PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread: Team USA vs Spain: win or go home....

Kstat
08-26-2004, 03:25 AM
The game will be on at 730 am EST, on the USA channel.

Pau Gasol is the obvious superstar on Spain, but their team game is actually very similiar to the US, they work the ball inside, rather than shoot from the outside. I think this plays into our hands, and we should win this game.

Dunno who will actually be AWAKE at that ungodly hour, but I'll try to give some updates for those of you missing the game.

tora tora
08-26-2004, 04:23 AM
go USA! :apple:

Jerm
08-26-2004, 05:22 AM
Thanks for the heads-up Kstat. I didn't know it was going to be on.

p.s. Great avatar Charles Ingalls. :laugh:

BostonConnection
08-26-2004, 06:35 AM
Matchup Details:

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/athens/_common/_images/_flags/USA.gifUSA Roster
No  Pos   Player
4    G    Allen Iverson
5    G    Stephon Marbury
6    G    Dwyane Wade
7    F    Carlos Boozer
8    F    Carmelo Anthony
9    G    Lebron James
10   F/C  Emeka Okafor
11   F    Shawn Marion
12   C    Amare Stoudemire
13   F/C  Tim Duncan
14   F    Lamar Odom
15   F    Richard Jefferson

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/athens/_common/_images/_flags/ESP.gifSpain Roster
No  Pos   Player
4    F    Pau Gasol
5    F/C  Iker Iturbe
6    G    Jaume Comas
7    G    Juan Carlos Navarro
8    G    Jose Manuel Calderon
9    F/C  Felipe Reyes
10   F    Carlos Jimenez
11   F    Oscar Yebra
12   C    Roberto Duenas
13   G    Rodolfo Fernandez
14   F    Rodrigo De La Fuente
15   C/F  Jorge Garbajosa

Preliminary Round Groups Standings
Group A         W-L Record    &nbsp
Spain             5    0
Italy             3    2
Argentina         3    2
China             2    3
New Zealand       1    4
Serbia-Mont       1    4

Group B         W-L Record
Lithuania         5    0
Greece            3    2
Puerto Rico       3    2
United States     3    2
Australia         1    4
Angola            0    5

Teams in bold clinched quarterfinal berth

Quarterfinals Matchups:
Spain vs United States - 7:30 AM ET (6:30 AM Indiana Time)
Lithuania vs China     - 9:45 AM ET (8:45 AM Indiana Time)
Italy vs Puerto Rico   - 1 PM ET (Noon Indiana Time)
Greece vs Argentina    - 3:15 PM ET (2:15 PM Indiana Time)

Semifinals Matchups:
Winner of Italy/Puerto Rico vs Winner of Lithuania/China
Winner of Greece/Argentina  vs Winner of Spain/United States

zxc
08-26-2004, 07:30 AM
Cool, didn't realize it was gonna be on this early, found this thread just in time. Sucks only gonna be able to watch first half though before heading to work =\

Nice start so far, well for Duncan anyway.

BostonConnection
08-26-2004, 07:32 AM
Well, I like the way this game is starting: Duncan with a post-up on Gasol, blocks Gasol's shot on the other end, then TD scores again plus the foul on Spain :cool:

USA 5, Spain 2

Got the video tape running, since I won't be able to watch the rest of the game live...:(

Kstat
08-26-2004, 07:38 AM
18-16 USA, they're really shooting well today.

Spain flopped DUncan into two early fouls, so he has to sit early.

Kstat
08-26-2004, 07:41 AM
the US is on FIRE from long range:o:o

23-16 US

Harddrive7
08-26-2004, 07:41 AM
I thought that we could see a live gamecast of this on ESPN. Is this not the case?

Kstat
08-26-2004, 07:43 AM
Of course, the Spaniard shooting like %20 from long distance WOULD choose today to catch fire.....:rolleyes:

25-23 Spain

Kstat
08-26-2004, 07:45 AM
I thought that we could see a live gamecast of this on ESPN. Is this not the case?

NO, ESPN has no olympic rights.

25-25 after one. If we can keep duncan in the game, we will win.

Kstat
08-26-2004, 07:50 AM
the US continues to bomb threes, and Gasol continues to DESTROY boozer and marion inside. Talk about your reversal of roles.....

