PDA

View Full Version : attendance

Scot Pollard
11-16-2010, 11:10 PM
me my girlfriend and my buddy couldnt make it to the game tonight (first one ive missed with season)

anyway we were talking about why there are so many open seats still

i mean yeah we've sucked for like 5 years now but we're a fun team to watch and we play in the nicest arena in one of nicest cities

thank goodness we have a lot of support from the city to keep us strong and located in indianapolis for good

for the most part people love basketball and their pacers here in indiana

yeah i understand this was a weeknight game but come on 11133 people showed up tonight

just sad

pacers average less than 14000 people to their games

there should be at least 14000 in attendance during the week

why are people boycotting the pacers

a team like minnesota gets fairly big crowds a night and are young and rebuilding like we are but we're a better team and have been

why dont we

like i said and everyone knows this team sucked for a while but its turning around

guys like danny granger, roy hibbert, darren collison, tyler hansbrough, brandon rush, paul george, perhaps josh mcroberts as well will all be what this team will build around and these are fun young guys to watch we can have a lot of success with them (not under jim obrien who may have a lot to do with a lack of big crowds)

so why are there so many seats open

just too much green and not enough people

here is a link of attendance averages i check sometimeshttp://espn.go.com/nba/attendance

Young
11-16-2010, 11:20 PM
I was thinking the same thing watching tonights game. I thought to myself "dang...if I lived in Indy I would have one of those empty seats!"

Even for the Area 55 contest there wasn't that many people that went out for it was there?

I don't think it was anything to do with the economy...I really don't. People will spend money. Look at the Colts, go to a concert, heck just go anywhere restaurant, bar, wal mart, etc. People are spending $ still.

I think that Indiana is much more of a college basketball state.

Scot Pollard
11-16-2010, 11:27 PM
I was thinking the same thing watching tonights game. I thought to myself "dang...if I lived in Indy I would have one of those empty seats!"

Even for the Area 55 contest there wasn't that many people that went out for it was there?

I don't think it was anything to do with the economy...I really don't. People will spend money. Look at the Colts, go to a concert, heck just go anywhere restaurant, bar, wal mart, etc. People are spending $ still.

I think that Indiana is much more of a college basketball state.

they love the pacers and do love basketball

but basketball is basketball and indianapolis and the pacers should be one of the more higher attendance just because its indiana

here in indy college is a big thing because of the nearby schools but i do hear of pacers talk around the city

the team is very young and i think casual fans arent aware of the pieces we have and the bright future this team has but they will learn and hopefully take some action and attend games

they just dont want to invest in seeing the pacers and i hate it thats all all about the colts

its not like there all 4 pro teams in indianapolis, theres 2 and nfl and nba are probably the most popular pro sports leagues in america arguably

heck i wish i can clone myself to fill all of those empty seats :laugh:

vnzla81
11-16-2010, 11:29 PM
Nobody is gonna go to a game were your PF is Posey your SG is Dunleavy and your PG is Ford, fans are not that stupid.

BringJackBack
11-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Oh vnzla. You left out those scrubs Danny Granger, Roy Hibbert, and Darren Collison. :rolleyes:

Scot Pollard
11-16-2010, 11:33 PM
Nobody is gonna go to a game were your PF is Posey your SG is Dunleavy and your PG is Ford, fans are not that stupid.

very much agreed

once we clear out those guys and the young future players are getting all of the minutes under a new head coach the fans will come

this team can turn into what the bucks turned into a young team will a lot of talent a very good pg leading the team in collison along with the 2 other stars granger and hibbert

Scot Pollard
11-16-2010, 11:34 PM
Oh vnzla. You left out those scrubs Danny Granger, Roy Hibbert, and Darren Collison. :rolleyes:

fixed

people would be nuts not wanting to see our big 3 right there and the other young pieces that will get us to the playoffs

vnzla81
11-16-2010, 11:35 PM

People wants to see them but not playing with those other scrubs.

Many guys that I know kept telling me about how excited they were to see PG play and how excited they were to see the young guys play, that is not happening so they rather stay away.

vnzla81
11-16-2010, 11:41 PM
I think it really sucks for me to be more excited about watching the young Clippers or the Thunder play than the Pacers.

BringJackBack
11-16-2010, 11:44 PM

Many guys that I know kept telling me about how excited they were to see PG play and how excited they were to see the young guys play, that is not happening so they rather stay away.

True. I don't know anyone w/ a vested interest in Mike, TJ, or Posey.

I don't think Paul George is ready to play that much though. Just doesn't really have shot making ability yet.

Scot Pollard
11-16-2010, 11:58 PM

pg collison-price (collison gets the majority of the minutes though)
sg rush-george
sf granger-dunleavy (limited minutes)
pf mcroberts-hansbrough
c hibbert-foster (limited minutes)

thats the rotation indiana fans want to see im sure at least thats what everyone here wants

but the biggest problem that draws people away is jim obrien

people know hes a bonehead and a bad coach thats been here for far too long and we've had no success under him

bringing in a new coach will draw a lot of interest and people would want to see how this team does under him

this also pretty much guarantees us to a playoff team between our young talent and having a good new head coach that is fair to the young guys and is willing to actually coach them to the best of THEIR ability

i think indiana fans would welcome a guy like mike brown who i really want us to hire hes young himself and teaches his players under a system thats everyone can play in

Scot Pollard
11-17-2010, 12:03 AM
I think it really sucks for me to be more excited about watching the young Clippers or the Thunder play than the Pacers.

sadly me too

thats because vinny del negro and scott brooks actually give their young players the majority of the minutes

they also get bigger crowds than we do

graphic-er
11-17-2010, 12:12 AM
they love the pacers and do love basketball

but basketball is basketball and indianapolis and the pacers should be one of the more higher attendance just because its indiana

here in indy college is a big thing because of the nearby schools but i do hear of pacers talk around the city

the team is very young and i think casual fans arent aware of the pieces we have and the bright future this team has but they will learn and hopefully take some action and attend games

they just dont want to invest in seeing the pacers and i hate it thats all all about the colts

its not like there all 4 pro teams in indianapolis, theres 2 and nfl and nba are probably the most popular pro sports leagues in america arguably

heck i wish i can clone myself to fill all of those empty seats :laugh:

Heck man half this city still thinks they are thugs who shoot up strip clubs. Its sad but true.

