PDA

View Full Version : Can Jermaine lead the Pacers to a title by 2010?

Sollozzo
08-29-2004, 12:27 PM
Will Jermaine O'Neal lead the Pacers to an NBA championship during his 126 million dollar contract? If he doesn't he was not worth the money.

When you pay a player 126 million, you're paying him to win you a championship. Everyone knows that Jermaine will always be a 20/10/2 block guy in the regular season, which is nice and all, but he is getting 126 million dollars. The only way you can validate a 126 million dollar contract is if you lead a team to a championship.

The Pacers will never have a team that is so deep at every position like the Pistons, because they have Jermaine signed to a 126 million dollar contract. So in order for the Pacers to beat the Pistons in a series, Jermaine is going to have to rise up to the next level and lead the team to victory. 126 million is a boatload to pay, and means that the Pacers don't have as much flexibility as other teams. Jermaine getting 126 million makes me believe that him and management think that he can lead the Pacers to a title.

61 wins...central division banners....those don't mean anything at all. You don't pay a guy to lead you through the reg season, it's all about the playoffs. If Jermaine never leads the Pacers to a championship, signing him to 126 million wasn't worth it.

I know that J.O. is a player that will always rack up big stats in the reg season, and I know he was injured in the playoffs, but I still have my doubts to whether he can lead the Pacers to an NBA title.

Bball
08-29-2004, 12:30 PM
I don't think Pacer management is looking at it quite the same way you are.

-Bball

Destined4Greatness
08-29-2004, 12:34 PM
The Pacers will never have a team that is so deep at every position like the Pistons, because they have Jermaine signed to a 126 million dollar contract.

Most Pistons fans I know say they are mad about the Pacers having more depth. Don't know where you got this. Don't worry the Pistons gave up their 3 best guys off the bench for old guys who miss games and young guys who need more time to develop. Plus we added perimeter shooting to get around their powerhouse defense. 2005 is our year.

Arcadian
08-29-2004, 12:41 PM
A player can be worth a max contract without winning a championship.

Sollozzo
08-29-2004, 12:50 PM
The Pacers are not as deep as the Pistons are. The Pistons have a very good center, pf, sf, sg, and pg, and a very deep bench.

How else can you justify paying a player 126 million over 7 years if he doesn't win a title?

Sollozzo
08-29-2004, 12:50 PM
Sorry, double post

Lord Helmet
08-29-2004, 01:03 PM
Jermaine will eventually lead us to a title I think.I really do think 05 is our year.I am one to never act cocky about my teams and say they are going to win it all.But after last year and the experience we got in the postseason(Keep in mind last year was the first year our group of players were deep in the playoffs besides Reg and Cro and JB)I really think 05 is our year.

Destined4Greatness
08-29-2004, 01:26 PM
The Pacers are not as deep as the Pistons are. The Pistons have a very good center, pf, sf, sg, and pg, and a very deep bench.

How else can you justify paying a player 126 million over 7 years if he doesn't win a title?

No they have depth in PF and C, but lack depth in the rest. Which allows us to exploit the perimeter.

MZahm
08-29-2004, 01:28 PM
Could you justify allowing him to leave by offering anything less than the max?

How deep the Pacers and Pistons are depends a lot on how Bender, Pollard, Delfino, McDyess and Coleman play.

If you're talking about proven commodities, we've got JO, Artest, SJax, Reggie, Tinsley, Foster, Croshere, Anthony Johnson and Fred Jones. They have Ben, Sheed, Prince, Rip, Chauncey, Campbell and Hunter. I don't see any huge disparity between the two groups.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure that JO will lead us to a championship before his contract is up. I'm actually pretty confident that 2005 will be our year so long as no chemistry issues or major injuries crop up.

Lord Helmet
08-29-2004, 01:32 PM
Could you justify allowing him to leave by offering anything less than the max?

How deep the Pacers and Pistons are depends a lot on how Bender, Pollard, Delfino, McDyess and Coleman play.