30-27, USA

Kstat
08-26-2004, 07:54 AM
The US REALLY seems to gotten into spain's heads. We're hitting our threes, and Its beginning to frustrate them.

On the other end, Wade and Marbury are OUTSTANDING pressuring their guards. Several steals already.

35-27, USA. Timeout spain.

Fool
08-26-2004, 07:56 AM
Marbury is actually contributing? The stars must be aligning

Kstat
08-26-2004, 07:57 AM
Stephon Marbury looks like a completely different player. He's 2/2 from three, and he's had SEVERAL very nice setups on fast breaks.

38-29

Kstat
08-26-2004, 08:01 AM
Duncan has sat the last 14 minutes of this game, and pau is dunking on all of our big guys.

I still have nothign but contempt for these officials. We're has a few fast breaks taken back because of cheap fouls already.

38-35, USA

Fool
08-26-2004, 08:03 AM
Man, I am streaming three "sports" radio stations and not one of them is talking about the game.

Kstat
08-26-2004, 08:04 AM
Odom AND Duncan are now out with foul trouble, while gasol is still free to bump whomever he plases.....what else is new.

:rolleyes:

38-37 USA

Kstat
08-26-2004, 08:05 AM
spain with the steal....stoudamire blocks the shot cleanly, of course a foul is called....:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

40-38, spain

zxc
08-26-2004, 08:06 AM
Duncan and Odom being out is killing us. Amare and Boozer as the front line.. :unimpressed:

Spain taking the lead =\

Stryder
08-26-2004, 08:06 AM
Odom AND Duncan are now out with foul trouble, while gasol is still free to bump whomever he plases.....what else is new.

38-37 USA

Stop blaming the refs. This is a good game. Let's enjoy it.

Kstat
08-26-2004, 08:12 AM
We had to play a better part of the first half without THREE starters, and we're still beating spain, 44-43 at the half.

The USA has SIX players (Duncan, wade, marbury, jefferson, Odom, Boozer) in foul trouble, Spain has ONE.

In any case, we looked GREAT out there today. If our starters are allowed to play the second half, we should win this game.

Kstat
08-26-2004, 08:13 AM

38-37 USA

Stop blaming the refs. This is a good game. Let's enjoy it.

Its only a good game because the refs are keeping it close. The us was blowing the game open, duncan was taken out. The US took another big lead, Odom was taken out. I'd understand if they were good calls, but they're not.

Instead of our 10th and 11th men having to keep pace with gasol, lets see Gasol get the same BS treatment and see how spain survives.

Fool
08-26-2004, 08:29 AM
So who has how many fouls?

Did LB do his typical 2 fouls and you sit the rest of the first half thing that he did with Rasheed all playoffs long?

Kstat
08-26-2004, 08:30 AM
So who has how many fouls?

Did LB do his typical 2 fouls and you sit the rest of the first half thing that he did with Rasheed all playoffs long?

Yeah, he sat duncan the whole 2nd qtr.

But you only get 5 fouls, so that 2nd one is HUGE

Kstat
08-26-2004, 08:31 AM
Marbury- 4/5 from three:o

Kstat
08-26-2004, 08:32 AM
Duncan picked up another BS foul. I think someone is going to need to sedate Larry...:laugh:

Kstat
08-26-2004, 08:36 AM
The US once again is taking control with duncan on the floor, because he totally changes how spain plays offensively. Gasol can't shoot over the top of him.

US leads by 8, with a free throw coming.

Marbury is REALLY feeling it, spain is starting to GUARD us on the 3-point line, and its opening up passing lanes.

58-50, USA

Kstat
08-26-2004, 08:38 AM
Marbury is shooting %80 from the floor....just hit his FIFTH three!

Fool
08-26-2004, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the updates, by the way. I am at work and can't get the game.

Same here, Thanks Kstat.

Kstat
08-26-2004, 08:43 AM
Told you something would happen if we threatened again. Marbury and odom just picked up some cheapies,

Threes still keeping us afloat, the US is 9/16 from the arc so far

Kstat
08-26-2004, 08:44 AM
Just curious if LB has played a zone at all. I read an article that said Pop and Roy were encouraging Brown to switch to a zone against Spain.

Thanks for the updates, by the way. I am at work and can't get the game.

We opened up the game with a 2-3 zone, but it lasted only a few minutes.

