PDA

View Full Version : Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

OakMoses
11-23-2010, 12:40 PM
It always makes me mad that there's an IU thread and no Purdue thread - especially when Purdue has a better team, like they do right now.

I don't know that you can learn anything from any of the games so far, but the Alcorn State game was as dominant of a performance as anything I've ever seen in college basketball.

I'm still waiting for some of the young kids to actually do something to prove they're worthy of a roster spot. I'm talking about you Ryne Smith, DJ Byrd, Patrick Bade.

Right now Terone Johnson looks like the best recruit since the Hummel class. I just hope he doesn't suffer the same fate as Kelsey Barlow.

Marcius is big and that's one thing Purdue needs more of. He also seems to have a nice finesse game to go with his big.

I applaud Painter for trying to keep 2 bigs on the floor, but I'm not sure it's going to work. It doesn't really maximize the talent on the roster.

Kegboy
11-23-2010, 04:32 PM
I was gonna start one last week, but was too lazy. :shrug:

Howard was pretty impressive the first 10 minutes of that first game. I think that new coach is gonna do some good there. Nice swarming zone. Too bad for them we've got some zone busters this year.

Of course the trade off is defense. Sounds like Oakland exposed some deficiences in that area Sunday. Tonight at least will give me the first reason to watch ESPN3 on the 360.

I think Byrd has proven he's a rotation player. The problem is Painter's playing him as a 6'5" PF. That's an indictment of Bade and Carroll to be sure, but goes to show you how thin we are up front. Hopefully Marcius can stay healthy, or else we're really up **** creek.

Trader Joe
11-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Wait...you can watch ESPN3 on the 360?

pacer4ever
11-23-2010, 04:39 PM
Wait...you can watch ESPN3 on the 360?

there is a new app that shows games on or 360 for free if u have gold. Only certin ones thoght.

Trader Joe
11-23-2010, 04:45 PM
I got the ESPN app, but I thought it only had highlights.

Kegboy
11-23-2010, 05:22 PM
I got the ESPN app, but I thought it only had highlights.

You should have Live and Upcoming Events listed.

Kegboy
11-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Well, I tried watching, but it was an SD feed and I could only stand a couple minutes.

Sounds like Smith responded coming off the bench. He's always struck me as fitting the Todd Foster role anyway. Byrd played well, but I view this as a stop gap at best. Once conference play starts we're gonna need another big to step up, or we're gonna get murdered inside.

Kegboy
11-27-2010, 12:57 AM
Haven't watched the game yet, but looking at the box score, don't think we're gonna be leading the nation in assists anymore. :kickcan:

Trader Joe
11-28-2010, 01:15 AM
So, uh, you guys really need a third option to draw attention off Moore and Johnson...Painter's past couple classes are coming up duds.

Kegboy
11-28-2010, 07:55 AM
So, uh, you guys really need a third option to draw attention off Moore and Johnson...Painter's past couple classes are coming up duds.

No, I think Terone's gonna be pretty good, and Barlow and Byrd should be good glue guys. And regardless of last night, we actually do have plenty of good shooters. We just desperately, desperately need some size.

I figured this would start Wednesday against VT, but I'm guessing Richmond actually watched some film on us. During the game, I looked at Richmond's ESPN page, and they were 225th in the nation in rebounding. And they had 10 more than us.

I find myself really wishing for some pro-style rules. Like putting Hummel on Injured Reserve and bringing Carroll up from the farm team. Or trading Hart and Barlow for a PF who can walk and chew gum at the same time.

OakMoses
11-29-2010, 12:26 PM

I'm on the fence between deciding if they're duds or if they're too accustomed to being role players and can't/won't bring themselves to step up.

I agree with Kegboy that Terone Johnson will be good. He may lead the team in scoring next season. He'll be a star in the Big Ten before his career's over.

I like DJ Byrd, he's just about 4 inches too short for his game. He's a 3/4 tweener with the body of a combo guard. It's not a good mix, but I like his attitude. He's got as much fight in him as anybody on the roster.

John Hart is the only guy who's willing to really try and score.

There are plenty of excuses for the Richmond loss (4th game in 5 days, etc.) and some of them are valid. As Pacer fans we know how ugly a motion offense gets when no one moves. The bottom line, however, is that we got punched in the mouth by a good team and we really didn't punch back much.

My hunch is that we'll settle in to being a top 15-25 team and wind up with a 4 or 5 seed in the tourney and probably a 2nd round loss.

Oh, one other thought: In games like this one, I think Painter needs to take the reins off Lewis Jackson. He can create shots better than a stagnant motion offense.

Mackey_Rose
11-30-2010, 06:34 AM
Glad to see this thread! That Richmond game was hard to watch, but I think we will get back on track tomorrow night in Blacksburg.

Trader Joe is both right and wrong. E'Twaun and JJ are going to have sore backs by the time this season is over with. They are going to have to carry the team the whole way.

He's wrong in calling the last couple classes duds. Give Barlow some more time. I really think he's going to be good. Terone Johnson has shown me a lot of potential already as well.

I'm not a DJ Byrd fan at all. He's too much of a gunner for my liking.

Trader Joe
11-30-2010, 10:27 AM
BTW, I didn't mean the duds comments to be offensive, a good coach can get by with 1 or 2 bad classes.

Admittedly, I haven't seen enough of Terone to have an opinion on him one way or the other, but he hasn't blown me away that is for sure.

As far as Barlow, I don't like him, I haven't liked him since I saw him in high school. I just don't think he's a very good player, and I have the same opinion of Byrd.

Perhaps the guy that would be the most frustrating to me is Lewis Jackson. He's been good, but he's never really lived up to the hype bestowed on him by the recruiters towards the end of his recruiting. He was being regarded as the same level of prospect as Verdell Jones by the time it was all said and done, and maybe even a little higher. He doesn't show any aggressiveness though IMO. Now maybe that's because Painter doesn't let him, but I tend to think that Painter is a good enough coach that if Jackson was showing that ability he would let him use it.

Kegboy
11-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Perhaps the guy that would be the most frustrating to me is Lewis Jackson. He's been good, but he's never really lived up to the hype bestowed on him by the recruiters towards the end of his recruiting. He was being regarded as the same level of prospect as Verdell Jones by the time it was all said and done, and maybe even a little higher. He doesn't show any aggressiveness though IMO. Now maybe that's because Painter doesn't let him, but I tend to think that Painter is a good enough coach that if Jackson was showing that ability he would let him use it.

While Jackson didn't necessarily play timidly after he came back from injury, I did get the feeling that he didn't want to rock the boat and diverge from the system. I don't know if that's necessarily carried over, but he has seemed to be pretty intent on not painting outside the lines, so to speak. I'd like to see Matt encourage him to be bolder out there, but as Melli points out, that contradicts a lot of what we try and do offensively.

We just need to get through tomorrow, then we've got a month to tinker before the big boys come knocking. But god help me, if the Big Ten loses the challenge because of us, I'm gonna scream.

Trader Joe
11-30-2010, 04:22 PM
While Jackson didn't necessarily play timidly after he came back from injury, I did get the feeling that he didn't want to rock the boat and diverge from the system. I don't know if that's necessarily carried over, but he has seemed to be pretty intent on not painting outside the lines, so to speak. I'd like to see Matt encourage him to be bolder out there, but as Melli points out, that contradicts a lot of what we try and do offensively.

We just need to get through tomorrow, then we've got a month to tinker before the big boys come knocking. But god help me, if the Big Ten loses the challenge because of us, I'm gonna scream.

Don't worry Minnesota already ham stringed the conference by losing what should have been a sure win at home against a terrible Virginia team last night. ACC got a whole bunch of new life with that win.

Kegboy
11-30-2010, 04:23 PM
Don't worry Minnesota already ham stringed the conference by losing what should have been a sure win at home against a terrible Virginia team last night. ACC got a whole bunch of new life with that win.

Oh, you're kidding me? Hadn't seen that. Come on Tubby! :facepalm:

Trader Joe
11-30-2010, 08:21 PM
I wish I was kidding. Virginia lead for most of the game.

Dab
12-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Nice performance today by Purdue in beating Michigan on the road. It was close at halftime, but the Boilers took over in the 2nd half.

A really nice day for Ryne Smith, who set a career high in points with 17. It doesn't surprise me when he goes off at home, but he's starting to stroke the 3 with more consistency on the road. Purdue's offense looks a whole lot better when somebody other than Moore and Johnson is a scoring threat.

Heck of a stat line for Terone, too

4-6 fg, 2-4 3pt fg, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, just 1 turnover, 10 points

but a lot of those came in garbage time, while Smith was doing his damage all through the game.

Mackey_Rose
12-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Good win today for the Boilers. It was definitely good to see Smith get off early and often. Obviously not having Hummel is an enormous loss but if Moore and JJ can get some consistent help from a couple other guys there is no reason this team shouldn't contend for a Big Ten title.

Kegboy
12-28-2010, 07:42 PM
Not much more you can ask from this team, especially on the road. That dunk was a great way to kick off Big Ten play.

Dab
12-31-2010, 03:40 PM
E'twuan pours in 31 today as Purdue downs a pesky Northwestern squad 82-69. Although Purdue spent a good part of the day with a decent lead, it never felt like it. If Shurna had been totally healthy, this game would've probably been much closer.

Another double-digit scoring game for Ryne Smith who missed his first five shots before sinking his last two, both 3s. Purdue also out-rebounded the Wildcats; it's always good to see the Boilers rebound well.

Next up is a road game at Penn State on Wednesday, which should be a battle but one Purdue should win. Nothing comes easy in the Big Ten, except for perhaps the game after that when Iowa comes to Mackey Arena for a Sunday matinee game. The first half of the Big Ten schedule is pretty soft for Purdue, at least compared to the second half, so it's crucial to pick up the wins now.

Mackey_Rose
01-02-2011, 11:05 PM
Wednesday will be a pretty good test for this team. Penn State owned IU at Assembly Hall. Should be another win for the Boilers though.

Kegboy
01-03-2011, 09:14 AM
I don't know, they blew it against Michigan yesterday. Battle's got to be tired after playing the full 40 in four straight games.

ECKrueger
01-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Looked pretty good in B1G play so far. Hart is possibly playing Sunday.

Dab
01-06-2011, 09:11 AM
I think we may have found our "3rd scorer" as these Ryne Smith outbursts are getting to be less and less a novelty. 5-5 on 3s and Smith leads the team in scoring in a 83-68 road win at Penn State. I was more impressed with Lewis Jackson though. Lewis had a career high in points, but it's been his overall game these last few weeks that have had me smiling. He's been playing great defense, he's scoring when needed, and he's been making good decisions.

E'twuan had an off game, which hasn't been uncommon for him at Penn State, but Kelsey Barlow and Terone Johnson picked up the slack. Terone still not shooting great, but he snagged 6 boards and dished out 4 assists. Another Travis Carroll sighting, which is encouraging.

Areas of concern are free throw shooting and difficulty at the rim. Purdue dominated the boards in this game, but that's greatly due to the fact they missed many shot close-in shots. Fortunately, they were able to grab many of their own misses, but they're not going to be able to do that so easily against the upper echelon of the Big Ten.

Dab
01-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Purdue pummels Iowa as Smith goes off again. Ryne hit 6 out of his first 7 attempts from 3-point range and leads the team in scoring again. Purdue's defense harasses Iowa all day as the Hawkeyes shoot 38% from the field.

Purdue is definitely taking care of business with the teams they should beat. The schedule gets tougher from here, and then gets brutal, but every B1G Ten team is going to have a brutal stretch.

ECKrueger
01-09-2011, 03:49 PM
good win, especially if we win without 33 or 25 doing much. Moore especially has not been shooting well.

Mackey_Rose
01-10-2011, 04:25 PM
I was wrong about Penn State. They looked awful. That can't make IU fans feel good about things.

Thursday at the Barn in Minnesota will not be easy. Nor will Sunday at West Virginia. They will get a bit of a breather at home against Penn State before they end the season with an absolute beast of a schedule.

Michigan State on Jan. 22
at Ohio State on Jan. 25
Minnesota on Jan. 29
at Wisconsin on Feb. 1
IU on Feb 8
at Illinois on Feb 13
Wisconsin on Feb. 16
Ohio State on Feb. 19
at IU on Feb. 23
at Michigan State on Feb. 26
Illinois on Mar. 1
at Iowa on Mar. 5

Other than the two IU games (which won't be easy, anyway, due to the rivalry nature of Purdue/IU) and the final game at Iowa, every game is going to be a struggle. I think it is important to maintain position for at least a 2 seed in the tournament. To do that, they probably can't lose more than 4 of those games. It's going to be tough.

Dab
01-10-2011, 04:46 PM
I was wrong about Penn State. They looked awful.

They didn't look too bad against Michigan State.

Mackey_Rose
01-11-2011, 08:03 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/ncaa/01/11/mbakwe.arrested.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

Minnesota's best player just got arrested and sent to jail last night.

No idea if he will play Thursday or not, but it has to be a bit of a distraction either way. By the way, this Mbakwe guy sounds like a real stand-up guy.

Dab
01-11-2011, 10:40 AM
From what I'm hearing, Mbakwe and his former girlfriend had mutual restraining orders against each other; he heard she was having a bad time and sent a Facebook message basically asking if she was OK. Fairly innocuous, but technically a violation of the law. It will be a game changer if he doesn't play, as he's a rebounding beast and probably their best player. Coincidentally, he used to play for Tom Crean at Marquette before transferring to Minnesota.

Either way, the Boilers are going into an environment they haven't experienced this year, with the possible exception of the Virginia Tech game. I can't really remember what the crowd was like for that game, but Purdue managed to escape in OT with the win. The Boilermakers' first two Big Ten roads games were not representative of typical Big Ten road games. The Michigan game started at 2 PM on a Tuesday afternoon with the students gone, and the crowd (if it can be called that) at the Penn State game was just dead. Williams Arena will be intense. It will be interesting to see how the team responds, especially Ryne Smith.

Dab
01-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Mbakwe to play (http://www.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1278)

ECKrueger
01-11-2011, 10:45 PM
I hope Hummel doesn't make the trip. Every time he has torn his ACL Minnesota has been around.

ECKrueger
01-16-2011, 06:13 PM
I guess we are going to have another mid-season slide...

Mackey_Rose
01-16-2011, 07:00 PM
I guess we are going to have another mid-season slide...

It has more to do with the schedule than anything else. We hadn't played anybody until this week. They weren't going to go undefeated. There will be more losses to come, just gotta roll with the punches.

Trader Joe
01-16-2011, 08:00 PM
I hope Hummel doesn't make the trip. Every time he has torn his ACL Minnesota has been around.

How were they involved the second time?

ECKrueger
01-16-2011, 10:22 PM
It has more to do with the schedule than anything else. We hadn't played anybody until this week. They weren't going to go undefeated. There will be more losses to come, just gotta roll with the punches.

I know it just sucks to lose the games consecutively. They are definitely the toughest games we have played. I'm sure we will be back soon.

How were they involved the second time?

They technically weren't, but they were playing us in West Lafayette.

In football.

Trader Joe
01-16-2011, 10:27 PM
I figured that was probably the case, ha.

OakMoses
01-17-2011, 01:42 AM
Is it just me, or did West Virginia seem to get every single call today?

Heisenberg
01-17-2011, 03:04 AM
Is it just me, or did West Virginia seem to get every single call today?Not just you. That big Turkish kid went over the back on all of his boards.

Kegboy
01-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Whenever there's a non-conference game I wonder which conference the officials are from.

That said, we didn't play good enough to win. It's good experience for us, that crowd seemed to get really loud at the end. And a non-conference loss doesn't mean much. Still trying to figure out why their students rushed the court when they won the Big East and went to the Final Four last year, though. :crazy:

Looking at the schedule, hard to believe Wednesday's game against a team that just beat MSU and Illinois is going to be our easiest game until March. Whew. Bring on the pain.

Trader Joe
01-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Rushing the court has been totally cheapened.

I pretty much gave up all hope after I stood in the student section helpless as people around me rushed the court after beating ****ing Minnesota a year or two ago.

So embarrassing.

Mackey_Rose
01-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Rushing the court has been totally cheapened.

I pretty much gave up all hope after I stood in the student section helpless as people around me rushed the court after beating ****ing Minnesota a year or two ago.

So embarrassing.

It's true. On almost any given night, you can count on somebody storming the court. It is ridiculous.

I saw it twice yesterday. West Virginia after beating Purdue, and Wright State after beating a very inconsistent Butler team. At least Wright State/Butler was a conference game, but still, save it for the big one.

Unless you are an unranked team beating the number 1 team in the nation, storming the court should be off-limits.

ilive4sports
01-19-2011, 11:37 PM
My beloved Nittany Lions almost pulled it off, so similar to the game against OSU.

ECKrueger
01-20-2011, 12:07 AM
That was an absolutely amazing game to be at. Mackey was so loud for most of the second half and almost all the last five minutes or so. Then after JJ's shot and the steal it was just crazy! Best game I have ever been to.

Foul on Smits
01-20-2011, 04:52 AM
I'm super hyped about these next 2 games right now. If Purdue wins those, they should get mad respect around the country. I'm also curious how many losses MSU needs to get knocked out of the top 25. And would Purdue be afforded that many losses and still remain in the top 25.

I'm getting **** face and rowdy next tuesday.

Mackey_Rose
01-20-2011, 08:43 AM
Pulling out that win against PSU was huge. If we had lost that one, it very likely would have been the beginning of the end.

Looking forward to ESPN's College Gameday in West Lala on Saturday. Should be a great atmosphere.

Dab
01-20-2011, 03:56 PM
It would have been devastating to lose a third straight close game like that.

Kegboy
01-20-2011, 07:57 PM
It would have been devastating to lose a third straight close game like that.

When we were getting to brass tacks, I thought, "Well, we lost three games in January last year." At least we played a lot better in these than back then.

I think we should be prepared for a lot more close games and a lot more losses. As Painter said, Penn State is a tournament caliber team. So is Northwestern and the five ranked teams besides ourselves. Gonna be a damn tough slog, but at least it'll make for good basketball.

Dab
01-20-2011, 10:43 PM
I think we should be prepared for a lot more close games and a lot more losses. As Painter said, Penn State is a tournament caliber team.

I'm prepared, but I'm hoping for a lot more close games and just a couple of losses, but we'll see. I am glad we're through with Penn State, at least until the BTT.

IU playing tough at Wisconsin, 7 point lead with 30 seconds left in the 1st half.

Mackey_Rose
01-22-2011, 11:19 AM
Heading up to Lafayette here in an hour or so. My weekend will be complete if I can drink a Boilermaker at Harry's with Erin Andrews.

Got great seats for the game tonight. We gotta be able to hold serve at home, because there aren't going to be any easy ones the rest of the way. Is this the most balanced the Big Ten has ever been from top to bottom? Should be a fun way to close out the regular season, every game will be huge.

Dab
01-22-2011, 10:40 PM
This is the guy who couldn't buy a shot for a couple of games .

Foul on Smits
01-23-2011, 03:39 AM
When Barlow dunked that ball, i nearly broke about 10 things jumping around in my living room. I felt like i had just dunked that ball.

OSU game is the biggest game i can remember in the regular season. Purdue has enough to make a run at a National Championship, but people keep holding them down with the Robbie Hummel injury. If Purdue beats OSU, the entire landscape of the top 10-15 teams changes. People will know they are for real. Plus JJ might be player of the year in CB.

Can not wait. I'll be at a bar called The Mouse Trap drinking shots and going nuts tuesday night.

Dab
01-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Yeah, Kelsey's dunk made me jump out of my seat.

ECKrueger
01-25-2011, 01:32 AM
Should have been in the crown during the dunk...oh my....

Mackey_Rose
01-25-2011, 06:33 AM
Big game tonight. I don't expect the Boilers to win, but I do expect they will be competitive.

Selfishly, while a win tonight in Columbus would be huge, I wouldn't mind getting the chance to knock off an undefeated Ohio State team at Mackey in a few weeks.

ilive4sports
01-25-2011, 11:45 PM
OSU is just on another level tonight.

cdash
01-25-2011, 11:51 PM
I'd make fun of the score, but every IU game is an embarrassment at this point. Sooo...**** my life.

ECKrueger
01-26-2011, 08:13 AM
ya that was embarrassing

BRushWithDeath
01-26-2011, 12:40 PM
Purdue played terribly. Ohio State hit on all cylinders. It happens.

What disappointed me was the lack of effort. Very un-Purdue like.

But last night no team in the country, playing as good as they could play, wins that game. That's how impressive OSU was. I thought there lack of depth would hold them back in the tournament but I don't believe that now. That looked like a national champion to me.

Dab
01-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Disappointing, as I would've like for us to have a chance to win, but Purdue was never in it. The team didn't seem prepared to play, and that falls on Painter.

It's just one game though, with a bunch of tough ones still to come. If the Boilers dwell on this loss, there will be more losses to come, that's for sure. They need to come out against Minnesota with their heads in the game from the get-go.

Trader Joe
01-26-2011, 03:56 PM
As like as someone beats Ohio State before the end of the year, I'll be happy

Foul on Smits
01-29-2011, 02:56 AM
HUGE GAME. Gotta crush Minnesota

Dab
01-29-2011, 03:05 PM
A Bade sighting

Mackey_Rose
01-29-2011, 04:05 PM
Needed this win. Nice recovery from the *** pounding we took in Columbus.

Kegboy
01-31-2011, 03:21 PM
Crazy that the week we get our asses kicked we actually move up in the polls. Sure hate seeing ND ahead of us, though.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings/_/year/2011/week/13/seasontype/2

ECKrueger
01-31-2011, 03:25 PM
Crazy that the week we get our asses kicked we actually move up in the polls. Sure hate seeing ND ahead of us, though.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings/_/year/2011/week/13/seasontype/2

Did you see how many other top teams lost? I'm not surprised we moved up a bit.

Trader Joe
01-31-2011, 03:37 PM
It's about time a Notre Dame actually played up to it's ability. I don't know why Mike Brey is so respected around the NCAA. I always think those teams seem to under achieve.

Mackey_Rose
01-31-2011, 06:32 PM

We did beat two top 25 teams and lose to the number 1 team in the nation in the span of 8 days. It sucked to get blown out in Columbus, but it wasn't all that bad of a week really.

ECKrueger
02-01-2011, 08:46 PM
This play sure as hell isn't going to lead to a 'W'

ECKrueger
02-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Those first half turnovers killed us tonight.

Kegboy
02-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Eh, the turnovers evened out. Hate to see when the referees are more affected by homecourt advantage than the opposing team, though.

That all said, this loss doesn't matter much to me, everybody loses in Madison. What does matter to me is, this could very well end up being a crucial game in DJ Bird's development as a real, complete player. I've never seen him come close to have this much of an impact in all facets of the game.

ECKrueger
02-01-2011, 11:31 PM
Refs definitely seemed biased, but I didn't want to blame that. Byrd looked pretty good, and I think he will better next year, when Robbie is back and playing the 4 allowing Dj to play the 3.

Dab
02-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Happy Birthday JaJuan! Hope it's a great one!

ECKrueger
02-08-2011, 10:31 PM
a big W helped :)

Heisenberg
02-09-2011, 03:52 AM
Bade's always been incredibly slow and unathletic, but man, he couldn't jump over a phonebook last night. He's had some solid games but he's looking more and more like a transfer candidate. Not sure why Carroll didn't get any burn, he's going to need some minutes to prepare himself for the role he'll probably need to play next year.

ECKrueger
02-09-2011, 08:02 PM
I just don't get what Bade does that Carroll can't, in addition to making more mistakes than Travis.

Dab
02-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Tough game today. Illinois has slipped enough where they've got to get some good wins to pad their NCAA resume, and the road is never friendly in the Big Ten.

Dab
02-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Well, this is a familiar story for Purdue on the road in the Big Ten. The Boilers fall 7 - 10 points behind at halftime and come out in the 2nd half with a good run to take the lead. Hopefully they can change the ending this time.

Dab
02-13-2011, 03:54 PM
NBA drive-n-slam by Johnson

Dab
02-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Dagger by E'Twuan

Dab
02-13-2011, 04:15 PM
Nice road win going into a big, big week.

ECKrueger
02-13-2011, 09:02 PM
NBA drive-n-slam by Johnson

That was sick. Wish we could just put together an entire game, nice win though.

Dab
02-15-2011, 10:00 AM
Kendall Stephens commits to the class of 2013, joining Fort Wayne's Bryson Scott in that class.

Kendall, 6'4" with a reported wingspan of 6'9", is the son of former Purdue standout Everette Stephens and is the #2 ranked prospect in the Chicago area according to The Hoops Report.

ECKrueger
02-15-2011, 03:57 PM
A few Stephens highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPxPY7tCWy8

Heisenberg
02-15-2011, 11:47 PM
Painter's also apparently going after AJ Hammons as well. The guy seems really talented, but I just don't know, doesn't seem to "fit the mold" in terms of work ethic and just general personality.

Stephens though seems perfect and not just because of his dad.

Dab
02-15-2011, 11:51 PM
I don't know about Hammons. 7 foot and 250 pounds sure sounds nice, especially with JJ leaving, but I don't think we currently have a schollie open for him anyway, do we?

ECKrueger
02-16-2011, 12:44 AM
I think we either have 1 for the 2012 class and 3 for the 2013 or 4 for 2013

Dab
02-16-2011, 01:23 AM
According to the almost semi-official Purdue Basketball Recruiting Scholarship Chart, we don't have any open scholarships for 11-12 or 12-13 seasons.

http://oldgoldfreepress.com/hoopsrecruiting/mscholar.shtml

ECKrueger
02-16-2011, 07:56 AM
I think you are right, maybe I interpreted it wrong.

Dab
02-16-2011, 12:43 PM
During Coach Painter's first three seasons, there was always one or two guys who left after the year, opening up some spots, but now it seems like everybody wants to stay.

ECKrueger
02-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Wow we just picked up Basil Smotherman Jr. from the 2013 class.

http://purdue.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1189421

cdash
02-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Basil Smotherman committed to the Boilers today. That's a nice get, I really like him. Lefties always are fun. The in-state rivalry is really going to pick up in the future. A lot of in-state guys staying with Indiana and Purdue. That's a really great thing if you ask me.

ECKrueger
02-16-2011, 12:49 PM
I agree, I like the IN talent in IN, even if some of it is at iu.

Dab
02-16-2011, 01:11 PM
The in-state rivalry is really going to pick up in the future. A lot of in-state guys staying with Indiana and Purdue. That's a really great thing if you ask me.

I agree. A few years ago, before North Carolina faltered (a bit) all eyes in the country were on the Duke-North Carolina games. I'd like to see that with IU-Purdue.

Dab
02-16-2011, 01:34 PM
With only one scholarship left in the class of 2013, who will be the next recruit to verbal?

Beachem? Foster? Jabari Parker? (That's wishful thinking on the last, I'm sure, but some recruiting sites still have showing Purdue on his list.)

cdash
02-16-2011, 01:48 PM
For whatever it's worth, my favorite guy in your 2013 class is Bryson Scott. That guy is going to be a really good player for you guys. I don't know the first thing about the Stephens guy, but Scott and Basil are really good gets.

ECKrueger
02-16-2011, 02:01 PM
Beachem only has an offer from us, so maybe he feels the pressure to commit next with only one spot left?

Dab
02-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Zak Irvin (Hamilton SE) is in that class as well.

ECKrueger
02-16-2011, 02:21 PM
I love this line about Scott from ESPN:

Bryson is a good, solid player but doesn't have a ton of upside because of his size (or lack of). But he has a never ending motor and will be a great fit for the Boilermakers and what they do. Purdue fans will love him.

Of course it would be nice if he also had upside, but sounds like one of those fan favorites.

Dab
02-16-2011, 02:38 PM
Ricky Hall didn't have a whole lot of size either, but he had a never ending motor too, and somehow ended up being my favorite Boilermaker.

Mackey_Rose
02-16-2011, 03:17 PM
I'm glad we got a recruit with a ridiculous name, I hope he can play.

Tonight's game is huge. Wisconsin is one of the best teams in the country, in my opinion.

Trader Joe
02-16-2011, 03:28 PM
Basil was always going to be a Purdue get, Stephens commitment just accelerated the process. Very solid recruiting week for you guys.

Dab
02-16-2011, 09:20 PM
OK, time to see how much they worked in practice on inbounding the ball against pressure.

Kegboy
02-16-2011, 09:57 PM
I don't know what the **** was with those two fouls on Jackson. Thought I was watching NBA refs there for a second.

Bring on the Buckeyes.

ECKrueger
02-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Well, at least the Boilers played well tonight.

Foul on Smits
02-17-2011, 12:53 AM
ESPN needs to cut the **** and give JaJuan Johnson POTY consideration. What's he need to do? Drop 40 on OSU?

ECKrueger
02-17-2011, 01:28 AM
ESPN needs to cut the **** and give JaJuan Johnson POTY consideration. What's he need to do? Drop 40 on OSU?

Yes, probably.

Trader Joe
02-17-2011, 11:03 AM
The fact is for as good as JJ has been for you, Sullinger has been better for OSU. And seeing as OSU is probably a 1 seed in the tourney barring a complete collapse, if a big man from the Big Ten is going to get POTY consideration it will be him.

Although, IMHO, the POTY is Fredette's to lose.

Foul on Smits
02-18-2011, 03:49 AM
The fact is for as good as JJ has been for you, Sullinger has been better for OSU. And seeing as OSU is probably a 1 seed in the tourney barring a complete collapse, if a big man from the Big Ten is going to get POTY consideration it will be him.

Although, IMHO, the POTY is Fredette's to lose.

Sullinger has been better? I'd love to hear more details on this? JJ puts up more points and blocks. Sullinger has a few more boards and a better FG%. Sullinger plays on a slightly better team. He plays with a better pg in Craft. Perhaps the best outside threat in the league in Diebler and one of the better SF's in the conference in Lighty. Diebler, Lighty and Buford give Sullinger almost 40 points a game in support.

If you take JJ off of Purdue, they're a bubble team right now. You take Sullinger off OSU and they're still contending for a Big 10 title.

I dont think Sullinger is the best player in his conference.

Trader Joe
02-18-2011, 09:46 AM
Sullinger has been better? I'd love to hear more details on this? JJ puts up more points and blocks. Sullinger has a few more boards and a better FG%. Sullinger plays on a slightly better team. He plays with a better pg in Craft. Perhaps the best outside threat in the league in Diebler and one of the better SF's in the conference in Lighty. Diebler, Lighty and Buford give Sullinger almost 40 points a game in support.

If you take JJ off of Purdue, they're a bubble team right now. You take Sullinger off OSU and they're still contending for a Big 10 title.

I dont think Sullinger is the best player in his conference.

Really?

Diebler is about as one trick pony as they come.

Craft is better than Lewis Jackson? I mean if you want to make that claim it's up to you, but I completely disagree. Craft will be a solid player, but he's a freshman, and really just a stop gap. Buford and Lighty are great players, but let's not act like JJ doesn't have E'twaun.

Let's look at some of Sullinger's numbers...

26 and 10 in his second college game @Florida.
40 and 13 in his 7th college game vsIUPUI (Ohio State probably loses this game without that effort)
30 and 19 vs. South Carolina
24 and 12 @Iowa
27 and 16 @Illinois
Ohio State loses both the Iowa and Illinois games without Sullinger.

It's not like I'm saying JJ sucks, Sullinger has just been better. 56% from the floor is really, really strong, and he averages a double double, something JJ doesn't do.

And as far as Ohio State definitely being a Big 10 contender without Sullinger, but Purdue being a bubble team without JJ, I'm not sure what to take from that other than I disagree on both counts I think. Otherwise, I'd think you guys would be battening down the that hatches for a very rough year next year.

JJ's a great player, but Sullinger has been ridiculous all season long. Huge numbers and has absolutely given that Ohio State team a legit inside presence. Something they would not even come close to having without him.

Dab
02-18-2011, 03:54 PM
I have to go with Joe here, but I do think that if Purdue beats Ohio State Sunday, JJ has a shot at Big 10 PTOY (particularly if he outplays Sullinger in that game.) I can actually see JJ winning Big 10 PTOY and Sullinger winning national POTY.

ECKrueger
02-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Pretty close, but I would take JJ's 50% FG over JS's 56% any day.

Trader Joe
02-18-2011, 11:27 PM
Pretty close, but I would take JJ's 50% FG over JS's 56% any day.

:laugh:

Foul on Smits
02-19-2011, 01:53 AM
Really?

Diebler is about as one trick pony as they come.

Craft is better than Lewis Jackson? I mean if you want to make that claim it's up to you, but I completely disagree. Craft will be a solid player, but he's a freshman, and really just a stop gap. Buford and Lighty are great players, but let's not act like JJ doesn't have E'twaun.

Let's look at some of Sullinger's numbers...

26 and 10 in his second college game @Florida.
40 and 13 in his 7th college game vsIUPUI (Ohio State probably loses this game without that effort)
30 and 19 vs. South Carolina
24 and 12 @Iowa
27 and 16 @Illinois
Ohio State loses both the Iowa and Illinois games without Sullinger.

It's not like I'm saying JJ sucks, Sullinger has just been better. 56% from the floor is really, really strong, and he averages a double double, something JJ doesn't do.

And as far as Ohio State definitely being a Big 10 contender without Sullinger, but Purdue being a bubble team without JJ, I'm not sure what to take from that other than I disagree on both counts I think. Otherwise, I'd think you guys would be battening down the that hatches for a very rough year next year.

JJ's a great player, but Sullinger has been ridiculous all season long. Huge numbers and has absolutely given that Ohio State team a legit inside presence. Something they would not even come close to having without him.

I'm a huge Purdue fan and i like Lewis Jackson alot, but anyone who's watched OSU play more then a couple of games this year, knows Craft is better then Lewis Jackson. Better in just about every aspect of the game accept for maybe speed, but Craft is no slouch when it comes to speed either. He's not just a freshman and a stop gap. Not even sure what you're talking about there. Watch him play some time. He's pretty damn good. Obvioulsy he's no Kalin Lucas, but from pure PG stand point, he's pretty damn good.

ECKrueger
02-19-2011, 02:00 AM
:laugh:

I'm just saying, JJ hitting 50% is more impressive to me given the shots he takes. Not saying he is necessarily better because of that.

...and I would take LewJack at this point.

Foul on Smits
02-19-2011, 04:24 AM
The last 5 or 6 games, Jackson for sure, but if we're talking about the entire season, Craft has been the better.

Foul on Smits
02-20-2011, 01:12 AM
with all these top 10 teams losing, Purdue might be in position for a top seed if they win out and win the Big 10 tournament.

Oh wait, we dont have Robbie Hummel so they wont let us have that high of a seed. :(

ECKrueger
02-20-2011, 01:59 AM
I don't see us winning out anyway. We likely would have to beat osu twice, which would be tough.

Foul on Smits
02-20-2011, 02:35 AM
It would be two home games basically.

Trader Joe
02-20-2011, 03:22 AM
It would be two home games basically.

If Purdue fans traveled...

Foul on Smits
02-20-2011, 04:04 AM
ok?

ECKrueger
02-20-2011, 01:33 PM
If Purdue fans traveled...

I think a lot more people would show up for a B10 tourney game than an ISU game. Either way, it would be tough to beat osu twice even if both games were in Mackey.

Trader Joe
02-20-2011, 02:09 PM
I think a lot more people would show up for a B10 tourney game than an ISU game. Either way, it would be tough to beat osu twice even if both games were in Mackey.

Agreed.

Dab
02-20-2011, 02:15 PM
That was an intense four minutes

Dab
02-20-2011, 02:25 PM
Really like how Painter is using the bench.

Dab
02-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Did he just say West Lafayette Pennsylvania?

Dab
02-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Sullinger is a beast

Dab
02-20-2011, 02:41 PM
2 fouls on Sullinger

Dab
02-20-2011, 02:50 PM
I like how the Boilers are playing, but with Sullinger out I'd sure like to see them go inside more rather than settling for outside shots.

Dab
02-20-2011, 03:10 PM
It's great that E'Twuan is going off, but Purdue needs to get more people involved in the offense in the 2nd half.

Dab
02-20-2011, 03:30 PM
4 fouls on Lauderdale. 8 point lead for Purdue, but we can't let up.

Dab
02-20-2011, 03:34 PM
3 fouls on Sullinger.

Dab
02-20-2011, 03:38 PM
not really sure about the over and back call on OSU.

Dab
02-20-2011, 03:49 PM
E'Twuan is nails today.

Dab
02-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Speaking of which, I've run out of fingernails. Thank God I'm not limber enough to get at my toenails.

Dab
02-20-2011, 04:04 PM
Lewjack!

Dab
02-20-2011, 04:06 PM
That Craft is scary. He's like a faster Chris Kramer with better basketball skills.

This one's in the bank, well done Boilers!

Great game to set your career high E'Twuan!

Mackey_Rose
02-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Huge win!

pacer4ever
02-20-2011, 04:07 PM
Had tickets should have went

Mackey_Rose
02-20-2011, 04:10 PM
You guys remember when IU rushed the court after beating Illinois? Suckers.

Mackey_Rose
02-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Had tickets should have went

Way to waste them dumb ***.

Mackey_Rose
02-20-2011, 04:15 PM
When Moore plays like that, we are going to be nearly impossible to beat.

Dab
02-20-2011, 04:23 PM
I think Sullinger wrapped up Big Ten POTY honors.

Dab
02-20-2011, 04:28 PM
You guys remember when IU rushed the court after beating Illinois? Suckers.

I was very happy the Purdue fans didn't rush the court.

That being said, I didn't really have a problem with the IU kids rushing the court after beating Illinois. One area where Crean has excelled is restoring the passion of the fans, and that was a direct result. I doubt if they'll rush the court again any time soon (and I certainly hope they don't have reason to next week.)

ECKrueger
02-20-2011, 05:18 PM
Awesome game, Moore was amazing!

pacer4ever
02-20-2011, 06:10 PM
Way to waste them dumb ***.

I get tickets to every game my uncle is the Sheriff up there. I would have went if i relized sooner I didnt have school 2mrw.

Trader Joe
02-20-2011, 06:22 PM
So Moore was amazing. But the Sullinger vs. JJ debate is dead and buried.

ECKrueger
02-20-2011, 08:08 PM
I get tickets to every game my uncle is the Sheriff up there. I would have went if i relized sooner I didnt have school 2mrw.

It was a 1 pm game, but I think the point was give them away if you are not going.

ECKrueger
02-20-2011, 08:10 PM
So Moore was amazing. But the Sullinger vs. JJ debate is dead and buried.

In all reality, yes. I don't think it proved much though. JJ didn't do a lot, but when someone scores 38, no one else is likely going to put up a ton of points. JS definitely is going to win it over JJ.