If you're talking about proven commodities, we've got JO, Artest, SJax, Reggie, Tinsley, Foster, Croshere, Anthony Johnson and Fred Jones. They have Ben, Sheed, Prince, Rip, Chauncey, Campbell and Hunter. I don't see any huge disparity between the two groups.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure that JO will lead us to a championship before his contract is up. I'm actually pretty confident that 2005 will be our year so long as no chemistry issues or major injuries crop up.
I agree that 2005 is our year.As long as no injuries happen we should be fine.

Sollozzo
08-29-2004, 01:32 PM
I understand that J.O. would have left had we not offered him the max, I know we really didn't have a choice. I'm just saying, the only way he is 100 percent worth 126 million dollars is if he leads us to a title.

SoupIsGood
08-29-2004, 01:50 PM
Max players can be worth their contract without winning a title. At least with JO here, we have a chance to win one, where without him we don't.

Arcadian
08-29-2004, 04:43 PM
A player gets the max for being a top player and putting his team in contention to win a championship. If a player got the max for winning the championship the only max players I can name are Jordan, Hakeem, Duncan and Shaq. Whose is the max player on the pistons?

This whole discussion is slightly skewed because "the max" is a recent development. JO would have gotten more than the max if there were no max. In reality the top players are worth more than the Max.

Kstat
08-29-2004, 05:39 PM
Don't worry the Pistons gave up their 3 best guys off the bench for old guys who miss games and young guys who need more time to develop. Plus we added perimeter shooting to get around their powerhouse defense. 2005 is our year.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

First of all, if you just flat-out assume that MCDyess is going to miss games, then you have to assume the same for the only quality big you have left on the Bench, Jon "brittle" Bender.

Secondly, you added perimeter shooting at the GUARD position, which we're plenty used to. We had to go through Michael Redd, Kobe Bryant and Kerry Kittles, all of whome are very good 3-point shooters. Stephen Jackson isnt exactly anything we havent seen.

The only way you're going to draw out our defense is if you have BIG MEN that can shoot from the outside, and if that means you're counting on once-every-5-games croshere, or Jon Bender, who isnt big enough to play the 4 yet, thats trouble.

You can have as many shooters at the 1-2-3 spots as you want, thats not a huge deal.

Kstat
08-29-2004, 05:43 PM
TO awnser the original question, yes, I do think JO will lead the pacers to a title before 2010....

........sometime after Ben and Sheed get fitted for their 3rd and 4th rings.......;)

Destined4Greatness
08-29-2004, 05:53 PM
Don't worry the Pistons gave up their 3 best guys off the bench for old guys who miss games and young guys who need more time to develop. Plus we added perimeter shooting to get around their powerhouse defense. 2005 is our year.

First of all, if you just flat-out assume that MCDyess is going to miss games, then you have to assume the same for the only quality big you have left on the Bench, Jon "brittle" Bender.

Secondly, you added perimeter shooting at the GUARD position, which we're plenty used to. We had to go through Michael Redd, Kobe Bryant and Kerry Kittles, all of whome are very good 3-point shooters. Stephen Jackson isnt exactly anything we havent seen.

The only way you're going to draw out our defense is if you have BIG MEN that can shoot from the outside, and if that means you're counting on once-every-5-games croshere, or Jon Bender, who isnt big enough to play the 4 yet, thats trouble.

You can have as many shooters at the 1-2-3 spots as you want, thats not a huge deal.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Keep on being delusional

Face it your team traded away depth all around for PF, and C. And now any team with a strong perimeter will kick your ***.

Kstat
08-29-2004, 05:59 PM

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Keep on being delusional

Face it your team traded away depth all around for PF, and C. And now any team with a strong perimeter will kick your ***.

Bhagdad Bob returns:rolleyes:

So tell me, since you know more about my team than I do, who was our backup SG last yar?

How about our backup SF?

Did we have ANY natural SGs or SFs on our roster last year? Where exactly is this "all around depth" you spoke of? I guess it looked a lot more impressive to you than it did to me...

What contributions if ANY did Mike james, Corliss, and Okur make in the playoffs? Bonus question: how many minutes did Mike James even PLAY? How does one become a top-8 player if one is the THIRD-string PG, btw?

I'll be waiting to see what kind of story you try to drum up.

