PDA

View Full Version : Ben Wallace recovering after emergency appendectomy

blanket
08-26-2004, 05:19 PM
Sloooowwww day....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1868412

Ben Wallace recovering after emergency appendectomy

Associated Press
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- Detroit Pistons center Ben Wallace had an emergency appendectomy and was recovering Thursday.

Wallace underwent surgery Wednesday night for acute appendicitis at Virginia Commonwealth University Hospital in Richmond, Va. Team doctor Ben Paolucci said Wallace is doing well and is expected to be discharged Friday or Saturday.

The 6-foot-9 center for the NBA champions is expected to return for the beginning of training camp Oct. 4.

Wallace is a two-time Defensive Player of the Year. He was on the All-NBA second team and Eastern Conference All-Star team for a second straight time last season. Wallace averaged 10.3 points, 14.3 rebounds and 2.4 blocks for the Pistons in the postseason.

Wallace's alma mater, Virginia Union, is in Richmond, and the big man has been playing in a pro-am league in the Virginia capital this summer.

TMJ31
08-26-2004, 05:26 PM
I had one of these last summer, its no big deal..

I was playing golf and surfing 3 days after i got outta the hospital.

hopefully though he will have complications!

(sorry Kstat)

Kegboy
08-26-2004, 05:46 PM
Well, maybe it's a good thing he turned down the olympic team. Hate to have to go to a Greek hospital for that.

sweabs
08-26-2004, 07:09 PM
Well, maybe it's a good thing he turned down the olympic team. Hate to have to go to a Greek hospital for that.

Not to mention...the Greek food!

Destined4Greatness
08-26-2004, 08:33 PM
To whoever said that 3 days later they were surfing you are a liar or a moron.

Hicks
08-26-2004, 09:02 PM
To whoever said that 3 days later they were surfing you are a liar or a moron.

If you can't be respectful to others when you post... don't bother.

Anthem
08-26-2004, 11:48 PM
I don't think that's a lie... removing an appendix is usually an outpatient surgery. Golf might be a bit much (lots of pull on the stitches) but I doubt surfing would be that big of a deal.

Of course, appendicitis can kill you, too. So I suppose it all depends on how bad his appendix was.

Does anybody know why, exactly, an inflamed appendix can kill you? I've never understood that.

Destined4Greatness
08-26-2004, 11:53 PM
I have had my appendix out. It is not out patient. And they were very specific. Don't be to hard on it, or you could rip your stitches. It kills you by realeasing infected materical into your pelvic(I Think) cavity.

Kstat
08-27-2004, 12:14 AM
I had one of these last summer, its no big deal..

I was playing golf and surfing 3 days after i got outta the hospital.

hopefully though he will have complications!

(sorry Kstat)

I know you were joking, but complications from appendectomy can be fatal. I don't really hope for other players to get injured, anyway.

TheSauceMaster
08-27-2004, 12:19 AM
Although I don't Like Detriot , obvious reasons glad they caught it in time and all that goodie stuff.

Get Better BIG BEN :)

SoupIsGood
08-27-2004, 12:28 AM
Get better ben.

I like when we play Detoit, they're a fun team to play.

B-B-B-Ben Wallace!!

Hicks
08-27-2004, 12:30 AM
All I ask is this makes him wince when he goes to block JO's shot.

:cool:

ROCislandWarrior
08-27-2004, 01:56 AM
All I ask is this makes him wince when he goes to block JO's shot.

:cool:

:laugh:

Harmless Enough