PDA

View Full Version : Did you realize that Nate McMillan's contract is up after this year?

Anthem
11-21-2010, 10:51 PM
No matter how well Obie does this year, I think we all assume that it's his last. Anybody dispute that?

If not, I'd be interested in seeing what McMillan can do. Without Oden and Roy, he might be ready to move on.

kester99
11-21-2010, 11:19 PM
No matter how well Obie does this year, I think we all assume that it's his last. Anybody dispute that?

Bird might, if we make the playoffs, and show respectably. Of course, if that happens, the JOB love index around here would go up a bit.

Infinite MAN_force
11-22-2010, 12:11 AM
Mike Brown will be our coach next year. You heard it here first. Expect to hear about this in whatever "prediction" thread is around next year.

BringJackBack
11-22-2010, 12:12 AM
All that I know is that this offseason is going to be ridiculously interesting and fun for us.

I can't wait. Especially if we end in a bang by making the Playoffs, and giving Foster a good sendoff.

IndyProdigy
11-22-2010, 01:40 AM
Mike Brown will be our coach next year. You heard it here first. Expect to hear about this in whatever "prediction" thread is around next year.

interesting question...

Is this a case where the more the heat lose, the better a coach mike brown looks?

graphic-er
11-22-2010, 01:51 AM
I'd take Nate McMillian in a heart beat. Not sure why he was driven out of Seattle back in the day, but he proved his worth in Portland. Those guys play tough for him, they still win 50 games year even with all the injury problems they have.

Mike Brown. I'd be interested, but it worries me what will happen to our offense. Certainly he can coach defense though. Defense wins championships.

Will Galen
11-22-2010, 02:06 AM

If not, I'd be interested in seeing what McMillan can do. Without Oden and Roy, he might be ready to move on.

I don't assume that. I think if Bird comes back O'B could too. Most of you don't like OB because we've been losing so of course you think if only he would have done such and such, (your idea) it would have been better. It appears to me most coaches don't make much difference, and that most coaches are only as good as their players.

There's a lot less grumbling this year because the players are playing better so we are looking better. One reason is the players are learning O'B's style. Has everyone noticed that one reason Ford is playing better is because he knows the system better?

If we change coaches the players will have to learn the new guys system, that will set us back a bit.

If Bird does come back and hire a new coach I'm all for it being Mike Brown.

No I didn't hear it from you first! I think several people stated that on here when Mike first got fired at Cleveland.

All that I know is that this offseason is going to be ridiculously interesting and fun for us.

I can't wait. Especially if we end in a bang by making the Playoffs, and giving Foster a good sendoff.

We don't know Foster is going anywhere. He can obviously still play, and has said he wants to play beyond this year, so I could see Bird signing him to a vet contract. I think he would be great insurance as the 5th or 6th big man off the bench.

avoidingtheclowns
11-22-2010, 02:15 AM
Mike Brown. I'd be interested, but it worries me what will happen to our offense. Certainly he can coach defense though. Defense wins championships.

Cleveland's offense certainly looked terrible most of the time but there are two things in Brown's favor. First, he doesn't have a Lebron James. Maybe without a clear league MVP like James, Mike would have a more diverse offensive game plan. Second, the one year the Cavs were more diverse and less predictable on the offensive end, John Kuester was on the bench next to Brown. It certainly seems like Kuester will be out of job by May. I'm not advocating Mike Brown for the potential job opening, but those factors make me a bit more open-minded about his offensive shortcomings.

sportfireman
11-22-2010, 03:58 AM
interesting question...

Is this a case where the more the heat lose, the better a coach mike brown looks?

??? You mean the Cavs right???

Day-V
11-22-2010, 04:45 AM
??? You mean the Cavs right???

I think he's trying to imply that the more the Heat lose the more it looks like the Cavs recent failures were LeBron's fault and not so much Brown's?

I dunno.

HC
11-22-2010, 09:08 AM
I don't assume that. I think if Bird comes back O'B could too. Most of you don't like OB because we've been losing so of course you think if only he would have done such and such, (your idea) it would have been better. It appears to me most coaches don't make much difference, and that most coaches are only as good as their players.

There's a lot less grumbling this year because the players are playing better so we are looking better. One reason is the players are learning O'B's style. Has everyone noticed that one reason Ford is playing better is because he knows the system better?

If we change coaches the players will have to learn the new guys system, that will set us back a bit.

If Bird does come back and hire a new coach I'm all for it being Mike Brown.

No I didn't hear it from you first! I think several people stated that on here when Mike first got fired at Cleveland.

We don't know Foster is going anywhere. He can obviously still play, and has said he wants to play beyond this year, so I could see Bird signing him to a vet contract. I think he would be great insurance as the 5th or 6th big man off the bench.

this

DonSwanson
11-22-2010, 09:32 AM

I dispute it. If we win a round in the playoffs then he's guaranteed back and would absolutely deserve the chance to build on that success in a fifth season. If we make the playoffs but don't win a round then it's probably 50/50.

Unclebuck
11-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Both Nate and Mike Brown are excellent coaches and I would be very happy with either. JVG would also be a great choice - if he is wanting to get back into coaching

I'm not expecting Jim back unless we get into the second round of the playoffs

pizza guy
11-22-2010, 10:02 AM
Both Nate and Mike Brown are excellent coaches and I would be very happy with either. JVG would also be a great choice - if he is wanting to get back into coaching

I'm not expecting Jim back unless we get into the second round of the playoffs

This.

