PDA

View Full Version : Why Aren't the Pacers making moves!

King Phoenix
11-19-2010, 12:33 AM
I mean our biggest weakness is clearly our frontcourt! And there is three guys floating around that we can get and were not hearing anything about us even making calls! To be honest I believe you can't have too many big men! Go get Thompson, Love, and Smith before there off the market! Three guys under 25 who are very good and can be used in more than one position, Smith especially, and nothing! Smith can be the superstar we need to get some pressure off Granger, give us defense, and utilize Hibberts passing skills! Come on Bird! Thompson gives us depth at center and power forward and is used to playing in the Big Man Conference (West)! And Love besides having the name of a Bachelor does something else that Hansbrough and McRoberts can't do....score inside, play hard, and rebound efficiently! I'll be going after all three and see if I can pry Iguodala out of Philly! With a contract readjustment of course I mean his contracts horrible! But come on....am I the only feeling like this!

Dr. Awesome
11-19-2010, 12:35 AM
You make the NBA sound like a game of 2K11. Its not that easy to make a trade to better your team.

pwee31
11-19-2010, 12:35 AM
:hmm:

Kaufman
11-19-2010, 12:36 AM
dude. its too late at night for all the exclamation marks.

Day-V
11-19-2010, 12:41 AM
I mean our biggest weakness is clearly our frontcourt! And there is three guys floating around that we can get and were not hearing anything about us even making calls! To be honest I believe you can't have too many big men! Go get Thompson, Love, and Smith before there off the market! Three guys under 25 who are very good and can be used in more than one position, Smith especially, and nothing! Smith can be the superstar we need to get some pressure off Granger, give us defense, and utilize Hibberts passing skills! Come on Bird! Thompson gives us depth at center and power forward and is used to playing in the Big Man Conference (West)! And Love besides having the name of a Bachelor does something else that Hansbrough and McRoberts can't do....score inside, play hard, and rebound efficiently! I'll be going after all three and see if I can pry Iguodala out of Philly! With a contract readjustment of course I mean his contracts horrible! But come on....am I the only feeling like this!

:point:

BringJackBack
11-19-2010, 12:41 AM
Patience. If we rush, we'll be stuck with Shaun Livingston or Jordan Farmar instead of Darren Collison or Ty Lawson.. oh wait, we're talking about bigs...

We're 5-5 and I think we have plenty of time to figure all of this out. We have four total draft picks over the next two years. If we don't have time to develop that player- which we do- we can always go after Carl Landry, Zach Randolph, Jeff Green, or Greg Oden. If we don't want to overpay, we can wait for a trade to come up in the summer and trade our first round pick (since we have capspace to take on a contract), and trade it for that player. For example, Chris Kaman, Josh Smith, or Antawn Jamison (no to Antawn).

We can also trade a pick and a piece for a young player. For example of something that I would be for; trade our first and a young piece such as Lance Stephenson, Josh McRoberts, Tyler Hansbrough, or Brandon Rush for Serge Ibaka. Serge is a very talented player with a high ceiling and I would be all for picking him up.. other players we could do that with even though you can count me out on supporting it is: Jason Thompson, JJ Hickson, Anthony Randolph, or Ed Davis.

:twocents:

Pacerized
11-19-2010, 12:55 AM
If we're patient Bird might just pull another DC type trade and move an expiring contract or 2 for a big man with a longer contract who is actually worth the money. The Clippers are a prime target for a trade the with the way they've started the season. Griffin is off limits but a trade for Kaman and Davis is very possible. There are lots of other possibilities with teams that may look to reduce payroll. I don't expect anything to happen until near the trade deadline though.

spazzxb
11-19-2010, 01:02 AM
You make the NBA sound like a game of 2K11. Its not that easy to make a trade to better your team.

You can't renegotiate contracts in NBA 2k.

ilive4sports
11-19-2010, 01:02 AM
Whats the rush? We are 10 games into the season. A lot of teams aren't really thinking trade right now. Most likely a deal that's worth being made, won't happen til closer to the deadline.

Jon Theodore
11-19-2010, 01:19 AM
I'd be tempted to offer Collison/George or Hansbrough to the Hawks for Josh Smith I think the Hawks would really have to consider that trade offer, I also believe Price/Ford is a good enough PG tandem, especially if Ford can keep up his level of play this year.

Can you imagine a starting five of

Price, Rush, Granger, Josh Smith, Hibbert

Talk about DEFENSE! Someone call Bird.

judicata
11-19-2010, 02:38 AM
I see us making a move packaging Rush + Foster or Dunleavy + Tyler. The first set gets us a new starting 2, the second set gets us a new starting 4.

Sookie
11-19-2010, 02:43 AM
I'd be tempted to offer Collison/George or Hansbrough to the Hawks for Josh Smith I think the Hawks would really have to consider that trade offer, I also believe Price/Ford is a good enough PG tandem, especially if Ford can keep up his level of play this year.

