PDA

View Full Version : KOBE PROSECUTORS TO DROP CASE

MagicRat
09-01-2004, 05:03 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/US/kobe_bryant_dismiss_040901-1.html

Dropped with prejudice, so charges can't be re-filed...

fwpacerfan
09-01-2004, 05:38 PM
WOW!:o

indygeezer
09-01-2004, 05:41 PM
iS ANYBODY REALLY SUPRISED? oops sorry

RimBender
09-01-2004, 05:44 PM
YES! This is awesome, I LOVE Kobe. A great, great player. Glad he got that taken care of.

Now watch as he carries the Lakers to a WC Championship.

Shaq who?!

pollardfreek
09-01-2004, 06:00 PM
I wonder how many $'s that cost.

TMJ31
09-01-2004, 06:22 PM
oh christ.

just absolutely sickening.

Lord Helmet
09-01-2004, 06:26 PM
I wonder how many $'s that cost.

:laugh:

SoupIsGood
09-01-2004, 06:33 PM
Why exactly would they want to retry at a later date?

So kobe doesn't miss playing, time, wait till he retires, and then pronounce him 'innocent'?

Roaming Gnome
09-01-2004, 07:14 PM
oh christ.

What is so sickening...

Hicks
09-01-2004, 07:21 PM
oh christ.

What is so sickening...

I was wondering that too. I think the fact (if you heard SportsCenter at 5 you know) that she's told the prosecution she won't help them or testify, which tells me Kobe's very likely innocent. So the fact that he's walking free isn't sickening at all.

Roaming Gnome
09-01-2004, 07:30 PM
2 words...Civil Trial
She was just after a buck from the get go...

:twocents:

TMJ31
09-01-2004, 09:01 PM
its sickening cuz I am extraordinarily biased against Kobe :P

and even if he is innocent id like to see him get taken down.

but i can take solice in the fact that his reputation and personal life are smeared irregardless of the prosecutors being huge pussies

Kstat
09-01-2004, 09:17 PM
and even if he is innocent id like to see him get taken down.

That disgusts me. What exactly has Kone Bryant ever done to you that you would want to see an innocent man go to prison for a crime he didn't commit.

Hicks
09-01-2004, 10:42 PM
What exactly has Kone Bryant ever done to you that you would want to see an innocent man go to prison for a crime he didn't commit.

Witch! He's a witch! Burn him!

:laugh:

MagicRat
09-01-2004, 11:14 PM
TYPING TITLES IN ALL CAPS IS FUN!

:p

Copying and pasting titles that somebody else typed in all caps is more fun.....:p

Stryder
09-01-2004, 11:32 PM
This whole "rape" trial/non-trial/ordeal was sketchy from the get-go, but I'm glad it has panned out to where he is basically shown as innocent and the girl was out for money.

So, I'm glad he's (as it looks) not heading to the state pen. anytime soon.

That being said,

Kobe's a good ball player, but I lost ALL respect for Kobe as a person when he cheated on his wife.

efx
09-01-2004, 11:36 PM
What the hell? How can you be so biased against an athlete that you would wish something like that on someome even though he or she might be innocent?

Oh yeah, the Lakers are the embodiment of all that is evil.

I swear, if people were as passionate about the world around them as they are about sports the world would be a better place..

Stryder
09-01-2004, 11:43 PM
What the hell? How can you be so biased against an athlete that you would wish something like that on someome even though he or she might be innocent?

I swear, if people were as passionate about the world around them as they are about sports the world would be a better place..

To whom are you talking?

Bball
09-02-2004, 12:25 AM
In light of Kobe's comments, which are just a tick short of an admission of guilt, I have no doubt there is a financial agreement in place.

I'm giving Kobe the benefit of the doubt by not calling his comments an admission of guilt. The comments are highlighted. No way he says that without some type of agreement in place.

-Bball

Prosecutors drop Kobe Bryant rape case
AP
Thursday, September 02, 2004

EAGLE, Colorado (AP) - The Kobe Bryant case collapsed yesterday as prosecutors said they had no choice but to drop the sexual assault charge against the NBA star because his accuser no longer wanted to participate.

Bryant, whose trial had been days from opening arguments, responded with an apology to the woman who had accused him.

"Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognise now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did," Bryant said. "I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter."

With the parents of the 20-year-old alleged victim looking on, District Judge Terry Ruckriegle threw out the case under a deal that means no charges will be refiled.

District Attorney Mark Hurlbert told Ruckriegle the woman did not want to testify or otherwise participate in the trial.

The woman's attorney, John Clune, said she has been through an extremely difficult time over the 14 months since she alleged she was raped, and was disturbed by a series of courthouse mistakes that included release of her name and medical history.

"It is in her sincere belief that when this case ends, she does not want to be brought back into the criminal process," Clune said.

"The difficulties that this case has imposed on this woman the past year are unimaginable."

The dismissal marks a stunning turn in the high-profile case against one of the NBA's brightest young stars. For months, prosecutors had insisted they had a strong enough case to win a conviction beyond a reasonable doubt.

Bryant, 26, has said he had consensual sex with a then-19-year-old employee of a Vail-area resort where he stayed last summer. Had he been convicted, the Los Angeles Lakers star would have faced four years to life in prison or 20 years to life on probation, and a fine of up to $750,000.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/
sports/html/20040901T230000-0500_65583_OBS_PROSECUTORS_DROP_KOBE_BRYANT_RAPE_C ASE.asp

efx
09-02-2004, 01:47 AM

To whom are you talking?

I was refering to TJ's post.

Hoop
09-02-2004, 02:00 AM
I'm one of the biggest Kobe haters around and I can't even believe it ever to trial in the first place. The chick is a nut case.

Denver's tax payers should call for the heads of the prosecution team. I bet they wasted millions of dollars for nothing.

TheSauceMaster
09-02-2004, 03:11 AM
If they drop the case then it should forever be dropped , I was reading the article and was kinda confused . It says a one point it can;t be reopend , then down the page it states something diffrent.

To me if you gonna drop the case , forever hold your peace , not this could be opened later crap.

Horray for Kobe , I never believed they had much of a case anyways , unfortunately he will always guilty in the minds of alot of people.