Kstat
08-26-2004, 08:47 AM
LB puts Anthony in for the first time with 30 seconds left in the third, and Mello hits a three at the buzzer:laugh:

USA 74, SPain 67, end of 3 qtr

US is now 10/17 (%60) from 3-point range. THey are much more confident shooters now, nobody is passing up open shots.

Marbury and Duncan should dominate the ball this qtr, they've been carrying us all game.

Kstat
08-26-2004, 08:51 AM
the refs FINALLY made a couple of BS calls our way..:laugh:

I dont think these refs are biased, mind you, just very very bad.

Kstat
08-26-2004, 08:54 AM
Wow, all of a sudden NOTHING is being called, and we're having a lot of shoving on both sides.

Of course, Spain is livid over it....

78-73 USA

Kstat
08-26-2004, 08:56 AM
Geat. Odom just fouled out. Boozer replaces him. I feel bad for the guy, only maybe 1 or 2 of the calls were legit.

5:29 left, 80-73

Kstat
08-26-2004, 08:58 AM
2 seconds later, Duncan gets his 4th....

Kstat
08-26-2004, 08:59 AM
Marbury with his SIXTH three!

87-78, 3:18 left, timeout spain.

Stephon Marbury has just set a Team USA RECORD for most threes in a game.....whoda thunk it:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Stryder
08-26-2004, 09:02 AM
I didn't get to say thanks for the updates. I'm at work also. Haha.

Damn. Marbury can shoot, who would've known that? lol...

Kstat
08-26-2004, 09:04 AM
Marbury makes a pair of FTs, he has 26 on the day.

91-81, 2 minutes left.

Kstat
08-26-2004, 09:06 AM
Spain his 2 FTs, steals the ball and hits a three...but Marbury comes RIGHT back with a driving layup, spain misses on the other end, and boozer is fouled.

93-86, with 2 FTs coming for boozer. About a minute left.

DisplacedKnick
08-26-2004, 09:08 AM

He has his days )today's obviously one of them) but he really can't - not from NBA range.

But everyone should be able to hit from 20 - go pace it off sometime guys - that's CLOSE.

Kstat
08-26-2004, 09:09 AM
boozer hits both, spain misses and duncan is fouled, no FTs however.

Marion is fouled, he will shoot 2. Hits both, spain will go to the FT line.

The team USA scoring record is 30, btw. Marbury has 28 so far.

Stryder
08-26-2004, 09:11 AM

But everyone should be able to hit from 20 - go pace it off sometime guys - that's CLOSE.

That is so true.

Kstat
08-26-2004, 09:11 AM
Marbury hits 2 FTs, he has tied the record at 30.

Fool
08-26-2004, 09:12 AM

He has his days )today's obviously one of them) but he really can't - not from NBA range.

No better day to have it then today. Even if he tanks the rest of the tourney maybe it will boost the rest of the team to take over for him (hopefully).

Kstat
08-26-2004, 09:17 AM
Spain misses again, Marbury rebounds, he will go to the line to set the all-time American international scoring record.

Marbuery makes one, that give him the record.

The spanish players are showing class, but the spanish fans are BOOING the hell out of us.

The spanish coach walked right past Larry brown without talking to him.

Wait, now he's getting in Larry's face and shouting at him. He's jabbing his finger in Larry's chest and mocking him. Of course, Larry doesn;t like that too much, and now He's getting a little animated. Larry is being restrained by his assistants, as they head to the locker room.

To clarify, Larry called a timeout with about 20 seconds left, and apparently it offended the crowd somehow. I guess calling a timeout in garbage time is offensive in spain or something...

Fool
08-26-2004, 09:21 AM
Thats gotta be rough for Spain. Go 5-0 in the prelims and then lose in the first must win game.

Kstat
08-26-2004, 09:22 AM
Oh yeah, and your final:

USA 102
Spain 94

I guess we'll get booed out of the building every time we crush a country's medal hopes.....fine with me;)

Kstat
08-26-2004, 09:23 AM
Thats gotta be rough for Spain. Go 5-0 in the prelims and then lose in the first must win game.

Yeah, forget the gold medal, spain can't even hope for the BRONZE.....:laugh:

The highest place they can finish now is 5th.

Yeah, I'm enjoying this....

indygeezer
08-26-2004, 09:23 AM
LArry Brown is a jerk and should be ashamed. I'd be embarrased if I were a Piston's fan. He has NO business coaching in the Olympics and will be the sole reason if we lose.

