PDA

View Full Version : JO.....KG.......?

JOneal7
09-03-2004, 02:15 AM
Who do you think is better? (Let's not all be homers here) But i really think JO does the same stuff KG Does...KG JUST NOW got his team out the first round like JO...They went to the western conf. Finals vs The Lake Show just like the pacers did vs the pistons...KG has cassell,spree,wally... JO has Ron Ron, Reggie, SJax (was harrington). I actually think this year that will be the finals matchup. (Who really is going to come out of the west besides them...Houston? San Antonio? yeah ok) Both have pretty much the same averages. Yet for some reason people think KG's like top 5 in the L and JO is he even mentioned top 10 in the L?
I don't think JO gets the respect because he's in the east. I mean, his team had the best record in basketball last yr! And he doesn't get the MVP? But KG does?
Injustice!
so who's better?
I Say JO.

efx
09-03-2004, 03:10 AM
I love JO. I realize he is the cornerstone of this franchise and the most important player on the pacers team. He can and will probably get better.

But... KG is a better player than him. Their averages are not equal. KG is one of those unguardable players in the leauge that really puts him in the top tier.

I'd never call myself a homer. I just call it as I see it. KG is a noticably better player but that should in no way detract from what JO has done and will do.

Hoop
09-03-2004, 03:33 AM
I'm sure glad we have JO and would only trade him for a very select group of players, but KG is one of them.

KG is the better player, I don't see anyway to argue otherwise. I think JO can still get better and probably is a little better defender & shot blocker, but I really don't think he'll ever be as good a total package as KG is.

SoupIsGood
09-03-2004, 06:01 AM
JO has the potential to be just as good as KG, but I'm sure that will happen. However, JO probably is better on defense at guarding the true power forwards, where KG lacks the strength. I probably wouldn't trade JO for KG because I really think of KG as an SF. I know his averages go up at PF, but I think he'd play better SF.

edit... correction - I'm NOT sure that will happen

Harddrive7
09-03-2004, 07:45 AM
Oh I think that JO can hit a lot harder than KG...:laugh:

OH, you mean as a player? KG has got to be the better player. He's quicker, more atheletic, and seems to move better around the basket.

indygeezer
09-03-2004, 07:57 AM
If he ever gets over the injury bug, Bender will be our Garnett, not JO.

JO is good...but Bender can be better.

DisplacedKnick
09-03-2004, 08:01 AM
KG - easy. He's a better passer, scorer, rebounder, ballhandler and defender.

What else is there?

The one edge JO has is scoring in the post - he's better from 10 feet in.

Stryder
09-03-2004, 08:05 AM
Who do you think is better? (Let's not all be homers here) But i really think JO does the same stuff KG Does...KG JUST NOW got his team out the first round like JO...They went to the western conf. Finals vs The Lake Show just like the pacers did vs the pistons...KG has cassell,spree,wally... JO has Ron Ron, Reggie, SJax (was harrington). I actually think this year that will be the finals matchup. (Who really is going to come out of the west besides them...Houston? San Antonio? yeah ok) Both have pretty much the same averages. Yet for some reason people think KG's like top 5 in the L and JO is he even mentioned top 10 in the L?
I don't think JO gets the respect because he's in the east. I mean, his team had the best record in basketball last yr! And he doesn't get the MVP? But KG does?
Injustice!
so who's better?
I Say JO.

Averages are the pretty much the same? LOL.

Here are both average lines from last season:

J.O. - 20.1 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 2.1 apg, 2.6 bpg, 2.3 turnovers per game, 43.4% fg, and 75.7% from ft., 0.8 steals per game.

KG - 24.2 ppg, 13.9 rpg, 5.0 apg, 2.2 bpg, 2.6 turnovers per game, 49.9% fg, and 79% from ft., 1.5 steals per game

Right now KG is far and away better than JO.

But, with JO being a little less than 2 years younger than KG, JO has the POTENTIAL to be just as good or even better.

He really needs to elevate that scoring average and especially rebound average.

I say to at least 24 ppg and 12 rpg.

Lord Helmet
09-03-2004, 08:56 AM
KG is better than JO right now.But if JO can score and rebound more and learn how to pass out of double teams better I say hes a legit MVP canidate this year.

naptown
09-03-2004, 10:25 AM
KG is a freak. That is all there is to it. The guy is a flat out freak. He is a much better player than JO....and JO is very, very good. KG is just a freak though.

Kstat
09-03-2004, 02:02 PM
KG is a freak. That is all there is to it. The guy is a flat out freak. He is a much better player than JO....and JO is very, very good. KG is just a freak though.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

JO is a great player, no shame in that. But KG is the best player in the NBA. Period. Can't compete with that.

Zesty
09-03-2004, 02:57 PM
KG - easy. He's a better passer, scorer, rebounder, ballhandler and defender.

What else is there?

The one edge JO has is scoring in the post - he's better from 10 feet in.

Can't argue with any of that.

ROCislandWarrior
09-03-2004, 03:33 PM

KG looks like he has an 8 foot wingspan when he plays. When was the last time you saw a 7'1" guy drive to the hole, jump stop on a dime, change directions and put the ball in the hole in traffic.

he truly is a freak

DisplacedKnick
09-03-2004, 03:50 PM

You got that right. In my lighter moments, I say that KG plays the KG position - he is the most unique player the league has seen since Wilt.

Hicks
09-03-2004, 03:51 PM

JO is a great player, no shame in that. But KG is the best player in the NBA. Period. Can't compete with that.

Agreed.

Vicious Tyrant
09-03-2004, 03:53 PM
It's probably also worth mentioning that KG brings an infectious enegry with him seems to infect the whole team.