The overall apathy from the average person in this city is due to the fact that Indianapolis is a Playoffs or nothing town. People just won't care until they expect that you will make the playoffs every year. They had that expectation for over a decade with Miller on the team. They have it now with Peyton Manning and the Colts. But look even back in 03-04 when Peyton Manning was getting hot the colts were winning 11-12 games a season, they still had local TV Blackouts for certain games.

I don't even buy the idea that Indy is a college sports town. We just had Butler win 25 games in a row last season and they only sold out Hinkle for a handful of games. Yet they had 40K show up for practice in the Final Four. What does that say? New season this year and Butler just had their home opener with the National Finalist Banner ceremony, and they only had 6,600 people at Hinkle. Butler ranked 18th in the nation can't get more than 7000 people to come to the games. So when you hear some good ol' boy here in the city say I hate the NBA, I only like College Ball you ask them how come they don't go watch Butler on a regular basis. You have a top ranked team in the nation in your back yard Certainly Butler plays that old school ball they love so much right?

I myself like the NBA over college ball more. I go to about 15 games a year. If my hours weren't reduced at work we would probably be buying 1/2 season ticket package. So I guess the economy does play a part. Pacers being on TV almost every home game doesn't provide much incentive to go see a barely mediocre team.

Playoffs or we don't care.

I Love P
11-17-2010, 12:18 AM
Losing won't help attendance.

Scot Pollard
11-17-2010, 12:20 AM
Heck man half this city still thinks they are thugs who shoot up strip clubs. Its sad but true.

The overall apathy from the average person in this city is due to the fact that Indianapolis is a Playoffs or nothing town. People just won't care until they expect that you will make the playoffs every year. They had that expectation for over a decade with Miller on the team. They have it now with Peyton Manning and the Colts. But look even back in 03-04 when Peyton Manning was getting hot the colts were winning 11-12 games a season, they still had local TV Blackouts for certain games.

I don't even buy the idea that Indy is a college sports town. We just had Butler win 25 games in a row last season and they only sold out Hinkle for a handful of games. Yet they had 40K show up for practice in the Final Four. What does that say? New season this year and Butler just had their home opener with the National Finalist Banner ceremony, and they only had 6,600 people at Hinkle. Butler ranked 18th in the nation can't get more than 7000 people to come to the games. So when you hear some good ol' boy here in the city say I hate the NBA, I only like College Ball you ask them how come they don't go watch Butler on a regular basis. You have a top ranked team in the nation in your back yard Certainly Butler plays that old school ball they love so much right?

I myself like the NBA over college ball more. I go to about 15 games a year. If my hours weren't reduced at work we would probably be buying 1/2 season ticket package. So I guess the economy does play a part. Pacers being on TV almost every home game doesn't provide much incentive to go see a barely mediocre team.

since there hasnt been any trouble in the past 5 years im sure no one thinks we're a thug team

most people read the paper and see thats the whole roster has been re-done

what indiana fans want is like the bucks have a young college atmosphere but with professional athletes

a complete young team, a successful team, and a bunch of players that are good people that are dedicated to basketball and would never cause off the court harm

we have a young team, but dont have all of them playing the majority of the time and we have good players

if we make the playoffs we'll have sellouts

going back to what you said i love professional sports much more than college

i mean nba and nfl only have the best of the athletes and college is just mainly for fun if you think about it

also like you said most people here in indy are so dedicated to their teams like the pacers and colts that they will only attend a lot of game if their teams are doing well

Scot Pollard
11-17-2010, 12:28 AM
the city of indianapolis supports the pacers and offer any kind of loans the team may need to keep them from leaving because they know that indiana fans will come around once the team is good again

the kings, hornets, and grizzlies are the teams most likely to relocate

especially the hornets they are a great team and still get an attendance thats worse than ours

SMosley21
11-17-2010, 12:29 AM
since there hasnt been any trouble in the past 5 years im sure no one thinks we're a thug team

Simply put, this is an incorrect statement.

also like you said most people here in indy are so dedicated to their teams like the pacers and colts that they will only attend a lot of game if their teams are doing well

That's not "being dedicated" to the teams. That's called being fair weather fans, which Indiana has more of than most states.

Scot Pollard
11-17-2010, 12:33 AM
its just sad that no one will give this team a chance to see that theres no ron artest, stephen jackson, jamaal tinsley, etc. thug like players on this team

the guys on the team are no where like those guys and would never do the things they've done

which is why the playoffs will wake up the city and see that this team has rebuilt

Bball
11-17-2010, 12:33 AM

Just like nearly every other city with a franchise. And the exceptions are mighty rare.

Scot Pollard
11-17-2010, 12:36 AM
the pacers used to get about 16,000-17,000 when they were good and made the playoffs even though that team had a bunch of thugs

i miss those days other than the badasses

so it just goes to show that the city and fans will have interest in this team when they're successful

Bball
11-17-2010, 12:38 AM
its just sad that no one will give this team a chance to see that theres no ron artest, stephen jackson, jamaal tinsley, etc. thug like players on this team

the guys on the team are no where like those guys and would never do the things they've done

which is why the playoffs will wake up the city and see that this team has rebuilt

We can't play basketball like this and expect the playoffs to be a reality... and we can't play basketball like this and expect fans to think the playoffs are a reality.

You can spiffy up the PR heading into the season and get the sunshine shining brightly but the sparkle comes off quickly when the new look Pacers look a lot like the old look Pacers. And I'm talking inconsistency and lack of competitiveness.... not people thinking these are the brawl era Pacers. One thing the team has done is pretty much erased that image. What they haven't done is change the bad play on the court enough to inspire fans and casual fans alike.

smj887
11-17-2010, 12:42 AM

I wish. If you want proof that a pretty significant amount of people still have that perception, just read the Indystar.com comments after a Pacers article. A lot of knuckleheads out there, and granted they don't necessarily make up the majority, it's still a big perception.

I don't think that misconception will change until the Pacers start winning and those same people actually look at the team objectively. Over a relatively short time frame, we went from perennial contenders to a crappy team with an even worse reputation. That's more difficult to overcome than, say, Minnesota, where at least their players aren't marred with off the court issues that hurt fan relations.

And unfortunately, I think SMosley is dead on. Indiana has a ton of fair weather fans, at least in the places I've lived throughout the state. I think most fans have been spoiled by having Reggie Miller for over a decade, and then having arguably the greatest QB emerge as Reggie's career was beginning to go out of print. Most of the active fans I know are fans of other teams. A lot of fans (I guess Indy residents, since I assume they would be the majority of the Conseco crowd) are just very passive about the teams, and it's a shame.

Scot Pollard
11-17-2010, 12:44 AM
We can't play basketball like this and expect the playoffs to be a reality... and we can't play basketball like this and expect fans to think the playoffs are a reality.

You can spiffy up the PR heading into the season and get the sunshine shining brightly but the sparkle comes off quickly when the new look Pacers look a lot like the old look Pacers. And I'm talking inconsistency and lack of competitiveness.... not people thinking these are the brawl era Pacers. One thing the team has done is pretty much erased that image. What they haven't done is change the bad play on the court enough to inspire fans and casual fans alike.

i agree

we're gonna need a whole different system going with just the young core players we have playing under a tough head coach that is willing to use his players however they are comfortable

someone like mike brown like ive been hoping for

Scot Pollard
11-17-2010, 12:45 AM
have a good night guys im going to sleep

i appreciate the comments

Psyren
11-17-2010, 12:48 AM
For me personally, I don't have the money to spend to go all the time.

But I do go quite a bit, but mostly on weekend. On weeknights I prefer to watch from home after a day at work etc and don't have to head back up to the fieldhouse.

beast23
11-17-2010, 02:51 AM

You can spiffy up the PR heading into the season and get the sunshine shining brightly but the sparkle comes off quickly when the new look Pacers look a lot like the old look Pacers. And I'm talking inconsistency and lack of competitiveness.... not people thinking these are the brawl era Pacers. One thing the team has done is pretty much erased that image. What they haven't done is change the bad play on the court enough to inspire fans and casual fans alike.Yep. The casual fan simply doesn't know enough about the new players added to the roster this season to appreciate that the team is improving... even if that improvement is not yet shown in the win-loss column.

And worse yet, most casual fans really don't care about new players, all they care about is whether or not we are winning games. Therefore, they will stay away until Conseco is "the place to be". And without winning more games to generate some excitement or at least getting on a home winning streak, casual fans will stay away.

So, the casual fan isn't bothered one iota about who is on the court, they just want to see wins before they attend. So the comment regarding TJ, Mike and Posey is pretty lame.

Trophy
11-17-2010, 08:51 AM
People will come around again when we start winning and make the playoffs.

The casual fans will remember some of the old names the Pacers used to have and that they've been replaced. We've turned JO, Jax, JT, and Ron Artest with Danny, Roy, Darren, Tyler, etc.

So typically, people go to games when the team is a playoff contender with a record over .500

cinotimz
11-17-2010, 09:24 AM
This team really doesnt have an identity yet. Yes, things have changed. Out with the old and in with the new. But until the team really develops an identity-something the casual fan can really relate to and embrace-only the hardcore, diehard fans will follow them.

I would also add that I believe its going to be very difficult to develop that identity with the current coach. I dont think JOB will be perceived as the coach of a team that is hard-nosed. That almost certainly will have to be part of the identity for this team to catch on with the masses.

Pacergeek
11-17-2010, 09:40 AM
the answer is easy: Indianapolis is a fair weather sports town regarding the professional teams. Indianapolis will support the hell out of high school and college sports, but the pro teams do not get this kind of support.

I know that fans are "passionate" about the Colts, but once Manning retires and the Colts are no longer elite, Lucas Oil won't come close to selling out.

Sollozzo
11-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Indianapolis is no more fair weather than most other places. Heck, the Celtics have a slightly smaller arena than us and they weren't selling games out before the Big 3 arrived. Boston is a place that has millions more people than the Indy area (not to mention it's a wealthy area) and after all, this is the most historic franchise in the league. Yet they couldn't sell out the arena consistently when the team was losing. There were better shows in town with the Sox and Pats. Sound familiar?

Indy is a tiny metro area (by professional sports standards), therefore attendance is going to suffer when the team is bad. I doubt the proportion of Indy fair weathers is really that different than a place like New York. It's just that in New York you have a billion people so you're always going to sell out a 19,000 seat arena.

Pacergeek
11-17-2010, 10:22 AM
No, Indy is fair weather, and I can prove my point.

2003- The Colts vs the Titans did not sell out. This was an early game in the season and the Colts were facing their top rival back then. The Titans beat the Colts twice in 2002, and beat the Colts in the playoffs in 1999. This was a monster game that would decide the landscape of the AFC south. Any Colts fan knew that if we can finally beat the Titans, than the Colts would be contenders.

The Colts had made the playoffs in 2002, as well as 1999 and 2000. So you cannot have said at the time that the Colts were a "bad" team.

Trophy
11-17-2010, 10:27 AM
We have to be a playoff contender with a comfortable, secured position in the standings and more wins than losses.

What is appears to me is that Indiana doesn't want to see their pro teams suck, but when they're good, they're willing to buy more tickets.

Also, there is still a great deal of fan support in the city. I mean we have sellouts on opening night so the 18,000+ people in attendance are there to see the Pacers and would come out more often once we're doing well.

Once we're winning a lot more consistently, we'll probably get about 15,000-16,000 average in attendance during the season and maybe sellouts for the home games in the playoffs.

EDIT: The whole off the court bad guy problem is long behind us and people know that this team has changed a great deal.

Indiana is a fair weather fan state because they want to see their teams doing well. It's been tough watching the Pacers in the past few unsuccessful seasons, but with all of these young guys for the future, it's gotten more exciting to watch. We just need to win.

RWB
11-17-2010, 11:51 AM

Sounds like decent numbers for an institution with an enrollment of 4,500. So you're saying it's a shame that folks who like basketball but maybe have no interest in Butler should still go? Why not attend a high school game instead?

Frankly, I think one of the biggest factors is Indiana's love for basketball actually hurts the Pacers attendance. Both of my sons played ball through YMCA leagues, to middle school, and through high school. The Mrs. and I loved every minute of it and our passion for the Pacers while strong did take a backseat during those times. We were STHs in the early 80s, but once the boys became involved in their own games our focus changed especially during their high school years. I guess what I'm trying to say is those who have a love for the game probably also have folks they need to give their support to before a professional franchise. I've personally been a fan since the Pacers started (showing my age) but when you are rooting for family or friends the pros are put on the backburner.

Trophy
11-17-2010, 12:04 PM
When we started doing well towards the end of last season, we had pretty big crowds.

We need to play like that consistently.

90'sNBARocked
11-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Im glad the OP made this point

I was sitting at home watching the game thinking

"Man I have never seen Conseco so empty. It was like going to a D League game"

really sad, if this keeps up I can see Simon moving the team

BillS
11-17-2010, 01:26 PM
I was pretty shocked at tipoff. It got better as the first quarter went on - still not good, though.

I often wonder how much the 7 pm start times hurt us - do people have problems getting there on time? Would going to 7:30 make more sense, seems to be common in the rest of the East.

Unclebuck
11-17-2010, 01:37 PM
I was pretty shocked at tipoff. It got better as the first quarter went on - still not good, though.

I often wonder how much the 7 pm start times hurt us - do people have problems getting there on time? Would going to 7:30 make more sense, seems to be common in the rest of the East.

I know the Pacers have done a lot of research on whether 7:30 or 7:00 is a better time for games to start. My guess is 7 is more popular because I think games ending at 9:20 is much better than 9:50.

Trophy
11-17-2010, 02:29 PM

I don't think we have the issue of moving because we have support from the city and they won't let us ever leave Conseco Fieldhouse. The deal over the summer for the CIB to pay for the Fieldhouse operations was a big help.

We're probably one of the last teams that will ever move just because we do have a lot of support in Indianapolis.

It'll just take wins to get big crowds.

Mr_Smith
11-17-2010, 02:31 PM
I have a simple formula that can sum it all up:

winning=more butts in seats

losing=less butts in seats

Iceman1
11-17-2010, 02:36 PM
No, Indy is fair weather, and I can prove my point.

2003- The Colts vs the Titans did not sell out. This was an early game in the season and the Colts were facing their top rival back then. The Titans beat the Colts twice in 2002, and beat the Colts in the playoffs in 1999. This was a monster game that would decide the landscape of the AFC south. Any Colts fan knew that if we can finally beat the Titans, than the Colts would be contenders.

The Colts had made the playoffs in 2002, as well as 1999 and 2000. So you cannot have said at the time that the Colts were a "bad" team.

Not true...the Colts game against Tennessee in 2003 was a sell out. A matter of fact...the Colts have sold out every game since the last game of 1998. Check out the link for the facts....http://www.allbusiness.com/sports-recreation/sports-games-outdoor-recreation/11768429-1.html

Scot Pollard
11-17-2010, 04:01 PM
winning with the young guys getting a bunch of minutes would be even better

Scot Pollard
11-17-2010, 04:11 PM

the pacers arent even thinking about moving the team and im sure any owner would love to keep the pacers in conseco fieldhouse and indianapolis

teams like the hornets, kings, and grizzlies have absolutely no support in their cities which we will result in them moving as there have been sources of that happening

the hornets havent had big crowds this season and are off to a great start
its always been that way for that team

Scot Pollard
11-17-2010, 04:16 PM
once we're a winning team we will no longer be seeing this many open seats
i think this photo was from the 07-08 season the season where we were dead last in the attendance and ill admit to being a part of those that didnt go
http://basketball.ballparks.com/NBA/IndianaPacers/newinterior.jpg

now this is the crowd we will see when we're a winning team
http://www.insidearenas.com/eastern/pictures/conseco09950.jpg

Lord Helmet
11-17-2010, 04:25 PM
We are a losing team. We haven't have a winning season since 2005-2006. That sums it up right there.

The Colts have earned the love of the city because they have won, year after year, and did something the NBA Pacers have never done, which is bring a championship to the city.

Like what was mentioned, the Colts didn't sell out back in 2003, the home opener against the Titans, which was my first game I ever went to, btw, but they went on a win streak, made a deep playoff run and have been winning and making the playoffs ever since.

If the Pacers did sneak into the playoffs this year, it would help, because we would at least have a somewhat winning record .500 or a little under, but we have to be successful, and continue it, and then and only then will we get the casual fans back and the buzz in the city.

I feel like the the take on the Pacers now isn't as negative as it has been in recent years, and the Pacers have done a great job marketing them and making them really fan friendly, and have gotten off their high-horse and actually started listening to the fans, because they were desperate, and also with the drafting of high character guys.

Right now, I think we are almost to lovable loser level.

I can only hope once we start winning the Pacers brass doesn't stop with the reaching out to fans and I hope they don't get the mindset that they don't have to do it anymore. Unfortunately, I think it will happen.

Eddie Gill
11-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Sorry for being a little off-topic, but I'll be in Indy next week and was planning on going to the CLE game on Tuesday. I'm debating on springing the extra cash for decent seats or buying my usual balcony seats. How strict are the ushers about letting people move down into empty seats?

Scot Pollard
11-17-2010, 04:35 PM
Sorry for being a little off-topic, but I'll be in Indy next week and was planning on going to the CLE game on Tuesday. I'm debating on springing the extra cash for decent seats or buying my usual balcony seats. How strict are the ushers about letting people move down into empty seats?

i say just go for it and get some good seats if you're not from indiana and only come a few times

for the most part you need to stay in your section but you can move down a few rows to an available seat after halftime or so

when i go we usually wait until halftime to move down to any open seats

Scot Pollard
11-17-2010, 04:45 PM
We are a losing team. We haven't have a winning season since 2005-2006. That sums it up right there.

The Colts have earned the love of the city because they have won, year after year, and did something the NBA Pacers have never done, which is bring a championship to the city.

Like what was mentioned, the Colts didn't sell out back in 2003, the home opener against the Titans, which was my first game I ever went to, btw, but they went on a win streak, made a deep playoff run and have been winning and making the playoffs ever since.

If the Pacers did sneak into the playoffs this year, it would help, because we would at least have a somewhat winning record .500 or a little under, but we have to be successful, and continue it, and then and only then will we get the casual fans back and the buzz in the city.

I feel like the the take on the Pacers now isn't as negative as it has been in recent years, and the Pacers have done a great job marketing them and making them really fan friendly, and have gotten off their high-horse and actually started listening to the fans, because they were desperate, and also with the drafting of high character guys.

Right now, I think we are almost to lovable loser level.

I can only hope once we start winning the Pacers brass doesn't stop with the reaching out to fans and I hope they don't get the mindset that they don't have to do it anymore. Unfortunately, I think it will happen.

i agree 100% with you on this

teams need to earn their crowds and by winning they have big crowds every game

the colts have big crowds because they're a good team that makes the playoffs

the pacers have missed the playoffs with poor records for the past couple of years now but the team is getting there and will earn crowds when the rebuilding shows in wins and playoffs

both teams play in incredible revenues though

the pacers need to represent the love and devotion fans in indiana have towards basketball by winning

Bball
11-17-2010, 08:49 PM
I know the Pacers have done a lot of research on whether 7:30 or 7:00 is a better time for games to start. My guess is 7 is more popular because I think games ending at 9:20 is much better than 9:50.

I hadn't even thought about the starting times being anything but a league mandated thing (with exceptions made for TV of course). So other teams DO start regularly at 7:30 instead of 7PM?

You say the Pacers have done a lot of research.... did the other teams starting at 7:30 not do a lot of research too?

I wonder if the Pacer research was flawed? I could see being questioned about start times and SAYING I'd like 7PM better for the earlier end time and all... But I could also see it not really mattering to me in reality PLUS 7:30 being a little better for walkups and late decision makers. I can even think of a time or two where a 7:30 game might've meant I would've went whereas the 7PM start didn't jive with my schedule.

grace
11-17-2010, 10:40 PM
If we're voting on start times I vote for 7.

Trophy
11-17-2010, 10:51 PM
There's nothing wrong with the start time. 7 is perfectly fine.

Kaufman
11-17-2010, 11:04 PM
One factor in this whole thing is Indianapolis itself - geographically.

I don't know if anyone has brought this up.

Indianapolis is so spread out, without a major population base living around Conseco, that it is not uncommon to see the Pacers with light attendance on any given night. Even in the 1990's when we were beginning our run, there were plenty of, plenty of nights you could walk in and move down to a better seat.

While I agree winning has something to do with all this, I would imagine most fans in Indianapolis would have to travel at least 20 minutes on average. On the east coast, cities are more dense around urban centers where most arenas are situated. I think this is a major factor that is being overlooked. You can't just hop on a train or light rail and end up in the basement of Conseco.

Trophy
11-17-2010, 11:14 PM
One factor in this whole thing is Indianapolis itself - geographically.

I don't know if anyone has brought this up.

Indianapolis is so spread out, without a major population base living around Conseco, that it is not uncommon to see the Pacers with light attendance on any given night. Even in the 1990's when we were beginning our run, there were plenty of, plenty of nights you could walk in and move down to a better seat.

While I agree winning has something to do with all this, I would imagine most fans in Indianapolis would have to travel at least 20 minutes on average. On the east coast, cities are more dense around urban centers where most arenas are situated. I think this is a major factor that is being overlooked. You can't just hop on a train or light rail and end up in the basement of Conseco.

Both the Fieldhouse and Lucas Oil Stadium are in downtown Indy and not too far away from the city center.

It's a very nice arena and people probably wouldn't even mind making the trip to downtown Indy to go to the Fieldhouse and to see the Pacers play well.

Winning will bring people in no matter what and where in Indianapolis the Fieldhouse is located.

Even towards the end of last season when we went on constant win streaks, people came out to see the Pacers have success even though our season was done.

We just need to win consistently.

Evan_The_Dude
11-17-2010, 11:41 PM
I'll speak on this. I'm not a fair weather fan. I follow the team, watch all the games on tv when I can. Record them and watch them later when I can't. I follow all the players on the team, not just one. And I've been a Pacers fan first (Warriors fan 2nd) all of my life....

However, I think bad attendance has a bit to do with there being too many games, combined with a poor record, no star players (I measure star to the equivalent of Reggie's clutch playoff magic so no Granger doesn't fall there), combined with a lot of games being during the week, combined with the Colts success... I could go on...

What goes through my head as much of a fan of the Pacers as I am is: Hmm, I could pay for a ticket to go see them, pay for parking, and pay for food, and there's a good chance they'll lose. Or I can watch on tv from home, and save the roughly $40 I'd spend on going to the game. For me, all it takes is for them to show signs of making a strong push to the playoffs for me to not even think twice about going.

My point in too many home games having something to do with attendance is, there's too many home games FOR A LOSING TEAM. The thought of a lot of people might be "Well, they'll play 36 more games here this season. I'll catch them another time before the season is over." Whereas if you have a star player and a winning team, that same fan might feel that they'll miss a moment that they'd like to see in person, and more than likely attend more games.

Another thing the Pacers, and the NBA as a whole have going against it that the NFL has going for it is that games can be on any given night. Whereas in the NFL most games are on Sundays in the afternoon or early evening. Which is convenient. On the rare Monday night thats a big event, so people will say "What the heck" and go to that Monday night game. Hell there's only 16 games in a season anyway so why not?

My point: A .500 team will draw attention, a Championship contender will put butts in the seats.

Trophy
11-17-2010, 11:48 PM
My point: A .500 team will draw attention, a Championship contender will put butts in the seats.

I disagree with this.

A winning team that makes the playoffs puts butts in seats and of course championship contenders mean sellouts every game.

It's been proven that the people in Indiana go to Pacers games when they do well. Check the attendance for the last month of last season when we started winning.

Indiana is a fair weather fan state because they care a lot to see the Pacers and Colts doing well and in the playoffs.

luis3ep
11-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Both the Fieldhouse and Lucas Oil Stadium are in downtown Indy and not too far away from the city center.

It's a very nice arena and people probably wouldn't even mind making the trip to downtown Indy to go to the Fieldhouse and to see the Pacers play well.

Winning will bring people in no matter what and where in Indianapolis the Fieldhouse is located.

Even towards the end of last season when we went on constant win streaks, people came out to see the Pacers have success even though our season was done.

i got season tickets... and for me it's a 25 minute drive roughly... sometimes i'm like damn... gotta go to the game, just so i won't waste a ticket. for instance.. 3 home games this week is tough. Luckily i have free parking, but driving downtown 3 times a week from the northeast side gets pretty boring/tiring. blehhh

Trophy
11-18-2010, 11:01 AM
i got season tickets... and for me it's a 25 minute drive roughly... sometimes i'm like damn... gotta go to the game, just so i won't waste a ticket. for instance.. 3 home games this week is tough. Luckily i have free parking, but driving downtown 3 times a week from the northeast side gets pretty boring/tiring. blehhh

It all pays off in the end if we get the win. :D

DaveP63
11-18-2010, 11:38 AM
We had mini season packages for a couple of years. I live about 80 miles away. With gas about $3 a gallon, not getting out of Indy until 10 during the week, etc. it's just not in the cards to go more than once or twice a year. If I was closer, I'd be there as much as possible.

