PDA

View Full Version : Contender/Pretender Vol. 10 - Houston Rockets

Ultimate Frisbee
09-02-2004, 05:23 PM
Tell us what you think of the prospects of the 2004-2005 Houston Rockets are.

We are going in Alphabetical order and Vol. 10 is the Houston Rockets

For reference, their starters are (Let me know if these are incorrect):

Tyronn Lue? - PG
Tracy McGrady - SG
Jimmy Jackson - SF
Juwan Howard - PF
Yao Ming - C

The Bench is populated with the following:

Reece Gains (G)
Adrian Griffin (G-F)
Bostjan Nachbar (F)
Scott Padgett (F)
Eric Piatkowski (G-F)
Bob Sura (G)
Maurice Taylor (PF)
Clarence Weatherspoon (F)
Charlie Ward (PG) *edit oops, forgot him, thanks!
Mike Wilks (PG)

Coach: Jeff Van Gundy

unstandable
09-02-2004, 05:25 PM
They also have Charlie Ward, who I heard might start at PG.

ChicagoJ
09-02-2004, 06:29 PM
Tell us what you think of the prospects of the 2004-2005 Houston Rockets are.

We are going in Alphabetical order and Vol. 10 is the Houston Rockets

For reference, their starters are (Let me know if these are incorrect):

Tyronn Lue? - PG
Tracy McGrady - SG
Jimmy Jackson - SF
Juwan Howard - PF
Yao Ming - C

The Bench is populated with the following:

Reece Gains (G)
Adrian Griffin (G-F)
Bostjan Nachbar (F)
Scott Padgett (F)
Eric Piatkowski (G-F)
Bob Sura (G)
Maurice Taylor (PF)
Clarence Weatherspoon (F)
Charlie Ward (PG) *edit oops, forgot him, thanks!
Mike Wilks (PG)

Coach: Jeff Van Gundy

Does this look like the type of team JVG would like to coach? I think they are still going to make several more roster moves before the dust settles.

DisplacedKnick
09-02-2004, 06:30 PM
They're a playoff team but a year away from being a true contender - if they make it to the 2nd rd I'll consider them for next year.

Ultimate Frisbee
09-02-2004, 06:47 PM
I'm guessing they will be pretenders... They don't have a single guy over 6'9'' on the team except for Yao... If Yao gets injured or tired... what then?

They have way too many tweeners on their team...

The starting five should be good enough to get them into the playoffs, but not past the first round.

Fool
09-03-2004, 09:56 AM
I do believe Ward is the starter but then again I wouldn't start Lue on a highschool team.

This team definately has enough guys that can get you points but yes they are shallow when it comes to size.

I can't see JVG ever having McGrady and Yao on the bench at the same time so there will always be someone to cycle the offense through. Jackson, Taylor, Sura, and definately Howard are all compitent scoring to surround a superstar with.

The only problem is defense both this teams and other teams. I think JVG can get them to play it (and compitently) but they aren't going to be locking any teams down and the stronger defensive teams in the league (see Spurs) should be able to cope with Yao and McGrady enough to make it necessary for the support cast to have to really step up to get the win in the playoffs.

I like Houston but it would be an upset to see them in the final. Can they make it? Yeah, I think they are one of the few who I think can. Do I think they will? No, I wouldn't bet on it.

Oh, and don't forget chemistry! This team has had a HUGE amount of turnover from last season and now has two superstars (one who isn't a native English speaker) to juggle. If the team can gel by the end of the season they could be amazing to watch. If there is turmoil they could be the biggest dissapointment in the league.

MZahm
09-03-2004, 01:46 PM
They're a true point guard away from being a contender. They should have gone after, maybe Eric Snow or someone like that, despite his high salary. With his defense and passing I think they'd have been right up there with San Antonio and Minnesota.

Kstat
09-03-2004, 02:16 PM
Any team that has two of the top 10 players in the NBA is a contender in my book. Especially when one of them is a center.

canyoufeelit
09-03-2004, 02:41 PM
Why are you calling Yao a top ten player? The skills are there but he hasn't really showed the killer instinct in the NBA (though he was a one-man wrecking crew in Athens)

And can you BELIEVE he hasn't averaged 10 rebounds per game yet? At 7'5"?

But if he improves and McGrady fits well into JVG's system, they are a contender. JVG is like the Bill Parcells or Bill Belichick of basketball :cool:

Kstat
09-03-2004, 02:58 PM
Yes, Yao is CLEARLY the 2nd-best center in the NBA, I think that warrents a top-10 ranking.

Now that Houston has PGs who's sole job is to GET HIM THE BALL, you'll see just how good he really is.

Ultimate Frisbee
09-03-2004, 06:50 PM
I'd say Yao is a top 10 player.... as in.. he'd be one of the first 10 players I'd pick if I could pick anyone from the NBA currently to build my team around..

I'm still not conviced that McGrady is a top-10er though..

Ultimate Frisbee
09-03-2004, 06:55 PM
Supposedly, the Rockets are trying to acquire Mutumbo...

I'm not really sure that that is the best course of action, though I do think they need a backup center.

javascript:newwind('http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1873684','51')

"

Email Story

Most Sent

Print Story

Daily Email

ESPN Toolbar

Readability
Font:VerdanaArialCourierLucida GrandeTimes
Size:9101112131415161718192021222324
Thursday, September 2, 2004

Associated Press
HOUSTON -- The Houston Rockets are close to a deal that would add veteran center Dikembe Mutombo as the backup to Yao Ming, a television station reported Thursday.

The Rockets would send Eric Piatkowski, Adrian Griffin and Mike Wilks to the Chicago Bulls, Houston television station KRIV said in a report citing anonymous NBA sources.

The deal, which could be done as early as next week, needs the approval of Bulls ownership and the NBA, the station said.

Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson declined comment.

Wilks, a free agent, would have to sign with the Rockets first.

"I have considered this deal to be imminent for about a month," his agent, Bill Neff, said. "In the last week, Carroll Dawson asked me not to sign Mike Wilks with someone else. If it was anybody but Carroll Dawson, I would probably ignore them. Mike Wilks will not be an issue."

Mutombo, an eight-time All-Star and four-time defensive player of the year, has averaged 12.2 points, 12.1 rebounds and 3.33 blocked shots in 13 years with New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Atlanta and Denver. He is fourth in NBA history with 2,996 blocks.

He played in 65 games with the Knicks last season, averaging 6.7 rebounds and 5.6 points, before being traded to the Bulls."

smoothie
09-15-2004, 12:16 PM
so with a team of:

yao-deke
howard-mo-spoon
tmac-nachbar-padgett
jj-sura
ward-lue-gaines

maybe not a contender this year. i consider a contender top 4 or 5 in the league, and they aren't there yet. next year, wit hthe correct 'tweeks' they will be.

beast23
09-16-2004, 06:34 PM
The Rockets have good combination of interior size and ability (Yao/Howard) and perimeter shooters (T-Mac/Sura) to cause problems for anyone.

Their starting lineup is strong, and they have a couple of steady players in the second unit.

They gel going into the playoffs and they could easily contend.

beast23
09-16-2004, 06:34 PM
The Rockets have good combination of interior size and ability (Yao/Howard) and perimeter shooters (T-Mac/Sura) to cause problems for anyone.

Their starting lineup is strong, and they have a couple of steady players in the second unit.

They gel going into the playoffs and they could easily contend, regrdless of their seeding.