PDA

View Full Version : Well..

Ryan
08-27-2004, 01:02 AM
To everyone:

I only have 100 or so posts but i've been an active member since day 1 here. KStat can vouch for that. Hicks has the only Pacers site on the net worth visiting. He puts a ton of time into it so all of you can have a community to talk about our team. So props to him and his crew.

But...

To ban an active member over something so childish is ridiculous. Did you do EVERYTHING in your power before you banned him? Did you give him a warning saying bans could be in the future if he doesn't watch his tone? Did you explain that children visit this site and language like that is uncalled for? Did you emphasize that PD Members should respect each other before all else?

Censorship is something I absolutely disagree with, especially on the internet. The ban is stupid and it will cause me from returning to the forum. It won't matter to any of you because i'm not very active in posting. Atleast I know i'm not alone in leaving as the 10 people I directed to this website are coming with me.

In closing I'd like to thank the rest of you for making this site a fun one to frequent. To the guy who made the personal attacks at Hicks, you need to grow up. Change doesn't happen with attacks. It comes with logical reasoning. One day you'll understand how foolish you made yourself look.

sweabs
08-27-2004, 01:10 AM
Hicks has already said that he'd prefer to discuss these matters privately. If you have a problem with it...talk to him personally. There is really no need to bring everyone else into this.

SoupIsGood
08-27-2004, 01:12 AM
Which Bannee is it thats making you leave??

Anthem
08-27-2004, 01:25 AM
Not to hijack this topic... but I'm going to because this is a pet peeve of mine.

Moderating a message board isn't censorship. The site belongs to Hicks and able, they can do with it what they want. If they fall in love with power, we can all go somewhere else. We have "agency." We can do what we want.

It's like people who say "I have the right to free speech." Sure you do. But that doesn't necessarily mean you can say it HERE. It just means you can say it without being thrown in jail.

The only power Hicks has is the power to make the best Pacers site he can make. Everything else is up to us. The FBI wiretapping your broadband connection without a warrant is a threat to free speech on the internet. A moderated message board just makes sure there's a place where it's worthwhile to have a discussion.

obnoxiousmodesty
08-27-2004, 01:54 AM
I don't understand how banning someone who has essentially told the entire site to ***** off is censorship. It seems to me those particular posters burnt their bridges then and there. PD has come to expect a level of intelligence and civility found in few places on the 'Net, and if someone cannot follow that unspoken ideal, then they need to go whether by their own volition or by a moderator's.

It's obvious the dismissal of bp has incensed a number of people. That's the source of all this hatred permeating our beloved site right now. Well, the admins thought he had done enough to warrant the boot. Had he? I suppose that's for each poster to decide. If you disagree with their decision, feel free to let them know, but please be civil about it. I'm tired of reading over personal attacks, insults, and general childishness. (By the way, that comment is not aimed at you Ryan, although I do disagree with your position.) No one has been banned from PD for simply disagreeing with those in charge. This site is better than some of the pettiness we've seen lately. That pettiness is what forces the hand of the human beings, our admins, being openly and underhandedly attacked by certain posters. In all the time I've been here, I've never known any person in charge to take advantage of their position in an unfair manner against the posters of this site. I've only seen them try to make this the best Pacers site, and the best community, on the web.

Okay, I've said my piece. That's how I feel.

Peck
08-27-2004, 02:02 AM
Wow, we need the season to start soon!!!!

SoupIsGood
08-27-2004, 02:06 AM
I agree, we're all going crazy.

Only about two more months.

Joel
08-27-2004, 02:33 AM
So much drama. The season is only a stones throw away.. it'll al be better soon.

Shade
08-27-2004, 05:56 AM
To everyone:

I only have 100 or so posts but i've been an active member since day 1 here. KStat can vouch for that. Hicks has the only Pacers site on the net worth visiting. He puts a ton of time into it so all of you can have a community to talk about our team. So props to him and his crew.

But...

To ban an active member over something so childish is ridiculous. Did you do EVERYTHING in your power before you banned him? Did you give him a warning saying bans could be in the future if he doesn't watch his tone? Did you explain that children visit this site and language like that is uncalled for? Did you emphasize that PD Members should respect each other before all else?

Censorship is something I absolutely disagree with, especially on the internet. The ban is stupid and it will cause me from returning to the forum. It won't matter to any of you because i'm not very active in posting. Atleast I know i'm not alone in leaving as the 10 people I directed to this website are coming with me.

In closing I'd like to thank the rest of you for making this site a fun one to frequent. To the guy who made the personal attacks at Hicks, you need to grow up. Change doesn't happen with attacks. It comes with logical reasoning. One day you'll understand how foolish you made yourself look.

I think pretty much everthing you covered is in the rules. Bullet has toed the fine line for a very long time now, and there's just no way you can defend Sassan's and PacerStud's outbursts.

For the final time, guys, please respect Hicks' request to deal with this privately. By posting about this stuff publically, it only makes you look like you're trying to bait someone, even if that's not the case. We don't need any more of these threads. Thank you.

Shade
08-27-2004, 06:08 AM
Oh, and for the record, bullet has taken quite a few unprovoked potshots at me that I've let roll off my back -- most of which warranted at least a temporary ban. I called him on his most recent behavior and was summarily threatened and told "Ooooo...ban me." So I did.

I knew what kind of following bp had around here, which has gotten him a little more leniency in the past for his behavior. But I was tired of his picking at people just to try to get them to go off, and had had enough.

It's unfortunate that some people feel the need to leave over a single poster's banning, especially when it was more than justified. Some of you will be missed. Others (like Sassan), will not. But I guess that's the way it goes. You can either moderate and keep the riff-raff out, or let the place degenerate into the IndyStar (no offense). :shrug: