PDA

View Full Version : Why no love for Dahanty and Paul?

90'sNBARocked
11-18-2010, 02:05 PM
I dont have a long winded response here but as I watched Dahanty and Paul the other night I just thought to myself why do they not deserve playing time?

I do not understand why Jim seems to hate Dahanty so much (of course people will say because of his lack of 3pt shooting). Dahanty was having a good start to the season last year when given playing time. He had a career high in points per game. He doesnt shot the 3 well, but he can attack the rim and shot free throws which is something I think we desperatley need. Jim likes veterans, but Dahanty cant even see the floor. If we had a solid rotation and were wining more than losing I could understand, but that is not the case.

Paul , on the other hand, has played well enough to se a good ammount of time , prior to Rush returing. I know I am not at the practices but I have a hard time beliving he is not focusing or there is some dramatic difference between the way Paul practiced during the games he played in vs the way he practiced when Brandon came back. I think Paul needs at least 10 minutes a game and Jim talked about wanting to cut Grangers minutes down.

So why not play Dahanty and Paul some?

vnzla81
11-18-2010, 02:09 PM
Because one guy can't shoot the three and the other guy doesn't have a high basketball IQ

cdash
11-18-2010, 02:21 PM
There's only so many minutes to go around. Can't please everyone.

Hicks
11-18-2010, 02:30 PM
and the other guy doesn't have a high basketball IQ

I think that's being awfully premature.

And have you already forgotten the statements about how the coaches only had to tell him things once during practices? Doesn't sound like a low bball IQ to me.

Speed
11-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Ball stops when D Jones gets it on offense. He's not Bruce Bowen on defense. Maybe a better way to put it is I was over sold on Dahntays defense.

Paul is 20 and plays like it too often right now.

I'm for Paul George getting back in the rotation with an eye towards next year with his development.

As for D Jones, I'm not sure who he'd play instead of. If it's Rush, I personally don't think he's as good of a defender and doesn't have the defensive positional flexibility Brandon does. Meaning I don't think D Jones can guard bigger 3s or faster PGs at all, whereas Brandon can guard 2s and 3s pretty well.

I'd be okay with either playing if injuries happen, but honestly I think Danny, Dun, and BRush are your best options right now.

Unclebuck
11-18-2010, 02:31 PM
Because one guy can't shoot the three and the other guy doesn't have a high basketball IQ

Paul doesn't have a high bball IQ? I have never heard that. He's just young and very inexperienced. he's going to be good, I think

vnzla81
11-18-2010, 02:36 PM
I think that's being awfully premature.

And have you already forgotten the statements about how the coaches only had to tell him things once during practices? Doesn't sound like a low bball IQ to me.

Paul doesn't have a high bball IQ? I have never heard that. He's just young and very inexperienced. he's going to be good, I think

Guys that was supposed to be green :D

90'sNBARocked
11-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Isnt Dahanty one of the few , if any, Pacers that can take the ball strong to the hoop?

pacer4ever
11-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Isnt Dahanty one of the few , if any, Pacers that can take the ball strong to the hoop?

and paul too. But thoes arent good shots to jimmy a contested 3 is much better

90'sNBARocked
11-18-2010, 03:23 PM
yeah but the point is that we need players that can get to the rim when the team is not hitting jump shots

pacer4ever
11-18-2010, 03:29 PM
yeah but the point is that we need players that can get to the rim when the team is not hitting jump shots

thats what i was saying. Every good team plays inside out not the other way around.

90'sNBARocked
11-18-2010, 03:57 PM
thats what i was saying. Every good team plays inside out not the other way around.

