PDA

View Full Version : Official James Posey Highlight thread

PacersPride
12-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Many have stated that Posey brings alot of vet experience, keeps the motion offense flowing, plays good D etc.. i dont see it. I believe Hansbrough should be getting the minutes at backup PF.

So I am hoping those of you who see the positives in Posey's game can help me out here, and post positive contributions Posey makes to each and every game this season.

Other than 3 pt shooting, I dont see the benefits of having Posey on the floor. Please do not misinterpret my comments, I like Posey, and he is a fine player and provides some much needed intangiables, but I do not believe he should be getting the minutes over Hansbrough.

According to many, Hansbrough looks lost and so on, seems like it would be very simple to stand at the free throw line and make the correct pass, much like Hibbs and McBob; but again, maybe im missing something so please share with us the positive contributions that Posey makes in each game.

Personally, I feel like Hansbrough is much better defensively, can rebound, and offers an inside presence for our second unit, but I guess this is incorrect because O'brien is giving the minutes to Posey.

Anytime posey makes a positive contribution, pls take a moment and post it here so i can see what everyone else has been talking about in these threads about posey playing so well.

I expect him to knock down some 3's, but other than that, I dont think he does much else on the court.

Thanks

PacersPride
12-08-2010, 01:48 PM
I will be the first to add to this, Posey took a charge Monday vs the Raptors.. he also jumped about 6 inches and got a rebound.. i was impressed. it was a good blockout.

thanks, and look forward to the positive contributions added this evening vs the bucks.

vnzla81
12-08-2010, 02:09 PM
I saw Posey giving a high five to the ball boy, does that counts?

PacersPride
12-08-2010, 02:16 PM
I saw Posey giving a high five to the ball boy, does that counts?

only if your the ballboy or close friends with him! lol. pls lets keep this a sincere thread.. i really want to know what it is that makes posey such a better option than Hansbrough with the 2nd unit.

i will bump the thread before games so everyone can contribute with ease.

Thanks!

Cobalt_Colt
12-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Posey doesn't make the mental errors that Tyler does, that is probably the biggest factor. Plus he "stretches" the floor and he is a better passer.

PacersPride
12-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Posey doesn't make the mental errors that Tyler does, that is probably the biggest factor. Plus he "stretches" the floor and he is a better passer.

thats all well and good, but im looking for specific examples.. not just ambiguous statements like posey doesnt make mental errors. pls provide examples to support your assertion; thats why i started this thread, so that during the game those positive contributions can be specified; instead of posey has "vet experience" and so on. as far as stretching the floor.. big deal, the guy went 3-20 something from behind the arc. what about offensive rebounding and other aspects of the game that lead to victories.. like the defense he played vs Channing Frye...or lack thereof i guess i should say.

and a better passer.. sorry, i didnt know hansbrough made posey look like john stockton out on the court.

again.. just looking for examples and specifics during the games. i will keep the thread active as long as posey continues to get minutes over hansbrough.

and let me reiterate, i like posey, but hansbrough should be getting the minutes with the 2nd unit.

Trophy
12-08-2010, 02:56 PM
He's a good player to have as a mentor and to have playing limited backup minutes behind Danny at SF. Not PF.

pizza guy
12-08-2010, 03:11 PM
The first thing that comes to my mind was (I think) in the Miami game. Rush got called for a foul that he didn't necessarily agree with, and Posey was the one -- not Granger, Hibbert, or DC -- that walked Rush back down the court and talked to him about the call.

As far as specific plays that he has made...hmm...I'm not sure. I agree with you, Hans needs to get some playing time as I like what he brings to the floor more than Posey as far as skillset. But, I do think we are a good enough team that the usefulness of a "glue guy" veteran can't be understated. In the last couple years, as a developing amoeba of a team, our young guys needed the playing time. Now that we can match up and beat anyone, I think the focus shifts. I'm a fan of Psycho T, but if he's not ready to be on the court on a regular basis, let him learn in practice. There are times that we could use him on the court though. The Utah game comes to mind, and against Atlanta would've been a good idea, too.

--pizza

pizza guy
12-08-2010, 03:11 PM
He's a good player to have as a mentor and to have playing limited backup minutes behind Danny at SF. Not PF.

+1

Day-V
12-08-2010, 04:07 PM
I know I'm in the minority, but I like Posey.

I Love P
12-08-2010, 04:14 PM
I know I'm in the minority, but I like Posey.

I'm right there with you. Honestly, my favorite player on the team. No joke, love him.

Day-V
12-08-2010, 04:15 PM
I'm sure I annoy people at Conseco, but each time he gets the ball, even if he's 30 feet out, I just keep standing up and yelling for him to launch it.

I Love P
12-08-2010, 04:17 PM
I always liked him on the Heat and Celtics. I called him the "new aged Robert Horry." All he does is make big shots. I also like him cause hes not scared to make a hard foul and make you earn your two. I hate nothing worse than when someone goes up for a layup and the defender just puts his arm out there and gets called for a foul. If you are going to foul someone, foul them.

Scot Pollard
12-08-2010, 04:22 PM
hes a good player and i like him

just jim obrien plays him out of position

BringJackBack
12-08-2010, 04:27 PM
I really don't think that Posey deserves a small victory thread.

