PDA

View Full Version : Are the scalpers at Conseco trustworthy?

smj887
11-18-2010, 11:48 PM
Probably a bonehead question, but I just want to ask and see if anyone's had any experience buying from the scalpers outside Conseco. I was talking to one earlier and asked if he had anything better than the tickets I had (sec 6 row 15). He said he had courtside/floor tickets, I asked him how much he'd want in a trade. He said $80 and my tickets for the ones he had. It seemed like a hell of a deal, but he had to go get them from someone else and it was freezing so we just went inside and kept ours.

I'm going back for the upcoming Orlando and Cleveland games, I've got similar tickets to both. My question is, if I find someone willing to do a trade, does anyone know how trustworthy they are? Anyone ever gotten ripped off by one? I'm just weary to it since I've never bought from one before. Is there any way to verify the authenticity? I thought of just having them head in with us then paying once they checked out, but I imagine that'd be looked at as rude.

Sorry for the lengthy post, just looking for information and if there's a better community for Pacers-related knowledge, I haven't found it.

BobbyMac
11-18-2010, 11:53 PM
I've never had any problems with any scalpers in Indy. However I have never had one go to another person for the tickets. I have bought many tickets from them.

Indra
11-19-2010, 08:01 AM
I've had that happen before where they have to get the tickets from someone else. A lot of times they're working in teams or whatever and the other guy has the tickets you're looking for.

duke dynamite
11-19-2010, 09:27 AM
These aren't the tickets you're looking for.

http://fit.bethlin.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/droids.jpg

Sollozzo
11-19-2010, 09:58 AM
How much business could they possibly be getting nowadays? Why would someone pay their marked up prices when you can get a cheap ticket at the door most nights? The only times I would think they would be making much is when the Lakers or Heat come to town.

Since86
11-19-2010, 12:28 PM
I've heard of a couple of stories where people got taken with fake tickets, but not as many as you'd think. And by couple, I do mean two, that I can think of off the top of my head.

Ticket scapling is actually a legal business in Indiana, so the shadiness of the deal goes down quite a bit from that right there.

I wouldn't hesitate, if the price was right, but I also echo what Adam said. Why scalpe when you can get tickets from the ticket window for cheap?

datguy
11-19-2010, 01:08 PM
I've bought scalped tickets a couple times. I got "taken" once and I say taken loosely because I was buying 2 tickets I thought were side by side but he only showed me the seat numbers..when I looked it was in two different rows and not piggy back either..I could have looked closer and realized this myself but it was the first time I bought from a scalper..lesson learned now I just look over the ticket before purchasing. And them getting them from another person isn't strange they have teams that work together, I see this happen all the time.

BillS
11-19-2010, 01:17 PM
When I was traveling from Atlanta for games I often went to the scalpers for seats and never had a problem. I've even used them recently for Colts playoff games, also not a problem.

Many of them actually have business cards and/or names you can check out for legitimacy, but as Since86 said, since it is legal the good ones have a vested interest in driving out the frauds so it isn't much of a problem.

Regarding why buy from the scalper - day of game ticket window prices are face value. The scalpers are very likely able to give you something for that or less, down to half (or lower if the game has started and they are desperate).

Bball
11-19-2010, 01:28 PM
It's a buyer's market on the street for tickets to almost any Pacer game. The scalpers don't necessarily always pay face value themselves so they might not be driven to sell at or above face value. And it's always better to get something from a ticket than nothing so sometimes the scalpers are just looking to cut their losses. It's not like if a ticket doesn't sell there's always another day. The ticket's value is nothing once the final buzzer sounds on the game.

redfoster
11-19-2010, 01:33 PM
I bought from scalpers all the time last season and they were fine. If they have to go get tickets from someone else, it is because they work together and the other guy just has the tickets. This is not a warning sign that they are ripping you off.

And as for using scalpers instead of the box office: You can easily talk the scalpers down and haggle with them. I got some lower level tickets last year for $20/each right before the game started that would have cost me tons more at the box office.

