PDA

View Full Version : MPOS berates NBA "basketball"

indygeezer
08-30-2004, 10:40 PM
MArk PAtrick this evening...really racked the NBA for becoming a league so enthralled with athleticism that they would fail to see a Bird today. Said he sees no reason to lay out good money to watch the game. Said it is all about the "event" and no longer about watching good basketball. Said that IHO there wouldn't be a handlfull of people at the games that could tell you what skillset each of the P players excelled at. WEnt on to say that in years gone past, people knew the players and what they contributed to the "TEAM"...but not now. TOo many "potentials" and not enough real players.

As usual, he had some valid points. But also as usual, he went to the rediculous extreme to m,ake a point.

MSA2CF
08-30-2004, 10:49 PM
I have a friend whose name is Mark Patrick; odd...:hmm:

I agree with some of his points you have in your post, geez.

I'm an NBA fan and probably always will be, so I won't tear it down but I'll admit it does have its problems.

indygeezer
08-30-2004, 10:54 PM
I have a friend whose name is Mark Patrick; odd...:hmm:

I agree with some of his points you have in your post, geez.

I'm an NBA fan and probably always will be, so I won't tear it down but I'll admit it does have its problems.

yeah, I found myself agreeing with him too. But not as radically as he feels. HE's all about HS bball now. Cheaper, fun, and better popcorn. But less ego involved. I'm not so sure about that last bit. Seems like many of them have mini-NBA complexes too.

Lord Helmet
08-30-2004, 10:54 PM
I agree that Basketball games are expensive.But that doesn't keep me from going as long as I have the money.I still enjoy watching the game.And about knowing who the "real player" is I know that stuff becasuse I am a fan and I don't just know about the ALL-Popularity NBA Team.

indygeezer
08-30-2004, 10:59 PM
I agree that Basketball games are expensive.But that doesn't keep me from going as long as I have the money.I still enjoy watching the game.And about knowing who the "real player" is I know that stuff becasuse I am a fan and I don't just know about the ALL-Popularity NBA Team.

I think most of us here would fit your mold. But there are some that I doubt how much they really know what they are watching....unfortunately. Admittedly I'm no X's and O's guy...but I can recognize when a guy is breaking off plays etc. and I know what good TEAM basketball is supposed to look like.
Others I fear are here only because SPortsCenter has told them they should have a double-lip-lock on somebodies backside.

SoupIsGood
08-30-2004, 11:03 PM
Yeah, i think a team needs to win the championship based on a team attack basd around great shooting, passing, and running the floor. Almost like the Kings before Webber came back. If that version of the kings won the league 4 years in a row, the rest of the league would start to copy-cat them, and go back to fundamentals.

It'd be nice, though, if that type of play could be implemented to the Pacers while retaining our good defense. I'm hoping that deep down that's what Bird is trying to do with the P's, but maybe he's not.

Lord Helmet
08-30-2004, 11:08 PM

I think most of us here would fit your mold. But there are some that I doubt how much they really know what they are watching....unfortunately. Admittedly I'm no X's and O's guy...but I can recognize when a guy is breaking off plays etc. and I know what good TEAM basketball is supposed to look like.
Others I fear are here only because SPortsCenter has told them they should have a double-lip-lock on somebodies backside.

I don't know the likes of Basketball knowledge like UB and some others but I know what you basicly said.I know when a guy is breaking off plays and what a team game is.I don't just watch for the dunks but occasionally I do love a JB slam.;)

SoupIsGood
08-30-2004, 11:58 PM
Ummm... where's anthem's post??? Spooky.

TheSauceMaster
08-31-2004, 12:25 AM
He went alittle extreme but I found myself agreeing with him on alot of points , I know I enjoyed watching the WNBA this year , yes I am sure some of you will grumble and say it sucks ..oh Well I liked it. There not all about the high flying stuff they actually have to play and do play fundamental team basketball , big reason the women did so well in the olympics as there used to a team concept not this 1 or 2 superstars to carry a team crap.

