PDA

View Full Version : Caught in the web w/ very interesting comments by Jim about Danny's goals

BringJackBack
11-19-2010, 11:13 PM
There really was no mystery to it.

Asked what adjustment he made after Eric Gordon got off to a hot start, scoring 11 in the first quarter as the Clippers built an early lead Thursday night, Jim O'Brien said matter-of-factly, "We put Danny on him."

With Granger taking Gordon out of the game thereafter, the Pacers blew things open in the second and third periods and coasted to a 107-80 victory. Granger had 22 points, seven rebounds, five assists, two steals and two blocks. Gordon scored just eight more points and wound up 5-of-17 from the field.

It was just the latest in a sequence of strong all-around performances for Granger, who is committed to becoming a complete player.

"We knew that Danny would guard him in the fourth quarter of a close game so we put Danny on him in the second quarter," said O'Brien. "Danny did a great job against Joe Johnson (of Atlanta) in the last tame. He did a terrific job against Eric Gordon. He really makes difficult for those guys.

"I think Danny's playing great basketball. He's really playing at a high level at both ends of the court."

Though Atlanta beat the Pacers 102-92 Tuesday, Johnson managed just 11 points on 4-of-12 shooting. The previous Tuesday, Granger had a hand in limiting Denver's Carmelo Anthony to 13 points on 5-of-15 shooting.

GRANGER FOCUSES MINDSET ON DEFENSE

After hearing all summer that he was riding the bench with the U.S. team during the FIBA World Championship because of his defense, Granger has gone a long way towards silencing any remaining skepticism about his ability to play both ends of the floor.

"It's a mindset," Granger said. "I like to focus a lot on the defensive end on being really locked in making rotations, guarding my man one-on-one, blocking shots, help-side. I'm trying to affect the game in every facet.

"I've taken it upon myself to be the player this team needs on the offensive end and the defensive end but more importantly on defense. When the offense struggles and it's time for me to be more assertive then I will be, like I have been in the past, but I really want to focus on the defensive end."

Granger's ownership of his defensive responsibility was viewed by O'Brien as one of the biggest keys to his growth as a player, and as a team leader by example, this season.

A CANDIDATE FOR ALL-DEFENSIVE TEAM?

"One of his goals is to be on the first or second all-defensive team," said O'Brien. "He's capable of doing that. He's tough-minded, he's got good hands, good feet, good length. Everybody knows Danny can put the ball in the basket but he is becoming a complete player.

"He knows how important he is to our team defensively and he's stepping up to the challenge."

It was particularly interesting watching Granger lock down Gordon, a younger player who nonetheless enjoyed prominent minutes as the U.S. won the gold medal. Was there a message in that effort?

"No message," said Granger with a laugh. "We're friends. It was my team vs. his team and we were trying to get the win."

http://my.nba.com/cms/indiana_pacers_blogs/caught_in_the_web/156469/focusing_on_defense_helping_grangers_all-around_play

I thought that that was a very interesting comment by Jim about Danny. Is 2nd team defense out of the question? I think that it is a reach, but if he builds the reputation and makes the Playoffs I don't think that 2nd team defense is really all that much of an impossible feat.

His competition is LeBron James, Gerald Wallace, Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, Andre Igoudala, Thabo Sefelosha, and Shane Battier. So my question to you guys is, is this a realistic goal considering the talent that he has?

And, don't you think that this is great that he is now putting pride into his defense as well as driving to the basket?

Infinite MAN_force
11-19-2010, 11:18 PM
He sure has looked like an All-Defensive teamer the last couple of games. I sure hope he sustains it.

If he makes it or not will probably depend on team success. I don't really care if he makes it, I just want him to keep playing defense like this.

imawhat
11-19-2010, 11:22 PM
I love the way Danny is playing right now. He's been great in the last week. Making defensive first or second team makes Danny one of the best players in the league.

BringJackBack
11-19-2010, 11:23 PM
With all that has been said about Danny's defense the past two days, I must say that he needs to keep this up all year and not just a couple of games. And especially don't quit playing defense because we start losing.

But I do think that this is possible assuming that Thabo and Shane won't make it while AI's team sucks, Kobe is getting older and not as quick on defense (that's a myth, don't take my word for it), while players like Gerald, James, and Danny are the defensive guys of the future I suppose. If Danny can keep it up.

Trader Joe
11-19-2010, 11:24 PM
Look if Danny makes first or second team all defense while averaging 22, 6, 3. He's one of the top 10 players in the league IMO, that would be pretty incredible. I just hope he keeps doing what he's doing now.

Kaufman
11-19-2010, 11:28 PM
I'm not a statistician or accounting mathematician, but I would love it if someone later in the season could compare Danny's numbers against teams with summer teammates vs. all others just to see if he is a bit more competitive with those guys.

