PDA

View Full Version : Sixers why are they so bad, err good

Unclebuck
02-05-2004, 02:38 PM
I really want to read what Dipperdunk has to say about this, but I think the loss of Larry Brown and the addition of Glenn Robinson has ruined the Sixers defense. Their offense was never that good to begin with but they always played so hard.

Thoughts?

ChicagoJ
02-05-2004, 02:56 PM
I really want to read what Dipperdunk has to say about this, but I think the loss of Larry Brown and the addition of Glenn Robinson has ruined the Sixers defense. Their offense was never that good to begin with but they always played so hard.

Thoughts?

I think there's one other problem with the same cause (losing Brownie, adding the Little Dog) - thier already fragile chemistry has been destroyed.

I really can't believe the freefall the Sixers are on. I didn't think they'd be as good this year as they've been in recent seasons, but I didn't think they'd fall below Miami. :o

Cactus Jax
02-05-2004, 03:13 PM
I believe it's time for the Sixers to rebuild. Keep Iverson, and keep Kenny Thomas, and maybe Snow, and Salmons, but dump everyone else, yes even Dalembert. I see him as a Jeff Foster type his whole career and his value is probably pretty high right now. Try and trade Big Dog for anybody that has a pulse on defense, and Coleman and McKey are getting pretty old and injury prone.

Ragnar
02-05-2004, 03:23 PM
I disagree about Dalembert I think he has a ton of potential. He can already shoot better than Foster and I think he will come along as the years go by. Didnt he not even play organised ball untill recently?

dipperdunk
02-05-2004, 03:37 PM
Hi guys, there are alot of different reasons for the 76ers poor record this season. Its been an up and down season, they've beaten the Spurs twice, Detroit twice, Nets twice and played at Minny down to the wire and at Dallas into double overtime so they've played well against some of the top teams but overall as a team they lack chemistry, coaching and a defensive mindset.

You never want to use injuries as an excuse but they've really been decimated this year Mark Jackson who was doing a nice job earlier this season at center broke his hand and is still out and has been out 2 months. DC was playing injured with his knee then broke his hand and is out at least another month plus Iverson has missed about 13 games, McKie 10, Thomas 10 etc,, so thats been a factor. Dalembert filling in at center has shown great flashes for a young player hes had a game or 2 with 20 + pts and 15+ rebounds but with any young player he is constantly making mistakes with defensive rotations etc.,, so the defense is breaking down.

Robinson is a great shooter but thats all he can do, his defense is horrible, he doesn't pass the ball and he doesn't hustle and has been a cancer for the team. Him and Snow have been jawing at each other for about a month or so. Also by adding Robinson it forced Thomas to play the 4 which means the 76ers are really short up front. It was reported last year after a 76ers game by John Nash(now gm of the blazers) that the 76ers could have traded Van Horn for Spree but Larry Brown backed off the deal because with Spree and Thomas as the forwards the 76ers would be too short upfront but thats exactly what King did when Brown left he made their front court too short and their defense and rebounding is suffering because of it. Also Snow is best suited for a strictly defensive system so his game has been hurt. Iverson's game has been up and down as well, after the knee injury when he came back he had no lift on his shot and struggled for about 8 games to regain his form and when Iversons struggling so are the Sixers. They really miss Larry Brown's leadership ability, Brown just has a way of making adjustments and you always know even if your in a losing streak that his teams will pull through like the Pistons this season when they went through their funk. Ayers is a 1st time coach and instead of showing leadership and having the answers he has been confused. On two occasions this week he has ran out of timeouts at the end of the game. :shakehead: So the coaching has been a huge downgrade and the team which before had a gritty defensive identity has no identity because with big dog they are no longer capable of being a good defensive team. I chuckle every time I read a Pacer post suggesting trading Harrington for another scorer this is exactly what we were saying in Philly about George Lynch man if we could only trade Lynch for a scorer well we did and Robinson gets his 20-25 pts. but does none of the other things Lynch did on the court and it causes you to go from a winning team to a bad team with no chemistry or the intangibles needed to be successful.

You want to know how bad things have gotten in Philly? Last game at half time Iverson had 19 points and 7 assists and we were still trailing the Raptors by 7 pts. going into halftime. In the past when Iverson would have that type of 1st half the 76ers would be leading by 15 at the half. The lack of defensive intensity and heart prompted Iverson to explode after the game and call his teammates out questioning their heart and effort so we'll see how they react to that tonight against the Lakers. But right now the only thing that can help the 76ers is a trade because the makeup of the team is flawed, their trying hard to get Ratliff back but might not have the pieces to make it happen but that would be a good start. Also I would like to see them make a coaching change and get a quality coach with some experience and a defensive mindset. They won't be able to get rid of Big Dog this year but next year he will have some value because its the last year of his deal and as far as I'm concerned the sooner hes gone the better.

Natston
02-05-2004, 09:46 PM
The Sixers are killing the Lakers right now... 83-58 in the 4th... :devil: :pepper:

Anthem
02-06-2004, 12:13 AM
Yeah UB, way to change the thread title. Cheater.

Suaveness
02-06-2004, 12:15 AM
Yeah UB, way to change the thread title. Cheater.

:laugh:

Unclebuck
02-06-2004, 04:05 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Did not want to look like a complete idiot