If we could get Nate McMillan or JVG, I'd probably :dance: for days. That would make me happy.

spreedom
11-22-2010, 10:05 AM
I'd take Nate McMillian in a heart beat. Not sure why he was driven out of Seattle back in the day, but he proved his worth in Portland. Those guys play tough for him, they still win 50 games year even with all the injury problems they have.

Sorry to say that I'm too lazy to confirm this, but I am pretty sure McMillan just got offered a lot more money from Portland. I know he left right after Seattle had that great season where Ray Allen set the single-season three-pointer record and Jerome James had a pulse in the playoffs against Tim Duncan (and we all know how that turned out).

xtacy
11-22-2010, 11:03 AM
If we could get Nate McMillan or JVG, I'd probably :dance: for days. That would make me happy.

same here.

grace
11-22-2010, 11:07 AM
JVG would also be a great choice - if he is wanting to get back into coaching

:shudder:
:puke:
:suicide4:

That being said I have no problem with Nate or Mike Brown. It might actually get Kegboy to pay real attention to the Pacers again. JVG might make him become a baseball fan.

Doddage
11-22-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm down with Nate McMillan. I think Collison would flourish under him.

Trader Joe
11-22-2010, 12:14 PM
I think we need to see if there's a lockout first before speculating on anything like this.

Unclebuck
11-22-2010, 12:36 PM
I think we need to see if there's a lockout first before speculating on anything like this.

Coaches get paid during a loockout, so I understand your point. (can't pay a coach is none are under contract) But if something happens like last time - a settlement on a new CBA is reached and two weeks later the regular season starts - the pacers would be stupid to wait to hire a coach until the new CBA is agreed upon.

We need a new coach after the season regardless of possible lockout. You never know when a settlement might be reached, plus it would help for the draft to have a coach under contract. (plus I think any good coach would demand a full year contract even if the season doesn't start before February 1st. so what are you really gaining?)

Trader Joe
11-22-2010, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I'm just making the point that our big offseason of cap space and change happens to fall during the lockout. So, uh yeah, I'm not sure just how big of a road block that's going to be yet, but make no bones about it, it will be a road block.

Mackey_Rose
11-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Yeah, I'm just making the point that our big offseason of cap space and change happens to fall during the lockout. So, uh yeah, I'm not sure just how big of a road block that's going to be yet, but make no bones about it, it will be a road block.

It's huge. How do you commit to somebody (a coach or a player) when you have no idea what the ramifications of the next CBA are going to be.

And it is certain that the front office has no idea.

Will Galen
11-22-2010, 05:46 PM
It's huge. How do you commit to somebody (a coach or a player) when you have no idea what the ramifications of the next CBA are going to be.

I'm sure 'they' will have an educated guess the closer it gets.

d_c
11-22-2010, 05:52 PM
McMillan would be a very good choice. Just keep in mind he will probably be a valued commodity and he'll probably have multiple options (i.e. the Pacers will have to compete for him).

Justin Tyme
11-22-2010, 05:53 PM
[QUOTE=Will Galen;1102267]

Has everyone noticed that one reason Ford is playing better is because he knows the system better? /QUOTE]

OR he's playing better to get out of Indy ASAP!

Let's just wait until the end of the season b4 thinking about giving Foster another contract.

Justin Tyme
11-22-2010, 06:00 PM
I dispute it. If we win a round in the playoffs then he's guaranteed back and would absolutely deserve the chance to build on that success in a fifth season. If we make the playoffs but don't win a round then it's probably 50/50.

Jimmy isn't going to sign a 1 year contract, nor should the Pacers offer him a contract of any length. Jimmy has done what he was asked to do. Now, it's time for a new coach to take the Pacers to the next level. That coach isn't Jim O'Brien.

Justin Tyme
11-22-2010, 06:08 PM

I can possibly understand about a player, but I disagree with the coach. The core players will be here, and a coach should be involved in the draft and any possible trades or FA signings. Trades can be made after the season is over up until the June 30 and during the draft. A coach should be in place even with a lockout looming.

MLB007
11-22-2010, 07:27 PM

Yes, I'll dispute that.
I think that this being the first year he's had a "real" team, THIS is the judgement year.
And if they make the playoffs, I think he stays.

NapTonius Monk
11-22-2010, 08:04 PM

I'm not expecting Jim back unless we get into the second round of the playoffsI'm thinking JVG gets the Lakers or Heat next. I'd think Portland will resign McMillan.

cordobes
11-22-2010, 08:06 PM
I wouldn't be too impressed with Mike Brown's defensive reputation. Do you know who had a similar reputation? Jim O'Brien before he coached the Pacers. Byron Scott still has one... but he's on the verge of losing it because he doesn't have players to build a good defensive squad in Cleveland. On the other hand, I think he's unfairly criticized for Cleveland's offense. LeBron didn't dominate the ball more than many other players... but his ball-dominance was more evident because he wasn't the point-guard. With the kind of rosters they had, I think allowing LeBron to dominate the ball was the best option. If anything, I think Brown did a very poor coaching job in the last playoffs when he took the ball out of LeBron's hands to run post-ups for Shaq. That was a tremendous mistake - Shaq shouldn't have been on the floor at all against Boston.

McMillan is a very good coach, even though the offense they run in Portland is a bit too vanilla. I'm not convinced he'll leave Portland though and Paul Allen made him one of the highest paid coaches in the league. If he leaves Portland, I suspect it's because Allen wants a new coach. But in that case, he'll be the most sought free-agent coach, as d_c said.

kester99
11-23-2010, 12:06 AM
Erik Spoelstra?