PDA

View Full Version : Some interesting quotes in chat on Hoopsworld.com

90'sNBARocked
11-17-2010, 04:08 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/chat.asp?chat_topics_id=1276&status=Inactive
By Steve Kyler

Peter in Vancouver:
When will Danny Granger say "I had enough of losing!! I want out of Indiana!!!" If so, which team will be the first one to come knocking on his door?
Steve Kyler:
Welcome in everyone... hope the week has been good to you... lots in the que and lots of stuff going on so lets get after it.

If it ever happens, it won't be this year... as good as Danny is as a player, lets rewind a bit... 16 other teams passed on Danny before the Pacers scooped him up... they also agreed to pay him a mountain of money... Danny scored a 30 on his ACT and was offered a partial academic scholarship to Yale... he's a very bright guy, he understands how the world works... how many guys who beg out land in better situations?

I think if things don't improve this year... meaning the Pacers don't make the playoffs, I could see him getting frustrated, but he knows the team is rebuilding and honestly if you look at the pieces the pacers have brought in over the last two years they are moving in the right direction...

The Pacers are roughly a .500 basketball team and thats where they should be with the experince on their roster.

They still have some bad contracts on the books, but their future is much brighter than their present and Danny will tell you that... now if they start selling off players or making bad decision that could change, but Danny rise to the top is mainly because the Pacers gave him a chance and smart players never lose sight of that

Marcos in Sacramento, Ca:
Would trade involving Thompson and Lawson work for the Kings? Is Lawson the right fit next to Evans?

Steve Kyler:
Maybe... I would want a lot more than Jason Thompson for Ty Lawson... JT isn't nearly the prospect Lawson is.

Lawson is a starting caliber player... JT is not... you don't get better trading starters for reserves.

I know how much you guys love when I talk PER, but have you looked at the Power Forwards leading PER... there are far better Forwards for All-Star nods than Bargs.
RK PLAYER GP MPG TS REBR PER 1 Tyrus Thomas, CHA 10 21.4 0.581 17.7 23.18 2 Amir Johnson, TOR 11 19.3 0.693 16.2 21.83 3 Josh Smith, ATL 12 34.9 0.57 16.6 21.51 4 Tyler Hansbrough, IND 7 17 0.638 14 21.5 5 Brandon Bass, ORL 10 21.4 0.607 14.8 21.01

colin in oregon:
what do you think of josh mcroberts and paul george for jason thompson?
Steve Kyler:

Way too much value for JT...
G MIN FG% 3P% FT% REB STL BLK TO PF AST PTS
Season 8 15.6 .436 .000 .667 4.8 .25 .38 .75 2.25 1.0 5.8
Career 165 29.0 .482 .056 .702 7.8 .54 .82 1.76 3.70 1.4 11.5

Tony in Indy, Indy:
Jason Thompson. You answered above that he's not a starting caliber player. Would he be a bad target, then, for the Pacers to go after?

Steve Kyler:
Depends on what he costs you... if you have to give up a real prospect type player... no, mainly because when your three years ion, you start looking like who you'll be... most guys don;t make huge leaps in year four and year five, when they are below average in year 3...

JT is whats he'll be in this league, and unless someone wants to throw tons of minutes his way, he's a below average player on a pretty bad basketball team.

Not sure I'd give up much for him.

jj redick in orlando:
y dont the pacers give tj ford any playing time. remember he played really good in toronto and the pacers r struggling at point guard. and he has an incentive since its his contract year. if collison is issue, why not last year

Steve Kyler:
Doesn;t run the system well... his shot is not nearly as good and he's not as committed to defense as other players.

He's gotten some minutes this year, but he's not going to be a factor especially not with Darren Collison in town.
wow, JT not good, and Tyler has the 4th best PER among all EC PF's

Lance George
11-17-2010, 05:10 PM
Hansbrough should be playing 30+ minutes a game. Hopefully he will be before too long.

90'sNBARocked
11-17-2010, 06:07 PM
Hansbrough should be playing 30+ minutes a game. Hopefully he will be before too long.

I admitt , I was floored that Tyler was the 4th best PER PF in the EC

not that those PER formula is the most accurate, but still impressive

Shade
11-17-2010, 06:24 PM
Hansbrough should be starting.

Fixed.

ballism
11-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Good for Tyler. Would love him to figure the system out and get promoted to starting lineup. We need him. Nice for Bass too, he's 5th on the list.
That said, PER is known to give inacurate results on backup players, esp early on. And it doesn't show how well a player plays within a system. There's clearly a ton of PFs you'd rather have than Hansbrough and Bass.

As for JT, noone who watched enough SAC games thought he was a very good player. He's average at most. Not much potential either - 24, no improvement for 2 years. It's just that he would be a huge upgrade from Solo as a backup C on this team. Would be nice if we could get him for one of backup guards, esp TJ.

PacerHound
11-17-2010, 06:47 PM

I am finding out I am not an Indiana Pacer fan but a Tyler Hansbrough fan. Since he is not playing, and I know he will not be in the game due to the injury, I have found myself channel surfing throughout the game from time to time. Tyler is so unpredictable you never know what he is liable to do so he brings an element of excitement to the game that I don't see much of without him. Basketball can be a boring game even if you win at times. When you are losing there had better be some excitement somewhere on the floor if you are going to keep paying customers coming through the doors. Right now the Pacers would have to pay me to get me to a game.:)

Justin Tyme
11-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Would be nice if we could get him for one of backup guards, esp TJ.

Salaries don't match with either TJ or Price. Pacers would have to add about a mil to Price's salary, McBob/Stephenson, and the Kings would have to give back a 7 mil TE for Ford which they could do. I like the idea of the 7 mil TE. :)

Sookie
11-17-2010, 07:45 PM
Salaries don't match with either TJ or Price. Pacers would have to add about a mil to Price's salary, McBob/Stephenson, and the Kings would have to give back a 7 mil TE for Ford which they could do. I like the idea of the 7 mil TE. :)

I'm pretty sure Sac has enough cap space to take TJ.

ballism
11-17-2010, 07:52 PM
Yes, Sac has plenty of space. Not that I think they would want TJ. But if you add a 2nd pick, who knows. It seems like their asking price isn't as high as we thought a week ago. :)

MyFavMartin
11-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Just remember that Hansbrough is getting most of his PT on the second unit against opposing team's backup PFs.

MLB007
11-17-2010, 07:59 PM
Just remember that Hansbrough is getting most of his PT on the second unit against opposing team's backup PFs.

Then I guess it's time to see what he can do against the 1st team. :cool: