PDA

View Full Version : A Sad Story in LA Reminds us all what is really important

Trader Joe
11-22-2010, 12:02 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5838014

I feel terrible for the family tough to imagine a fun night at a Lakers game to end so tragically.

I witnessed probably a 5 or 6 year old girl fall head first over 3 or 4 rows in the balcony at Conseco on Thursday night against the Clippers. It was a bit like watching it in slow motion and fairly horrifying to say the least. I can only imagine what this was like.

90'sNBARocked
11-22-2010, 01:06 PM
I dont understand why people think its safe to bring a child under 5 to the game

Why take the risk?

Very very sad , I cant even fathom what the parents must be going through right now

God Bless them

pacer4ever
11-22-2010, 01:45 PM
I dont understand why people think its safe to bring a child under 5 to the game

Why take the risk?

Very very sad , I cant even fathom what the parents must be going through right now

God Bless them

WTF they are safe if u keep an eye on them. The NBA is family based that is why. Why would it not be safe u just need to watch them and these things would not happen.

90'sNBARocked
11-22-2010, 02:01 PM
WTF they are safe if u keep an eye on them. The NBA is family based that is why. Why would it not be safe u just need to watch them and these things would not happen.

because too many things can happen. It is of a great risk to expose your kids to crowds like that, anything can happen

I mean no slight by this my man, but it is really something you cant understand until you have kids and are a little older

Unclebuck
11-22-2010, 02:04 PM
I never went to a game until I was I think 8 or 9 years old. I really don't see the need to bring your 3 year old to a game - that is what babysitters are for. They cannot appreciate until they are probably 6 or so anyway.

But then I never went to a restaurant (besides fast food or pizza place) until I was probably 10.

Things are different today though

90'sNBARocked
11-22-2010, 02:08 PM
I never went to a game until I was I think 8 or 9 years old. I really don't see the need to bring your 3 year old to a game - that is what babysitters are for. They cannot appreciate until they are probably 6 or so anyway.

But then I never went to a restaurant (besides fast food or pizza place) until I was probably 10.

Things are different today though

yep, unfortunatley different doesnt mean better

Especially in a world that has gotten progressively more violent by nature

I dont want my kids anywhere there is even the sslightest chance something could go wrong

I Love P
11-22-2010, 02:32 PM
If you fell out of a suite at Conseco you wouldn't fall that far.

CableKC
11-23-2010, 01:36 PM

Why take the risk?
I've taken both of my kids ( age 6 and 2 ) to every Warriors Vs Pacers game ever that I get to see ( 1 game every season ) since they were born.

I don't have any concern for their safety. It's more of a family thing for me.

90'sNBARocked
11-23-2010, 01:39 PM
I've taken both of my kids ( age 6 and 2 ) to every Warriors Vs Pacers game ever that I get to see ( 1 game every season ) since they were born.

I would never tell another man how to raise his kids but,
to me that is just too risky to take a child under 5

CableKC
11-23-2010, 01:42 PM

Why take the risk?

yep, unfortunatley different doesnt mean better

I dont want my kids anywhere there is even the sslightest chance something could go wrong
I can't disagree with you on this. But I guess it's more a matter of overall safety for where you are going. I have no problem taking my family to Oakland Arena ( which isn't exactly the safest area if you are familiar with the SF Bay Area ) but I feel the same exact way that you feel about going to San Francisco with my family.

I guess for me, it's more that when I go to a game in Oakland Arena ( where the Warriors play )....I go in....watch the game....then leave once the game is over...going straight to the Car and back home to my house ( which is about 45 minutes away from the Arena ). I don't hang around or go to some bar/restaurant...I go straight home.

CableKC
11-23-2010, 01:51 PM
I would never tell another man how to raise his kids but,
to me that is just too risky to take a child under 5
Oh no...I'm not suggesting that you'd do anything like that. For me, it's a family thing. Besides "stoking the fires of interest" when it comes to my 6 year old Son's fascination with NBA Basketball.....going to a Pacers basketball game is something that I want to share with my family. It's hard to explain....but I only get to see 1 Pacers game every season...my reasoning is that if I only get to see my favorite Team only once every year......I want to go see it with my family. Going to see a game is like going to see a huge spectacle with all the lights, people and excitement....all stuff that I think my kids would enjoy.

But I do see your point.....that's why we go see the game and then once the game is over....we head straight home. Besides....it's not like we're going to see the Pre-Brawl version of the Pacers where something could happen ( a la November 19th 2004 ), we have a bunch of Milk-Drinkers on our team now :laugh:.

MyFavMartin
11-23-2010, 02:45 PM
This event is a tragic accident. I can imagine the amount of guilt the family is feeling.

Accidents can happen anywhere. Be careful.

Thanksgiving is a time to be thankful for family, friends, love and health.

And, of course, the Pacers.

nerveghost
11-23-2010, 03:42 PM
As a father of a 1yo and 3yo, I have nightmares about this kind of thing. Words cannot express the horror of this actually happening.

duke dynamite
11-23-2010, 03:57 PM
If you fell out of a suite at Conseco you wouldn't fall that far.
I don't even think it's possible to "fall" out of a suite there without any kind of horseplay involved.

Still, this story makes me sniffle a little bit.

BillS
11-23-2010, 04:25 PM
I don't even think it's possible to "fall" out of a suite there without any kind of horseplay involved.

Still, this story makes me sniffle a little bit.

I wouldn't say that. I think the front glass at Conseco is about waist high to an adult, with concrete wall partway up.

Considering 2- and 3-year-olds can be startlingly good at climbing, any gap between the side and front that would allow a foothold can make a difference. I don't think there are any at Conseco (there aren't at the front of the club section, for instance), but it really does not take much.

My heart goes out to the parents, and I hope Staples takes a look at the circumstances so the ambulance chasers don't get involved.

90'sNBARocked
11-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Oh no...I'm not suggesting that you'd do anything like that. For me, it's a family thing. Besides "stoking the fires of interest" when it comes to my 6 year old Son's fascination with NBA Basketball.....going to a Pacers basketball game is something that I want to share with my family. It's hard to explain....but I only get to see 1 Pacers game every season...my reasoning is that if I only get to see my favorite Team only once every year......I want to go see it with my family. Going to see a game is like going to see a huge spectacle with all the lights, people and excitement....all stuff that I think my kids would enjoy.

But I do see your point.....that's why we go see the game and then once the game is over....we head straight home. Besides....it's not like we're going to see the Pre-Brawl version of the Pacers where something could happen ( a la November 19th 2004 ), we have a bunch of Milk-Drinkers on our team now :laugh:.

I see your point as well, and if you are consistenly watching the kids then I think the level of fear goes down significantly

I also are like you my frined in that I want to share all the excitment with my kids and want them to hopefully love basketball as much as their Dad

I mean you have to take some risks in life or you arent trully living

My concern wasnt that it was Basketball, or where the area of the arena was, me personally I just get worried taking the youngins to anywhere there is a big crowd. I mean you can be the most fantastic parent , but all ti takes is a couple of idiots to develop a mob like mentality

Midcoasted
11-24-2010, 04:32 AM
That's crazy. I was at Conseco once in the front of the blacony and there was a kid playing on the glass the whole time. It really had me nervous and almost ruint the game for me. I didn't see how the parent wasn't even slightly worried about their kid climbing where they could fall to their death.

Slick Pinkham
11-24-2010, 09:35 AM

The child death is a sad tragedy.

Just an aside, though, specifically on your remark...

It is a common myth that crimes of all types are more common than ever. Media coverage of crimes are more pervasive than ever, for sure. We are media-sensitized to horrific crimes, but compare USA crime rates for 2009 with that of (say) 1980 in the table at the bottom of the link,

United States Crime Index Rates Per 100,000 Inhabitants

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

all crime: down 42%
violent crime: down 28%
murder: down 23%
rape: down 22%
robbery: down 47%
burglery: down 57%
aggravated assault: down 12%
larceny: down 31%
vehicle theft: down 48%

some of the downturn is technology driven- it is harder to steal new cars, more homes have security systems, people have cell phones to call for help, etc. Some newer crimes like identity theft are also perhaps not captured. Still the downward trend is unmistakable, striking, and (to many people) unexpected.

bundo
11-24-2010, 06:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5838014

I feel terrible for the family tough to imagine a fun night at a Lakers game to end so tragically.

I witnessed probably a 5 or 6 year old girl fall head first over 3 or 4 rows in the balcony at Conseco on Thursday night against the Clippers. It was a bit like watching it in slow motion and fairly horrifying to say the least. I can only imagine what this was like.

Jesus, is this a regular occurrence or something? How long before the league catches on? There needs to be age restrictions in potentially dangerous areas.