The Big Smooth
11-19-2010, 01:58 PM
I'm not sure if I've ever posted, I'll find out when I do post this....but...

I attend about 25-30 games each season, and scalp tickets every time. For the Nuggets game I sat in row 12 center court for $30. They were $160 tickets I believe.

I'm debating whether I should be giving away the secret or not, as it just makes more competition for me when I get tickets.

Rule #1
Be willing to miss tipoff.
This is the best time to scalp a ticket. Its always the same group of guys, and they work together. Once tip is near, and there are few people outside, the scalpers just want to get rid of their tickets for whatever they can. It makes much more sense for them to get a few bucks for a ticket than it does to hold onto the ticket and not sell it.

Rule #2
Act as if you don't care about the game.
El Pacero, if you were buying a ticket, you probably wouldn't want to be wearing your mask. This would tell the scalper that you are going to the game no matter what. So he has the upper hand. Sometimes a scalper will be nice and chat you up, if they ask what you are doing or something like that respond with "I was just downtown for dinner and figured I would see if I could get some tickets to the game" Of course you really want to go to the game, but make the scalper think you don't care if you have to watch it from a bar.

Rule #3
NEVER TELL THEM HOW MUCH YOU ARE WILLING TO SPEND
They will always ask you this. You ask what they have, they respond "how much are you looking to spend?" Tell them you dont have much. Never pull out your wallet until you have agreed on a price. If they see that you have a $100 bill, they are going to do whatever they can to get that $100.

Rule #4
Low ball your offer.
If the scalper shows you a $100 ticket, offer him $20 for it. If its late enough, they will accept. If not, you have plenty of room to negotiate to what you want to spend. I've once sat in the 3rd row for $25.

Rule #5
Remember that they are usually working together.
I get this alot, I'll find a scalper and then get surrounded by other scalpers. These guys are usually working together, so they split their profits. If I were buying an appliance, I would usually stick with the salesman that first helped me instead of switching to another salesman so he can steal the commission. But these guys are sharing, don't feel bad taking a better deal from someone else.

Be confident. It may sound silly, but these scalpers are masters at body language. They can tell if you arent sure what you are doing, and will try to take advantage of you.

I've never paid over face value for a pacer ticket. However, I usually don't go to the big games. I doubt you can get these deals against the Lakers or Heat. But, you can still find something by following my guidelines.

smj887
11-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I assumed they were working in teams, I just wasn't sure how reliable the scalpers are collectively.

Regarding paying scalpers' markup, it does definitely seem like a buyer's market just based on when I've talked to them before, and the price the guy was gonna give me last night seemed more than fair. I would've been trading two lower level tickets from stubhub that cost me a total of $45 plus $80 for two courtside/floor tickets. A total cost of $125 for two floor tickets seemed a LOT cheaper than box office.

pacer4ever
11-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I assumed they were working in teams, I just wasn't sure how reliable the scalpers are collectively.

Regarding paying scalpers' markup, it does definitely seem like a buyer's market just based on when I've talked to them before, and the price the guy was gonna give me last night seemed more than fair. I would've been trading two lower level tickets from stubhub that cost me a total of $45 plus $80 for two courtside/floor tickets. A total cost of $125 for two floor tickets seemed a LOT cheaper than box office.

courtside is 600 dollars right??

smj887
11-19-2010, 03:19 PM
No idea. The face value on my tickets was something in the $130-$150 range, so I don't think that's too much of a stretch.

joeyd
11-19-2010, 03:59 PM
[QUOTE

Low ball your offer.