First of all, if it weren't for him we wouldn't be able to match salaries for Darren Collison.

Second, he plays defense, takes charges, and hits big shots.

Third, he is our leader and he is Big Game James.

As much as I'd like Tyler to play so well that he knocks Posey out of the backup PF spot, he hasn't earned it. Why give minutes to someone who hasn't really earned them? He's played terrible ever since way back when he had twenty points.

The opposition to my point of view is going to say that Posey has played bad, but he has not. The west coast trip killed his percentages, and if it weren't for that trip he'd be hovering somewhere around 37 3pt%.

joeyd
12-08-2010, 04:28 PM
thats all well and good, but im looking for specific examples.. not just ambiguous statements

I appreciate the spirit of this thread, but sometimes this is difficult to do. Other players on the team have specific niches, like JP's three point shooting, but the guy brings intangibles to the table that are difficult to quantify. Taking charges and veteran leadership, anything covered by the ambiguous tag of "hustle points" all help to highlight a player.

I like JP because he contributes to team chemistry, seems to accept his role on the team, and is content with making contributions he is asked to make. And is generally trustworthy shooting the 3.

BringJackBack
12-08-2010, 04:29 PM
I wonder how many charges he takes per 48 minutes. As well as McRoberts and Granger who have taken a load of charges this year.

Day-V
12-08-2010, 04:33 PM
I wonder how many charges he takes per 48 minutes. As well as McRoberts and Granger who have taken a load of charges this year.

And Dunleavy, as well.

BringJackBack
12-08-2010, 04:38 PM
And Dunleavy, as well.

Dunleavy had VERY active hands Monday too. That's probably the best defense I've seen him play all year.

Day-V
12-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Dunleavy had VERY active hands Monday. That's probably the best defense I've seen him play all year.

As much as I've criticized his on-ball defense, I will say that he has done a terrific job all season of diving for loose balls, going hard for rebounds, creating turnovers, and just overall being scrappy.

SMosley21
12-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Some of you here on PD act like little girls that don't get their way when their players don't get the "proper" amount of playing time. We're winning basketball games and are off to a better start than we've had in about 5 seasons. Enjoy the W's and quit whining.

BringJackBack
12-08-2010, 04:47 PM
As much as I've criticized his on-ball defense, I will say that he has done a terrific job all season of diving for loose balls, going hard for rebounds, creating turnovers, and just overall being scrappy.

Especially being active on the boards by all of our shooting guards and small forwards. That has helped us tremendously.

Day-V
12-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Especially being active on the boards by all of our shooting guards and small forwards. That has helped us tremendously.

Oh without question. The focus on rebounding has been a pleasant surprise this season.

Since86
12-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Some of you here on PD act like little girls that don't get their way when their players don't get the "proper" amount of playing time. We're winning basketball games and are off to a better start than we've had in about 5 seasons. Enjoy the W's and quit whining.

So you're idea of a forum is where everyone holds hands and sings happy songs?

Not to be a dick, but this is the purpose for a forum for people to talk about the game and when you talk about it your going to have a difference of opinions on things. If you don't like it, then this probably isn't the place for you, because this is how it's been since I've been here in 2004 and this is how it was before me.

I just love it when people whine about other people whining.

Day-V
12-08-2010, 04:56 PM

So does this mean you're whining about someone who was whining about people whining? :hmm:

BringJackBack
12-08-2010, 05:01 PM
I love it when other people whine about other people's whining about other people's whining about other people's whining.

:laugh: lol. :stirthepo

cdash
12-08-2010, 05:02 PM

Not to be a dick, but this is the purpose for a forum for people to talk about the game and when you talk about it your going to have a difference of opinions on things. If you don't like it, then this probably isn't the place for you, because this is how it's been since I've been here in 2004 and this is how it was before me.

I could be wrong, but I think he's just annoyed that the OP obviously made this thread to antagonize people. Just my suspicion based on his posting history.

PacersPride
12-08-2010, 05:24 PM
I could be wrong, but I think he's just annoyed that the OP obviously made this thread to antagonize people. Just my suspicion based on his posting history.

no, i made the thread so i could see exactly what others were referring to when they say posey benefits the team in such and such a way. the thread is getting kinda clutterred.. and it was meant specifically as a side thread for during the game.

based on my posting history.. ?? i know i caught hell for the rush inconsistent shooter remarks, which i have clarified MULTIPLE times i shoulda stated inconstent shooter his first two seasons... and left out the 3 pt aspect.. but since half of rush's shots were 3's.. thats what i thought of when referring to rush as a shooter.

im certain if i made a poll right now and asked was rush an inconstent shooter his first two season it would at least be 50-50. so im not real sure where you came up with this based on my history of posts.. in fact thats kinda a d*ck thing to say to be honest. if you dont agree with my POV so be it.. but dont make me out to be someone that comes up wiht off the wall junk just to get a rise out of someone. i still stand behind my statement that rush was an inconsistent shooter his first two seasons here.. whehter you regard that as antagonistic or not.. it wont change my stance one bit.

as i CLEARLY stated in the OP.. i would like specific examples during games of what posey does thats considered a positive,, and earns him the minutes over Hansbrough. whats so hard to understand about that (yes this sentence is meant to be antaganositc)? im not seeing the things that others are, and was hoping that during the games it could be pointed out to me.

