PDA

View Full Version : agree or disagree part 5

Peck
08-30-2004, 03:24 AM
I would trade Reggie Miller straight up for Allen Houston.

canyoufeelit
08-30-2004, 03:39 AM
Disagree

Reggie is the better value

Both need screens or pushoffs to get their shot off - wash
Both careers are nearing the light at the end of the tunnel - wash
Houston's contract is horrible - adv. Reggie
Houston is recovering from an injury - adv. Reggie

Arcadian
08-30-2004, 03:56 AM
Disagree. At least Reggie is retiring sooner.

Roaming Gnome
08-30-2004, 07:04 AM
:( Call me a sucker, but I do value Reggie more then just a trade for an often injured Houston. I agree that we should have thought long and hard about the Brad Miller decision, and kept Brad and offered Reggie the scraps. Allen Houston isn't Brad Miller!

Yes, I would like to see Reggie come off the bench, but to me...It better be OUR BENCH!!!

DisplacedKnick
08-30-2004, 08:20 AM
From the Pacers perspective, no way!

AH is overpaid and I'd toss a coin whether he's ever healthy again - at least healthy enough to play 35 plus minutes/game.

There's a reason we got Jamal Crawford and it isn't because AH is a picture of health.

Hicks
08-30-2004, 08:21 AM
I would trade Reggie Miller straight up for Allen Houston.

Disagree. Just.... no. :laugh:

Stryder
08-30-2004, 08:25 AM
Disagree.

Houston is a more one-dimensional player than Reggie is.

sixthman
08-30-2004, 08:37 AM
If you are asking if a healthy Allen Houston is now better than Reggie, the answer is yes. Of course, Houston isn't healthy.

As for swapping the two, are you crazy? Houston is the most overpaid guy in the NBA and his contract is longer.

naptown
08-30-2004, 11:45 AM
Disagree....no explanation needed.

And by the way folks....these questions are not taking into account contracts and salaries....just the players themselves.

naptown
08-30-2004, 11:49 AM
And HICKS...If I have to tell you again I am going to get PISSED!!!!!

Quit using the picture of my girlfriend and my sister as your avatar.... Jesus man!!!

Sollozzo
08-30-2004, 03:05 PM
Well, they are both way too overpaid.

Houston is by far the better player, Reggie is the worst Starting SG in the NBA.

If contracts weren't a factor, hell yeah I'd take Houston over Reggie.

Bball
08-30-2004, 03:32 PM
Reggie is the worst Starting SG in the NBA.

Doesn't it suck to think that? And while it is debatable it isn't hard to make your position credible.

To answer Peck's question- No, I wouldn't trade Reggie for Houston at this point.

-Bball

Hicks
08-30-2004, 03:38 PM
And HICKS...If I have to tell you again I am going to get PISSED!!!!!

Quit using the picture of my girlfriend and my sister as your avatar.... Jesus man!!!

:hmm:

DisplacedKnick
08-30-2004, 03:48 PM
Reggie is the worst Starting SG in the NBA.

Doesn't it suck to think that? And while it is debatable it isn't hard to make your position credible.
-Bball

Well, I think I'd give him an edge right now over Eddie House - or whoever the Bobcats play there.

Sollozzo
08-30-2004, 03:52 PM
I forgot about the Bobcats, true. But for 03-04, you could make the argument that Reggie was the worst starting SG in the league.

ChicagoJ
08-30-2004, 04:23 PM
I thought that argument could've been made in 02-03, too. Even if he wasn't *the worst* in 02-03, he was in the bottom few. Blame the ankle injury all you want, but it is still true...

Sollozzo
08-30-2004, 04:45 PM
True Jay, you can make the argument that Reggie was the worst starting SG the past 2 years, and if he starts this year, he will only get worse. If Reggie was going to show anything, it would have been last year. Last year showed us that Reggie Miller is finished.

It's not hating on Reggie, it's just facing the facts. He's 39 years old and is finished, the Pacers would be fine without him. He is ridiculously overpaid. If Reggie was John Doe, wouldn't you all have looked at his performance his past 2 years and thought that it wasn't much? If Reggie was just John Doe, would you really want him starting for the Pacers based on his production the past 2 years? Would you have given him a contract like that if he didn't have the name?

naptown
08-30-2004, 10:29 PM
All you folks can say what you want about Reggie, but out of everyone on the current roster he is still the one I want taking the shot to win the game in the last 30 seconds.

Don't get me wrong, I will be pissed if SJ is not our starting SG. But don't act like Reggie is completely washed up. He was the third and sometimes 4th scoring option last year. His role was to feed JO, Al, Jeff and Ron (although I think he took it too far sometimes). He can easily go from so called worst starting SG to 6th man of the year candidate. If RC makes Reggie the 1st or 2nd scoring option when the reserves are in he could easily put up 12 to 14 points a night.....and deliver the knockout blow when the game is on the line.

Lord Helmet
08-30-2004, 10:46 PM
All you folks can say what you want about Reggie, but out of everyone on the current roster he is still the one I want taking the shot to win the game in the last 30 seconds.

Don't get me wrong, I will be pissed if SJ is not our starting SG. But don't act like Reggie is completely washed up. He was the third and sometimes 4th scoring option last year. His role was to feed JO, Al, Jeff and Ron (although I think he took it too far sometimes). He can easily go from so called worst starting SG to 6th man of the year candidate. If RC makes Reggie the 1st or 2nd scoring option when the reserves are in he could easily put up 12 to 14 points a night.....and deliver the knockout blow when the game is on the line.
I agree.I would love to see Reg on the bench but not out of disrespect.I would want him coming in as the 1st scoring option if he comes in as a bench player he has to shoot the ball and he WILL score.If he starts this year he would be the 3rd scroing option after Ronnie and J.O.So I think Reg and Rick should talk about this because I believe if Reggie just shot more he will make more.Because belive it or not he still could score 14-18 points a game if he was the only scoring option.Bottomline I want whatever is best for Reg.Whatever will make him seem like the young Reg.

SoupIsGood
08-30-2004, 11:06 PM
I would love for reg to win 6th man of the year his last year in the league. he can do it too, if he shoots more.

ChicagoJ
08-31-2004, 12:16 AM

Not me. I want JO to take that shot. The only possible exception is if we are down three and the clock is running out.

Sollozzo
08-31-2004, 03:10 PM
Paying a player 6 million a year to take big shots is hardly worth it.

Let's look at game 1 of this years ECF's....Reggie made the big shot, and everyone made him the hero. Did anyone realise that Reggie sucked that whole game, and maybe if he would have made some earlier shots, he wouldn't have needed to make a shot down the stretch to win the game.

Reggie is basically worthless and we would just be fine without him. Let's focus on the present and future of this franchise, and let go of the past.

naptown
08-31-2004, 04:43 PM
Worthless????

Ah nevermind...not gonna waste my time.

Sollozzo
08-31-2004, 04:50 PM
He is completely washed up. His game has deteriorated so greatly, that he is now the worst starting SG in the NBA. I would play SJAX and Fred over him.

Naptown, you said in an above post that you would be pissed if SJAX is not the starting shootguard. Well, I think that on day one, Reggie is going to be the starting 2guard. They are going to offer him the starting spot, as horrible as it is.

ChicagoJ
08-31-2004, 05:09 PM
Adam, you've gone waaayyy too far for me to back you up, here.

For the right price, I'd keep Reggie around. Given, he's not 'starter' material; but he's certainly not worthless.

Sollozzo
08-31-2004, 05:13 PM
What I mean is, that for his contract, he is worthless.....

We couldn't have kept him around for "the right price"...I think that had we offered the "right price", he would have seriously thought about joining the Lakers or Byron Scott and the Nets.

For the money he is getting, he is worthless.

What I mean by "worthless" is that he is not worth the cash he is getting at all.

Sollozzo
08-31-2004, 09:20 PM
Reggie would be fine having for the vets minimum, but for what we are paying him, he isnt worth it. For 6 million, he is worthless.

naptown
09-01-2004, 08:16 AM
The reason Reggie was given the contract that he was, has everything in the world to do with his past. What Walsh and the Simons did is called respect and class. They simply took care of a player that has taken care of them for almost 2 decades. And not just in games, but in the locker room, in practices, in his willingness to do whatever the franchise asked of him, his commitment to the franchise itself and community of Indianapolis. Reggie is a rare bird in comparison to 99% of todays players. Reggie is a class act, and was treated with the respect and class he deserves. You can say what you want about his contract, but he has earned and deserved every penny of it.