Unfortunatley that is why we will continue to blow teams out, and also get blow out

I know I will get beat to death for suggesting this , but one of the big reasons i wanted to see Lance at least get a shot to play is I think his greatest strength is to take it to the rim. he is very strong for his age and I would love to see him get a chance

xBulletproof
11-18-2010, 04:06 PM
No idea what people see in Dahntay. He's a black hole. The ball goes in, and never comes back out. He can occasionally break down the defense, but more often than not he just breaks the offense. He isn't not playing because he can't shoot, he's not playing because he's a horrific offensive option. His defense is above average, but it's hard to cancel out that terrible offense he brings to the table. Denver had it right when they let him play defense, and just get out of the damn way on offense.

Trader Joe
11-18-2010, 04:17 PM
and paul too. But thoes arent good shots to jimmy a contested 3 is much better

Jones can take it to the hoop, but he can't pass or he won't pass. He's a black hole.

Paul needs to work on his ball handling much like Danny did. He dribbles way too far away from his body. Cristian Watford at IU, who is built similar to Paul, has the exact same problem. Once Paul figures that out he will be much better on offense.

Trader Joe
11-18-2010, 04:19 PM

Absolutely, but those guys also need to be able to pass out of tough situations, something Dahntay won't do. He's a bull in a china shop once he hits the paint.

Dun and Dahntay are frustrating in many ways, it'd be really nice if we could get a guy that was a blend of their two games.

90'sNBARocked
11-18-2010, 04:24 PM
Absolutely, but those guys also need to be able to pass out of tough situations, something Dahntay won't do. He's a bull in a china shop once he hits the paint.

Dun and Dahntay are frustrating in many ways, it'd be really nice if we could get a guy that was a blend of their two games.

I agree with your assenment on Dahanty, he can be reckless going to the whole but he is a big guard

Dun frustrartes the *&^% out of me. If he could just play any bit of defense

Sookie
11-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Anyone watch him closely in Denver? I keep wondering how much of a ball hog he would be if he didn't think it was necessary for him to score in order to stay on the court.

A rotation of Rush/Granger at SF, with Dahntay picking up the remaining minutes as a "defensive stopper" and someone who didn't feel he had to score, might be more useful than Dun.

But as I said, I don't know if that's Dahntay's game, or if Dahntay feels he has to be offensive minded to stay in the game, and that's the only way he knows how to score.

Trader Joe
11-18-2010, 04:34 PM
I think Dahntay got bit by the scoring bug last year during the infamous 5 game win streak and has since thought that was his best role for this team.

ChicagoJ
11-18-2010, 04:43 PM

Yes. He's a full-speed turnover just waiting to crash into the lane and start the opponent's fast break.

pacer4ever
11-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Yes. He's a full-speed turnover just waiting to crash into the lane and start the opponent's fast break.

ya that decribes TJ ford

ChicagoJ
11-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Anyone watch him closely in Denver? I keep wondering how much of a ball hog he would be if he didn't think it was necessary for him to score in order to stay on the court.

Ever wonder why George Karl only let him play 18, 19 MPG (9th on the team), but wanted him on the court with the starters, not the backups.

Sounds familiar to me...

ChicagoJ
11-18-2010, 04:46 PM
ya that decribes TJ ford

TJ doesn't crash into the lane to start the other team's fast break. He zips into the lane to start the other team's fast break.

And that, PD, is the difference between TJ and Dhantay on offense.

pacer4ever
11-18-2010, 04:50 PM

A rotation of Rush/Granger at SF, with Dahntay picking up the remaining minutes as a "defensive stopper" and someone who didn't feel he had to score, might be more useful than Dun.

But as I said, I don't know if that's Dahntay's game, or if Dahntay feels he has to be offensive minded to stay in the game, and that's the only way he knows how to score.

he played just like this in denver. The differnce is team like denver care about defense at the sg not scoring. I will give u an example OKC

Sefolosha #2 Guard

2010-11 Statistics
PPG 4.8 RPG 4.10 APG 1.7 EFF + 9.45 mins per game 27

this is thier starting SG top 5 defener in the NBA. BTW they have a great scorer off the bench in James Harden.

