PDA

View Full Version : Hornets trade sheds light on expiring deals

90'sNBARocked
11-22-2010, 05:39 PM
http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2010/11/22/hornets-trade-sheds-light-on-expiring-deals/

After dreaming of Andre Iguodala or Kevin Martin or Stephen Jackson, the Hornets dealt Peja Stojakovic’s massive expiring contract and in return received Jarrett Jack, a backup guard (Marcus Banks) who shouldn’t play any meaningful minutes and a pick-and-pop big man (David Andersen) who is a near replica of their top big man off the bench (Jason Smith).
And the Hornets had to surrender an intriguing young player in Jerryd Bayless just to persuade the Raptors to part with this sterling package.

The deal will help New Orleans, even if it will push Marcus Thornton even further out of the rotation. As others noted over the weekend, the deal essentially exchanges Jack for Bayless, and the Hornets are right to think that’s a good exchange without even considering Jack’s close friendship with Chris Paul. (Side note: The Raptors went after Jack in part because of his friendship, dating to their college days, with Chris Bosh. This is a good strategy for fringe NBA players with less certain careers than Jack: become friends with stars whose teams are fearful of losing those stars. You’ll always have a job!)

Bayless barely played alongside Paul, which means Monty Williams did not see Bayless and his unproven three-point shot as a legitimate option at shooting guard in crunch-time lineups. Bayless has shared almost all his court time with Willie Green, and the two basically split the ball-handling duties on New Orleans’ second unit. Neither is a quality point guard right now.

Jack isn’t a starting point guard on a good team, but he’s a better option at backup than either Bayless or Green. And he’s made a career of swinging between the two guard positions, so he’s an option at the 2 alongside Paul if Marco Belinelli is struggling.

It’s a good deal for New Orleans in basketball terms, and one that looks even better when considering the $5 million in payroll savings for this season, an occasional three-pointer from Andersen and two smaller expiring deals to replace Stojakovic’s.

It also shows that fans of teams with huge expiring contracts and trade exceptions might want to scale back their Iguodala-sized ambitions — at least for now. The market is flooded with (by my count) at least 16 expiring deals and trade exceptions valued at more than $10 million, meaning teams such as the Sixers will have many options if and when they decide to unload a quality guy like Iguodala — even if that guy is scheduled to make nearly $15 million per season through 2013-14. A trade exception won’t be enough unless a team has an intriguing young player or multiple first-rounders it’d like to add to a deal.

This notion that an expiring contract can get you a star player on a long-term deal is outdated. That got me thinking, though: How many players are there like Iguodala — very good, still relatively young and working on deals onerous enough that their teams would ideally like to dump them but can’t do so without getting something in return? I mean, sure, a team’s massive expiring contract could get it Baron Davis or Gilbert Arenas or Elton Brand, but what’s the point of that? The Clippers, Wizards and Sixers would dump those guys in a second for payroll relief alone.

But Philadelphia is clearly unwilling to do that, at least for now, with Iguodala — and that makes sense. He’s only 26, and he’s a tenacious defender you’d absolutely love to have as the second- or third-best player on your team. He’s overpaid but very valuable.

Does he have any equivalents around the league? Here are some candidates:

• Stephen Jackson, Gerald Wallace (Charlotte): Both have average salaries in the $9 million-$10 million range through the 2012-13 season, but their deals are a year shorter and much less expensive than Iguodala’s. The Bobcats aren’t on the best financial footing, but with playoff hopes and a money-saving lockout looming, they’re probably not willing to deal either for payroll relief alone.

• Kevin Martin (Houston): His deal is also a year shorter than Iguodala’s and pays him on average about $3 million less per season. With a bunch of a big-name expirings, the Rockets probably view Martin as a building block.

• Luol Deng (Chicago): Deng’s deal runs through 2013-14 (the same length as Iguodala’s) and pays him about $1 million less per season than Iguodala. But he’s not going anywhere with the Bulls on the upswing and no serious replacement lined up at small forward.

• Anderson Varejao (Cleveland): The 28-year-old is in the first year of a deal that pays him about $8.5 million per season through 2014-15. It’s a fair deal that might run a tad long, and it’s not big enough for Cleveland to be dying to move it. He doesn’t fit.

• Ben Gordon (Detroit): Here we go. Gordon is only a few months older than Iguodala, and will make an average of $12 million per season through 2013-14. That’s too much for a one-dimensional scorer, but Joe Dumars probably isn’t willing yet to swallow hard and admit he overpaid for Gordon — especially since the team could free up more minutes for Gordon by moving Richard Hamilton. Still, he might be the closest player in the league to Iguodala, in terms of his contract.