:devil::devil::p:devil::devil:

Fool
08-26-2004, 09:27 AM
:funny:

DisplacedKnick
08-26-2004, 09:31 AM
I just hope Marbury doesn't start thinking he's Steve Kerr or something.

He's a slasher-scorer/creator - not a shooter, though he can get hot.

OTOH - if he stays hot for another 80 minutes of ball ...

indygeezer
08-26-2004, 09:31 AM
OK...truthfully:

Popovich tried to difuse things (speaking in Spanish)but the Espana coach kept wagging his finger in Brown's face. The other US coaches finally got between LB and the stupido coach and guided Brown to the lockeroom.

indygeezer
08-26-2004, 09:34 AM

Amen to that! I coulda KILLED SAGAR for telling MArbury that he had jsut broken Dantley and Barkley's Olympic scoring record!! :mad: SSOB!!! The US finally looks like a team and they go playing that up!!!:mad::mad::mad: &*%^#^@#&*$*@#&$!

Kstat
08-26-2004, 09:42 AM

Amen to that! I coulda KILLED SAGAR for telling MArbury that he had jsut broken Dantley and Barkley's Olympic scoring record!! :mad: SSOB!!! The US finally looks like a team and they go playing that up!!!:mad::mad::mad: &*%^#^@#&*$*@#&$!

The US won this game because Marbury domijated the 4th qtr on the offensive end, and because Duncan dominated it on the defensive end. I have no problem with recognizing the accomplishment.

DisplacedKnick
08-26-2004, 09:46 AM
Nope - and if they leave him alone the next game he should take his shots - I've been amazed the whole time that he (and everyone else) couldn't hit an open 20-footer. That should be automatic for at least half the guys on this team, even though they aren't the purest shooters.

I just worry about Steph trying to take things over if things get tight the next game. But then, he has stayed this hot for 3 games in a row plenty of times. Next game, take the shot the first couple of times. If you're hot, rock-and-roll. If not, go to something else.

If he does hit the first shot or two (or someone else does) they'll have to cover. And that's when AI and Steph can start doing what they do best.

Slick Pinkham
08-26-2004, 09:46 AM
The concern is that Marbury will thing that he can/will be able to do the same thing every time, when 2-14 nights are just as common for him.

I'm not sure that he can have a good game without the thought becoming embedded in his head that he is "the man" now.

sixthman
08-26-2004, 10:24 AM
Is was good seeing Pacers trainer David Craig on the sidelines.

Man, I can't wait for a Pacers game.

Wouldn't a tandem of JO and Tim Duncan been a load for the USA in these games? But, anyway, glad JO is getting the very needed down time.

Paul Gasol was rock solid for Spain. He's become a strong inside player.

Props to Stephan and AI for stepping up the guard play. The team play was much improved - but, the scary part is, if Spain dropped a few more shots in the second half, there might have been a different outcome.

Hicks
08-26-2004, 10:31 AM
I woke up just a little bit ago; no idea I had slept through the entire game that I was looking forward to watching on my day off. :cry:

Fool
08-26-2004, 10:54 AM
You need to stop dreaming of your avatar Hicks.

skyfire
08-26-2004, 11:35 AM
I woke up just a little bit ago; no idea I had slept through the entire game that I was looking forward to watching on my day off. :cry:

I'll post a link to the download when it becomes available on the net...

Wow, Marbury was on fire in that game. Gasol was huge for Spain.

Kegboy
08-26-2004, 12:04 PM
Wouldn't a tandem of JO and Tim Duncan been a load for the USA in these games?

Yeah, they were pretty dominant on the qualifying team in Puerto Rico last summer. In fact, I've always felt that's part of why JO was so mad when we fired Isiah. He was in the middle of seeing first hand what he had missed out on by not signing with SA.

able
08-26-2004, 12:12 PM
yep Kegboy, now try and imagine a frontcourt of TD, JO and Ron Ron ......

Talking about domination :D

Fool
08-26-2004, 01:15 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer04/basketball/news/story?id=1868303

Associated Press
ATHENS, Greece -- Top-seeded and previously unbeaten Spain is out of the medal round in men's basketball, and the Spaniards aren't happy about it.

