PDA

View Full Version : Shaq

SoupIsGood
08-31-2004, 09:49 PM
Has anyone seen the recent pics of Shaq? The man is looking a lot slimmer and fit. This really worrys me. I'm starting to think that as Shaq lost all that poundage, the Pacers also lost their chance at a title. :(:(:(

SoupIsGood
08-31-2004, 09:55 PM
True, but Shaq and Wade can. Well, against us anyway. We couldn't stop wade last year, and with him being a year older, and them having Shaq, a guy no one can stop, that really worries me.

Hicks
08-31-2004, 09:58 PM
My thing about Miami though, is this? Who stops Jermaine now that Grant is gone? I don't think anyone. And they already couldn't stop Ron from scoring, and they lost the best guy they had for doing that (Butler). So if anything else they should be a team that makes our starts shine on offense.

RA231
08-31-2004, 10:09 PM
My thing about Miami though, is this? Who stops Jermaine now that Grant is gone? I don't think anyone. And they already couldn't stop Ron from scoring, and they lost the best guy they had for doing that (Butler). So if anything else they should be a team that makes our starts shine on offense.

I agree.

We may not be able to stop Wade and Shaq, but they wont be able to stop Ron and JO. Plus we have a better bench and better players at the other positions than they do.

SoupIsGood
08-31-2004, 10:11 PM
the only thing Miami is really lacking is a PF. If they can bring Malone or Swift there, or trade to fill that hole, they become my clear-cut favorite to win it all. Right now they probably tie with a few teams.

SoupIsGood
08-31-2004, 10:13 PM
I would think Shaq would give JO some problems if they were to put him on Jermaine.

Edit - Man, I wish the season would start. The three-way race for the east between Indy, Detroit, and Miami is going to be fun. :bannana:

Kstat
08-31-2004, 10:13 PM
If anyone out there thinks that shaq cant do as good a job on JO as brian grant, youre kidding yourselves.

Hicks
08-31-2004, 10:17 PM
If anyone out there thinks that shaq cant do as good a job on JO as brian grant, youre kidding yourselves.

Then I guess you can say I'm kidding myself. JO is too fast for Shaq. All JO has to do is pull him out with his midrange game, and blow by him because he's faster.

Kstat
08-31-2004, 10:19 PM

Then I guess you can say I'm kidding myself. JO is too fast for Shaq. All JO has to do is pull him out with his midrange game, and blow by him because he's faster.

Thats just it, Shaq wont go out on JO, he's going to let JO come to him. Which means that JO will have 48 minutes of open 15-18 footers, but ntohing whatsoever inside.

SoupIsGood
08-31-2004, 10:21 PM
The difference in quickness between the two may not be as much as last season, though, Shaq is carrying less weight. And Jermaine is probably trying to bulk up.

Hicks
08-31-2004, 10:22 PM
If Shaq wants to let JO take 15 footers, good. That's in his range. That doesn't mean JO can't post up on Shaq, though. Shaq won't stop him from doing his favorite spin/fade shots, which he'd try on anyone anyway.

SoupIsGood
08-31-2004, 10:28 PM
Is it just me, or did JO take less of those spin/fade shots last year? It sure seemed like it.

I used to really like that turnaround fade, usually from the left block, it was sweet. With Isiah coaching he did that a lot. His FG% was also higher.

Hicks
08-31-2004, 10:31 PM
Yeah he still does it.

Hicks
08-31-2004, 10:31 PM
As for this "Shaq will guard JO as well or better than Grant" stuff, I call bulls**t, and will believe it when and if I see it.

SoupIsGood
08-31-2004, 10:34 PM
Well, Grant guarded him pretty well, so maybe Shaq won't be better, but at least as good.

purdue101
08-31-2004, 10:58 PM
miami's depth at the 3 and the 4 is a joke. their starting forwards are haslem and rasual butler. j.o. and artest will eat them alive. if they can pick up malone, fizer, clark, or white......i give them a chance.

shaq looks great, but they have nothing at the forward spot and no true PG.

SoupIsGood
08-31-2004, 11:02 PM
They have Damon Jones now at PG.

Jones/Wade/Jones/Haslem?/O'neal

Assuming Eddie can play SF, I don't know if he an or not, and they sign a PF, they are damn good.

kerosene
08-31-2004, 11:05 PM
What's Artest going to do when he posts up and finds Shaq there?