I don't see him regularly during the regular season, but every time I see him play he seems to not only be the best player on the floor, but the most excited to be playing.

LouisvilleLip
09-03-2004, 04:36 PM
Kg is definetly better. Hes as everyone has said a freak. There isnt anyone quite like him. Hes 7 feet tall with a crazy wingspan. He can jump higher than most big men. Hes faster than most big men. Hes also got the fundamentals to go with his superior body. Great rebounder, shotblocker, shoot from anywhere on the court. Hes a way better passer than Jermaine.

I dont think Jermaine will ever develop into a Kg type player cause he just doesnt have the same body type do some of the things kg can do. But i do think Jermaine can develop into a better player than he already is.

Nobody can compare with Kg at the moment hes just a rare specimen.

SoupIsGood
09-03-2004, 05:28 PM
If KG was ever on a team I was coaching, I'd put him at SF and look for a little more toughness inside. It's nothing on KG, i just don't think his body type is big enough to be a true duncan-esque PF.

Ultimate Frisbee
09-03-2004, 06:42 PM

what they said :-)

JOneal7
09-03-2004, 10:49 PM
you say that because he can't be stopped?Well neither can Tmac? Tmac is better than KG. He just didn't have the cast he did. KG is way overrated.

RA231
09-03-2004, 10:58 PM
you say that because he can't be stopped?Well neither can Tmac? Tmac is better than KG. He just didn't have the cast he did. KG is way overrated.

IMO you are makin JO overrated.

Here are both average lines from last season:

J.O. - 20.1 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 2.1 apg, 2.6 bpg, 2.3 turnovers per game, 43.4% fg, and 75.7% from ft., 0.8 steals per game.

KG - 24.2 ppg, 13.9 rpg, 5.0 apg, 2.2 bpg, 2.6 turnovers per game, 49.9% fg, and 79% from ft., 1.5 steals per game

Right now KG is far and away better than JO.

Stryder
09-03-2004, 11:00 PM

Did you look at the stats I posted above?

Probably not.

You call a player that has stats like KG has "overrated"?

You need to re-evaluate what a complete basketball player really is.

It's not TMac.

Vicious Tyrant
09-03-2004, 11:41 PM
If KG was ever on a team I was coaching, I'd put him at SF and look for a little more toughness inside. It's nothing on KG, i just don't think his body type is big enough to be a true duncan-esque PF.

You know, I think I agree with you there.

BTW, this is my 100th post. Cards sent to me care of PD will be adequate.

SoupIsGood
09-04-2004, 12:25 AM
You guys are using stats too much. Just because KG has better stats doesn't mean he will always be better.

However, I agree, KG is the better overall player, because he imposes himself on the game much more than JO. KG often seems impossible to stop on both ends of the court. JO's not quite there yet.

But, I think the things KG excells at could be replaced much more easily than an actual inside presence. If I had to build my team around one, I'd pick JO, because an inside presence is hard to find, but lots of SF's are superathletic decent shooters decent passers that can take people of the dribble.

I tend to agree with the sports guy or bill simmons, whoever, I'm not sure they are the same guy or not, on one thing. He thinks Garnett is the greatest second option of all time, and I would agree with that. No team will ever win a championship with KG as their first option. Just my opinion though. ;)

Kstat
09-04-2004, 12:34 AM
o team will ever win a championship with KG as their first option.

So let me get this straight.....RIP HAMILTON can be the #1 scorer on a championship team, but KEVIN GARNETT cant?:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

SoupIsGood
09-04-2004, 12:43 AM
Rip also killed teams when it matters. Garnett defers the big shot an awful lot.

Besides, Detroit was kind of the exception to a lot of rules this year. I wouldn't really say any of Billups, Rip, or Sheed were a clear cut #1 option last year. They were all capable of having a big game on you, and all about equal on offense, IMO.

The fact that Rip was anyway is irrevelant, I don't think KG can be. That really has nothing to do with rip. I just don't think Garnett will win a championship with him being the number one option. He is no doubt a great player, one of the best ever. Just not a championship winner. He also doesn't make his teamates much better, like some of the great ones.

Kstat
09-04-2004, 12:50 AM
I don't want to hear about exceptions and what-ifs, I want a straight answer: Replace Rip Hamilton with Kevin Garnett, and the Pistons would not win the NBA title. Correct?

DisplacedKnick
09-04-2004, 12:55 AM
Any team with Kevin Garnett where he isn't the number 1 option either has Shaq or TD on the team or a coach who's a total friggin' idiot.

Kstat
09-04-2004, 12:56 AM
Any team with Kevin Garnett where he isn't the number 1 option either has Shaq or TD on the team or a coach who's a total friggin' idiot.

Thats the point I'm trying to make.

SoupIsGood
09-04-2004, 12:59 AM
KG could win all he fantasy teams you want, KStat. Reality is if KG was on your team things would be a lot different. First, you wouldn't be able to afford some of your other key role players, and probably wouldn't hav ever acquired rasheed. KG's "leadership", which I've never thought too highly off, might ruin team morale. Kg also wouldn't thrive as well in a walk it up offense either.

Reality also is that KG plays for T'Wolves, and always will, during his legitimate 1st option days. But sure, you can put him on any fantasy team and say you'd win. But in reality KG I don't think will ever win the big one.

And you say you don't want to hear exceptions or what if's, but your question is one big what if. That's a pretty unfair question, KStat. I can't answer one what-if without another.

SoupIsGood
09-04-2004, 01:04 AM

No doubt.

I never said KG shouldn't be the number one option. I said he won't win a championship being one. He may win one when he's older and his athleticism gone, no longer the number one option, and plays a more a more scottie pippen-ish role, to some other great player. (Much like David Robinson and TD).