PDA

View Full Version : Horford a benchmark matchup for Hibbert

90'sNBARocked
11-15-2010, 05:30 PM
http://my.nba.com/cms/indiana_pacers_blogs/caught_in_the_web/156159/horford_a_benchmark_matchup_for_hibbert
By Bruno

The current statistics suggest the matchup between Roy Hibbert and Al Horford should be pretty even.

Hibbert averages 16.1 points, 9.6 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 3.0 blocked shots. Horford averages 17.4 points, 9.1 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 0.86 blocks.

History, however, foretells a much different story.

That's why, when the Pacers face Horford's Hawks Tuesday in Conseco Fieldhouse, it will represent one of the most important games of the early season for Hibbert.

"I don't know if there's any game that's not important as a yardstick for Roy," said Coach Jim O'Brien. "He's a third-year center. He's got a different body than he had last year. Whether you're guarding an Al Horford or anybody that is smaller and quicker than you, the challenge is to be at the front of the rim offensively and defensively the whole game.

"I think for Roy, there are going to be 82 regular-season challenges. They all have different faces. Horford one night, you're going to have (Chris) Kaman (of the Clippers) another night or Orlando with Dwight Howard another night. They're all challenges. Certainly any time Roy plays against a very quick guy we'll have a chance to see how far he's come."
This one, however, is a benchmark game for Hibbert.

The Pacers have lost six in a row to the Hawks, all with Hibbert in the lineup. In those games, Horford has averaged 20.2 points and 15.2 rebounds while shooting .646 from the field. Hibbert has averaged 8.2 points, 5.0 rebounds and .383 shooting.

The last time the Pacers beat the Hawks (Nov. 18, 2008), Rasho Nesterovic started at center and scored 21 points. Horford left in the first quarter with a sprained ankle.

Guys like Horford are a big reason Hibbert put himself through that staggering offseason conditioning program. He wanted to shed weight, increased his footspeed and agility specifically to contend with smaller, quicker opponents.

"That was one of the guys during the summer I watched tape on every possession I had on him, offensively and defensively," Hibbert said. "I scouted him during the summer and I want to have a good game, period. I just want to be able to play defense really well, get rebounds, get stops and move the ball.

"Practically every big I played against last year at least two or more times I scouted so hopefully I can do better this year."

Kaman's Clippers visit Thursday and Howard's Magic come to Conseco Fieldhouse Saturday, so this will be a busy week for Hibbert. But Horford is the guy at the front of the line of challenges.

"I think that Roy has to prove over a period of time that he can handle or play solidly against a Horford," said O'Brien. "I believe Horford was an All-Star last year, which means he was playing well against a lot of people other than the Indiana Pacers.

"He's a really kind of a great success story because he's an under-sized center, he's really quick and he can shoot the basketball from mid-range. He's challenge for Roy and Roy's got to show that he can negate some of the things Horford does, make sure he baits Horford into challenged jump shots and make sure he's able to stay in front of him and not give him straight-line drives to the basket."

FAST BREAKS

--Darren Collison sprained his right ankle during practice Monday and his status for Tuesday's game is uncertain. If he can't go, T.J. Ford likely would start with A.J. Price available for the first time this season as the backup.
--Tyler Hansbrough, who sprained his left ankle in the second quarter against Cleveland Saturday, did not practice and is day-to-day.
--Jeff Foster, who has yet to play this season and missed the past couple of weeks with an ankle sprain, was back at practice Monday and may be available against the Hawks.

Glad to see Roy utilizing his "Payton Manning study habitts"

ballism
11-15-2010, 06:01 PM
Agreed, this is the matchup I've been waiting for for a while now. We will get the first glimpse here of how Hibbert matches up against top centers in the league.
In Houston and Bucks games, Yao didnt play, Bogut didnt play. The Spurs game was the first of the season, neither Duncan nor Hibbert could defend each other there, but that game couldn't tell much - Duncan tends to start slow these years.

Horford on the other hand should be here, and he's playing even better than last year. Can't wait for this one.

90'sNBARocked
11-15-2010, 06:03 PM
Agreed, this is the matchup I've been waiting for for a while now. We will get the first glimpse here of how Hibbert matches up against top centers in the league.
In Houston and Bucks games, Yao didnt play, Bogut didnt play. The Spurs game was the first of the season, neither Duncan nor Hibbert could defend each other there, but that game couldn't tell much - Duncan tends to start slow these years.

Horford on the other hand should be here, and he's playing even better than last year. Can't wait for this one.

I agree

Hortford presents a different challenge than Bogut

Trophy
11-15-2010, 06:08 PM
This should be a fun matchup. Both Roy and Al Horford play a similar.

ksuttonjr76
11-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Get him Big Roy!

Trader Joe
11-15-2010, 11:03 PM
Roy should be able to take Horford to task on the offensive end. He's got about 3 or 4 inches in size on him.

Pacers4Life
11-16-2010, 01:37 AM
Haha yikes... i was really enjoying the article right up until the fastbreak part... I do not like the DC may be unavailable. I mean i knew it would probably happen at SOME point throughout the year... but this is too soon.

But it does maybe mean a glimpse at AJ which i have been wanting to see. Think sookie cares at all?

CableKC
11-16-2010, 02:35 AM
Once Horford pulls Hibbert out of the paint and JO'B sees that they are going with a more athletic frontcourt lineup then we are.....my guess is that we're going to see more of McBob, Posey and Solo and less of Hibbert.

Remember....JO'B is a match ups type of Coach where we match down to other Teams...we never force other Teams to match up to us.

skip2mylou
11-16-2010, 04:07 AM
Ugh, Roy always had problems with Horford. Horford got too much range on his shot.

Honestly, it would surprise me if Hibbert comes out as the winner on this match-up.

We always had problems with the Hawks, I'am really not expecting a win today.

Also, Horford defends Hibbert really well...this is gonna be tough for Big Roy.

PaceBalls
11-16-2010, 06:40 PM
This title made me laugh... I can see Roy getting benchmarked in his matchup vs Horford. I hope it's not some ironic fortelling.

Horford killed us last year in that game early in the season. I don't really know if we have an answer for him this year either. Last year Troy Murphy was playing most of the game so you would think it would be better this year. I think I'd rather see Josh and Tyler guarding him maybe. I dunno. It will be fun to watch!