BillS
12-08-2010, 05:28 PM

Kum-ba-ya, my Lord, Kum-ba-ya ... :buddies:

PacerHound
12-08-2010, 06:23 PM
I really don't think that Posey deserves a small victory thread.

First of all, if it weren't for him we wouldn't be able to match salaries for Darren Collison.

Second, he plays defense, takes charges, and hits big shots.

Third, he is our leader and he is Big Game James.

As much as I'd like Tyler to play so well that he knocks Posey out of the backup PF spot, he hasn't earned it. Why give minutes to someone who hasn't really earned them? He's played terrible ever since way back when he had twenty points.

The opposition to my point of view is going to say that Posey has played bad, but he has not. The west coast trip killed his percentages, and if it weren't for that trip he'd be hovering somewhere around 37 3pt%.

I am not complaining about anything you wrote but would just like some clarification for my own benefit to see where you are coming from. I need an explanation on how Posey "is our leader and he is Big Game James." I am especially interested in the Big Game James thing.

I also am interested in clarification on how Hansbrough has "played terrible ever since way back when he had twenty points." Just an explanation on what he has done to be labeled that way. I am just curious as to how other people think the way they do and why? No criticism meant. Since many agree with you and more everyday I am obviously wrong so I accept that and only seek to see the other side. Honestly! I want to see what you and O'Brien see that I have not.

cordobes
12-08-2010, 06:57 PM

The numbers per 40 minutes (for Indiana players playing > 15mpg, >150 MPs):

Mike Dunleavy 0.30
James Posey 0.23
TJ Ford 0.19,
Darren Collison 0.18
Danny Granger 0.17
Solomon Jones 0.17
Roy Hibbert 0.14
Brandon Rush 0.10
Josh McRoberts 0.09

src: Hoopdata

Posey's impact is overwhelmingly made on the defensive end. Contesting shots, taking away driving lanes and denying the ball doesn't make highlights reels though. But impacts a game profoundly.
The Pacers 2nd unit has been superb defensively and the numbers show that - the Pacers allow 106.72 points per possession when Posey is off the floor and 96.50 points per 100 possesions when he's playing - a 10.22 differential, one of the largest in the league and the largest on the Pacers (with the exception of Price, who has a very small sample). It's funny that Ford + Dunleavy + Posey lead the team in charges because the Pacers 5 men units that include them have been very capable of shutting down their opponents. His man-defense numbers also show that, it's tough to score on him.

OP: if you want an offensive highlight, see for example the first play out of time-out in this last game vs. Toronto. It was at some point in the 3rd Q. Toronto was in a 10 (or 12) to 0 run, Indiana was going through a scoring drought, settling for jumpers every possession. In the following play, Posey drives through the baseline and assists Solomon Jones for an easy shot at the rim, forcing Ed Davis, I think, to foul him and getting 2 free-throws for the Pacers. It's an easy play that would never make any respectable highlight reel. PeopleHowever, it was a very smart and timely play. After that play, Indiana outscored Toronto till the end of the quarter.

BringJackBack
12-08-2010, 07:04 PM
I am not complaining about anything you wrote but would just like some clarification for my own benefit to see where you are coming from. I need an explanation on how Posey "is our leader and he is Big Game James." I am especially interested in the Big Game James thing.

I also am interested in clarification on how Hansbrough has "played terrible ever since way back when he had twenty points." Just an explanation on what he has done to be labeled that way. I am just curious as to how other people think the way they do and why? No criticism meant. Since many agree with you and more everyday I am obviously wrong so I accept that and only seek to see the other side. Honestly! I want to see what you and O'Brien see that I have not.

Yeah sure.

Next time you watch a game pay very close attention during timeouts and watch what James Posey is doing. Man, you should have asked me before last game's post game show. He was being interviewed and he talked about what we have to do and how to do it.

He is claimed by our assistants as the guy who started the motivation to play tough defense. He also talks and bickers a lot during the games about rotations and all that. He is just a very good guy to have around our young guys.

He also hits threes, doesn't give up on plays, and he takes a crapload of charges.

The Big Game James thing. He doesn't go away when things are tight and when we need a tough shot. He hits clutch shots, he is a great competitor, and he just plays to win. He isn't known for a particular shot like other clutch shooters are, but he hits the daggers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogs3awyNZtE&feature=related

Here's JVG's take on Posey in his prime. Of course, this is when Posey was still good. He was just a player that was tough as nails. Nowadays he isn't a lockdown guy at all but he is still the same mentally.

As for Tyler: He is tough as nails too but just isn't understanding the offense. He is milking the clock, taking bad shots, and the worst part is that he is not able to make passes. He is a very nice player, but he needs a lot of refining to do before he is ready to play over 20 minutes per game.

Heck, you might not be wrong though. If Hansbrough got the opportunity to be the backup power forward perhaps he would play great like he was early in the season.