IndyPacer
11-19-2010, 11:52 PM
I've been hoping for years this would happen. O'Brien's style has been to gamble on 3s so often, which will lead to inconsistent team play (great when the shots fall; blown out when they don't). Consistent defense adds a great deal of stability. You generally don't see a team "go cold" defensively if they are persistent with it the way you can get streaky shooting. Opponents will always dread playing tough defensive teams. Contrary to what some may think, we have the personnel to dramatically improve this team's defense if they get dedicated to the cause. We've added some nice defenders since the early Murphleavy days. Granger is certainly capable of doing more defensively than he's shown in recent years, and he's proving that now.

pwee31
11-20-2010, 12:04 AM
I hope they put Danny on Vince Carter tomorrow. He got hot against the Pacers in that preseason game. Contain him and I think we'll have a good shot

gummy
11-20-2010, 12:09 AM
I love that Danny has re-dedicated himself to the defensive end (and that our offense has shifted just enough to make this easier for him to do). If he can keep up the intensity on defense for much of the season he might be able to snag a second team mention. I think Rush may get a mention on an All-Defensive team too in the next season or two. It's sooo nice to have two swing men with defensive ability and versatility (I'm not forgetting about DJones, I just don't think he is quite as good on the defensive end as Granger and Rush - he's got the will but not as many physical tools).

The thought of Granger-Rush on the defensive perimeter plus Hibbert in the middle makes me pretty happy. We finally have several players talented enough, invested enough and focused enough to play good defense - seems like it's been a long time since we've been able to say that.

Will Galen
11-20-2010, 12:10 AM
I'm not a statistician or accounting mathematician, but I would love it if someone later in the season could compare Danny's numbers against teams with summer teammates vs. all others just to see if he is a bit more competitive with those guys.

Who are you most competitive with? Either your friends or someone you really dislike. Seems to reason most teammates are also friends, so I think Danny's numbers will be up against those guys.

I think what really lite the fire under him defensively is not getting to play much during the world championships because he didn't play good enough defense for coach K.

If he makes an all defensive team then he can say, "I can play good defense."

Scot Pollard
11-20-2010, 12:13 AM
im proud we have danny

someone who is turning his game into a top 10 player in the nba

danny granger = pacer 4 life (just like reggie)

BringJackBack
11-20-2010, 12:15 AM
Right now, as much as I hate to say it as it sounds harsh, I don't want to see Mike Dunleavy play. It's time to turn the page on TJ, Mike, Troy, Jermaine, Harrison, Rasho, and Stephen Graham days. Everyone has improved their game and we just don't need a player that can't win at the professional level unless he plays spot minutes. And this is coming from someone who doesn't spend every second of my time trying to bash Mike. He just doesn't bring anything to the table that Rush can't bring. I thought that Rush was going to have another crapper season, and while he hasn't been very good, he hasn't been nearly as bad as I thought he'd be.

I just remembered that he is on the team and I just remembered that that starting shooting guard spot is almost a lock. It's time to have competitors be given the minutes and we need players that will bring it in the Playoffs.

Again, it is just time to turn the page of mediocrity and cap hell. We now have I believe $33 million in cap space in the summer along with Danny, Roy, Darren, George, Rush, AJ, Stephenson, Tyler, and Josh. We just need Danny, Roy, Darren, and George to get that much better while bringing in an impact power forward and a veteran shooting guard who can start if George isn't ready next year. Bring in a coach who believes in common sense who can let Darren and Roy especially put up big numbers.

Let me point out one more thing: Darren is extremely good for a 2nd year player. He is averaging 15 points and he's somewhat struggled so far and he is 23 years old and he's a sophomore. If we hook him up with a system that can put him up big numbers I think on some down year where one of Wall, Rose, or Rondo don't make it I think that he is next in line for All-Stars (that's in a year or two).

To conclude, my point is that Danny has taken that next step to be a leader, somewhat of a facilitator, and a defender. Roy has put in incredible work every offseason. I can go on and on but the point is that we just need to give the minutes to Rush and George because they are hungry for competition and Mike isn't all that competitive. I know that some will say that Mike helps us win more but to counter that I will point out that Rush and Mike are almost the same players on offense nowadays and Brandon has defense. I was hoping that Mike would facilitate this year, but he has been a chucker. We don't need anymore corruption.

croz24
11-20-2010, 12:22 AM
don't think there's any chance whatsoever of danny making an all-defensive team with job as his coach.

BlueNGold
11-20-2010, 12:25 AM
Right now, as much as I hate to say it as it sounds harsh, I don't want to see Mike Dunleavy play. It's time to turn the page on TJ, Mike, Troy, Jermaine, Harrison, Rasho, and Stephen Graham days. Everyone has improved their game and we just don't need a player that can't win at the professional level unless he plays spot minutes. And this is coming from someone who doesn't spend every second of my time trying to bash Mike. He just doesn't bring anything to the table that Rush can't bring. I thought that Rush was going to have another crapper season, and while he hasn't been very good, he hasn't been nearly as bad as I thought he'd be.

I just remembered that he is on the team and I just remembered that that starting shooting guard spot is almost a lock. It's time to have competitors be given the minutes and we need players that will bring it in the Playoffs.

A few years ago, Mike was better than this year's version of Brandon Rush. That is no longer true. He is probably worthy of backing up Brandon. There are two sides to the court...and one of them requires defense.

Scot Pollard
11-20-2010, 12:31 AM
don't think there's any chance whatsoever of danny making an all-defensive team with job as his coach.

i dont think danny will let him stand in his way

look how good his defense has been

i doubt obrien helped him improve that it was all him and im sure he got some help from the his teammates