Dab
02-20-2011, 08:25 PM
IMHO, it's not really a question of what JJ did or did not do today, it's more that E'Twuan's explosion cemented his status as a legitimate All American candidate. Even though the award is Player of the Year many in the media view it from the perspective of Most Valuable Player and you look at what Sullinger has around him, and what JJ has around him, and there's just nobody on Ohio State's team that compares to E'Twuan. Ohio State has some very good players, to be sure, but they're mostly one-dimensional (with the exception of Buford) hence, Sullinger is "more valuable" to his team.

I love JJ, but Sullinger is just more dominant. Purdue could not stop him in the 1st half, and started triple-teaming him in the 2nd, which proved effective.

Also, I have a feeling that all of us (OSU fans excepted) are going to find Craft to be a major pain in the butt for the next few years.

ECKrueger
02-20-2011, 09:08 PM
**** craft.

Dab
02-20-2011, 09:40 PM
Any chance Ohio State will be #1 tomorrow in the polls? They really should be, in my opinion - their only two losses are to Top Ten (more or less) teams who are a combined 29-0 on their home courts.

But on the other hand, they've lost two of three, so it will probably be Duke. :puke:

ECKrueger
02-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Duke will be.

Trader Joe
02-21-2011, 12:39 AM
In all reality, yes. I don't think it proved much though. JJ didn't do a lot, but when someone scores 38, no one else is likely going to put up a ton of points. JS definitely is going to win it over JJ.

Yeah but JJ was 4/10, JS was ridiculously efficient again. I just don't see Ohio State in the national championship game. Who is their perimeter guy that takes over? I don't see one. Purdue has a better chance of Moore being that go to guy.

Foul on Smits
02-21-2011, 12:48 AM
Craft was all over the friggin place today.

ECKrueger
02-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Yeah but JJ was 4/10, JS was ridiculously efficient again. I just don't see Ohio State in the national championship game. Who is their perimeter guy that takes over? I don't see one. Purdue has a better chance of Moore being that go to guy.

I agree with that.

pacer4ever
02-21-2011, 03:26 PM
#8 in the AP

Mackey_Rose
02-21-2011, 04:31 PM
at IU on Feb. 23
at Michigan State on Feb. 26
Illinois on Mar. 1
at Iowa on Mar. 5

If we can run the table during the regular season, and then find a way to win the Big Ten Tourney, we are definitely looking at a possible 1 seed.

I think we can lose 1 regular season game, and get beat by Ohio State or Wisconsin in the Tournament Championship game and still get a 2 or 3 seed at the lowest.

Heisenberg
02-21-2011, 07:54 PM
Pretty damn funny stuff right here (http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/tom-crean-matt-painter.jpg)

ECKrueger
02-21-2011, 10:57 PM
Pretty damn funny stuff right here (http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/tom-crean-matt-painter.jpg)

haha, I just saw that too :laugh:

Heisenberg
02-21-2011, 11:11 PM
haha, I just saw that too :laugh:
The "True. Smotherman's a good get." cracked me up. That and Bruce Weber and the Illini.

ECKrueger
02-23-2011, 11:29 PM
Free. Throws. Come on!

ECKrueger
02-23-2011, 11:41 PM
Boiler Up! iu sucks!! Big win for us.

pacer4ever
02-23-2011, 11:58 PM
Boiler Up! iu sucks!! Big win for us.

Its IU they are terrible this year not a big win(vs OSU big win). However it would have been a huge loss.

Kegboy
02-24-2011, 12:05 AM
Free. Throws. Come on!

No ****. Pretty crazy when your center is 6-6 from the stripe but your guards are 8-18. I know it's a letdown game, but that can really bite us in the *** come tournament time.

ECKrueger
02-24-2011, 01:41 AM
Its IU they are terrible this year not a big win(vs OSU big win). However it would have been a huge loss.

Well you obviously aren't that big of a PU/iu fan. Every game in this series is a big game, and it was obvious watching it.

No ****. Pretty crazy when your center is 6-6 from the stripe but your guards are 8-18. I know it's a letdown game, but that can really bite us in the *** come tournament time.

We would have killed them if we hit free throws.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 01:43 AM
Well you obviously aren't that big of a PU/iu fan. Every game in this series is a big game, and it was obvious watching it.

Im a Purdue fan most of my fmily went there and most still live up there. But im not as big as most. I get to a few games a year.

ECKrueger
02-24-2011, 01:47 AM
Trust me, any time Purdue and iu play, it is a big game. Maybe not to the standings or post-season resumes, but to us, it is always a big game. You never want to lose this game.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 01:49 AM
Trust me, any time Purdue and iu play, it is a big game. Maybe not to the standings or post-season resumes, but to us, it is always a big game. You never want to lose this game.

Obviously thats why I said it wasnt a big win because we are so much better but it would have BEEN A HUGE LOSS.

Dab
02-24-2011, 02:28 AM
E'Twuan's just been on another level these last few games. Right now he's on the makes his teammates better plane. Hope it keeps up.

cdash
02-24-2011, 02:31 AM
Just because I'm a bitter IU fan who has had nothing to cheer about in the last 3 years: What if, Purdue fans...what if Martin hadn't transferred and Hummel's knee hadn't given out again?

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 02:33 AM
Just because I'm a bitter IU fan who has had nothing to cheer about in the last 3 years: What if, Purdue fans...what if Martin hadn't transferred and Hummel's knee hadn't given out again?

Would be a final 4 team with a shot at a championship. If they played well in march

Trader Joe
02-24-2011, 02:37 AM

Might as well ask what if Kelvin Sampson doesn't get caught?

cdash
02-24-2011, 02:39 AM
Would be a final 4 team with a shot at a championship. If they played well in march

Here's the ***** of it (respect that this is excruciating for me to admit): Purdue is already a Final Four caliber team.

ECKrueger
02-24-2011, 03:25 AM
I would argue every win against iu is a big win. There's no telling what woils have happened if we had Hummel. It will however be nice to have him next year but I feel terrible for him. It must be really tough watching the games this season.

Mackey_Rose
02-24-2011, 09:38 AM

Martin is a piece of ****. We got better (tougher) when he left.

If Hummel was healthy we would have very easily been a Final Four team last year. If he was healthy this year, we would be a top 3 team all season.

Like you said though, Purdue can easily be a Final Four team again next month. I don't think there are any real great teams this year. Purdue is one of many teams in the country that have a solid chance at making a run once the tournament comes around. Do I think we are one of the best 4 teams in the nation? Probably not. Do I think we have as good of a chance to get hot and win it all as anybody else? Absolutely.

Nobody has a top 2 better than us.

Kegboy
02-24-2011, 01:06 PM

Martin's a pansy who couldn't handle getting outplayed by his "inferior" HS teammate and ran north to hide under his girlfriend's skirt. He simply wasn't mentally tough enough to be a Boilermaker.

If Hummel hadn't gotten hurt this time, we'd be well on our way to a title. If he hadn't gotten hurt last year, we would have beaten Duke but I could easily see us getting upset by Butler. Then Johnson would have gone pro and we'd be significantly worse this year, regardless of if Hummel were healthy or not.

[edit] Or, what Mack said.

Since86
02-24-2011, 02:35 PM
Might as well ask what if Kelvin Sampson doesn't get caught?

No, IU got what they deserved when the hired a cheater. You can't predict that someone is going to have their knee's give out, twice.

ECKrueger
02-24-2011, 08:22 PM
I honestly didn't think much of Martin either.

Dab
02-25-2011, 11:26 AM
I've never understood the hate for Scott Martin. It's like he has personally offended people.

If the kid wasn't happy, for whatever reason, then he should move on. I don't hold it against him, the same as I wouldn't want people to hold it against me when I transferred from Purdue to IU. Of course nobody cared about me (well, maybe the IU people weren't thrilled about it, but they held their collective tongue.)

I wish him all the success in his future endeavors, unless Notre Dame is playing Purdue.

Trader Joe
02-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Martin's a pansy who couldn't handle getting outplayed by his "inferior" HS teammate and ran north to hide under his girlfriend's skirt. He simply wasn't mentally tough enough to be a Boilermaker.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, I don't understand the Martin hate either. If he's such a useless player why are you guys so upset with him? And why is he contributing a lot to the best team Notre Dame has had in years?

