PDA

View Full Version : OK you decide, he's your problem

indygeezer
09-01-2004, 12:27 PM
(I'm gonna get crucified for this)

HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING...let's say Kobe is found guilty of rape. Given the circumstances I could see him being given say 20 years probation.

Question 1) Do you want him on your team?

Questions 2,3) Would the NBA allow him to play and if they did, would they promote him in tv spots etc?

Shade
09-01-2004, 12:40 PM
First off, he will not be found guilty of rape.

But to answer your questions, hypothetically speaking:

1) Nope.
2) Nope.
3) Nope.

beast23
09-01-2004, 01:00 PM
If Kobe were found guilty, yet was not imprisoned, I don't think I would want him here in Indy playing for the Pacers.

I would have to believe that any new contract that Kobe has would have to include a provision for the possibility that he could be found guilty.

It would probably give LA discretion over whether to retain Kobe.

From the NBAs perspective, I don't think they would just want to ignore the guilty / probation verdict and just let Kobe play. I would think they would suspend him for 2 years or so to at least provide the appearance of taking a punitive action.

As for continuing to promote Kobe, there is no way in hell that they NBA would continue to do so.

It's really a no-brainer for the NBA if he's found guilty. If they don't action, they face a lot more risks in losing fans than if they do take action.

Ultimate Frisbee
09-01-2004, 01:13 PM
Yes, Yes. Not at first, but eventually, Yes.

Just look at Mike Tyson...

Stryder
09-01-2004, 02:32 PM
Yes, Yes. Not at first, but eventually, Yes.

Just look at Mike Tyson...

What about Tyson?

He hasn't fought a decent fight in over 10 years.

He is multimillion dollars in debt.

He is laughed at world-wide.

Kstat
09-01-2004, 02:41 PM
Um, guys? Rape convictions require MANDATORY prison time. There isn't a choice about it.

Not to mention that there will be an IMMENSE amount of media pressure NOT to go easy on Kobe. If he's found guilty, he'll go to jail for a while.

After the fact, though, I wouldn't mind having him in my team. If he goes to jail and does his time, then society should give him another chance.

Bball
09-01-2004, 02:50 PM
Maybe Kobe could go play baseball for a year or so? :devil:

;)

-Bball

indygeezer
09-01-2004, 02:56 PM
Um, guys? Rape convictions require MANDATORY prison time. There isn't a choice about it.

Not to mention that there will be an IMMENSE amount of media pressure NOT to go easy on Kobe. If he's found guilty, he'll go to jail for a while.

After the fact, though, I wouldn't mind having him in my team. If he goes to jail and does his time, then society should give him another chance.

Per this ESPN story, KB faces prison time OR 20 years to life on probation. So the question is valid.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nba&id=1869881

ChicagoJ
09-01-2004, 06:49 PM

Per this ESPN story, KB faces prison time OR 20 years to life on probation. So the question is valid.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nba&id=1869881

Appearantly, he doesn't face either option anymore. :smirk:

diego
09-01-2004, 09:04 PM
PLEASEEEEEEEE... every person on this freakin forum would love Kobe and defend him to their dying day were he a pacer.

diego
09-01-2004, 09:05 PM
including me...LOL

SkipperZ
09-02-2004, 01:16 PM
id have to agree with diego. He is probably all intangibles included, the best player in the NBA right now.

Imagine if JO was charged and even convicted on such a BS rape charge. Now imagine JO was twice as good as he is right now. Thats how you would feel about Kobe had he been convicted of the rape.

Ultimate Frisbee
09-02-2004, 01:21 PM
OMG... gimme a break.. Tyson gets just as much press as before his trial AND he sucks now...

I don't respect Kobe off the court, but on the court, how can you not???

beast23
09-02-2004, 01:37 PM
I think that even on the court you can APPRECIATE someone's abilities yet NOT RESPECT them because of the way they play the game.

That pretty much sums up how I feel about Kobe on the court.

I'll be the first to admit that I have preconceived notions about HOW a player should play at a particular position. I think we all do.

I suppose Kobe gets everything done on the court that you want a player to do. Yet I absolutely detest his selfishness and his behind the scenes manipulation of the team.

indygeezer
09-02-2004, 01:42 PM
I guess the same could be said for "sheed and others.

OK I'll steal my own thread for a minute....I've hated on Iverson long enough. He earned the right to be respected with his play and attitude during the Olympics. I'll shut up about him...although I still detest those that must live their lives with a double lip lock on his backside.

I now return you to the Kobe thread.