RWB
11-18-2010, 11:48 AM

Good points and it's even worse for those that travel across the state to catch games. First, I live 75 miles east of Indy and maybe I drive too slow (actually taking US 36/Rockville road is the problem) and it takes an hour and a half to get to the game. Well I get off work at 5pm, head home for a quick shower, try to grab a bite at the drive thru, and finally hit Conseco with the first quarter already started. Yes, at least through the week I miss the 7:30pm starting time, but also understand for folks living closer with kids it is nicer to get home at an earlier time.

duke dynamite
11-18-2010, 12:21 PM
It all pays off in the end if we get the win. :D
And that's a big IF.

My doorstep is 65 miles away from the Fieldhouse. That equates to a 2 to 2.5 hour round trip. A loss makes that drive feel so much longer.

BillS
11-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Good points and it's even worse for those that travel across the state to catch games. First, I live 75 miles east of Indy and maybe I drive too slow (actually taking US 36/Rockville road is the problem) and it takes an hour and a half to get to the game. Well I get off work at 5pm, head home for a quick shower, try to grab a bite at the drive thru, and finally hit Conseco with the first quarter already started. Yes, at least through the week I miss the 7:30pm starting time, but also understand for folks living closer with kids it is nicer to get home at an earlier time.

Yeah, wow, I'd think it would be a heck of a lot faster to drop down to 70 or at least 40 at some point.

count55
11-18-2010, 01:56 PM

Yeah, wow, I'd think it would be a heck of a lot faster to drop down to 70 or at least 40 at some point.

Wait, don't you live in or around Terre Haute?

I could see where it would take you a really long time to get to Conseco, if you were operating under the assumption that you were 75 miles east of Indy when you started.

BillS
11-18-2010, 02:33 PM
Wait, don't you live in or around Terre Haute?

I could see where it would take you a really long time to get to Conseco, if you were operating under the assumption that you were 75 miles east of Indy when you started.

:lol2:

duke dynamite
11-18-2010, 02:45 PM

Tickets were cheap to free then.

Trader Joe
11-18-2010, 04:31 PM
God, I would prefer 7:30 start times or even 8:00pm. I love it when we have 8:00pm tips.

grace
11-18-2010, 05:32 PM
RWB had me thinking I'd lost all sense of direction.

Scot Pollard
11-18-2010, 06:42 PM
i was watching a pacers documentary back in the winning days

man was that a full house...i miss it

...well im leaving my house now for the game hope we're not sitting in on our own island and surrounded by green tonight

pizza guy
11-18-2010, 07:41 PM
I live 2 hours north of Indy, so I don't make games very often (not to mention having two kids under 4 making the budget tight). If we were in or around Indy, I'd go a lot more often though -- winning or not, it's just fun for me.

That said, winning will bring the attendance. It's just that simple. I talked to a guy this week that live here in the same town as me and he told me that he stopped watching when the team started to lose "with all those thugs." He said he didn't mind them when we were winning, but couldn't put up with it whilst losing.

There is still a stigma from the "thug era," but if we started winning, people might see that there's new players and a new vibe.

Also, I wanted to say that comparing the Pacers to the Colts when they just started winning isn't an apples to apples comparison. The Colts had move to town and been wallowing in obscurity for years. We had a few good years with Harbaugh, but for the most part, the Colts were an afterthought in Indy. When Manning came along and turned this team into a serious contender, it was basically the birth of the Colts' importance in Indy. The Pacers now are in a completely different situation. They've been good. They've been top dog. And then they started to suck. There are plenty of Pacers fans out there waiting on them to be good again, whereas the Colts had to earn fans, and create a base. Completely different tasks.

Win and they will come.

RWB
11-19-2010, 10:16 AM
:lol2:

:o:o:o

Yeah, damn work taking away my thought process from important things like PD. Had to do an interview using a rubber hose, and heat lamp, in reference to a missing laptop.
WEST of Indy my friends. :blush:

duke dynamite
11-19-2010, 10:23 AM
I didn't get home until 12:20 last night.

Trophy
11-19-2010, 11:54 AM
I didn't get home until 12:20 last night.

You sir are what I call a die hard fan. ;)

We got the win so I'm sure the ride wasn't terrible and worth the trip.

Eddie Gill
11-19-2010, 12:31 PM
i was watching a pacers documentary back in the winning days

man was that a full house...i miss it

Do you happen to remember the name of that Pacers doc?

duke dynamite
11-19-2010, 12:43 PM
You sir are what I call a die hard fan. ;)

We got the win so I'm sure the ride wasn't terrible and worth the trip.
I hung out in the parking lot and lobby for a while after the game.

naptownmenace
11-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Losing won't help attendance.

The fans won't return to the games until the Pacers have made it back to the playoffs. Indianapolis fans are very fickle and the local media does a poor job of covering the team.
The attendance won't improve until after the team starts winning for a couple of seasons.

I hate to say it but there are a lot of fair-weather sports fans in Indy.

Not too many people attended the Pacers games on a regular basis until after Chuck Person and Reggie Miller got them to the playoffs a couple of seasons in-a-row. I remember walking up to the ticket office on game day back in 1993 with my dad and being able to pick up Pacers Playoffs tickets 30 minutes before game 4 against the Knicks. This was after the Pacers had surprised the Knicks and beat them in game 3 and they couldn't sell out the tickets.

Trophy
11-19-2010, 02:01 PM

How long does it usually take you to get to Bedford?

datguy
11-19-2010, 02:01 PM
I'll speak on this. I'm not a fair weather fan. I follow the team, watch all the games on tv when I can. Record them and watch them later when I can't. I follow all the players on the team, not just one. And I've been a Pacers fan first (Warriors fan 2nd) all of my life....

However, I think bad attendance has a bit to do with there being too many games, combined with a poor record, no star players (I measure star to the equivalent of Reggie's clutch playoff magic so no Granger doesn't fall there), combined with a lot of games being during the week, combined with the Colts success... I could go on...

What goes through my head as much of a fan of the Pacers as I am is: Hmm, I could pay for a ticket to go see them, pay for parking, and pay for food, and there's a good chance they'll lose. Or I can watch on tv from home, and save the roughly $40 I'd spend on going to the game. For me, all it takes is for them to show signs of making a strong push to the playoffs for me to not even think twice about going.

My point in too many home games having something to do with attendance is, there's too many home games FOR A LOSING TEAM. The thought of a lot of people might be "Well, they'll play 36 more games here this season. I'll catch them another time before the season is over." Whereas if you have a star player and a winning team, that same fan might feel that they'll miss a moment that they'd like to see in person, and more than likely attend more games.

Another thing the Pacers, and the NBA as a whole have going against it that the NFL has going for it is that games can be on any given night. Whereas in the NFL most games are on Sundays in the afternoon or early evening. Which is convenient. On the rare Monday night thats a big event, so people will say "What the heck" and go to that Monday night game. Hell there's only 16 games in a season anyway so why not?

I totally agree...they should have less games and I bet you'll get more fans in there. Football has an anticipation every week to game time and every game matters. With basketball it's just another game until the playoffs come then it matters. The NBA is just greedy with the long season and the 7 game series playoffs for every round. I'd like to see every team make the playoffs have the first couple rounds single elimination like the NCAA tournament then do series games for like the last 8 teams or something.

Trophy
11-19-2010, 02:06 PM
I totally agree...they should have less games and I bet you'll get more fans in there. Football has an anticipation every week to game time and every game matters. With basketball it's just another game until the playoffs come then it matters. The NBA is just greedy with the long season and the 7 game series playoffs for every round. I'd like to see every team make the playoffs have the first couple rounds single elimination like the NCAA tournament then do series games for like the last 8 teams or something.

I wouldn't say the NBA is greedy.

I think 82 regular season games and a 7 game playoff series is good.

Usually on the weekend, crowds are bigger.

BillS
11-19-2010, 02:50 PM
I wouldn't say the NBA is greedy.

I think 82 regular season games and a 7 game playoff series is good.

Usually on the weekend, crowds are bigger.

I'd think you wouldn't lose much going to fewer months, 62-game season, 5-7-7 format for playoffs. You might even make more because of heightened interest.

Trophy
11-19-2010, 02:54 PM
I'd think you wouldn't lose much going to fewer months, 62-game season, 5-7-7 format for playoffs. You might even make more because of heightened interest.

The MLB should seriously consider playing fewer games. 162 games and by August, a lot of stadiums are pretty much vacant. Quite frankly, it gets boring after a while.

The NBA is fine and people find it exciting.

duke dynamite
11-19-2010, 02:55 PM
How long does it usually take you to get to Bedford?
1 hour to an hour and a half.

Trophy
11-19-2010, 03:04 PM
I checked that link that Scot posted earlier and we're 28th in the league in attendance.

I thought we were better than that. Last time I checked we were about 20th.

We just gotta win and keep winning consistently and we'll then get at least 16,000 average.

duke dynamite
11-19-2010, 03:05 PM
I checked that link that Scot posted earlier and we're 28th in the league in attendance.

I thought we were better than that. Last time I checked were about 20th.

We just gotta win and keep winning consistently and we'll probably get at least 16,000 average.
"We"?

You don't even live here. Contribute to the fight against the attendance problem! :p

Trophy
11-19-2010, 03:11 PM
"We"?

You don't even live here. Contribute to the fight against the attendance problem! :p

I increase the attendance in 3 games. :laugh:

Whenever I go, the crowds are actually pretty big and sometimes I go during the week.

It's torture to see open seats because I'd definitly take advantage if I lived in the state, but I'll be making my annual trip to Indy this season.

Day-V
11-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Saturday will be a big test to gauge where the fan interest is currently.

pacer4ever
11-19-2010, 03:57 PM

lol with Mr. dildo LOL

Scot Pollard
11-19-2010, 04:04 PM

I thought we were better than that. Last time I checked we were about 20th.

We just gotta win and keep winning consistently and we'll then get at least 16,000 average.

oh yeah 28/30 that represents indiana so wonderfully but at the same time it shows we love winning because when we do well we get big crowds

duke dynamite
11-19-2010, 04:17 PM
lol with Mr. dildo LOL
I still think he should go for it.

IndyHoya
11-19-2010, 10:47 PM
Tickets were cheap to free then.

True. And food and beverages were cheaper too. Now it costs a family a small fortune to buy the tix, pay for the parking, and get something to eat. A family of four probably blows $150 to $200. I think you're right about costs having something to do with it. Four dollar hot dogs and $3.75 for a bottle of water constantly amazes me. It's harder to be loyal when you feel you're being victimized.

Scot Pollard
11-19-2010, 11:41 PM
im predicting a crowd of 15000+ tomorrow night because its saturday night and we're playing a good team

i think people want to come out to more games but they probably cant because of work during the week most teams have small crowds during the week

i think we might get a pretty big crowd after the tree lighting since a lot of people are already in the city and are probably interested in seeing the pacers

my girlfriend and i plan on going to indianapolis earlier in the day to hang out and she wants to shop then we'll get dinner, after that see the tree lighting and then head over to the fieldhouse

Pacersalltheway10
11-19-2010, 11:47 PM
Whoever reads that Indy moms forum probably thinks Roy hibbert and all the other pacers is a good for nothing, rude, disrespectful hazers and mocker because he "made" the rookies wear pink backpacks because of that crazy soccer mom.

Just sad. Where was this soccer mom when Pat McAfee got a DUI?

BillS
11-20-2010, 12:49 PM
True. And food and beverages were cheaper too. Now it costs a family a small fortune to buy the tix, pay for the parking, and get something to eat. A family of four probably blows $150 to $200. I think you're right about costs having something to do with it. Four dollar hot dogs and $3.75 for a bottle of water constantly amazes me. It's harder to be loyal when you feel you're being victimized.

$10 for a balcony ticket, $30 for snack food if you eat your meal before you come in, parking is $10 or less if you walk. $80, bump that to $100 if your tickets are a little better. Figure a first-run movie is $10 per for tickets and also $30 for snack food. It isn't like it is completely out of line when paired with other entertainment choices.

And it also isn't like Lucas Oil Stadium is the Wal-Mart of concession food, either.