Kegboy
02-25-2011, 02:51 PM

Yeah, I don't understand the Martin hate either. If he's such a useless player why are you guys so upset with him? And why is he contributing a lot to the best team Notre Dame has had in years?

I never said he was useless. He's talented and contributing to a very good team. But he left saying it was because he missed his girlfriend, and transferred to a school where he was 2 hours away from her instead of 3. That's weak.

He made a commitment to not only the school, but his 3 friends and AAU teammates, and then he ran away after a year when he wasn't the BMOC everyone expected him to be. That speaks volumes about his character. Sure, he's a kid, I can understand. But when I look back at what his teammates have gone through and accomplished over the last 3 years, I clearly see him as lacking in comparison.

Heisenberg
02-26-2011, 07:07 AM
Scott Martin made a decision as a 17 year old that was apparently the wrong one. He left, is apparently happy where he is now, Purdue is 8th in the country and as poised to make a Final Four run as just about anyone. Let bygones be bygones, it's frankly petty and lacking in proper priorities to crucify the decision of a minor.

ECKrueger
02-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Good first half so far.

Dab
02-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Purdue frittered away a bit of the lead there when they could have put a hammerlock on it. I guess I'm getting spoiled, but with the losses in the Top 10 this week ahead of them, a dominant performance today will edge them up close to the top five.

Monster first half by JJ.

Mackey_Rose
02-27-2011, 04:14 PM
He probably won't win, but that was a Big Ten POTY type of performance by JJ.

I don't think moving into the top 5 and some actual national consideration for a 1 seed is out of the question after that beat down of a Michigan State team that had actually been playing well recently.

Dab
02-27-2011, 07:24 PM
He probably won't win, but that was a Big Ten POTY type of performance by JJ.

I don't think moving into the top 5 and some actual national consideration for a 1 seed is out of the question after that beat down of a Michigan State team that had actually been playing well recently.

Agree on both counts. It's probably too late to count, but Sullinger had a meh day against Indiana today, 5 points and didn't play very much.

If Purdue wins their last two regular season games and can win the BTT, there's no reason why wouldn't be in the mix for a number 1 seed.

Kegboy
02-27-2011, 08:57 PM
Well, Pitt lost, so I expect to be 5th tomorrow. If we can win the conference tourney, I would think that would merit a 1 seed, especially if we do it beating Wisconsin and Ohio State back-to-back. That's certainly not going to be easy, though.

ECKrueger
02-27-2011, 09:26 PM
It will be nice to be top 5 again, assuming we are.

Mackey_Rose
02-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Looks like we moved up to 6th in both polls.

1. Ohio State
2. Kansas
3. BYU
4. Duke
5. Pittsburgh
6. Purdue

Kegboy
02-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Yeah, I figured I'd jinx us, but I thought it would be Texas staying ahead of us, not Pitt moving up even though they lost.

ECKrueger
03-01-2011, 02:19 AM
It would be huge in my opinion to finish the year around where we started after all the team has gone through. We were about 3 really early on right?

Mackey_Rose
03-01-2011, 11:05 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_glockner/02/28/bubble.watch/1.html

Ohio State continues to look good for a No. 1 seed in the NCAAs. Can Purdue find its way to the 2-seed line? It's not unthinkable. What will happen after these top three is still very up in the air.

I guess dreaming of a 1 seed is unreasonable. I don't think it should be, but apparently we aren't as solidly in a 2 slot as I expected either.

Dab
03-01-2011, 11:12 AM
I will be happy if we just don't lose any more games this year.

Mackey_Rose
03-01-2011, 11:59 AM
I will be happy if we just don't lose any more games this year.

Yeah, I'd be fine with that as well.

If BYU gets a 1 seed, as everybody seems to be jumping on that bandwagon now, I sure hope we get to be in their bracket.

dal9
03-01-2011, 05:17 PM

such a martin scoreline last night...

28 MIN, 5 PTS, 2-5 FG, 0-0 FT, 0 REB, 1 AST, 1 TO, 0 ST, O BK

seriously, you gotta try to not get any rebounds at 6'8" in 28 mins

ECKrueger
03-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Tonight is the last time Moore and Johnson will be playing in Mackey :(

Trader Joe
03-01-2011, 05:42 PM
such a martin scoreline last night...

28 MIN, 5 PTS, 2-5 FG, 0-0 FT, 0 REB, 1 AST, 1 TO, 0 ST, O BK

seriously, you gotta try to not get any rebounds at 6'8" in 28 mins

Yeah, you guys really need to let it go...what did he do to you?

It'd be interesting if Purdue and ND ended up in the same bracket... (Although, I think mock turtleneck is a terrible coach)

Trader Joe
03-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Tonight is the last time Moore and Johnson will be playing in Mackey :(

W00T ;)

Dab
03-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Yow, I would like to have had a nice lead at halftime, but I'm just happy to be tied. Illinois doesn't seem to care to that it's our senior night.

The defense could use some tightening up.

Dab
03-01-2011, 09:56 PM
That 3 by E'Twuan is a backbreaker for the Illini.

Dab
03-01-2011, 10:02 PM
I'm getting all verklempt!

Dab
03-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Wow, BYU's starting forward has been dismissed from the team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6172760

Kegboy
03-01-2011, 11:11 PM
Wow, BYU's starting forward has been dismissed from the team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6172760

Yeah, there goes their shot at a one seed.

Dab
03-02-2011, 10:37 AM
No help from Penn State. That's about it then, as far as a share of the regular season Big Ten title goes. I'm sure Wisconsin will play well, but I don't see Ohio State losing their final game at home.

Another in a string of average performances for Sullinger though. I'm starting to believe JJ has a shot at conference POTY.

Kegboy
03-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Yeah, I can't imagine Wisconsin beating them again, in Columbus no less.

Mackey_Rose
03-02-2011, 11:13 AM
If we take care of business at Iowa this weekend, we will have won 8 Big Ten games in a row.

I don't care who you are, that's impressive.

Go Badgers!!

Mackey_Rose
03-02-2011, 11:20 AM
By the way, Tom Crean has won 8 Big Ten games.

Total.

Since86
03-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Yeah, you guys really need to let it go...what did he do to you?

Turning his back on a program? He cost them a roster spot, not only for the one year rental, but his scholarship was either left vacant or given to a fill in player for the next year. It's highly unlikely they were able to fill that position with a player that was high on their list.

I don't fault him for leaving, but I also can't fault people to be upset that he turned his back on his agreement considering he hurt the program in more than one way.

It's better that he left though, to be honest. He doesn't fit the mold that Purdue demands.

Dab
03-02-2011, 12:29 PM
I don't buy it. Where's the venom for Jonathan Uchendu and Dan Vanderverien? Where's the hate for Melvin Buckley and Ije Nwanko?

Do we despise Carson Cunningham for turning his back on Oregon State? Doug Lee for leaving Texas A&M? Both had fine careers after transferring to Purdue, yet they turned their backs on their previous programs despite the agreements they had made.

No, there's something special about Scott Martin. In my opinion, people think Scott Martin cheated them out of something that never really existed, and that something is Matt Howard in a Purdue uniform. And if we go that route, then the guy who we should really be p*ssed off at is Nate Minnoy, the guy who waited until the fall semester after Hummell, Moore, Martin committed before deciding he wanted to transfer.

Kegboy
03-02-2011, 12:41 PM
By the way, Tom Crean has won 8 Big Ten games.

Total.

:spit:

Kegboy
03-02-2011, 12:46 PM
I don't buy it. Where's the venom for Jonathan Uchendu and Dan Vanderverien? Where's the hate for Melvin Buckley and Ije Nwanko?

Do we despise Carson Cunningham for turning his back on Oregon State? Doug Lee for leaving Texas A&M? Both had fine careers after transferring to Purdue, yet they turned their backs on their previous programs despite the agreements they had made.

None of them left for a rival an hour away. Granted, a rival that's scared to play us, but a rival nontheless.

