PDA

View Full Version : What have you noticed so far this season?

luis3ep
11-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Things I've noticed:

- TJ ford has played very well defensively, and has cut down on his turnovers. TJ is killing DC in defense which is why Ford has been finishing games, and has had a lot ofminutes for a backup.

- Granger - Your shot is sweet this year.. He's been streaky tho.. sometimes they all go in, and at times they all miss. Wish he played more physical and aggressive sometimes though. Other than that, great job.

- Hansbrough is a huge fan favorite at conseco fieldhouse… i honestly believe he gets the loudest applauses there, even more than Granger. People(including me), just love his work ethic. He never gives up on a play, he is dedicated, wants to win, and you can clearly see his love for the game. Offensively he looks semi-lost so far i see.. but that will get better. Oh yeah, his shots are ugly as hell but most seem to go in. Love this guy

- McRoberts has not played well enough to warrant the starting PF position.. i think it's time for Hansbrough to take over the spot… he plays smarter, more intensity, and is a better defender. (this coming from a mcroberts fan)

- Dunleavy is exceeding most peoples expectations of him so far. He started slowly, but recently has found his shot/confidence. Very good production from him.

- Hibbert has played great, just sometimes… he forces shots. I also see him jumping to block point guards shots, they pump fake and drive to the basket.… he's 7'2… they are like 6'2 just stick ur arms up!

- Although he has barely played.. Rush likes basically the same, with just a tad bit more confidence. I expect this to change though.

- Collison has been a nice acquisition for us. He's more of a scoring point guard so far i've seen… he won't have Deron Williams, Steve Nash, Rondo kind of assists.. but he distributes the ball decently. It's crazy he's only a 2nd year player.. he's very young and already pretty damn good. good job DC… just work on that D a little more.

- Paul George is a really good defender. For a rookie, he is doing alright.. as long as he stays committed and humble, he will be a good player for this franchise.

- Posey has still got that sweet 3 pointer. God i hated him so bad when he hit those 3's on us.. now it feels great.

- I'm a little bit upset that Dahntay isn't getting playing time. Not even during garbage time. I feel theres something more than is already assumed going on there…

- Solo .. it amazes me when a guy has the physical tools to be a decent player… but his brain limits him.. that's Solomon Jones for you..

What have you noticed so far?

pacer4ever
11-15-2010, 12:45 PM
Things I've noticed:

- TJ ford has played very well defensively, and has cut down on his turnovers. TJ is killing DC in defense which is why Ford has been finishing games, and has had a lot ofminutes for a backup.

- Granger - Your shot is sweet this year.. He's been streaky tho.. sometimes they all go in, and at times they all miss. Wish he played more physical and aggressive sometimes though. Other than that, great job.

- Hansbrough is a huge fan favorite at conseco fieldhouse… i honestly believe he gets the loudest applauses there, even more than Granger. People(including me), just love his work ethic. He never gives up on a play, he is dedicated, wants to win, and you can clearly see his love for the game. Offensively he looks semi-lost so far i see.. but that will get better. Oh yeah, his shots are ugly as hell but most seem to go in. Love this guy

- McRoberts has not played well enough to warrant the starting PF position.. i think it's time for Hansbrough to take over the spot… he plays smarter, more intensity, and is a better defender. (this coming from a mcroberts fan)

- Dunleavy is exceeding most peoples expectations of him so far. He started slowly, but recently has found his shot/confidence. Very good production from him.

- Hibbert has played great, just sometimes… he forces shots. I also see him jumping to block point guards shots, they pump fake and drive to the basket.… he's 7'2… they are like 6'2 just stick ur arms up!

- Although he has barely played.. Rush likes basically the same, with just a tad bit more confidence. I expect this to change though.

- Collison has been a nice acquisition for us. He's more of a scoring point guard so far i've seen… he won't have Deron Williams, Steve Nash, Rondo kind of assists.. but he distributes the ball decently. It's crazy he's only a 2nd year player.. he's very young and already pretty damn good. good job DC… just work on that D a little more.

- Paul George is a really good defender. For a rookie, he is doing alright.. as long as he stays committed and humble, he will be a good player for this franchise.

- Posey has still got that sweet 3 pointer. God i hated him so bad when he hit those 3's on us.. now it feels great.

- I'm a little bit upset that Dahntay isn't getting playing time. Not even during garbage time. I feel theres something more than is already assumed going on there…

- Solo .. it amazes me when a guy has the physical tools to be a decent player… but his brain limits him.. that's Solomon Jones for you..

What have you noticed so far?

in a different system he would. He ave. 9 last yr when he started

luis3ep
11-15-2010, 01:57 PM
in a different system he would. He ave. 9 last yr when he started

Hopefully he has a better system to play in next year. :dance:

Trophy
11-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Darren just needs to play freely.

I actually think JOB has been taking it easy on Darren as far as letting him play like he wants.

JOB also needs to realize that Darren doesn't always have to race up the court. He can dish out assists if he slows down or guys set PnRs for him to get by and score.

I've liked Darren's game so far. I think he can bring a lot for this team down the road.

MTM
11-15-2010, 02:35 PM
I've noticed that we seem more athletic this year - not sure what the difference is there, but think it's probably the McRoberts over Murphy difference combined with guys like PG and Rush and TJ off the bench, all of whom are quick and can jump.

I've noticed from watching the home games on TV that the arena 'feels' empty and not engaged. However, the indication on this board seems to be that the 'excitement' is up, and that AREA 55 has helped. I'll be at a home game over Thanksgiving and will be able to make a better evaluation first hand.