PacerHound
11-20-2010, 06:28 PM
I hear so much about attendance being all about winning versus losing. True, no one wants to go see a team get blown out every night but to my mind attendance is more about cost and entertainment than it is winning or losing. Bring Bird into town, McHale, Jordan, Dr. J., Oscar, Cousy (the last 3 for the old, old timers) and you have a reason to go to the game win or lose. One goes to be entertained and while the competition matters, that is we win and they lose, still it is secondary to the entertainment value of the game.

Going back to last year Murphy had good stats but he could have averaged 30 a night but would you have paid to see him do it? Why not? Because it was like watching a guy shoot free throws all night. It might help you win but after awhile it gets old and boring.

That is why this team needs Hansbrough. He is the one player that makes the game exciting. Seeing him get after a ball on the floor under the basketball, fighting and taking it away from some other player on the other team, and going after it like Psycho (there is a reason for the nickname) can makes the game fun. O'Brien may feel he needs Posey and Posey is playing well but would I pay the kind of money necessary to go to a game to see Posey play? Nope! But I would like to see Hansbrough play in person. That would be a treat. (I can see myself wanting to see Paul George play down the road too but agree he is not there yet but I think he has great potential.)

idioteque
11-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Some of the commutes you guys make are amazing, we've got some great fans here on PD.

My parents live about a half an hour away from Conseco, so when I do go home, the commute isn't bad. I can take the Metro to the Verizon Center when the Pacers come here to DC and be from my apartment to my seat in 15-20 minutes on a good night.

Scot Pollard
11-21-2010, 01:51 PM
we currently stand 29th in the nba which is embarrassing

but we did have a great crowd last night and it was really loud the whole game

Peck
11-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Actually I was very impressed with last nights crowd as it was both larger than normal for us and more importantly filled with Pacers fans.

In other words I did not see a slew of Orlando gear nor did I hear loud chants for any Magic player.

Dwight Howard got a polite reception in the intro's but that was about it and actually saying it was polite was really the case as it was almost a golf clap like cheer.

I hate that the Pacers lost last night but I think almost everybody walked away feeling like we competed and almost beat one of the better teams.

Dr. Awesome
11-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Makes sense, I'd go to every game possible if I lived in Indiana. I have ordered NBA LP for as long as I can remember.

This year I didn't get it. Jim O'Brien has ruined it for me and if I lived in Indiana I wouldn't go to as many games as I would have otherwise. Now, I'm sure the casual fan doesn't get into as much as I do, but the few games they go to, I doubt they want to see bad basketball.

Scot Pollard
11-29-2010, 08:35 PM
:bump:

although the pacers wont be home for a few more days the attendance has gone up

the pacers shot up in the attendance standings after that huge crowd friday night

a lot of people purchased tickets on black friday and that was the largest amount of people to purchase pacer tickets in a long time thats what the ticket agents said

my girlfriend and i will purchase mini packages throughout the season we actually got ours friday morning along with all the other people in line

just fantastic to see the pacers representing indiana basketball well and a lot of people coming out to the games this season

Scot Pollard
03-05-2011, 07:59 PM
:bump: x2

WE'RE DEAD LAST IN ATTENDANCE!!!!!!!!

I'm happy we're not going to be seeing that moving forward and the attendance will be a lot higher.

The buzz has been bigger than it's been in years.

I think we can be like the Trail Blazers. They used to be at the bottom in attendance then returned to the playoffs then get big crowds every game.

At this time in a year I see us at 19th getting 16,212 people per game.

BringJackBack
03-05-2011, 08:10 PM
I don't know about other people not going, SP, but I will give you this. I went to 25-27 games last year and I would go with about five friends and we'd have a good time. We all had rides and we all had plenty of money to buy tickets, food, and a random thing at the Pacers gift shop (I still remember two years ago when me and my bros had to scrap money together to buy Danny's All-Star shirt. It was a mess to get that money. :laugh:). This year our families have no work and not only do we not have the money to go to the games, we don't even have rides to go to the games. We don't even have the money to scrape up 10 a piece, let alone parking, food, and cotton candy/slushies. Perhaps it's not just us and there are a lot more cases of people like us who can't go to the games. Believe me, I would absolutely love to go to the games this year but it's not my choice. We all talked about how this year or next would be the year and we'd be saving up money to get club seats for the post season and just have a great time but it seems like things have soured up so bad in our community that we can't even save up the money.

Shade
03-05-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm saving my money for the playoffs. If we make it, I plan to be there for Games 3 & 4 (and 6, if it comes to that).

Scot Pollard
03-05-2011, 08:27 PM
I don't know about other people not going, SP, but I will give you this. I went to 25-27 games last year and I would go with about five friends and we'd have a good time. We all had rides and we all had plenty of money to buy tickets, food, and a random thing at the Pacers gift shop (I still remember two years ago when me and my bros had to scrap money together to buy Danny's All-Star shirt. It was a mess to get that money. :laugh:). This year our families have no work and not only do we not have the money to go to the games, we don't even have rides to go to the games. We don't even have the money to scrape up 10 a piece, let alone parking, food, and cotton candy/slushies. Perhaps it's not just us and there are a lot more cases of people like us who can't go to the games. Believe me, I would absolutely love to go to the games this year but it's not my choice. We all talked about how this year or next would be the year and we'd be saving up money to get club seats for the post season and just have a great time but it seems like things have soured up so bad in our community that we can't even save up the money.

First off I'd like to say I hope you get out of your financial troubles soon.

I feel like there's plenty of people in the city who can afford to come out and see Indy's favorite sport.

It does have a lot to do with a ****ty team for the past 5 years, but the talk is a lot higher of this team and we had a good crowd last Friday and Sunday afternoon, but against the Warriors was the worst I've seen it since 2008, when we were last the whole year. There were 9,000 people there, but not me because I was battling a stomach virus during the week.

We're in good shape and we play in a great arena for people to be happy to come out and see the team. There's a lot to do at the Fieldhouse between quarters.

So in 3 years or so, we're going to have our fanbase back and hopefully we're out of this recession because sometimes I feel like I'm throwing money away when we lose and we're sitting in a sea of green.

Scot Pollard
03-05-2011, 08:30 PM
I'm saving my money for the playoffs. If we make it, I plan to be there for Games 3 & 4 (and 6, if it comes to that).

I'll need to get my tickets quickly because this when they sellout fast.

Basketball Fan
03-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks to BillS I got a ticket to the Pacers/Suns game and it was during the day so I didn't worry about having to walk at night to my car afterwards.

Its actually not too far from IUPUI about 15 minutes walking.