No, there's something special about Scott Martin. In my opinion, people think Scott Martin cheated them out of something that never really existed, and that something is Matt Howard in a Purdue uniform. And if we go that route, then the guy who we should really be p*ssed off at is Nate Minnoy, the guy who waited until the fall semester after Hummell, Moore, Martin committed before deciding he wanted to transfer.

I didn't know Howard had anything to do with us. :shrug:

Mackey_Rose
03-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Know who else we might have gotten had Martin never stepped foot on campus?

Gordon Hayward.

pacer4ever
03-02-2011, 01:16 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7PWEbiLzwuU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Since86
03-02-2011, 01:32 PM

Why in the world would you expect to see venom here, on this board, for those players considering we don't ever discuss them nor have an interest in how those programs go?

Martin means something to people here, because they root for the team he left, and against the team he went too. That difference right there is HUGE.

What Scott Martin faces with PU fans is nothing compared to what Eric Gordon faced when he made his trip to Illinois.

When a player, who you think is going to be an impact player, leaves your program, it's going to **** people off. Period. It's folly to think otherwise.

You don't have to agree with it to accept it.

Trader Joe
03-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Yeah, but you can let it go.

Should I be pissed at Devin Ebanks? Terrelle Holloway? Both guys had signed scholarships to come to IU.

Since86
03-02-2011, 05:26 PM

Should I be pissed at Devin Ebanks? Terrelle Holloway? Both guys had signed scholarships to come to IU.

If you want. I don't make a habit out of telling people what feelings that they should, or shouldn't have.

That's my point.

ECKrueger
03-02-2011, 07:09 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7PWEbiLzwuU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Watched this a couple days ago, pretty sweet!

Dab
03-03-2011, 12:49 AM
And just like that, BYU goes down

Trader Joe
03-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Yeah, I hope they have fun getting any quality recruits to go there ever again.

BRushWithDeath
03-03-2011, 10:12 AM

Those guys left because the cheating coach they signed on with was caught and removed.

Scott Martin left because his ego couldn't handle Robbie Hummel being better than him.

Apples to oranges.

An IU example who could be considered similar with the Martin situation is Larry Bird. And he wasn't exactly loved by the IU faithful.

BRushWithDeath
03-03-2011, 10:22 AM

Davies, like all BYU players, knew what he was getting into when agreed to go to the school. He knew he was breaking a serious school rule when he was banging his girlfriend. The fact that I and most think it is a moronic rule doesn't matter. If he wanted to go to a school were he was free to plow through chicks, and who could blame him, he shouldn't have ever gone there. Or he should have at least wrapped it up so he didn't get caught.

Trader Joe
03-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Yeah, I bet he's the only BYU athlete nailing his girlfriend.

It's a "rule" that I'm sure they never assumed would actually be enforced.

Kegboy
03-03-2011, 10:49 AM

Forget athlete, the honor code applies to every student, and I would bet the staff too. I can't wrap my head around the idea of a college campus with no drinking and no sex.

Still, I'm glad they didn't toss him for having a cup of coffee.

Trader Joe
03-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Forget athlete, the honor code applies to every student, and I would bet the staff too. I can't wrap my head around the idea of a college campus with no drinking and no sex.

I think they call that place "Hell"

Mackey_Rose
03-03-2011, 11:13 AM

The only reason I went to college was for the drinking and the sex.

BYU...where dreams go to die.

Dab
03-03-2011, 11:25 AM

Now that's a commitment!

Mackey_Rose
03-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Anybody else plannimg on going to the Big Ten tournament?

Trader Joe
03-03-2011, 12:40 PM
I was thinking about it, but it seems like I do that every year.

pacer4ever
03-03-2011, 01:07 PM

ya

BRushWithDeath
03-03-2011, 01:19 PM

I'm sure he's not the only one on the getting after it. What self respecting male wouldn't? But he's the only one who's broad got knocked up.

They sign that code. They know the consequences. Sure it is stupid but they do know what will happen.

pacer4ever
03-03-2011, 01:24 PM
I'm sure he's not the only one on the getting after it. What self respecting male wouldn't? But he's the only one who's broad got knocked up.

They sign that code. They know the consequences. Sure it is stupid but they do know what will happen.

Has it been confirmed she got pregnet? Last night all they said was he had sex with his GF. That is so stupid. What if he knocked up some random one night stand girl? no one would know that way. this rule is just dumb.

Trader Joe
03-03-2011, 03:37 PM

Have they ever done it to an athlete before? I'd be curious to find out. Probably doesn't help him that this is a mormon school/Utah, and he is a black athlete either.

Kegboy
03-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Have they ever done it to an athlete before? I'd be curious to find out. Probably doesn't help him that this is a mormon school/Utah, and he is a black athlete either.

They just kicked a kid off the football team this fall.

Trader Joe
03-03-2011, 04:09 PM
They just kicked a kid off the football team this fall.

Why do people still go there?

pacer4ever
03-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Why do people still go there?

Because they are Mormon. You have to meet with the arch bishop when requesting admision and he goes over the rules. This rule applies to all students not just athletcs. He most likely is gonna get kicked out of the school and wont be able to come back next year for his junior season.

http://saas.byu.edu/catalog/2010-2011ucat/GeneralInfo/HonorCode.php#HCOfficeInvovement

Conduct
All students and residents are required to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with the Honor Code. In addition, students may not influence or seek to influence others to engage in behavior inconsistent with the Honor Code.

Students must abstain from the use of alcohol, tobacco, and illegal substances and from the intentional misuse or abuse of any substance. Sexual misconduct; obscene or indecent conduct or expressions; disorderly or disruptive conduct; participation in gambling activities; involvement with pornographic, erotic, indecent, or offensive material; and any other conduct or action inconsistent with the principles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the Honor Code is not permitted.

Violations of the Honor Code may result in actions up to and including separation from the university.

Foul on Smits
03-05-2011, 02:30 AM

I got tickets to the Saturday and Sunday session. Work thursday and friday.

Dab
03-05-2011, 02:56 AM
How did Jim McMahon last four years at BYU?

EDIT: Check that - five years. He took a medical redshirt one year.

cdash
03-05-2011, 03:16 AM
The only reason I went to college was for the drinking and the sex.

...so you went to Purdue? :laugh:

In all seriousness, he's my question: How the **** did this kid get caught? Did his roommate snitch on him? Did he have a guilty conscience and admit it to the administration? Did he get caught in the act?

Foul on Smits
03-05-2011, 06:19 AM

he won football games. duh

Dab
03-05-2011, 11:34 AM
...so you went to Purdue? :laugh:

In all seriousness, he's my question: How the **** did this kid get caught? Did his roommate snitch on him? Did he have a guilty conscience and admit it to the administration? Did he get caught in the act?

I've heard that his girlfriend is pregnant, but I've also heard that it was a girl other than his girlfriend who is pregnant, in which case maybe his girlfriend spilled the beans.

grace
03-05-2011, 12:26 PM

They waited until his eligibility was up and then they threw him out of school. Pretty sure whoever was in charge back then isn't in charge now.

Dab
03-05-2011, 12:38 PM
There's a lot more money in football than in basketball

Mackey_Rose
03-05-2011, 02:15 PM
If Purdue beats Iowa today does it lock them into a 2 seed, regardless of what happens in the tournament?

BRushWithDeath
03-05-2011, 02:26 PM
If Purdue beats Iowa today does it lock them into a 2 seed, regardless of what happens in the tournament?

Likely. I think there is still a shot at a 1 seed but it would take a lot of other things falling into place.

I think a 2 is the worst possible barring a loss to the Hawkeyes.

Dab
03-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Tied at halftime. Gotta pick it up in the 2nd half.

Nice win for Michigan. They're looking real good for the tournament now.

Mackey_Rose
03-05-2011, 07:05 PM
So much for any number 1 seed. Unreal.

BRushWithDeath
03-05-2011, 07:12 PM
A terrible performance.

ECKrueger
03-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Yuck.