As the teams left the court Thursday after Team USA's 102-94 victory, Spanish coach Mario Pesquera and United States coach Larry Brown yelled and pointed at each other about a late U.S. timeout. After about a minute, they had to be separated by their assistants.

Pesquera was upset Brown called a timeout with 23 seconds left and the Americans leading by 11 points. He let the U.S. coach know it as they left the court.

"I had -- and I stress the word 'had' -- a lot of respect for Larry Brown,'' said Pesquera, who smirked and shook his head when he heard Brown explain that he tried to rescind the timeout. "Dean Smith would have never done anything like that.''

Said Brown: "Hopefully I'll learn to handle these situations, which are new to me, a little bit better.''

Pau Gasol led Spain with 29 points but was held to just four in the fourth quarter by a tenacious American defensive effort, which quieted a pro-Spanish crowd of 14,500 that included Spain's King Juan Carlos.

"It was said that the public supports the weaker team. I think in this case the public was solidly behind the stronger team because we were the stronger team,'' said Pesquera, who also complained that the officials allowed the Americans to get away with multiple traveling violations.

"I think this game was played under NBA rules, not FIBA rules,'' he said.

----------------------------------------------------------
Two things

"Dean Smith would have never done anything like that.''

I'm sure Brown felt that one.

"I think this game was played under NBA rules, not FIBA rules,'' he said.

Refs can't ever win.

beast23
08-26-2004, 02:02 PM
A slight revision to Larry's quote might have been in order:

Should have said Brown: "Hopefully I'll learn to handle these situations, which are new to me, a little bit better. Until then, he can kiss my ***.''

ImReppinBtown
08-26-2004, 02:11 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOO WE ACTUALLY BEAT THEM PRETTY GOOD. MARBURY WITH 31 AND 6 3'S IS ALWAYS GOOD.

:hoosiers::pacers::colts:

Arcadian
08-26-2004, 02:12 PM
Pesquera is just mad that he lost. I'm sure that he wanted to beat us and thought that his team is better.

If a person has a lot of respect for another how can one time out cost him all that respect.

Please, the man is just crying.

dipperdunk
08-26-2004, 02:19 PM
A slight revision to Larry's quote might have been in order:

Should have said Brown: "Hopefully I'll learn to handle these situations, which are new to me, a little bit better. Until then, he can kiss my ***.''

:laugh:

After reading some of the quotes from the spanish coach I think they might want to start drug testing the coaches not just the athletes. Larry called the timeout with like 40 seconds left after the steal but it didn't register until the 1st deadball stoppage with 12 seconds left because of the goofy international rules.

The media etc.,, has been ripping our team but I think the players and coaches have represented our country well and have acted with class win or lose after each game. You can rip them for poor fundamentals, lack of team play etc.,, but they have handled the entire tournament and exhibitions with class. The Spanish coach is clearly just a poor loser.

PacerStud
08-26-2004, 02:25 PM
In the games we lose, it's said that the refs took it away from us. In the game we win (and someone else blames the refs) they're poor losers.

Mirror, mirror on the wall ............... :rolleyes:

Fool
08-26-2004, 03:15 PM
I can't find them in print but Coach Pop's statements after the game (about the Spanish coach) were very respctful and respectable.

dipperdunk
08-26-2004, 03:49 PM
In the games we lose, it's said that the refs took it away from us.

I'm curious which players or coaches on team USA said the refs took the game away from them after the Italy and Lithuania losses?

If you are talking about fans that is a different story but these quotes were from the coach. I didn't hear Larry Brown blaming the refs after the U.S. losses.

Kegboy
08-26-2004, 05:37 PM
Note the new sig (I figured I couldn't make fun of Marbury's shooting anymore. ;))

RimBender
08-26-2004, 10:02 PM
Whats with all these Avatars?

This isn't Erotica Digest...

Well whatever makes ya'll happy.... :p

Kstat
08-26-2004, 10:10 PM
In the games we lose, it's said that the refs took it away from us. In the game we win (and someone else blames the refs) they're poor losers.

Mirror, mirror on the wall ............... :rolleyes:

Give me one quote where a players or coach has directly blamed refereeing for losses.

You know what irks me? Spain got the MAJORITY of the calls tonight, by FAR.

If Tim duncan and lamar odom dont miss HALF THE GAME with foul trouble, this game isnt even CLOSE.