PDA

View Full Version : Reggie among the elite guards ever

Suaveness
02-05-2004, 02:59 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_040205.html

Q. I am an avid pacers fan going all the way back to ABA days on AM radio. First thing every day, I check Pacers.com for the latest. I know Reggie (Miller) just went over 24,000 points and is somewhere around 14th place in all-time scoring. I think the guard position causes much more wear and tear on the body (running through picks and going baseline to baseline on most every play). You just don't see many 38-year-old guards in the NBA. My question is: how many guards are in front of Reggie on the all-time scoring list and do you think he will end up being the all-time leading scorer for guards? (From Max in Martinsville, IN)

A. This is what happens when you start your day with Pacers.com: you know your stuff. Reggie did just move past the 24,000 point mark for his career and currently is in 14th place at 24,021. Among guards, he ranks either fourth or fifth, depending on how you categorize John Havlicek, who played both positions in his career with the Celtics. Michael Jordan (third overall with 32,292 points) is the top guard scorer of all-time, followed by Oscar Robertson (eighth overall with 26,710), Havlicek (10th overall with 26,395) and Jerry West (12th overall with 25,192). If Reggie continues scoring at his current pace (10.5 per game) and plays the rest of this season and all of next season without injury, he would – assuming retirement at that point - finish with 25,218 career points, just nudging past West. To pass Havlicek and Robertson, Reggie would have to average nearly 24 points per game for the rest of his career, which it’s safe to assume is highly unlikely. To pass Jordan, he’d have to average 72.6 points, which brings new meaning to the notion of fantasy basketball. As it is, he’ll retire among the five highest-scoring guards in NBA history, which ranks him among some of the game’s greatest legends.

MSA2CF
02-05-2004, 05:07 PM
To pass Havlicek and Robertson, Reggie would have to average nearly 24 points per game for the rest of his career, which it’s safe to assume is highly unlikely. To pass Jordan, he’d have to average 72.6 points, which brings new meaning to the notion of fantasy basketball.

He could do it if he wanted to. He is about as efficient as you can get. I don't think I've seen him miss a shot inside the 3-point line (and besides FTs) this year. He can make any shot he wants to. I mean, he could score 72.6 a game if he wanted to, but then we'd lose every single game. :laugh: