PDA

View Full Version : Pacers to play a different offensive style this year.

Hicks
08-27-2004, 09:45 AM
Apparently:

http://www.indystar.com/articles/8/025639-4458-116.html

Question: Since the need for another big body up front has been established, how does David Harrison fit in? Is there any hope from any of the other summer camp big men? Why is Scot Pollard always written off? I agree that he had a dismal year but couldn't he be of some defensive help? (Jeff from Economy, Ind.)

Answer: It's impossible to say at this point if Harrison can help. We'll have to see what he shows in training camp and exhibition play. He's been working out in Indianapolis most of the summer. None of the centers who played on the summer league team are likely to be invited to camp.

I agree Pollard can contribute if given a chance. Rick Carlisle has stated the Pacers will play a different offensive style next season, so perhaps that could allow him to be a better fit. The trade of Al Harrington for Stephen Jackson also might have a ripple effect that creates more opportunity for Pollard by keeping Jermaine O'Neal at forward more often.

I'd never read that anywhere. I wonder what Rick has in store for this season? I never thought he'd play with the offense, but I'm sure not against it either.

Harddrive7
08-27-2004, 10:57 AM
Run, run, run!!! Make it more fun for the players. JO has complained, Ronnie...Use your half court, fine, you know it will always be there. But let these guys run and have fun.

How predictable were we when Isiah had the reigns? I thought that we had good offensive flow then.

I think Pollard will fair a lot better in a similar game plan as the Kings have as well.

Should be interesting.

ChicagoJ
08-27-2004, 11:24 AM
I didn't think last year's offense looked anything like the fairly high octate offense of 1997 - 2000. I think Rick would prefer to open it up a little more, but only if he's got the talent and type of players to do so. If not, he'll stay on the conservative side.

PHC Fan
08-27-2004, 12:08 PM
Wow, let's fix what's not broken. I think that the offensive style fit our team perfectly. Now saying that, I definitely think that we could change things up a little from time to time during the game.

Harddrive7
08-27-2004, 12:33 PM
Wow, let's fix what's not broken. I think that the offensive style fit our team perfectly. Now saying that, I definitely think that we could change things up a little from time to time during the game.

Yeah let's just keep getting to the ECF again year after year without ever making it to the finals. :rolleyes:

beast23
08-27-2004, 12:39 PM
Good, we were WAY too predictable in the playoffs. Spread the ball more, run more. Turn Jamaal a BIT more loose.
I agree that we were way to predictable in the playoffs, but mostly because we couldn't hit a perimeter shot to save our souls.

But turn Jamaal a BIT more loose.

Maybe a BIT.

But you have to be very careful about giving freedoms to Tinsley. The last thing we want is for him to revert back to playground tendancies.

naptown
08-27-2004, 01:04 PM
Yeah I read that this morning....and was very glad to hear it. With the addition of Jackson we got the makings of a really good up tempo team. Tins is one of the top 3 open court PGs in the game. Going to a more run oriented offensive fits our young, athletic players a lot more than that God awful excuse of an offense they ran last year.

blanket
08-27-2004, 01:09 PM
Apparently:

http://www.indystar.com/articles/8/025639-4458-116.html

None of the centers who played on the summer league team are likely to be invited to camp.

I know it's not the part you highlighted, but I found this snippet interesting as well. So I guess no Ruben Bjoumte-Bjoumte for us! I wonder if that means we won't be adding another power player, or if we'll be looking outside of the FAs in camp...

indygeezer
08-27-2004, 01:20 PM
It means that Peja is gonna feel right at home here. (I hope that's what it means anyway)

Bball
08-27-2004, 03:10 PM
I hope when some of you are clamoring for more 'running' that you aren't wanting a 'run and gun for fun' style.

If so, look to the Olympics for what that will gain you. Good defense and a patient offense will kill you when it counts.

-Bball

canyoufeelit
08-27-2004, 03:14 PM
Good. We know we're good in halfcourt already, and now Carlisle is throwing a bone out for the fans by not having his players go one-on-one so often

:laugh:

SoupIsGood
08-27-2004, 05:25 PM
Good. I've said that i thought Rick would open it up a bit more next year, but I always get shot down, people for some reason think Rick simply won't play that way, but he was the offense coach when bird was here, and had even said he doesn't want the pacers to be the type of grind-it-out team the pistons were.

I think Tinsley will prove a lot of his doubters wrong next year, maybe even snag that All-star game bird always talks about.

