PDA

View Full Version : Contender/Predender Vol. 8 - Detoit Pistons

Ultimate Frisbee
08-30-2004, 01:43 PM
Continuing with what Hicks started, based on what a Pistons board did, discuss the potential of each team, in alphabetical order, for the upcoming season.

What needs to be done in order to win? Can they make the playoffs? Will the contend for the title? How far will they go in the playoffs? What changes can be expected this year?

Volume 8 is the Detroit Pistons:

Starters:

Billups
Hamilton
Prince
'Sheed
Ben Wallace

Bench:

Elden Campbell, Derrick Coleman, Carlos Delfino, Ronald Dupree, Darvin Ham, Lindsey Hunter, Horace Jenkins, Amal McCaskill, Antonio Mcydess, Darko Milicic

Coach: Larry Brown

Anthem
08-30-2004, 01:47 PM
Pretender. :devil:

Arcadian
08-30-2004, 01:52 PM
Pretender.

Ultimate Frisbee
08-30-2004, 02:01 PM
There might be some surprises, but their bench looks extrodinarily weak, with the possible exceptions of McDyess, Coleman, and Campbell.... I'm not impressed by either Darko or Delfino, but this season could prove me wrong...

Any team that won it last year is a contender...
right?

blanket
08-30-2004, 02:18 PM
I'm interested to see if they can build on what they did last year (better season record, experience for Darko, consecutive titles), or if the changes they made this off-season and Larry being worn out from the Olympics will have a negative effect.

They're the odds on favorite Contenders, at least from the East, but I wonder if the roster changes (too much depth at power positions to satisfy everyone, no veteran anchor at SF, not enough depth at PG) will hurt them a bit, especially in terms of team chemistry.

A trade of Coleman or Campbell for a veteran swingman in case the Delfino/Dupree experiment doesn't pan out and/or another backup PG would be smart.

unstandable
08-30-2004, 02:31 PM
A trade of Coleman or Campbell for a veteran swingman in case the Delfino/Dupree experiment doesn't pan out and/or another backup PG would be smart.

Good call, this is what a lot of Pistons fans think is going to happen.

Coleman and Campbell both have expiring contracts (and they're tall, which always helps ones trade value), so I think that if depth does prove to be a problem at PG (or another position), one will be gone by the trading deadline.

Burt_Reincarnated
08-30-2004, 02:31 PM
They will start slow, and finish strong, losing to a sweep by the Pacers in the ECF or semis

ChicagoJ
08-30-2004, 02:51 PM
The only question(s) for the Pistons is... how soon until Larry Brown wears out his welcome?

And... when he quits on the team, will he actually resign from his position as head coach, too?

DisplacedKnick
08-30-2004, 03:03 PM
No real post scoring, no unstoppable go-to guy ...

This team'll never win anything.

Gotta say, Kstat - the Pistons obliterated my formula for winning an NBA title. They do have the multiple scoring options and good defense parts.

Kstat
08-30-2004, 03:32 PM
Larry Brown took four years to wear out his welcome In Indiana, and SIX years to wear it out in Philly. I'm going to hold my breath and say it wont happen for a few years yet....;)

And honestly guys....we go from the cavs, to the mavs, to the PISTONS? At this rate the last teams we do will be the clippers, Sonics and Wizards...

obnoxiousmodesty
08-30-2004, 03:38 PM
And honestly guys....we go from the cavs, to the mavs, to the PISTONS? At this rate the last teams we do will be the clippers, Sonics and Wizards...

Uh...unless you weren't kidding around... They're just going alphabetically.

Shade
08-30-2004, 04:02 PM
Finally, a CONTENDER! :pimp:

Of course, they won't make it past the second round... ;) :devil:

unstandable
08-30-2004, 04:29 PM
This year's Pistons have the potential to be the best defensive team ever. Last year they set lots of defensive records, and would have set more if Sheed had been on the team all season. This season they do lose Mike James, who was a good defender, but they also lose Corliss Williamson and Mehmet Okur, two of the worst defenders on last year's team, and replace them with Carlos Delfino, Ron Dupree, and Antonio McDyess, all of whom should be better defensively. The starting front-line of Prince and the Wallaces has to be one of if not the best ever defensively, and Lindsey Hunter is still one of the top perimeter defenders in the league.

The main question I see is whether they can play with the same defensive intensity all season that they did after they acquired Sheed last year.

ChicagoJ
08-30-2004, 04:33 PM
Larry Brown took four years to wear out his welcome In Indiana, and SIX years to wear it out in Philly. I'm going to hold my breath and say it wont happen for a few years yet....;)

Three years in Indiana. Year #4 was a total disaster. Somewhere between four and five in Philly, his last couple of years there weren't pretty, either.

I can't wait until he and Chauncey start snipping at each other. :devil:

SoupIsGood
08-30-2004, 05:26 PM
but they also lose Corliss Williamson and Mehmet Okur, two of the worst defenders on last year's team, and replace them with Carlos Delfino, Ron Dupree, and Antonio McDyess, all of whom should be better defensively.

I feel pretty good about the fact that the pistons are depending on these guys as some of their main bench players next year.

Kstat
08-30-2004, 05:41 PM
So do I:cool:

Fool
08-30-2004, 05:53 PM
Isn't this the same Pacer board that lambasted the Piston bench during the playoffs and who ridiculed anyone that said the Pistons had as good a bench as the Pacers?

Now the Pistons are worse because they have changed that bench?

Kstat
08-30-2004, 06:20 PM
Isn't this the same Pacer board that lambasted the Piston bench during the playoffs and who ridiculed anyone that said the Pistons had as good a bench as the Pacers?

Now the Pistons are worse because they have changed that bench?

Thats EXACTLY what Ive been thinking all summer, fool....

Hicks
08-30-2004, 06:32 PM
Changing the bench doesn't automatically mean you IMPROVED it, mind you.

SoupIsGood
08-30-2004, 08:07 PM
I wasn't here until after Detriot beat LA, so I didn't say nunadat.