PDA

View Full Version : The OSU president Gordon Gee says Boise St. and TCU "are not worthy"

Slick Pinkham
11-24-2010, 01:28 PM
of playing for a college football championship due to their conference affiliations and their weak schedules.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5845736

A quick check of the Sagarin strength of schedule rankings shows that these 5 schools have played the weakest schedules among the top 20 schools in the Sagarin rankings:

Ohio St: 59th
Wisconsin: 61st
Michigan St: 67th
TCU: 68th
Boise St: 73rd (but will rise after playing at Nevada)

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt10.htm

So yes, they are at the bottom in strength of schedule Gordon, with YOU AND YOUR BUDDIES!

OSU's non-conference schedule was 4 home games, vs. Marshall, Ohio, Eastern Michigan, and Miami (I'll give them that one). This is fairly typical of big power schools- all non-conference games are at home. If Boise St. or TCU calls and asks to schedule a home-and-home series, they laugh and say "NO, you have to come to our house every year"

Personally I would love to see Boise St. demolish OSU or some other big school in a bowl game, like they did years back to Oklahoma.

I want Auburn to lose this weekend for sure and set up Oregon vs. Boise or TCU (assuming no leap-frogging by lower-ranked power schools).

TIME FOR A PLAYOFF!

Kegboy
11-24-2010, 01:52 PM
Hopefully this year instead of having Boise St and TCU play each other, they'll match one of them against Ohio State.

Shade
11-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Stuff like this is why I just can't take college football seriously until a playoff system is implemented.

Trader Joe
11-24-2010, 03:36 PM
Years back? It was 2007, which I know wasn't your point, but that's not that long ago.

Let me put it this way, anyone who watched Boise State ROLL Fresno last week watched the best team in College Football. They would smoke Ohio State.

Sollozzo
11-24-2010, 03:54 PM
I hate college football. I can't take a sport seriously that doesn't have a playoff system. Every sport - from pee-wee to the pros - has some sort of playoff system to determine a champion....except college football.

The NFL is a superior product in every way imaginable.

idioteque
11-24-2010, 03:58 PM
Ohio State's non-conference schedule is a joke. Plus, playing Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, and Minnesota this year is nothing to tout about. 7/11 of Ohio State's games this year have been against mediocre at best teams, some of those teams which are really awful.

Slick Pinkham
11-24-2010, 06:08 PM
Years back? It was 2007, which I know wasn't your point, but that's not that long ago.

Let me put it this way, anyone who watched Boise State ROLL Fresno last week watched the best team in College Football. They would smoke Ohio State.

I knew it wasn't that long ago but I was too lazy to look it up! :D

Slick Pinkham
11-24-2010, 06:14 PM
I hate college football. I can't take a sport seriously that doesn't have a playoff system. Every sport - from pee-wee to the pros - has some sort of playoff system to determine a champion....except college football.

The NFL is a superior product in every way imaginable.

And the odd thing is, the small colleges have a playoff. The NCAA Division III Playoffs have 32 teams, they started last weekend, and they crown a champion by Christmas. These are the small schools like Wabash, DePauw, Franklin, etc. The other divisions do this as well.

NCAA presidents don't want to risk losing bowl money, but I think that not having a playoffs turns people turn off the sport. Having it would hugely increase revenue due to more interest.

Sollozzo
11-24-2010, 07:07 PM
NCAA presidents don't want to risk losing bowl money, but I think that not having a playoffs turns people turn off the sport. Having it would hugely increase revenue due to more interest.

And the thing is, you could still keep the big bowls by using them as playoff games. A Rose Bowl game between say USC (when they can actually go again) and Ohio State where the winner goes on to play the winner of the Sugar Bowl is going to be a massively hyped game.

Trader Joe
11-24-2010, 07:43 PM
They use the excuse in D-1 that a playoff system would be detrimental to the studies of the players....you can't even make this stuff up.

vapacersfan
11-24-2010, 11:05 PM
And the odd thing is, the small colleges have a playoff. The NCAA Division III Playoffs have 32 teams, they started last weekend, and they crown a champion by Christmas. These are the small schools like Wabash, DePauw, Franklin, etc. The other divisions do this as well.