Anthem
08-27-2004, 09:19 PM
Here's my question.

When did Rick say this?

I sure don't recall it.

Kegboy
08-27-2004, 11:42 PM
I hope when some of you are clamoring for more 'running' that you aren't wanting a 'run and gun for fun' style.

If so, look to the Olympics for what that will gain you. Good defense and a patient offense will kill you when it counts.

-Bball

I don't know. The one major strategy criticism I've heard of Brown is he didn't press more to open up full court situations. The team never looked like it ran much to me. Of course, they didn't have a distributor half as good as Tins.

As for the quote, I seem to remember hearing that the day we signed Sax, or maybe shortly thereafter. Rick said specifically that Stephen gives us more opportunities to run.

But lastly, as much as I'd be happy with us actually opening the offense, I don't think UB could take it if we didn't have any more 70-60 games. :tongue:

Unclebuck
08-28-2004, 12:12 AM
I remember rick metnioning a slightly different offense this upcoming season.

But the average fan won't notice any difference. Sure they'll run a few different plays, but I don't expect any drastic.

One of my pet peeves is this running vs halfcourt style.

Teams run off of steals, blocked shots, and long rebounds. No one runs after a made basket. And really no one runs after short rebound under the basket.

Rick has always talked about a medium tempo. That is the best way to describe the way the pacers played from 1998 - 2000.

One of my pet peeves is when fans say a team is better when they run. No duh. But the most important thing in most teams defense is transition and in today's NBA, teams stop the break.

Most fans think there are two styles of offense, fastbreak and halfcourt. Just like many football fans think their are two offensive plays, running and passing.

Allright I'm done with my rambling. Not sure I mad any sense.

One last thing. Unless a team can execute in the halfcourt late in close games especially late in close playoff games, if you can't execute you have no chance. so "running" is fun and all but at winning time running is generally worthless.

Pistons did not beat the pacers because they "ran" They won because they were able to get easier shots than the pacers late in games. Their execution both offensively and defensively was better.

Bball
08-28-2004, 04:33 AM
Sure, get out on the break and run if the opportunity is there and it is obvious... It is the run and gun thing I am talking about being against. If the team tries to thrive off of running they will be ill-prepared for important games. Big games. Playoff games..,

Value the basketball.

Basically, I agree with Uncle Buck said.

-Bball

indygeezer
08-28-2004, 07:43 AM
I'm with UB and BBall on the offense, controlled FB...know when to run and when to set up. But here is a thing that bugged the * out of me during the Bird/Calisle era that I worry about. As yet I haven't seen much of it, but I fear the worst. That is, dropping 4 players back to shut off the run and leaving 1 man to rebound. That used to drive me absofreakinglutely nuts. Essentially GIVE UP, concede, the the rebound to the opposition to get back on defense. It seemed we RARELY got put back points. Now granted we were a much better shooting team than this one, so opportunities for rebounds were fewer but gosh ominghty to just give em a freebie used to give me ulcers like nobodies business. I don't wanna see that happening again.

SoupIsGood
08-28-2004, 10:33 AM
I just hope we break in obvious break situations. I get tired of seeing Tinsley pull it back when we might have been able to break.

Snickers
08-28-2004, 01:02 PM
Bender will revolutionize the Pacers' offensive style.

Destined4Greatness
08-28-2004, 01:24 PM
I just hope we break in obvious break situations. I get tired of seeing Tinsley pull it back when we might have been able to break.

Amen Brotha

unstandable
08-28-2004, 02:23 PM
The Nets came the closest of anyone to beating the Pistons thanks to their running game. It's the best way to beat a defense like the Pistons', and it works in the playoffs. But it's not just a thing that any team can start doing. The Nets had Jason Kidd, the best point guard at running the break, and Kittles, Jefferson, and Martin, all possibly the best at their positions at running the break. If you have the talent to do it, it can be devastating. But most teams don't have the personel to do it.

Hicks
08-28-2004, 02:30 PM
Tinsley is a terrific PG when running. We can do it here. I wouldn't want us to make it our primary option on offense, but for spurts during a game I'd like to use it. Run whenever the D lets you get away with it, and if they start to shut it down, go back to our half-court we used all last season almost exclusively.

Shade
08-28-2004, 07:09 PM
Sounds good to me. We don't exactly have anything to lose with the offense. It's obvious that the defense is not the problem.