PDA

View Full Version : Q.O.D. for 8/27/04

Peck
08-27-2004, 02:43 AM
We need something to talk about so let's talk about this.

If you were starting a team from scratch & had to choose between Jamaal Tinsely & Tony Parker as your point guard who do you choose?

Let's set the stage on this. You will not be alloted a superstar player like either Duncan or Jermaine.

You will be given a team that can both run & run a half court set.

Your big men will be adaquate but not spectacular in defending the paint & they are decent on half court offense.

You have two shooters, but neither of them is deadeye good & your power forward is just a solid journyman.

Your bench is somewhat weak & the backup pg. is a rookie that left school after 1 year.

Who do you want?

SoupIsGood
08-27-2004, 02:50 AM
Probably Jamaal, and run as much as possible.

Joel
08-27-2004, 02:53 AM
I'd take Parker. He's younger, championsip tested, and a better scorer. Parker still has room to grow into a great PG, both as a scorer and a guy running a team. Tinsley, he's a great assists guy, but will never be a guy to get close to 20pts a game.

Kstat
08-27-2004, 03:03 AM
Parker. No doubt whatsoever in my mind.

canyoufeelit
08-27-2004, 03:16 AM
Is this even a question? I love Tinsley but come on, he's Jason Kidd without the wheels. Gotta go with Parker here.

SoupIsGood
08-27-2004, 03:24 AM
I agree Parker is a better PG, but I were buidling a team, I'd want a PG like Jamaal, not a scoring PG. Thats why I chose Jamaal.

Anthem
08-27-2004, 03:25 AM
I love Jamaal, and I think he's a great fit here. But on the team you just put together, I'd have to go with Parker.

able
08-27-2004, 04:16 AM
I'd go with Jamaal because he will simply be the better PG after this year, evenhis scoring will be better, but he will remain a pass first pg, less "the man" prone.

Kidd without the wheels last season, wait for this one.

DisplacedKnick
08-27-2004, 07:59 AM
Parker - and it doesn't much matter what kind of team you put around him.

Fool
08-27-2004, 08:49 AM
I think the conditions you set make Parker an even better choice then just comparing them head to head. Without any go-to-guys on the team Parker's scoring is even more important.

BTW, who's the coach?

If its Carlisle, I don't think it matters much (but I would take the scoring PG as I think his game plans take the creativity away from passing PGs) as Parker would score a lot more.

If its Brown I might take Tinsley as he wouldn't conflict with the coach as much.

If its Byron Scott I might also take Tinsley as he hasn't shown he can coach the half court and the team would likely run non-stop.

In most situations I would take Parker tho.

Hicks
08-27-2004, 08:54 AM
I'd want Parker in this situation, because you'll need him to hit shots and score along with leading a team, which he can also do. I think Tinsley's better at running a team, both running and half-court, but Parker is good at it too, and he's a much better scorer. And he's quicker/faster. So Parker for me.

Slick Pinkham
08-27-2004, 09:00 AM
Parker, fairly easily.

Not that I dislike JT (I like him a lot) but Parker is SO SO much quicker, younger, and has so much more upside that it's not even close.

He's not the consistently good passer that Mel-Mel is, but I think that will come too.

ChicagoJ
08-27-2004, 12:22 PM
Too many caveats.

In general, I'd prefer to build my team around a QB-style PG like Tinsley instead of a scoring PG like Parker.

Also, I really like Tinsley's intangibles - he's overcome so much to make the pros. Although there are many that have said he peaked as a rookie, there are also some that have said last year was "as good as it gets". I think he'll keep working hard, improving, and having a great attitude. After all, he knows first-hand what its like to drive a garbage truck for a living.

You know who Parker reminds me of? Micheal Williams, before he went to Minnesota and broke his foot. I mean, I wouldn't kick him off my team, but I don't think he's as good as his stats or the general consensus indicate.

beast23
08-27-2004, 12:45 PM
You're basically saying that you have CAPABLE players but no excellent players.

And you have a flunkie for your backup PG.

Based on my first statement alone, I would want Parker. I'd want an additional capable scorer on the perimeter and I'd want a PG more capable of penetrating than Tinsley. That's Parker.

My second statement only magnifies the fact that I'd want Parker.

Arcadian
08-27-2004, 01:10 PM
Parker is the better player and the team that described needs a star which Parker is closer to being.

As for Tins there really wouldn't be many situations I would pick him over Parker. Maybe one where I was worried about chemistry, wanted toughness and the pay was a consideration.

sixthman
08-27-2004, 03:14 PM
Parker's youth, speed and better shooting make him the obvious choice. The year we talked the Hawks out of their pick we almost got it completely right.

But, if it was not Parker, I'm glad we drafted Jamaal.

kerosene
08-27-2004, 04:45 PM
Parker.

MSA2CF
08-27-2004, 05:36 PM
Without reading anyone else's response, I would select Jamaal, even without a team of "shooters."

Hicks
08-27-2004, 05:46 PM
I would suggest reading everyone else's responses, MSA :laugh:

MSA2CF
08-27-2004, 05:58 PM

:laugh: Yeah, I see where everyone who would choose Tony is coming from. It's just that I am in love with point guards who do their job, running the offense and filling in with points when they have to, which I believe Jamaal can and does do. Tony is more of a shooting guard than a pointer.

Pig Nash
08-27-2004, 06:03 PM
I would just like to say that this team Peck's built will either way be a perenniel lottery team and you'd lose either as soon as FA came.

SoupIsGood
08-27-2004, 07:50 PM

:laugh: Yeah, I see where everyone who would choose Tony is coming from. It's just that I am in love with point guards who do their job, running the offense and filling in with points when they have to, which I believe Jamaal can and does do. Tony is more of a shooting guard than a pointer.

clapity clap

Is there an applause smilie? :clap: :applause:

Kegboy
08-27-2004, 11:59 PM
Yeah, where'd the old "I like point guards who can point" sig go? :chuckle:

Given a mediocre team, which is what you described, you have to go with a scorer like Parker, because his offense would open up opportunities for others to play off of.

But, given a team with real talent, you go with a creator in Tins, cause he'll find his teammates in situations where they can excel, and he won't take shots away from them, either.

Btw, Peck, did you have a specific team in mind with that setup?