In the meantime, I'll say this:

YOU LOST PRIMOZ AND SIGGY! YOUR TEAM IS DOOMED, THEY WERE GREAT ALL AROUND PLAYERS, YAAAAAAAAH!

Just doing a likewise imitation of you...;)

Pay no attention to those detroit dogs! Okur and Williamson were great players! McDyess is nothing! The infadels are being destroyed as we speak! Pacers forever!

canyoufeelit
08-29-2004, 06:09 PM
TO awnser the original question, yes, I do think JO will lead the pacers to a title before 2010....

........sometime after Ben and Sheed get fitted for their 3rd and 4th rings.......;)

Now now, the Pistons are pretty much all in their respective "primes" and it would be reasonable to expect that their window to win more championships is about 4 years and by then Ben and Rasheed will be older and in the twilight of their careers. It is pretty reasonable to expect the Pacers to surpass them and everybody else unless a new dominant team in the East emerges.

...unless you expect Darko to pan out ;)

Kstat
08-29-2004, 06:12 PM

Now now, the Pistons are pretty much all in their respective "primes" and it would be reasonable to expect that their window to win more championships is about 4 years and by then Ben and Rasheed will be older and in the twilight of their careers. It is pretty reasonable to expect the Pacers to surpass them and everybody else unless a new dominant team in the East emerges.

...unless you expect Darko to pan out ;)

.....and of course I do. ;)

I think Larry did a good job of showing that ANYBODY can look bad in 2 minutes oer game of action...just ask Lebron James.......

As soon as either Ben or Sheed gets up there in age (they will be 30 this year, not exactly old), Darko will be ready to take the reigns and keep the pistons contending.

Destined4Greatness
08-29-2004, 06:25 PM
Delusional, to the point of ignoring logic

Kstat
08-29-2004, 06:29 PM

Thats all you have to say?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'd rather be delusional than make snide, 3rd-grade statements with absoultely NOTHING to back them up....:p

Um...err.....I......well YOURE WRONG, and thats it! Pacers in 2005, whooooo! Pistons suck!

Can someone PLEASE help this kid out, I was kinda bored and I wanted at least SOME kind of rebuttal, wrong or other wise......

MZahm
08-29-2004, 06:43 PM
You can't compare Lebron playing limited mins over a half a dozen games to Darko playing limited mins over an entire season. Not that I've written Darko off, but I haven't seen or heard anything to suggest that he could grow into a player who could adequately replace Ben. He just seems awfully soft, and I can't recall any player improving drastically in that department.

And it's not like all the teams Detroit played were totally healthy and the Pistons dominated them. They got past New Jersey by the skin of their teeth even with Kidd hobbled especially during the last few games. They beat the Pacers 4-2, with JO and Tinsley limited in a series where in 4 games, the result was decided by one or two final possessions. The only team they destroyed was LA, and they didn't have Malone after game 2. Not that Malone would have made too much difference, but the series would have looked less lop-sided if he had played. The reason people are so high on Detroit is because they beat an LA team that was hyped out of all proportion.

Detroit's a great team, but there isn't even any reason to suppose that they'd have beaten last year's Pacers if both teams were at full health. This year's Pacers look more balanced, and they should improve internally more than Detroit will because their core players are younger. If both teams get solid play from their question mark players I don't see anything to choose between them. Of course I'm a Pacer fan so I'd say that the Pacer's would edge them in a series.

Destined4Greatness
08-29-2004, 06:48 PM
I have already typed a rebuttal you ignored it. Like a common troll.

DisplacedKnick
08-29-2004, 07:02 PM

Thats all you have to say?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'd rather be delusional than make snide, 3rd-grade statements with absoultely NOTHING to back them up....:p

Um...err.....I......well YOURE WRONG, and thats it! Pacers in 2005, whooooo! Pistons suck!

Can someone PLEASE help this kid out, I was kinda bored and I wanted at least SOME kind of rebuttal, wrong or other wise......

I'm kinda bored too. Let's see - Ben gets injured when his hair gets caught in the net, tearing his scalp out.

Prince and Rip fit themselves into one suit to enter a pro wrestling match as a two-headed, four-armed, 280 lb contender and get hurt ...

Eldon Campbell begins eating the entire buffet at the pre-game meals and you run out of energy in 4th quarters ...

On a serious note, other than injuries which nobody can predict your biggest problem will be if Rasheed gets bored and goes whacko on you.

As for a title this year, I see 4 teams in the mix - amazingly, two are from the EC: Detroit, Indy, Minn and the Spurs. IMO we could call off the season and start the Conf finals with those 4, barring injuries or a big Miami trade where they get more depth.

Kstat
08-29-2004, 08:20 PM
I have already typed a rebuttal you ignored it. Like a common troll.

.......so your rebuttal was "um, err, youre wrong"?

Kstat
08-29-2004, 08:27 PM
he reason people are so high on Detroit is because they beat an LA team that was hyped out of all proportion.

...or, maybe its because they won the NBA championsh- naaaah, coudlnt be....

Detroit's a great team, but there isn't even any reason to suppose that they'd have beaten last year's Pacers if both teams were at full health.

.....just like there isnt any reason to suppose they WOULDNT have beaten the Pacers if both teams were at full health....

if I had a nickel for every time someone said that......

This year's Pacers look more balanced, and they should improve internally more than Detroit will because their core players are younger.

.......I'd be a rich man.

I never said the Pacers didnt have a SHOT to knock the Pistons off, but the champs are still the champs. The Pistons earned the throne, the only way to prove the Pacers are the better team is to take it from them.

SoupIsGood
08-29-2004, 08:30 PM
Let's see...

you guys have added Amal McCaskill, Derrick Coleman, Ronald Dupree, Antonio McDyess, and Carlos Delfino. and lost James, Okur, and Williamson... hmmm

I don't think Coleman will be much of a factor, and I think Delfino will need a year to adjust. Dupree and McCaskill stink, IMO. So as far as immediate improvement/de-provement next year, it comes down to adding McDyess while losing James, Okur, and Williamson. Williamson was the only one there who played a lot, so I see it as a McD for Williamson exchange. I would say you probably break even there, because even if he plays a lot, I don't think he'll be as effective after all those injuries. (Edit - I'm speaking of McDyess, I wasn't too clear there.)

So the Piston's are as good as last year, and just as deep, maybe deeper if they get lucky with dupree or Delfino, IMHO.

Sollozzo
08-29-2004, 09:04 PM
The Pistons are simply a better team than the Pacers are right now. There is absolutely nothing that should make anyone assume that the Pacers are a better team than the Pistons.

Destined4Greatness
08-29-2004, 09:13 PM
The Pistons are simply a better team than the Pacers are right now. There is absolutely nothing that should make anyone assume that the Pacers are a better team than the Pistons.

Logic

Kstat
08-29-2004, 09:22 PM

Logic

This isnt a haiku thread you know, your posts CAN be longer than 7 syllables in length........:p

Destined4Greatness
08-29-2004, 09:25 PM
Like I have said before. The Pistons have sacrificed their power at the perimter(Something they already had been neglecting). So now any team that has strength on the perimeter can defeat them.

If the Pacers stay healthy they will beat the Pistons.

Kstat
08-29-2004, 09:32 PM
Like I have said before. The Pistons have sacrificed their power at the perimter(Something they already had been neglecting). So now any team that has strength on the perimeter can defeat them.

If the Pacers stay healthy they will beat the Pistons.

......And I already asked you exactly WHAT power on the perimeter did we sacrifice? Our 3rd string PG? Corliss Williamson was a perimeter player? Mehmet Okur was a perimeter defender? Did I miss a meeting or something?

So basically what you're saying is, anybody can beat us, now that we lost MIKE JAMES?:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

SoupIsGood
08-29-2004, 09:35 PM
Mike James is God! He was the reason you won it all, and if you can't see that you're a goofnugget. :p:laugh:

Kstat
08-29-2004, 09:36 PM
Mike James is God! He was the reason you won it all, and if you can't see that you're a goofnugget. :p:laugh:

The infadels are being destroyed as we speak!:laugh:

Destined4Greatness
08-29-2004, 09:43 PM
Well still ignoring me, thats what I thought.

