PDA

View Full Version : OT - Barry Bonds is simply not human

canyoufeelit
08-27-2004, 03:52 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=neel/040826

Rolen is the heart of a modern-day Murderer's Row, the brightest star this year in the star-studded Cardinals lineup. He's having one of those near-perfect seasons, a wondrous thing, a year when every hit seems to come with runners in scoring position, and every RBI seems the difference between winning and losing.

With a .612 on-base percentage, Bonds is set to break his major-league record of .582, set in 2002.
He's been huge on a team heading to the playoffs. But he's not the MVP. Barry is. Barry is hitting .367. Barry is sitting on 181 walks and just 25 strikeouts as we speak. Barry is on base more than six times out of every 10 plate appearances (200-plus points higher than either Beltre's or Rolen's on-base percentage). Barry strikes fear in the hearts of the heartiest pitchers and sends their managers screaming into therapy and begging for Xanax. Barry's OPS is 1.425, roughly 400 points higher than Beltre and Rolen, and higher than any of his previous MVP seasons. Barry has pulled a lineup made up of old men and young lightweights within a game of the wild-card lead. Barry hits .429 when there are runners in scoring position and two outs. Barry slugs .813 (150-odd points better than Beltre and almost 200 better than Rolen). Barry maintains his focus through a season-long intentional walkfest. Barry pokes balls up and out of his pitcher-friendly home ballpark. Barry has 35 home runs, 106 hits, 101 runs scored, and 22 doubles ... in just 287 at-bats.

Because the Bonds case isn't built on the traditional MVP numbers -- the RBI total in particular is unspectacular (tied for 15th in the NL). It's the "new" numbers, the "Moneyball" numbers, that send him into the stratosphere.

And let's summarize that for emphasis:

He's on pace to have the highest single season OPS (OBP + SLG, probably the best stat for offensive production) total in history.

He's on pace to have the 4th highest SLG ever in a single season.

Barry Bonds is on pace to have the highest OBP ever in a single season.

When he steps to the plate he will wind up on base 60% of the time.

He is keeping a team that would be below .500 without him (even with Schmidt) right in the NL Wildcard Hunt

Barry Bonds belongs in a higher league. The man is f'n amazing and we should probably be paying more attention to him because he is on a whole other level than perhaps any athlete out of any sport. Is he on steroids? I don't know. I'd rather sit and watch, because this is a player for the ages and the kind of stuff that you can only see once in a lifetime.

SoupIsGood
08-27-2004, 04:04 AM
This guy is the defintion of greatness, a worldseries win is the only thing he still doesn't have, but you can't blame him for that.

canyoufeelit
08-27-2004, 04:15 AM
For comparisons sake:

"Barry Bonds has a .612 OBP. The next closest player is Tedd Helton at .461. Yes, Barry is on another planet"

:o

MSA2CF
08-27-2004, 05:22 PM
I don't like him, but like I said in a thread about him that I posted in the Pub a while back, he's a great hitter, not so much a ballplayer anymore...

ABADays
08-27-2004, 08:47 PM
And soon we will all find out how synthetic greatness is.