You can't trade Collison.

Ford's not staying here, and Collison and Price are very young.

I want to see that duo play, because I think they'll end up covering for each other (If Collison's playing poorly, Price will have a good game and vice versa) They also have skillsets that compliment each other as a good young PG tandem. We're lucky we have them both, so lets keep them..

Trophy
11-19-2010, 08:59 AM

No way would we trade DC.

ballism
11-19-2010, 10:17 AM
If we're patient Bird might just pull another DC type trade and move an expiring contract or 2 for a big man with a longer contract who is actually worth the money. The Clippers are a prime target for a trade the with the way they've started the season. Griffin is off limits but a trade for Kaman and Davis is very possible. There are lots of other possibilities with teams that may look to reduce payroll. I don't expect anything to happen until near the trade deadline though.

Tbh, I wouldn't mind us getting Kaman. He misses quite a few games - which makes him kind of overpayed, but he has only 2 years left, and he'll be only 30 by then - so he shouldn't get any worse for the duration of the contract. And he puts us at 46 mil salaries next summer, which should still be enough to hunt a few free agents.

I don't know what the asking price is now after his All Star season, but before last year he was supposedly avaible for expirings. Clippers are high on DeAndre Jordan/Griffin frontline, so maybe that's still the case. If we can get him for Dunleavy, I'd absolutely love it.

We add one additional year of salary, and have probably the best backup C in the league for 2 years. He could probably even play a bit of 4 with Hibbert against slow-ish frontlines like Shaq/Baby Davis, Milicic/Love, Yao/Scola, Zach Randolph/Marc Gasol, Bynum/Pau, Okur/Jefferson, maybe even Gortat/Howard on Orlando, since they tend to play those two together for a bit.

PacerHound
11-19-2010, 10:58 AM

What? Did I hear this right? Did you say, "And Love besides having the name of a Bachelor does something else that Hansbrough and McRoberts can't do....score inside, play hard, and rebound efficiently!"

Tyler cannot and does not play hard? He can't score inside or rebound? Better look his shooting percentage up and wonder why a few plays are not called for him posted up down low. If he doesn't score he gets his own rebound and gets fouled. I think he had 8 rebounds in 20 minutes last night. We evidently are seeing two different players.:crazy:

MillerTime
11-19-2010, 10:59 AM

I dont think Hawks would want DC...They have a lot riding on Teague.

I dont think Pacers would want to trade DC either

naptownmenace
11-19-2010, 11:02 AM
Teams don't usually make any trades during November and you can't trade players that were signed over the summer until after December 15th. After December 15th you might see some movement but it's not easy to make a trade without giving up some young talent or future draft picks.

I don't see the Pacers wanting to sacrifice their young talent or their upcoming cap space by giving up their players on expiring contracts. In other words, don't expect the Pacers to make any trades this season.

Brad8888
11-19-2010, 11:14 AM
I don't think the Pacers are interested in making any moves right now unless they are complete no-brainer steals. The value of the expiring contracts are all increasing on a daily basis due to teams wanting to dump salary prior to the end of the current CBA.

That said, the other sides of possible trades recognize that after the trade deadline passes, those expirings no longer have any more value than simply their expiration, so as the actual deadline approaches there will be a desire on the part of the Pacers to make whatever moves they can to acquire talent with them while they still can without having to enter the uncertainty of the free agent market during the CBA negotiations and looming lockout for next season.

So, in my view, the values of the expirings will peak in mid to late January, which would be the most likely time for any possible moves to be made.

IndyPacer
11-19-2010, 12:08 PM

Trade away the point guard we (wisely) waited ages to get acquired in a robbery of a deal plus more key young talent? Count me out, and I'm a defensive nut.

Jon Theodore
11-19-2010, 12:43 PM
You guys are right what was I thinking....we could probably trade Ford/Posey for Josh Smith that is a real fair deal.

duke dynamite
11-19-2010, 12:47 PM
10 games into the season and you guys are talking about trading the ONE GUY that Bird and Morway have had their eyes on for a while...and finally got him.

Shame on you.

DC is our guy. He is the future of this team.

I don't see us doing a Mark Jackson for Jalen Rose, then Vincent Askew and Eddie Johnson for Jackson back-type situation, either.

Jon Theodore
11-19-2010, 05:00 PM
I like Collison, but when people are throwing around the name Josh Smith, who I think would be a great addition to this team. We aren't going to get Josh Smith for peanuts or players we don't want. I think Price makes Collison more expendable than our other assets (Granger, Hibbert, Hansbrough, George) and with Bibby not getting younger you figure Collison/Teague would be an excellent PG tandem for the Hawks and like I said...they might not pull the trigger but they would certainly consider it (that is assuming they are wanting to move Josh Smith).

I'd love to get Josh Smith for Foster/Ford or something ridiculous but it's not gonna happen. I am all for people criticizing my proposed trade, but I'd like to see an alternative idea that actually makes sense.

beast23
11-19-2010, 06:26 PM
I like Collison, but when people are throwing around the name Josh Smith, who I think would be a great addition to this team. We aren't going to get Josh Smith for peanuts or players we don't want. I think Price makes Collison more expendable than our other assets (Granger, Hibbert, Hansbrough, George) and with Bibby not getting younger you figure Collison/Teague would be an excellent PG tandem for the Hawks and like I said...they might not pull the trigger but they would certainly consider it (that is assuming they are wanting to move Josh Smith).

I'd love to get Josh Smith for Foster/Ford or something ridiculous but it's not gonna happen. I am all for people criticizing my proposed trade, but I'd like to see an alternative idea that actually makes sense.I'm sorry, but I think that logic is severely flawed. It has been 10 years since the Pacers have had a true point guard that works within their system. A good PG that fits your system and a center that gives you what you want/need are the two hardest things to find in this league. You would have to think long and hard before sacrificing either one to fill a need at another position.

I would agree with anyone who believes that Collison and Price look like they make a fine tandem. But there should be no mistake regarding who the starter is and who the backup is. That pecking order is not likely to change.... ever.

If the Pacers were to acquire Smith, and I'm not convinced they should even go after him, they should involve players not named Granger, Hibbert and Collison. Otherwise, acquiring Smith would be a rather hollow acquisition.

NapTonius Monk
11-19-2010, 06:30 PM

More like:

http://www.thesocialcentre.com/images/kramer2.jpg

King Phoenix
11-19-2010, 06:34 PM
What? Did I hear this right? Did you say, "And Love besides having the name of a Bachelor does something else that Hansbrough and McRoberts can't do....score inside, play hard, and rebound efficiently!"

Tyler cannot and does not play hard? He can't score inside or rebound? Better look his shooting percentage up and wonder why a few plays are not called for him posted up down low. If he doesn't score he gets his own rebound and gets fouled. I think he had 8 rebounds in 20 minutes last night. We evidently are seeing two different players.:crazy:

No he does but he's not starter material and he his injuries are random and weird!

xBulletproof
11-19-2010, 06:42 PM
No he does but he's not starter material and he his injuries are random and weird!

Isn't it nice when someone comes on here and purposely acts silly to try to get under peoples skin? Between the OP and this, it's pretty obvious.

Gives me a chance to use ignore. Love it.

Jon Theodore
11-19-2010, 08:14 PM
I'm sorry, but I think that logic is severely flawed. It has been 10 years since the Pacers have had a true point guard that works within their system. A good PG that fits your system and a center that gives you what you want/need are the two hardest things to find in this league. You would have to think long and hard before sacrificing either one to fill a need at another position.

I would agree with anyone who believes that Collison and Price look like they make a fine tandem. But there should be no mistake regarding who the starter is and who the backup is. That pecking order is not likely to change.... ever.

If the Pacers were to acquire Smith, and I'm not convinced they should even go after him, they should involve players not named Granger, Hibbert and Collison. Otherwise, acquiring Smith would be a rather hollow acquisition.

Please highlight the part of my post that was "flawed logic." Was it the part about Atlanta not giving away Josh Smith for our trash? OR the part that if we involved Collison they might consider the trade? I think by flawed logic you may have meant that you just disagree, which is fine.

I am well aware trading Collison is not a popular idea and I am not even saying I think it's a great idea(I do like a front line of Hibbert, Smith, and Granger), all I did was propose a reasonable trade for Josh Smith that the Hawks might actually go for. Again, I am yet to see anybody make a similar proposal without Collison....I wait with baited breath.

Also, call me in two years about Price and Collison...I am not saying I guarantee Price will be the starter but it is definitely not out of the realm of possibility.

beast23
11-19-2010, 09:47 PM
My apologies. To state that the logic you used was "flawed" was indeed brash and incorrect. It is true that I disagree.

Let me merely state that for the reasons mentioned in the original post, I think that a trade that would leave us without Collison would be ill-advised... at least for now.

That's not to say that we should never be open to trading Collison; but simply I don't think it would be advisable unless a player like say Kirk Heinrich, falls into our laps first. Now that after so many years we finally have a PG that has the skills we need and looks to be a long-term solution, it just wouldn't be wise at all to part with that PG until one of equal or greater match is on the roster.

And if that means we lose out on Josh Smith, then I'm all for it. We just look for the next candidate after Smith that doesn't require us to sacrifice one of our major pieces.

Day-V
11-19-2010, 10:51 PM

I said no such thing.

jeffg-body
11-20-2010, 12:39 AM
It would be a little stupid to make a move just for the sake of doing it. If an opportunity arises to where we can get better I would be ok with it then. But why do something stupid and take on extra salary at this point for marginally better talent.