupIsGood
09-04-2004, 10:43 AM
I don't see how people consider our bench weak...

I think Tinsley will have a good year, and a combo of Fred/Reg/SJax will fix our outside shooting problems (I really like how fred's shot is coming along). Our only weakness is we don't have a big enforcer center down low, but except for when we play Miami, we should be fine there. Besides, foster is pretty good defensivly. If pollard can recover from whatever the hell happened last year and become a good backup again I think we're set.

Bender developing would be nice, but I have no problem with Cro backing up Jermaine. Cro may not be worth his contract, but he can still play decent.

Pig Nash
09-04-2004, 12:57 PM
These guys suck. They can't shoot, they don't have enough size. I don't think they'll get out of the first round. Oh wait. Nevermind.

Shade
09-04-2004, 01:16 PM
Pretenders.

Oh, wait...the Pacers? I thought we were talking about the Pistons! :laugh: :p

Seriously, though, contenders. Duh. :p

SoupIsGood
09-04-2004, 01:31 PM
Pacers will be the spurs in 7 games for the trophy baby. :trophy:

Pig Nash
09-04-2004, 02:07 PM
so how will the pacers be the spurs? some sorta whacko black magic?

SoupIsGood
09-04-2004, 02:13 PM
Almost Every time I type beat, in this crazy text box thing it comes out be.

It also randomly puts me at the bottom of the scroll box, and deletes random words. :mad:

Some of my posts look like this before I fix it:

Yeah I think JO Artest might get year.

should be starting the all star game. To start next