PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on Darren Collison so far?

Young
11-20-2010, 11:51 PM
I know it's very early to be asking this but I haven't been able to watch a game with Collison playing and I am wondering what you guys think of his play so far? He has put up solid stats but that doesn't really tell the story. I'm curious to know what you guys saw from him in his 8 games.

Day-V
11-20-2010, 11:53 PM
I miss Darren.

pacer4ever
11-20-2010, 11:54 PM
I miss Darren.

ya im getting tired of the TJ ISO myself.

BlueNGold
11-20-2010, 11:55 PM
The good: Exciting offensive player. Great shooter. Great at driving and converting. Good play maker. Good leadership skills. Smart guy.

The bad: Smallish..and that's not changing. Not good defense (so far). Possibly not better than AJ Price.

vnzla81
11-20-2010, 11:55 PM
That he is better than TJ

Unclebuck
11-20-2010, 11:57 PM
The good: Exciting offensive player. Great shooter. Great at driving and converting. Good play maker. Good leadership skills. Smart guy.

The bad: Smallish..and that's not changing. Not good defense (so far). Possibly not better than AJ Price.

You had me 100% until your last sentence. He's better than Price

Kid Minneapolis
11-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Ya lol... Collison > TJ > AJ at this point.

BlueNGold
11-21-2010, 12:00 AM
You had me 100% until your last sentence. He's better than Price

You are probably right. I have always preferred bigger PG's. I hope Collison develops into a Tony Parker...

Unclebuck
11-21-2010, 12:07 AM
You are probably right. I have always preferred bigger PG's. I hope Collison develops into a Tony Parker...

I like big point guard also. However I don't see that Price really plays any bigger than Collison

Lance George
11-21-2010, 12:50 AM
Lights-out, elite-level shooter. Hard-nosed player with a winning mentality. Much better point guard skills than the system shows. Lightning-quick and not as small as some believe (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=All&source=All&sort2=DESC&draft=100&pos=1&sort=2).

He's pretty much the exact same player as he was starting for New Orleans, thus my thoughts are exactly what they were when we acquired him back in August.

Hicks
11-21-2010, 01:13 AM
If he steps up on defense, I'll love him. Already like him a lot.

rock747
11-21-2010, 01:28 AM
I think hes great offensively. We could have used that tonight.

jeffg-body
11-21-2010, 01:36 AM
A ton of potential ( I know, I used the P word), great poise for his experience level, high energy, smart player. A guy you love to have on your team and would hate to face if he were on another team. TJ Ford speed with better decision making and much better shooting ability.

xBulletproof
11-21-2010, 01:40 AM
The same as I did last year.

Except I think O'Brien pushes for pressure from the PG's so much that he looks completely different on defense than he did last year. He was much better because he focused much more on just staying in front of his man. I think O'Brien focuses on pressure defense from the PG position. I truly think that's why AJ Price doesn't play, he can't pressure the way TJ and Collison can because he doesn't have their elite speed.

I think his defense will improve immensely after Jim O'Brien is gone.

Sookie
11-21-2010, 04:13 AM
The same as I did last year.

Except I think O'Brien pushes for pressure from the PG's so much that he looks completely different on defense than he did last year. He was much better because he focused much more on just staying in front of his man. I think O'Brien focuses on pressure defense from the PG position. I truly think that's why AJ Price doesn't play, he can't pressure the way TJ and Collison can because he doesn't have their elite speed.

I think his defense will improve immensely after Jim O'Brien is gone.

LOL, that's not why Price doesn't play. TJ's a vet, and Collison's been declared PG of the future. That's why Price doesn't play.

The good: Energetic, good scorer, learns from his mistakes I think.
The Bad: Terrible defensively, raw (that'll change)

obviously, no I don't think he's better than Price..but I've said before, I value certain things in a PG more than others do and I don't place other things at a high value (athleticism..is probably a big one) for a PG...that being said, I like Collison a lot. And as I've been saying, as much as I've liked watching Price the past couple of games..I'd prefer to not watch TJ for 35+ so I can't wait for Darren to come back. :P

Trader Joe
11-21-2010, 04:34 AM
I think it's pretty clear in every way that Collison is better than Price and Ford (Sorry Sookie).

He's an elite ball handler, he can get wherever he wants on the court, and he's a pretty good finisher for a guy his size.

He changes gears incredibly quickly as well.

D needs a ton of work right now, but you could say that about a lot of smallish PGs when they first showed up that eventually figured out how to use their quickness to minimize their size differences.

xBulletproof
11-21-2010, 05:03 AM
LOL, that's not why Price doesn't play. TJ's a vet, and Collison's been declared PG of the future. That's why Price doesn't play.

I know it's hard for you to believe that AJ may not be playing because of any fault of his own, but it certainly looks to be that way. When Collison isn't pressuring the ball his playing time suffers. Even if his pressure causes defensive breakdowns and problems for us, as long as he's doing it, he stays on the court.

I think your severe bias for Price really makes it hard for you to see this situation clearly. It's always someone else's fault but Price. Just as your assumption that Collison was given the starting nod without any opportunity for any other outcome from day 1. You don't know that just as much as I don't know that it isn't the case either, but it doesn't stop you from claiming it as a fact.

I'm not saying I agree with O'Brien on how his PG's should defend, or his use of them, but it doesn't change what I'm seeing.

Sookie
11-21-2010, 05:35 AM
I know it's hard for you to believe that AJ may not be playing because of any fault of his own, but it certainly looks to be that way. When Collison isn't pressuring the ball his playing time suffers. Even if his pressure causes defensive breakdowns and problems for us, as long as he's doing it, he stays on the court.

I think your severe bias for Price really makes it hard for you to see this situation clearly. It's always someone else's fault but Price. Just as your assumption that Collison was given the starting nod without any opportunity for any other outcome from day 1. You don't know that just as much as I don't know that it isn't the case either, but it doesn't stop you from claiming it as a fact.

I'm not saying I agree with O'Brien on how his PG's should defend, or his use of them, but it doesn't change what I'm seeing.

I disagree, and "my extreme bias" is not the reason, but I'll leave it at that.

Do I have a bias. Yup. I prefer the "few mistakes, intelligent, all around game" PGs...

I could break down why I think Price and Collison are equal to each other, but ..I don't think this is the place.

Continuing with this thread though, despite how bad Darren is defensively..I think he has the potential to be fantastic defensively. And I hope that can be brought out of him.

Kamiyohk
11-21-2010, 02:49 PM
Point guard future

but poor defense and limited body

BringJackBack
11-21-2010, 02:58 PM
I just love having a point guard that consistently has a positive impact on the game. Other than players that are negative for the team such as TJ or JT, or point guards that are null on the impact of winning such as Earl Watson and Travis Diener (null meaning that the point guard doesn't hurt us, but doesn't help us.)

Now we have Darren, and if we had him in a good system and getting starters minutes (closing out games means five plus more minutes) he'd be averaging at least somewhere around 18 and 7. Maybe lower assist numbers, I'm not sure, but his scoring would probably be over 18 points per game.

Darren is a very good player, and he's very talented. He just has a natural feel for the game.

PaceBalls
11-21-2010, 03:12 PM
He is alot like TJ. I think TJ is a better defender, and he doesn't deserve the hate he gets. DC is much better at running the offense and making the right decisions. I think both of these guys would considered much better players with a different coach/offense.

I wish we could have seen DC to end that Orlando game. That's where his value comes into play. A steady hand in winning time.

Psyren
11-21-2010, 03:13 PM
While his defensive has been less than desirable, there's no question the positive impact he has.

He's a great shooter. He makes plays when you need them. He makes the defense worry about someone other than Granger and Roy. And for a 22 year old, seems to have a great head on his shoulders and be a high quality leader.

Simply put, I miss Darren as well :(

Hicks
11-21-2010, 03:19 PM
He is alot like TJ. ... DC is much better at running the offense and making the right decisions.

So what you're saying is he'a a lot like TJ, except when he's nothing like TJ. ;)

MLB007
11-21-2010, 03:23 PM
A much better shooter than I expected.
Otherwise, what I expected.
Looks like a definite leader type down the road.
+

Sookie
11-21-2010, 04:07 PM
So what you're saying is he'a a lot like TJ, except when he's nothing like TJ. ;)

Exactly..they may have similar styles..(Ball dominant, speedy, reluctant -although Collison can shoot 3s- to shoot from the perimeter..)

But Collison doesn't make poor decision after poor decision with the basketball..Typically, if he does something stupid once..he doesn't do it again.

So lets stop insulting Darren with that one.

Eleazar
11-21-2010, 06:36 PM
I like Collison he is young and promising, and possibly the PG of the future. Although I am not convinced he is better than AJ, but at the same time I'm not convinced that AJ is better than him. Until AJ gets a true chance to show how good he is I can't judge one to be better than the other.