SoupIsGood
08-31-2004, 11:10 PM

Get the ball shoved back down his throat.

Hicks
08-31-2004, 11:12 PM
Hopefully dish it to the man Shaq's left his back to ;)

purdue101
08-31-2004, 11:20 PM
what if we bring in bender or cro and move j.o. to center? do you think shaq is going to be able to guard 3 guys, two of whom can hit an outside shot?

i will only be afraid of miami if they get more depth up front and get a true PG....damon jones is a shoot first PG.

i truly believe we would have beat LA had we made the finals.....we played detroit much tougher. what makes you think that shaq and wade will be tougher than shaq, kobe, payton, malone and a pretty deep bench and a hall of fame coach??????

Hicks
08-31-2004, 11:25 PM
I've heard the "out to prove" stuff before. Last year he was supposed to be out to prove that not winning the title was a fluke, wasn't he?

And a year or two before that wasn't he supposed to prove he was still in good shape, but got hurt off and on again?

Now, I'm more likely to believe it now than I was then because he's actually changed teams, but all the same, he hasn't exactly stepped up for this before, and he's not getting any younger.

But that doesn't mean I don't think he could be a major problem for us.

Hicks
08-31-2004, 11:26 PM
You know what I'm looking forward to? Watching JO and Shaq start together in the all-star game. The days of the West being expected to win that game are GONE, baby lol.

Natston
08-31-2004, 11:34 PM
I am slightly worried now...
http://www.nba.com/media/heat/cover0405_oneal_040829.jpg

The supporting cast just isn't there so I won't be fully worried even if Shaq looks like Bender in November.

SoupIsGood
08-31-2004, 11:34 PM
Damon jones may shoot a lot, but he also has turned into a pretty good passer. They'll be fine with him next year.

SoupIsGood
08-31-2004, 11:37 PM
I wonder what his weight is down to now. He is skinny compared to a few seasons back.

purdue101
08-31-2004, 11:51 PM
you're right about jones....he did have one of the better assist/TO ratio's in the league. i just remember watching a game this past postseason in which he single handedly buried the bucks with erratic shots. i just view him as a 20 min. per game PG. who knows though, with eddie jones still in the mix you can expect to see wade at the point some too.
they still need some depth at the forward spot though. right now they have haslem, allen, and butler. i think fizer would be a good pickup.

Kstat
09-01-2004, 12:03 AM
Jones isnt a great passer....he's great at not making the BAD pass.

As a spot-up shooter, though, there may be no PG better at spotting up from three. He's even better than Fisher at knocking them down.

Shade
09-01-2004, 12:15 AM
How do these guys drop so much weight so fast? It's taken me months to drop the 26 pounds I have. :mad:

King Mob
09-01-2004, 12:44 AM
Personally, unless Miami makes significant moves, I think they're going to have a pretty poor season. The minute Shaq sits down everyone from the Pistons to the Shrine High School JV team is going to rally on that squad. He's going on the equivalent of his 15th season, and has a history of foot problems. I have a hard time seeing him play the minutes he'll have to play, at the level they need him to to win, for an entire season.

SoupIsGood
09-01-2004, 01:06 AM
Yeah I would like to know how all the celebritys and such drop so much weight so quick. It takes me forever to drop 10 pounds!

:confused:

Peck
09-01-2004, 03:04 AM

My guess is that he will go sucker punch whoever the smallest player on the floor for the Heat is.:p

Peck
09-01-2004, 03:10 AM
Until proven otherwise Shaq is the man.

We did not do anything to address the Shaq problem & IMO we will regret it.

Jermaine is complaining about having to guard the strongest big man now, wait till he has to play Shaq 3-4 times a year.

For all of the improvements he's made, for all of the strength he has added, it makes almost no differance.

Shaq is Shaq & until proven other wise he is the single most unstopable force in the N.B.A. today.

We have nobody on our team who can even pretend to do a good job on Shaq.

Jermaine is going to be the best, but I don't want him sitting on the bench with foul trouble or back pain from haveing to haul the big man around the court.

All that I can do is sit & pray that Jeff Foster is right now doing weight training so that at least he will be able to expand his 5 min. before he goes to the bench in foul trouble to 7 min.

What is the ***** is that we honestly are going to need Pollard to help with him.:shudder: