PDA

View Full Version : Just to be fair

ABADays
08-28-2004, 03:17 PM
I apologize if this may have already been brought up.

Let's take Lithuania, Italy and Argentina and put them in the NBA for a season. Farther 3-point line, more physical, long season, playing a different game and playing against our "teams" - where would they finish? I don't think any of them would make the playoffs.

BTW, this not from an NBA or Team USA apologist.

Hicks
08-28-2004, 03:31 PM
If we can't win the Gold in their game, why should they be expected to excel in ours?

SpADeD
08-28-2004, 03:57 PM
We excelled, we won a medal. He isn't asking them to win the NBA Championship, just to make the playoffs.:devil:

obnoxiousmodesty
08-28-2004, 04:00 PM
I'm watching the gold medal game between Italy and Argentina right now, and it's struck me that I really love Team Argentina. They play so well together as a team on both ends of the floor. They play the game the way I was taught to play it growing up.

I don't see Argentina or Lithuania or Spain or Italy doing well if asked to play under NBA rules against NBA teams, but I don't think that takes anything away from those international teams' greatness. Athletically, they're not as overall talented as many NBA teams, but they can overcome any athletic deficit by utilizing their learned abilities. They're fundamentally sound in their physical and mental skill set, and that's something I see lacking in the NBA. They simply excel at the game of basketball.

Jose Slaughter
08-28-2004, 04:01 PM
I disagree

They are good, solid basketball players before they are athletes.

We are producing very good athletes that lack solid, team basketball skills.

I could use Utah as an example.

Last season Sloan took what many considered one of the most talentless rosters in the history of the league & finished just out of the playoff race in a very strong western conference.

The Lithuanian, Italian and Argentinan teams might not show the same results, but I think they would have the same potential to succeed

ABADays
08-28-2004, 07:02 PM
I agree they are fundamentally sound - to a degree. But boy do they seem to live and die with the 3-pointer.

TheSauceMaster
08-28-2004, 07:03 PM
If we can't win the Gold in their game, why should they be expected to excel in ours?

:thankyou::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

Kstat
08-28-2004, 07:20 PM
Their game revolves WAAAAAAAAY too much around the three-pointer. %90 of the time, the team that hits more threes wins. Most of them don;t know how to do anything else. Its like watching 5 danny ferry and steve kerr clones run around. Most of their big men havent even HEARD of the term "post move" before.

That, and the ridiculous touch fouls that make it IMPOSSIBLE to play man to man defense without fouling out, which is why tim duncan couldnt stay on the court our last two games. All the rules are built to favor little 6-foot guards and soft 6-10 big men who do nothing but shoot threes all day and play zone on the other end. Italy is a prime example, and so was Lithuania.

As for Argentina, %80 of those players should be in the NBA. They are solid all-around players. Thats just an amazing team, I had fun watching them play. An Italy gold, on the other hand, would have made me vomit.

Arcadian
08-28-2004, 07:21 PM
I don't believe talent has much to do with the losing. I truly believe we could put some CBA players that A) were part of a regular squad that played together and B) had experience with international rules that they would compete for a medal. What we need is a National team.

If the players on other teams could get a team into the playoffs they would be in the league.

Kstat
08-28-2004, 07:25 PM
No, talent was a big part of the reason we lost. We just didnt select guys with skills that complimented their teamates.

And I think a number of argentinians just earned themselves NBA tryouts over the weekend. Most notibly, Nocioni and Oberto.

Cactus Jax
08-29-2004, 12:25 AM
The main rule that pissed me off was the whole being able to charge from anywhere on the floor. Like Kstat said, it favors shooters from the outside.

I don't like seeing Lebron or whoever get right to the basket jump up for a dunk or lay-up and some ****-ant stands three inches from the basket and they call a charge.

dipperdunk
08-29-2004, 12:29 AM
And I think a number of argentinians just earned themselves NBA tryouts over the weekend. Most notibly, Nocioni and Oberto.

Nocioni signed for the MLE last month with the Bulls. The Spurs have the rights to Scola who was terrific.

SycamoreKen
08-29-2004, 12:31 AM
The main rule that pissed me off was the whole being able to charge from anywhere on the floor. Like Kstat said, it favors shooters from the outside.

I don't like seeing Lebron or whoever get right to the basket jump up for a dunk or lay-up and some ****-ant stands three inches from the basket and they call a charge.

That's the problem with the NBA. They have *******ized the game so much in favor of the "stars" that people don't know the real game when they see it. If the NBA called games more cleanly, like they used to, then it would be more entertaining. Who really wants to see big guys shoving each other around when there can be more movement and slashing.

Kstat
08-29-2004, 01:43 AM

That's the problem with the NBA. They have *******ized the game so much in favor of the "stars" that people don't know the real game when they see it. If the NBA called games more cleanly, like they used to, then it would be more entertaining. Who really wants to see big guys shoving each other around when there can be more movement and slashing.

Um, is that supposed to mean that in "the real game," you're supposed to be able to flop 3 inches from the basket and draw an acting foul?

If thats part of the "real game," than I pray I never have to see it again......

I dont think the "real game" originally favored zone defense, but that seems to be all FIBA rules allow. It TOTALLY takes great individual defenders like Tim Duncan out of the game. Shotblocking is not utilized at ALL in europe and now I can see why, if you're not flopping and playing zone, you may as well take a seat at halftime.

Just imagine-what if RON ARTEST were on this team? Would he even last a QUARTER with his tight man defense that calls for *gasp* PHYSICAL CONTACT?

He might foul out inside of the first MINUTE.

Tell you what I want, I want people to be able to play great individual defense, and not be penalized for it. I don't want to watch anymore pint-sized point guards go in uncontested for a layup, because people are scared to death of laying a finger on them. I want to see team ball, yeah. Just not at the expense of alienating defense.

skyfire
08-29-2004, 12:09 PM
The Argentinians pulled apart Team USA by exploiting their poor team defense. How come Team USA can be scared to foul, but Europeans try to discourage layups and dunks with solid fouls?

Half the time the US help defense didn't foul because they were so slow to react that it would have been a 3pt play if they fouled.

Argentina did shoot well from the 3pt line but they were alot of good looks. It was expected that Team USA would have the best defense, but picking a team of scorers sure didn't show it. With Duncan the main target of course he is going to rack up fouls in this sort of game.