David Stern and his Cronies should be ashamed of what they turned NBA Basketball into :mad:

Roaming Gnome
08-31-2004, 07:04 AM
Mark Patrick is always extream for his hate on the NBA. I really don't care for his opinion, no matter how agreeable it might be, because he is very jaded against the league.

Now, I can listen to his co-host JMV, he seems more like a fan of the NBA, but reallizes the problems of the league. On his show, he sometimes will agree with what Mark Patrick will say, but it isn't to the extream, or laced with the hatred that MP has for the pro game.

indygeezer
08-31-2004, 07:23 AM
I agree that Stern may turn out to be the worst thing to ever happen to the NBA. He built it into a Multi-billion dollar business that gets alot of knocks for ruining the game of basketball.

I listen to JMV too, but at times he irritates me. Listen to his speach pattern sometime and you'll note that he's copying Jim Rome's style. he's good enough to develop his own style he doesn't need to copy somebody else's schtick.
I usually listen to ESPN radio but since I don't like auto racing I don't listen to the station during my drive home. Do they Really have to have a racing program on EVERY evening at the same time????

Fool
08-31-2004, 08:34 AM
He went alittle extreme but I found myself agreeing with him on alot of points , I know I enjoyed watching the WNBA this year , yes I am sure some of you will grumble and say it sucks ..oh Well I liked it. There not all about the high flying stuff they actually have to play and do play fundamental team basketball , big reason the women did so well in the olympics as there used to a team concept not this 1 or 2 superstars to carry a team crap.

David Stern and his Cronies should be ashamed of what they turned NBA Basketball into :mad:

I would say that bigger reasons for the women's success is that they had multiple players who had played on previous Olympic teams (and won gold), had experience with the international game, were not just coming out of their season (the WNBA pauses for the Olympics, so the women aren't tired, they are primed) and consisted of players who had played together before and so were familiar with each other.

skyfire
08-31-2004, 08:47 AM
I dont think David Stern should be ashamed of what the NBA has become. The Pistons are a tribute to the fact that team concept basketball should defeat superstar basketball.

I think if it takes Team USA losing the gold at the Olympics to encourage international growth of the NBA and basketball as a sport, then all the better.

TheSauceMaster
08-31-2004, 09:13 AM
David Stern Didn't show me team basketball will win , Joe Dumars and The Pistons did , sorry Stern had nothing to do with the Pistons Sucess or failure , nor does he deserve a lick of credit.

Roaming Gnome
08-31-2004, 03:47 PM
I agree that Stern may turn out to be the worst thing to ever happen to the NBA. He built it into a Multi-billion dollar business that gets alot of knocks for ruining the game of basketball.

I listen to JMV too, but at times he irritates me. Listen to his speach pattern sometime and you'll note that he's copying Jim Rome's style. he's good enough to develop his own style he doesn't need to copy somebody else's schtick.
I usually listen to ESPN radio but since I don't like auto racing I don't listen to the station during my drive home. Do they Really have to have a racing program on EVERY evening at the same time????

You are very right about JMV kind of patterning himself in Rome's style, but I do like the fact that when his show is on, he does hold opinions that are different then Mark Patrick's show. A lot of times, he will make a point to say that some of the points of Mark P. are very lame. I think JMV would be very strong if he had the 3-6p time slot. MPOS is very tired. I would listen to Sports Desk more often, but I really don't care for Greg Rakestraw. To me, he sounds very whiney and 1260 usually breaks sporting news a lot sooner then ESPN 950.

Unclebuck
08-31-2004, 08:19 PM
I did not hear Mark Patrick's comments.

But from what is depicted here, I disagree 100% with what he was reported to have said. In fact mark me down as disagreeing with MP 100% on whatever he says.

He has to be the worst sports talk host I have ever heard and he is a disgrace to the profession

Shade
09-01-2004, 12:37 AM
It's just too bad that all the media people are just now jumping on the bandwagon that many of us started years ago. :unimpressed: