PDA

View Full Version : It's official - No Gold or Silver for Team USA

Shade
08-27-2004, 02:51 PM
89-81 losers to Argentina. We will face the loser of Lithuania/Italy for the bronze. We have already lost previously to both teams. :(

TheSauceMaster
08-27-2004, 02:53 PM
Is this supposed to be a reverse karma thread :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

obnoxiousmodesty
08-27-2004, 02:54 PM
Well, if we reverse the karma of Team USA, they'll start winning, so I'm all for that. :cry:

TMJ31
08-27-2004, 02:57 PM
*laughs*

can't say I'm shedding too many tears over this loss.

Pretty funny stuff

Shade
08-27-2004, 03:01 PM
Is this supposed to be a reverse karma thread :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Too late for that. :shrug:

Hoop
08-27-2004, 03:29 PM
PATHETIC :mad:

Granville
08-27-2004, 03:43 PM
I don't think there is any disgrace in losing to some of these international teams. In many ways, I liken this to mid-majors knocking off top teams in the NCAA tourney.

Mid-majors don't generally have the depth of great players that big schools have, but they have very good players, and they tend to stick together for three or four years, as opposed to a lot of the the bigger schools who are losing guys after just one or two years.

As a result, you get "upsets" when a group of really good 22-year-olds who have played together for four years knocks off a group of great 19-year-olds with little experience together. The same is true here. The really good international players with many years together as a team are a tough matchup for the great US players with little time together.

Can the US ever win gold again at the World Championships or Olympics? Certainly. But unless we switch to a full-time national team, the days of being favored to win the gold every time are gone. And, I don't think there is any shame in that.

Kstat
08-27-2004, 03:57 PM
Argentina is a great team, and they played a great game. They deserved to win again.

That said, they didnt have to deal with tim duncan like two years ago. The refs all but took him out of the game themselves.

I also stress that the ORIGINAL olympic team from a couple years ago handed their asses to them. In the end, talent was the reason we didn't win.

Roy Munson
08-27-2004, 04:10 PM
Nice Coaching, Larry.

Cactus Jax
08-27-2004, 06:18 PM
Nice Coaching, Larry.

Any substance to that argument?

Roy Munson
08-27-2004, 06:22 PM
Nice Coaching, Larry.

Yes. He kept LeBron and Anthony on the bench, and for the most part he kept Jefferson and Marbury on the floor.

Obviously, the two young players have many flaws, but they do have energy, Anthony shoots better than Jefferson, and James is the best passer they brought to Athens.

Jefferson and Marbury, on the other hand, were awful, with the exception of one game against Spain when Marbury made a bunch of shots..

I think Brown did a terrible job of using his players.

birdman
08-27-2004, 06:43 PM
Nice Coaching, Larry.

Yes. He kept LeBron and Anthony on the bench, and for the most part he kept Jefferson and Marbury on the floor.

Obviously, the two young players have many flaws, but they do have energy, Anthony shoots better than Jefferson, and James is the best passer they brought to Athens.

Jefferson and Marbury, on the other hand, were awful, with the exception of one game against Spain when Marbury made a bunch of shots..

I think Brown did a terrible job of using his players.

RJ brought a whole lot more energy to the floor than Anthony or James. Playing Marbury as much as he did was questionable though.