They can tell if you arent sure what you are doing, and will try to take advantage of you.[/QUOTE]

I generally agree with what Big Smooth says, but have had some different experiences, all of them good and mutually beneficial. Wanted to comment on the above points. First point, if you are a regular attendee of the games, they know why you are there b/c they will recognize you. I don't try to hide that I want to go to the game. Even when they did not know me, it never seemed to make a difference, at least with the folks I've usually dealt with. Second point, I usually WILL tell them what I want to spend, but I usually indicate that if they cannot make it happen, then I cannot do business with them and will just have to buy the cheapest ticket at the box office. I find lowballing to be unnecessary in this case, where they know you will come back to them if you are treated right, and it just prolongs the procedure in this case. Point three, yes, some do work together but some don't, and some who don't work together may still try to help each other out. Just have to do your homework, but again, they want repeat customers, and generally treat repeat customers right. This leads into the last point---I usually go to the same one or two people. They recognize me and have given me some fantastic deals. I trust the the folks I've gone to. I think you just have to find the folks you trust.

SMosley21
11-19-2010, 04:12 PM
I've been taken 1 time. It was Jordan's last game with the Wizards and my buddy and I had never seen MJ live. We waited until right before tipoff and ended up paying $100 for 2 nosebleed seats. We got inside and the tickets had already been scanned so we could not get in. We ran back outside to try to find the scalper and they were all gone.

BringJackBack
11-19-2010, 04:43 PM
Well, this is going to sound stupid. What happens if you get a fake ticket and you go to get it scanned and it is fake? Do you get into any trouble, or do they just not let you in?

The Big Smooth
11-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Well, this is going to sound stupid. What happens if you get a fake ticket and you go to get it scanned and it is fake? Do you get into any trouble, or do they just not let you in?

Had this happen years ago at a Colts game. They just tell you its a fake. Most of the time the person using a fake ticket doesn't know it. They usually bought it online or from a scalper. When it happened to me, the ticket guy flagged down a police officer and we walked back to where I bought the ticket trying to find the guy. No luck.

smj887
11-19-2010, 05:26 PM
I've been taken 1 time. It was Jordan's last game with the Wizards and my buddy and I had never seen MJ live. We waited until right before tipoff and ended up paying $100 for 2 nosebleed seats. We got inside and the tickets had already been scanned so we could not get in. We ran back outside to try to find the scalper and they were all gone.

That's what worries me, is that I'll give up my tickets that I already have, along with cash, for fake tickets. I like to think I'd know better, but truth is I have no idea what's different about a fake ticket or how to tell.

Thought about if I find a scalper willing to do a trade at one of the next games, having him just go up to where they get scanned and once his get checked out, completing the deal. But wasn't sure if there'd be some etiquette to it where that just makes me look like an ***.

EDIT: Big Smooth, just saw the post, I missed it before - Thanks.

beast23
11-19-2010, 05:57 PM
If you are going to the game alone, scalping is the absolute best way to get a good seat at a very reasonable price. Each scalper will have a few "singles" and those are the hardest for them to get rid of.

When going after a single, I have never had a problem sit mid-court in Club level for $30 or less. And, I have never had a problem sitting mid-court in Founder's level for $50 or less. As has been mentioned, if it is right at tip-off or shortly after, these same tickets (singles) can usually be had for more like $20 and $40.

Lord Helmet
11-19-2010, 07:34 PM
I'm not sure if I've ever posted, I'll find out when I do post this....but...

I attend about 25-30 games each season, and scalp tickets every time. For the Nuggets game I sat in row 12 center court for $30. They were $160 tickets I believe.

I'm debating whether I should be giving away the secret or not, as it just makes more competition for me when I get tickets.

Rule #1
Be willing to miss tipoff.
This is the best time to scalp a ticket. Its always the same group of guys, and they work together. Once tip is near, and there are few people outside, the scalpers just want to get rid of their tickets for whatever they can. It makes much more sense for them to get a few bucks for a ticket than it does to hold onto the ticket and not sell it.

Rule #2
El Pacero, if you were buying a ticket, you probably wouldn't want to be wearing your mask. This would tell the scalper that you are going to the game no matter what. So he has the upper hand. Sometimes a scalper will be nice and chat you up, if they ask what you are doing or something like that respond with "I was just downtown for dinner and figured I would see if I could get some tickets to the game" Of course you really want to go to the game, but make the scalper think you don't care if you have to watch it from a bar.

Rule #3
They will always ask you this. You ask what they have, they respond "how much are you looking to spend?" Tell them you dont have much. Never pull out your wallet until you have agreed on a price. If they see that you have a $100 bill, they are going to do whatever they can to get that $100.

Rule #4
Low ball your offer.
If the scalper shows you a $100 ticket, offer him $20 for it. If its late enough, they will accept. If not, you have plenty of room to negotiate to what you want to spend. I've once sat in the 3rd row for $25.

Rule #5
I get this alot, I'll find a scalper and then get surrounded by other scalpers. These guys are usually working together, so they split their profits. If I were buying an appliance, I would usually stick with the salesman that first helped me instead of switching to another salesman so he can steal the commission. But these guys are sharing, don't feel bad taking a better deal from someone else.

Be confident. It may sound silly, but these scalpers are masters at body language. They can tell if you arent sure what you are doing, and will try to take advantage of you.

I've never paid over face value for a pacer ticket. However, I usually don't go to the big games. I doubt you can get these deals against the Lakers or Heat. But, you can still find something by following my guidelines.
Perfect tips.

Another would be to maybe walk away from the tickets, even if you are partially interested. They will come back to you, or they won't let you leave in the first place.

My Dad is pretty damn good at dealing with them, and I'd say for 90% of the games we've went to we've gotten really good deals when dealing with scalpers for both the Colts and Pacers.

smj887
11-21-2010, 12:39 AM
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who responded. Ended up trading our tickets in section 2 row 21 for + $100 for 2 baseline courtside seats. We only paid $40/ticket for the first ones so total investment was around $180. Awesome game even though they couldn't pull out the win.

ndcoltsnpacers
11-21-2010, 01:29 AM
That's what worries me, is that I'll give up my tickets that I already have, along with cash, for fake tickets. I like to think I'd know better, but truth is I have no idea what's different about a fake ticket or how to tell.

Thought about if I find a scalper willing to do a trade at one of the next games, having him just go up to where they get scanned and once his get checked out, completing the deal. But wasn't sure if there'd be some etiquette to it where that just makes me look like an ***.

EDIT: Big Smooth, just saw the post, I missed it before - Thanks.

You will definitely not find a scalper who will go inside with you or something like that. Actually they have rules about how close they can stand to the fieldhouse. There seems to be a constant "turf battle" going on between the scalpers out front and Conseco's outside security. They have to tell the scalpers to get back sometimes but it always ends in some laughs. A lot of great points already made but I'll add my own. Since attendance is crap, you can really get in some nice seats cheap through scalpers. I've never once been ripped off, BUT you do HAVE to read the tickets you're buying!!! This is so important. I don't think scalpers are trying to sell you two totally different tickets on purpose but I've been really close to having it happen a couple times. Read the date and the seats, to eliminate any mistakes and don't get overly offended if a guy makes a mistake. Usually what I do when I go with my buddies is walk up and ask the guy what his cheapest tickets are. They're usually in the $5-$15 range these past couple years. We've preplanned how much we intend to spend at this point and loaded our wallets accordingly so that when we get them out we only have a $5 or a $10 sitting there (or some combination of that between the few of us). So the guy says "$45 for these 3 tickets" we say "all we can give you is 15" while looking totally ready to walk away to the next guy. Face value is generally $20 or $30 for their cheapest buys it seems like. Then we move down to the lower bowl because it's only half full. Boom, lower level seats for $5.

Oh and it also helps a ton to know the layout at Conseco, like which sections are midcourt and what not. And as was mentioned, expect to pay more for games against more popular teams, you know who they are.

ApNeDtRiEeW
11-21-2010, 02:18 AM
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who responded. Ended up trading our tickets in section 2 row 21 for + $100 for 2 baseline courtside seats. We only paid $40/ticket for the first ones so total investment was around $180. Awesome game even though they couldn't pull out the win.

My buddy and I bought those tickets tonight! Seats 7/8 or 8/9 right? Haha small world, we paid $30 apiece for them.