Destined4Greatness
08-29-2004, 09:54 PM
Yes the Pistons are Stronger, but only in Strength, not in talent. They lack depth in the 3 out of 5 positions, that is a stupid move. That is a fact, don't see how it needs backing up. Ohh they can shut down the paint, big deal if you are a team with strength on the perimeter.

Now if thats not backed up, well you need a dictionary.

Kstat
08-29-2004, 10:10 PM
They lack depth in the 3 out of 5 positions, that is a stupid move.

PG- backup-Lindsey Hunter (top-5 PG defender)

SF-Carlos Delfino (would have been a lottery pick had he been drafted 2 months ago)

PF-Antonio McDyess/Derrick COleman

C-Elden Campbell/Darko Milicic

Seems to me we have pretty good depth at FOUR positions, and if you're a Dupree fan like me, then we have all FIVE bases covered.

now as for the second part, what exactly was the "stupid move?"

-not signing Okur to a $50 million deal?

-trading Williamson, who had 3 years left on his deal at $7 million per, when Prince is up for renewal this summer?

-Letting our 3rd-string PG go?

Ohh they can shut down the paint, big deal if you are a team with strength on the perimeter.

Yep, we can shut down the paint, BIG DEAL, lol:laugh:

Newsflash: we can shut down on the PERIMETER too, we were one of the top teams at defending the three last year..just ask Michael Redd and Kobe Bryant....

Now if thats not backed up, well you need a dictionary.

Uhh...what?:confused:

MZahm
08-29-2004, 10:21 PM
...or, maybe its because they won the NBA championsh- naaaah, coudlnt be....

Yeah, part of it is because they won the championship, but they're getting more hype than they deserve. San Antonio, Minnesota and Indiana are just as strong. Giving the champions respect is all well and good, but people generally go overboard with it. Repeating is a lot harder than winning it once, just ask Tim Duncan.

.....just like there isnt any reason to suppose they WOULDNT have beaten the Pacers if both teams were at full health....

True, it's not really possible to say which is the stronger team unless they both stay reasonably injury free.

if I had a nickel for every time someone said that......

This year's Pacers look more balanced, and they should improve internally more than Detroit will because their core players are younger.

.......I'd be a rich man.

Your point being?

I never said the Pacers didnt have a SHOT to knock the Pistons off, but the champs are still the champs. The Pistons earned the throne, the only way to prove the Pacers are the better team is to take it from them.

I can't disagree. My point is just that a lot of people talk as if Detroit is head and shoulders above the rest of the league/the Pacers and I totally disagree.

Fool
08-30-2004, 12:09 PM
You all seem to have had a nice little Pacer/Piston debate without me so I won't try to jump in the middle. I will just add this one little thing on the outside of the conversation.

Darko should never be written off after one year by fans of a team which 1) owes its recent success to a guy who languished under veterans for 4 years and 2) has kept a 7 foot sg on the roster for 5 years hoping he will one day fulfill the potential many see in him.

There is really no telling if players like Darko/Bender/J.O. will ever be anything after just one season on the bench.

MZahm
08-30-2004, 12:56 PM
Saying that there's nothing to choose between the Pistons and Pacers is having an inferiority complex?

It sounds like someone needs to stop using words and phrases that they don't understand.

And exactly what makes you say that Detroit is so much better than the rest of the league?

MZahm
08-31-2004, 01:31 PM
I don't resent Detroit getting respect at all. I'm glad that someone in the East finally is and I like the way Detroit play ball, so other than Pacers and probably the Spurs, there isn't any other team which I'd rather have getting all this respect. All I said is that anyone who sees an obvious gap between any of the top 4 that I mentioned is either a genius, biased or confused. And for the record, I'm not the least bit concerned about how the Pacers are perceived by the same people who thought the Lakers had a legitimate chance of sweeping Detroit.

I missed the "most" in your sentence. My mistake.

As for throwing mud, you jumped to a conclusion and made a smug quip. I shot it down. That's all. I'm not interested in trolling.

Destined4Greatness
09-01-2004, 07:32 PM
I don't care what any Pistons trolls say.

Having 5 guards, 2 of which are rookies. And one of which had no room for improvement but ptoentially declining. Is a stupid.

Not to mention have 2 centers who are in their late thirties. and another one who is crap. Is not smart, unless Wallace can play 48 minutes.

MSA2CF
09-01-2004, 07:51 PM
"Can Jermaine lead the Pacers to a title by 2010?"

If we want to get technical, yes, he can.

Kstat
09-01-2004, 09:14 PM

Having 5 guards, 2 of which are rookies. And one of which had no room for improvement but ptoentially declining. Is a stupid.

Not to mention have 2 centers who are in their late thirties. and another one who is crap. Is not smart, unless Wallace can play 48 minutes.

First of all, your behavior on this forum is befitting of a troll more than anyone else that hasn't already been banned.

Secondly, exactly who are the TWO rookies we have in our backcourt? Funny, I can't think of ANY:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Destined4Greatness
09-01-2004, 09:39 PM

First of all, your behavior on this forum is befitting of a troll more than anyone else that hasn't already been banned.

Secondly, exactly who are the TWO rookies we have in our backcourt? Funny, I can't think of ANY:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh those guys have not signed yet. So they have what 3, 4 gaurds that even dumber. Thanks for helping me prove your team is stupid by the way.
Post false fact, wanted to correct

SoupIsGood
09-01-2004, 09:47 PM
Yeah the pistons are so dumb, they must have won that championship by accident or something. :confused:

Destined4Greatness
09-01-2004, 09:54 PM
I have been contending their offseason has been stupid. Do you know which came first. I mean seriously that was a pathetica attempt to change the argument. Just pathetic.

Kstat
09-01-2004, 10:09 PM
Can anyone make sense out of that?

You still haven't answered my question yet: who are the two rookies in the Pistons backcourt?

SoupIsGood
09-01-2004, 10:12 PM
Yeah that makes no sense.

Do i know which came first? I say the chicken, but some will swear it was the egg. We will never know, I suppose.

MSA2CF
09-01-2004, 10:18 PM
The egg came first...Dinosaurs/other animals that were born from eggs came way before chickens. ;)

If you believe in that stuff.

ChicagoJ
09-01-2004, 10:19 PM
Haven't we all learned to give Joe D. the benefit of the doubt? He's got great vision and he sticks with it. (Kinda the opposite of his former backcourt mate, don'tcha think?)

If you're going to judge the Pistons based primarily on a couple of moves that look odd during the summer... good luck with that.

SoupIsGood
09-01-2004, 10:24 PM
Haven't we all learned to give Joe D. the benefit of the doubt? He's got great vision and he sticks with it. (Kinda the opposite of his former backcourt mate, don'tcha think?)

Ouch. Zeke just got burnt.

Hicks
09-01-2004, 10:37 PM
I think some people need to grow up a bit.

SoupIsGood
09-01-2004, 11:00 PM
I hate when people say some people, I always assume its me.

Some people need to grow up. Some people stink. Some people look weird. Some people like to eat cheese with chopsticks.

Hicks
09-01-2004, 11:03 PM
I hate when people say some people, I always assume its me.

Some people need to grow up. Some people stink. Some people look weird. Some people like to eat cheese with chopsticks.

I was totally, 100%, definitely, for sure, referring to you.

:laugh: j/king.

SoupIsGood
09-01-2004, 11:08 PM
I saw someone eating a cookie with a fork and knife today. I felt like I was stuck in an episode of seinfeld. I mean, who the heck does that anyway? :o

Sorry if that was a bit OT, but the cheese and chopsticks thing reminded me of it.

Destined4Greatness
09-03-2004, 04:34 PM
Kstat I answered your question. I admitted I was wrong the Pistons only have 3 Guards. According to Yahoo, for some reason the Pistons website won't work.

Kstat
09-03-2004, 04:46 PM
No, you didn't. You said there were two rookies in the pistons backcourt. I wanted to know who they were.

Destined4Greatness
09-06-2004, 02:16 PM
Kstat I answered your question. I admitted I was wrong the Pistons only have 3 Guards.

Can you read ^

Kstat
09-06-2004, 02:24 PM
can you?

How old are you, anyway?