I wish JOB would do this with our team

Trophy
11-18-2010, 05:18 PM
he played just like this in denver. The differnce is team like denver care about defense at the sg not scoring. I will give u an example OKC

Sefolosha #2 Guard

2010-11 Statistics
PPG 4.8 RPG 4.10 APG 1.7 EFF + 9.45 mins per game 27

this is thier starting SG top 5 defener in the NBA. BTW they have a great scorer off the bench in James Harden.

I wish JOB would do this with our team

That's why I'd like to see Brandon, a really good defender as well as a good scorer starting and Mike, a good shooter backing him up.

Brandon also takes a load off of Danny on the defensive end.

pacer4ever
11-18-2010, 05:19 PM
That's why I'd like to see Brandon, a really good defender as well as a good scorer starting and Mike, a good shooter backing him up.

Brandon also takes a load off of Danny on the defensive end.

Bingo that what i have been saying but that is not JOBs style

90'sNBARocked
11-18-2010, 05:46 PM

Jay

Just cause the weather is shtty now, no need to be a grouch :)

Dahanty can still finish at the rim better than Rush or Hibbert for that matter

Sookie
11-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Ever wonder why George Karl only let him play 18, 19 MPG (9th on the team), but wanted him on the court with the starters, not the backups.

Sounds familiar to me...

Well, I'm only advocating playing him 18/19 minutes.

And I'll throw out that..he played that amount of minutes..and started..on a very good team.

The pacers are not too good to play him...(If he's playing how he should. If he's going to be a ball hog..)

PaceBalls
11-18-2010, 07:27 PM
I love Dahntay. I think he is a great defender, not just with skill but also in communicating and being a leader... he is great when not guarding guys stronger than him. If you try to put him on Lebron, Carmello, Artest and the like, he is going to fail horribly. Put him on players like Chauncey Billups, Jason Kid, Eric Gordon, those are the guys he can really frustrate on D and have a huge postive effect on the game.

On offense... Despite his lacking a good outside shot he has some great offensive tools. He is a great post up player against weaker defenders, I mean really good, he can abuse a mismatch. He can drive to hole really well and draw alot of fouls. He is more of a broken play kind of guy and I think Jim hates that with the position he plays. I don't mind it, I think you have to have someone who will create something out of nothing on the floor when the possession goes nowhere.

I'd rather see him out there instead of Mike Dunleavy everytime, but I don't know if I would want him ahead of Brandon. I'd like to see Paul and Dahntay backup the SG and SF duties. It is one of my top 5 reasons for disliking Jim really. Not just because he doesn't play Dahntay, but why he doesn't.

PaceBalls
11-18-2010, 07:31 PM
I think Dahntay got bit by the scoring bug last year during the infamous 5 game win streak and has since thought that was his best role for this team.

He was freakin awesom in that 5 game win streak. It wasn't just the scoring though, it was how he was the general on the floor.

Eleazar
11-18-2010, 08:20 PM
George defiantly deserves about 10 minutes in my opinion. He has the skills that when he is playing well he is as good of a SG as we have on the team. His only problem is that he is young, inexperienced, and inconsistent.

Jones on the other hand is just the odd man out. It isn't that he doesn't have the ability to be a productive member, it is just the way JOB coaches this team he is the odd man out. He is kind of the opposite of Dunleavy. Pretty good defender (although not as great as advertised), and has some offensive ability but not a lot. Likewise Dunealvy is a pretty good shooter, and is decently good at help defense.

Trader Joe
11-19-2010, 01:32 AM
Dahntay was the worst player to touch the floor tonight for the Pacers...by a large margin.

PR07
11-19-2010, 02:22 AM
i really like Dahntay's toughness and passion for the game. We could always use more of that. He is a bit of a black hole and can't shoot a three pointer, but he's a pretty solid defender and has kind of a playground offensive game. He shouldn't get a ton of minutes, but he should be a rotational player for us.