Yup, my alma matte missed the cute this year (even though we only lost one game to app state) but I agree, the playoff system is amazing.

I know our AD said he took the blame and is going to schedule harder opponents, but I know the playoff system is exciting at smaller schools, though I wish we had made it this year. /side rant

TJ, I love that excuse. It really is priceless

Trader Joe
11-24-2010, 11:11 PM
The part I love the most is ignoring the blatant contradiction by having a month long tournament for basketball in March, the tourney for football would fall during the first two weeks of January which are completely useless in almost every way at every single college.

cdash
11-25-2010, 05:29 AM

Dude, Fresno State sucks. Boise State is not the best team in college football, and I sincerely doubt they would smoke Ohio State.

I know the SOS and all that crap has TCU and Boise State close to some of the big time schools, but they only need to really get up for 2 or 3 games a year. The rest are a cakewalk. They can play like crap and still beat the **** out of everyone else in their conference. Of course this would all be made moot if there were just a playoff system, but hey, that just makes too much sense to actually implement.

judicata
11-25-2010, 06:03 AM
Fresno State does not suck. In the Big Ten, they would be somewhere in the middle. tOSU's schedule is a joke this year. Their big OOC game was against a Miami team that is the 4th or 5th best team in the ACC.

The BCS system + voter bias allows AQ conferences to play nothing but cupcakes and use the inertia of early season polls to keep 2-4 of their teams in the top 25 and put a team into the NC. The Big Ten is the worst of all. The conference as a whole has only played 2 currently ranked teams OOC: when Penn State got trashed by Bama and when Iowa got beat by Arizona. They are hermetically sealed from being exposed.

There are teams with brutal schedules that that man up and go OOC with real opponents and deal with a gauntlet in conference. tOSU sure as hell ain't one of them.

As for Boise, they pass the eyeball test with flying colors and have played a respectable schedule. I hope Auburn loses in the Iron Bowl and BSU whips Oregon for the third year running. If not, maybe they'll somehow get tOSU.

BSU plays much better defense than the two teams in front them, and their offense is very effective. Calling them the best team in CFB is hardly a stretch. This is the year we find out for sure. BSU, and likely TCU, will be playing in BCS bowls, and not against each other.

Stryder
11-25-2010, 10:42 AM
And this is why I despise Ohio State...

Trader Joe
11-26-2010, 12:02 AM
Dude, Fresno State sucks. Boise State is not the best team in college football, and I sincerely doubt they would smoke Ohio State.

I know the SOS and all that crap has TCU and Boise State close to some of the big time schools, but they only need to really get up for 2 or 3 games a year. The rest are a cakewalk. They can play like crap and still beat the **** out of everyone else in their conference. Of course this would all be made moot if there were just a playoff system, but hey, that just makes too much sense to actually implement.

Fresno got beat 51-0! They hadn't been shut out in 12 years...I'll just say we'll see at this point. I haven't watched a more impressive defense and there isn't a more impressive threesome at QB and WR in the entire country.

Trader Joe
11-26-2010, 12:04 AM
Plus judicata brings up a great point. This Boise team played basically this exact same Oregon team last year, and SPANKED EM. And they beat TCU in the BCS game. Just boggles my mind.

jeffg-body
11-26-2010, 01:03 AM
That is why we need a playoff system somehow. So guys like this can get their mouths shut when a team like TCU or Boise State beat them head to head. I like the idea of taking the top eight and doing a short playoff. Hell, use the BCS to rank them and then they play it out.

Trader Joe
11-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Auburn is getting ROFL-stomped right now.

Trader Joe
11-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Well, Alabama decided to see how hard they could choke.

Trader Joe
11-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Good Lord Greg McElroy just got rocked, when they rolled him over his eyes looked completely blank.

ilive4sports
11-26-2010, 08:06 PM

I wouldn't say Fresno sucks, they aren't great, but they are a good team.

Boise State is the best team in football and I don't care what anyone says. They beat Va Tech and Oregon State and play #19 Nevada tonight. I've watched a lot of OSU games this year and there isn't a doubt in my mind that Boise would destroy them. They have absolutely rolled over ever team on their schedule that they should. Sure they only have to get up for 2 or 3 games, but the thing is they play great every single game. They don't look average against anyone. They have had 3 shut outs and average close to 50 a game. I don't care who they play, thats impressive. OSU has one good win and thats Iowa. They lost to Wisconsin which was their best test. If PSU played a full game against them, they would have lost to an average PSU team at home. As a PSU fan I would be way more scared of Boise than OSU.

Boise does a great job at recruiting. My family lives in the Sacramento area and the local high school is a powerhouse there as they have been competing for state championships recently and Boise State has recruited quite a few players from there. Kids like going to Boise. They have a great program and have proven time and time again that they can play with the big boys. What else do they need to do?

Boise is a more complete team than Oregon and has enough speed to keep up with Auburn. They should be ahead of TCU imo too.

College football needs a playoff system. Joe Paterno has been saying this for years. So many people have been saying this for years. I think big conferences schedules are vastly overrated as usually their non conference schedule is terrible as is their in conference schedule. The Big Ten has two good teams in OSU and Wisconsin. MSU and Iowa are good, but aren't special, PSU is average and no one else in the conference is special. The SEC is overrated as usual. They are better than the Big Ten, but I'm really not that scared of most the teams not named Auburn. Only thing that scares me in the Pac 10 is Oregon's offense. The Big 12 is similar to the Big Ten. Don't get me started on the ACC or better yet the Big East. Neither of those conferences deserve an automatic bid this year, nor have they in recent years.

Trader Joe
11-27-2010, 01:33 AM
Well Auburn and Oregon both win.

Now about the only thing Boise can hope for is that Scam Newton gets benched for his transgressions.

Boise St. up 24-7 over 19 Nevada in Nevada right now.

Everyone can have the big conference boys, but I'm taking Boise State over any of them anywhere in the country every time. I'll take their 25 game win streak, their ridiculous 40+ PPG spread, and the best QB in college football every single day.

Ransom
11-27-2010, 03:08 AM
Wow! If you didn't stay up to watch, you missed an all time heartbreaker for Boise.

Trader Joe
11-27-2010, 04:13 AM
Well I guess all of Boise can blame me for that one.

ilive4sports
11-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Well I guess all of Boise can blame me for that one.

I will share that with You. Guess I'm eating some crow today. I went to bed at half time. Still think Boise is better than osu.

Trader Joe
11-27-2010, 06:43 PM
I still think Boise could beat Auburn and Oregon. Look there needs to be a playoff. We all need to pray TCU gets a chance to break up the monotony. Otherwise the big fat conferences will continue to collect their pay checks.

And for the record, I think the loss by Boise yesterday says loads more about the improved play in the WAC and Nevada than it does about Boise.

cdash
11-30-2010, 02:50 PM
My biggest problem with Boise: Their blue ****ing field. That thing is an outrage. The NCAA needs to step in and mandate that all playing surfaces in CFB be green. That smurf turf is obnoxious and when they wear their all blue uniforms at home you can't see them! They blend into the turf. It's ridiculous. If you want to be taken seriously Boise, then get rid of that gooftrooper field.

ilive4sports
11-30-2010, 03:01 PM
My biggest problem with Boise: Their blue ****ing field. That thing is an outrage. The NCAA needs to step in and mandate that all playing surfaces in CFB be green. That smurf turf is obnoxious and when they wear their all blue uniforms at home you can't see them! They blend into the turf. It's ridiculous. If you want to be taken seriously Boise, then get rid of that gooftrooper field.

Thats exactly why they made their field blue. Quite frankly I think it's genius. The NCAA has made a rule about it, and boise is why, but they have been grandfathered in. A couple weeks ago they wore orange jerseys on it and they still won 51-0. Does it take an adjustment? Yes. Is it why they are good? No. The blue field is how they got attention in the first place.

Slick Pinkham
11-30-2010, 03:02 PM
cdash,

You would just love the Eastern Washington field:

http://tuptdown.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/red-turf.jpg

and yes, they wear red....

http://www.goeags.com/sports/m-footbl/Action_Photos/IMG_5805aa_story.jpg?max_width=415

and here is the combo:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Mw8xYR4fPRc/TK9HTGFiFwI/AAAAAAAABFw/MLR_keDqyfM/s1600/redonred.jpg

Ransom
12-02-2010, 12:03 PM
The funny thing is, living in SEC country, the attitude I heard around here was that Gee was arrogant...for thinking the Big Ten should be mentioned the same sentence as the SEC. The last few years they haven't been talking about how much Boise St. is a joke, but how any team that comes out of the Big Ten (or pretty much any other conference) is at an unfair advantage for playing in a second rate league.

They do by and large hate Boise St/TCU though. My girlfriend (Razorback fan) texted me immediately after Boise lost about how much she and her parents were loving it.

Slick Pinkham
12-06-2010, 11:06 AM
So the Bowls take a dump on Boise St., having them play on a minor bowl on DEC. 22 vs. Utah, while all of these lesser teams play on New Years' Eve or on January 1:

Notre Dame (7-5)
Miami (7-5)
Georgia (6-6)
Northwestern (7-5, #72 in the sagarin rankings)
Texas Tech (7-5)
Florida (7-5)
Penn State (7-5)
Mississippi State (8-4)
Michigan (7-5, lucky to even beat IU)
Connecticut (8-4)

Just about as bad, 12-1 Nevada (#18 in the Sagarin ratings) plays 7-5 Boston College (#57 in the Sagarin ratings)

Slick Pinkham
12-06-2010, 11:32 AM
It is time for a real playoff, 32 teams, with no bowls at all other than those used in the playoff (16+8+4+2+1 = 31 playoff games vs. the 35 bowl games we have now). Each of the current bowls could host a playoff game, with full sponsorship.

Have teams finish by Dec 1, play 16 games on Dec 10/11, 8 games on Dec 17/18, 4 on Jan 1, 2 on Jan 8, crown a real champion on Jan 15 five days later than we would under this BCS crap.

How exciting would it be to have 4 concurrent doubleheader playoff games on your TV this Friday night, followed by a Saturday with 2 parallel quadruple headers? College football playoff excitement would match or exceed March Madness. Then you'd repeat it the next weekend with 8 games. Wow.

Trader Joe
12-08-2010, 09:49 AM
I agree Tom, but 32 seems like a lot, and they'll argue these kids will be too worn down after playing a 13 game schedule to then be expected to play 4 playoff games if you're the championship teams.

That's way I think 8 is probably the best choice, but man if there were 32...drool.

Trader Joe
12-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Also, funny that Utah vs. Boise State might actually be one of the best games we see all bowl season.

ilive4sports
12-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Also, funny that Utah vs. Boise State might actually be one of the best games we see all bowl season.

After Utah's bad showing against TCU and ND I think Boise won't have much trouble with them. Quite frankly Utah didn't really even beat anyone good this year.

And 32 teams is way too many. One, there aren't 32 teams that deserve to be in the playoffs for a National Championship. I mean look at the top 25 right now. Do you see anyone outside the top ten even being competitive? Maybe LSU at #11. I think an 8 team playoff would suffice. It would only add 2 more games to the season for the teams going to the title game. If they want, bowl games can exist outside the playoffs.

Oh and about the SEC... I will just say this, yes they have had better National Title success, but look at the other bowl games that the Big Ten has played in. They went 4-2 last year and won the 4 biggest ones and I believe they went .500 the year before. I think we are 2-0 against the SEC in the last two years as well.

At the very top the SEC is better, but I think the Big Ten is a deeper conference, which is why there are 3 teams in the top 10.

judicata
01-01-2011, 09:49 PM
The Big Ten Champion just lost to TCU, a team that Gee thinks gets fat off of "Little Sisters of the Poor" teams. Is there anything more delicious?

Edit: Also, the "Murderer's Row" Big Ten Conference just went 0-5 today in Bowl Games. Iowa and Illinois are the only teams that represented. If you count Nebraska, the Big Ten's newest addition, the Big Ten is 2-6 with one game to play and 3 of the top 4 ranked teams losing. OSU is all that is left, and they have to play Arkansas.

idioteque
01-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Gee can go eat his crow now. TCU flat outplayed Wisconsin, who is better than Ohio State. Plus his amazing conference was throughly whopped today. All I née now is for OSU to lose in the Sugar Bowl.