• Brendan Haywood (Dallas): Haywood will be paid nearly $10 million in 2014-15 … when he’ll be 36. Egads. The Mavericks should be ready to rid themselves of this deal now, but they probably can’t, given the possibility that Tyson Chandler will leave after this season. Also, teams would probably be cautious taking on Haywood’s deal; he doesn’t have any of Iguodala’s league-wide appeal.

• Monta Ellis, Andris Biedrins (Golden State): Ellis is playing so well that Golden State probably won’t trade him. And Biedrins, who will earn $9 million per season through 2013-14, must prove he can be healthy and productive again before another team would be interested in taking on his contract.

• Emeka Okafor (New Orleans): Okafor is severely overpaid on a deal as long as Iguodala’s (he has the option to make $14.5 million in 2013-14), but the Hornets can’t trade him now without irritating Paul.

• Rashard Lewis (Orlando): We all know he’s overpaid, but his deal is relatively short (it expires after the 2012-13 season), and he’s too important to what Orlando does.

• Corey Maggette (Milwaukee): He’s similar to Lewis in that his deal runs only through 2012-13, and the Bucks sorely need the exact skill set Maggette brings.

That’s really it. You’re beginning to see how rare Iguodala is and how difficult he’ll be for Philadelphia to move. Also, is it too early to put Joe Johnson and Rudy Gay on this list?

Slick Pinkham
11-22-2010, 05:57 PM
crap... just when we get expirings they plunge in value. Not that i wanted a lot, but I was hoping for some deals that would get us future draft picks.

It looks like we just let out expirings walk and hope that there is more value in having cap room.

pwee31
11-22-2010, 05:58 PM
There's a lot of season left. Still time for teams to mail it in and clean house

cdash
11-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Dunleavy, George, and a protected first round pick to Philly for Iguodala. And whatever other minor parts need to be added to make the deal work. Still not sure that would do it.

cordobes
11-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Demand and offer. There are lots of expiring contracts and not many bad contracts on rebuilding teams.

Hicks
11-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Dunleavy, George, and a protected first round pick to Philly for Iguodala. And whatever other minor parts need to be added to make the deal work. Still not sure that would do it.

I would shoot myself.

QuickRelease
11-22-2010, 06:49 PM
I would shoot myself.
I take it that you don't think much of Iguodala then? I wouldn't lose much sleep over that deal as stated. Gotta give to get. I think Iggy and Danny would be a nice twosome. Not that I want George to go, but I think Iggy's defense and slashing ability would pair well with Danny's shooting.

cdash
11-22-2010, 07:24 PM
I would shoot myself.

Why? That's not a bad deal at all for Iguodala.

vnzla81
11-22-2010, 07:35 PM
I would shoot myself.

I guess we are going to miss you then .............:-p

Hibbert
11-22-2010, 07:37 PM
Why? That's not a bad deal at all for Iguodala.

I'm all for that deal. George is very raw while Andre is a proven commodity with superior strength and athleticism. He has the size, quickness, and skill set to become an elite defender and is also a great rebounder and passer. The only negative I think you can say about him is his poor shooting, but he does get to the basket and is good at creating his own shot.

90'sNBARocked
11-23-2010, 04:48 PM
I think because I dont honestly see that Igudola is that much better than Rush

I mean his defense might be a little better than Danny's but his offense is way behind the prolific score that Granger is

he is a good player and if we could make it something like Dunleavy, Ford and a number 1 I would be all for that, other than that I think there are better alternatives

Young
11-23-2010, 05:14 PM
I like Igudola as a player. He can defend and handle the ball. He can't shoot though and he should really never shoot 3s.

The problem is he makes more money then Danny Granger. He just isn't worth the money to the Pacers. If Iggy made say 8-9 million it would be different. Right now the Pacers have a nice financial situation and Iggy just isn't worth messing that up especially when you consider that the new CBA has not been agreed upon yet.

Iggy is best as a 3rd guy on your team. I think he would be AWESOME in Orlando. On the Pacers he just isn't a really good fit.

Expiring contracts are not nearly as valuable as many believe especially ones that are high dollars like Peja's...it's hard to match. We have seen it time and time again that they usually do not net teams as much as people believe. Just look at Cleveland last year. They had their choice of Antwan Jamison and Troy Murphy.

The Pacers received exceptional value for Troy Murphy's deal over the summer. What made that so great is the fact that he is all they gave up...no young prospect or pick. Had they gave up either of those that trade isn't nearly as good for the Pacers. Giving up Troy's expiring contract for a point guard who, potentially, can be your starter is great value for an expiring contract.