I've noticed that we still lack a "winning" presence or aura about the team. I feel like there are some players who seem to have it - Tyler being a guy who carries it the most out there. Other guys just seem to play, and though they want to win, they lack that fire or will to win that results in taking over the crucial moments of each game and generating a collective will out of the unit on the floor. It's about execution in crucial moments, but it's also a "will" that still seems to be missing collectively.

Finally, despite all that I mention above, I notice that I am personally more optimistic this year than I was at any time last year, and feel good about the direction of the team for the first time in awhile.

duke dynamite
11-15-2010, 02:51 PM
There is an LED ribbon inside the Fieldhouse.

Oh, yeah and Dunkin' Donuts.

Wait...you were talking about the team.

Trophy
11-15-2010, 02:55 PM

Another good addition for the Fieldhouse was making MG the new PA announcer for the Pacers.

He does a great job with it and it seems like the crowd really gets into it and gets loud when he pumps it up without getting obnoxious like some other PA announcers that try and take over the whole game.

I've seen that new LED sign going around the Fieldhouse, that's really cool. I'm glad they added that.

And you can't go wrong with a Dunkin' Donuts. That's probably better than a Starbucks at the Fieldhouse. Starbucks is everywhere.

pacer4ever
11-15-2010, 03:32 PM
Another good addition for the Fieldhouse was making MG the new PA announcer for the Pacers.

He does a great job with it and it seems like the crowd really gets into it and gets loud when he pumps it up without getting obnoxious like some other PA announcers that try and take over the whole game.

I've seen that new LED sign going around the Fieldhouse, that's really cool. I'm glad they added that.

And you can't go wrong with a Dunkin' Donuts. That's probably better than a Starbucks at the Fieldhouse. Starbucks is everywhere.

there is a dunkin donuts half a mile from the fieldhouse also.

Basketball Fan
11-15-2010, 03:36 PM
I notice at least offline slightly more enthusiasm for the Pacers after that 20/21 barrage in the 3rd Q last week vs Denver. I mean its still Colts season right now but there at least is some passing interest in the Pacers.

Day-V
11-15-2010, 03:37 PM
I dunno whether or not the stats show it, but when I perform the Eyeball Test, it tells me that we're crashing the boards and rebounding a lot better in general this season.

HeliumFear
11-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Darren Collison is the kind of player who gets screwed by JO'B's system. We'd be a better team if he were creating with the ball in his hands anytime we weren't throwing the ball in to Hibbert.

As for the things I've noticed:

- We're still a bad D.Reb team. We need a real PF option for this to change. (Does this count? I've known this for a few seasons now)

- Jim O'Brien's head is huge. I don't know how I didn't notice it before this season. I caught myself staring at it from the cheap seats at the home opener. He looks like a living bobble head!

- Danny Granger is a beast when all he's expected to do is score and defend. He also seems to have learned when he needs to attack. He's playing beautiful basketball.

- The 3rd quarters for Indiana have been excellent this season! Seems like that's when we always got killed the past few seasons.

- Nearly without fail,the team will go away from Hibbert in the 2nd half.

pizza guy
11-15-2010, 05:47 PM
I dunno whether or not the stats show it, but when I perform the Eyeball Test, it tells me that we're crashing the boards and rebounding a lot better in general this season.

The Eyeball Test tells me that there's more energy across the board, not just on the boards. There's a youthful excitement with this team, and you can see that there is talent there. It's like they're feeling it out, trying to gel together completely. They're looking for their identity. Once they find it, which I expect to happen later this year, they'll make a strong push and win some games they "shouldn't" in a convincing manner.

I've noticed that they fall into complacency on offense sometimes and settle for entirely too many outside shots. When those shots fall, they all go in. But when they don't, it's ugly. That's the time we need to go to Roy in the paint and get some high quality shots and reset the pace to where we need it. Well, we should start by going to Hibbs and work from there.

Speaking of Roy, in our thread of predictions for his season, I posted that he'd average 20pts and 10rbs this season. He's sitting at 16/9 right now. Perhaps my guess was too high, or perhaps after the team works out its identity (or hires a new coach!), Roy will continue his improvement and make a genius out of me. :dance:

--pizza

Hicks
11-15-2010, 05:48 PM
I've noticed that no point guard, short perhaps of a star or superstar, will look all that well in this offense.

BringJackBack
11-15-2010, 06:34 PM
- The first and more important thing that needs to be pointed out is comptetition. Our overall talent level has improved and our old players who were less motivated to win- Troy, Earl, TJ, and Danny- all are either gone or they have had a new motivation to play better (Danny is just healthy, and some would say that the Team USA lit a fire under his behind).

- Our competitiveness brought in by new and improved players has made us a significantly more talented team. Our new players (Darren, Posey, and to an extent of not being on the floor last year Josh and Tyler) all play on a very high level and take very much pride into their jobs. Roy and Danny are more improved from years before and they are ready to win.

- Our point guard play is vastly improved. We have three point guards who can get their own shots and- at least as long as TJ plays with poise- can all do a good to decent job at running the team. Our system is not going to make a point guard look good but I feel that we have something special in our crop of point guards being Darren, AJ, and Stephenson (in my opinion he is a point guard).

- Paul George doesn't need as much work as I thought he would. I can't wait until next year when he begins to put things together.

- Roy Hibbert is VASTLY improved and is becoming a very good defender. He has went from someone with Rik Smits ceiling to a Rik Smits with very good rebounding and defense.

How good of a rebounder do you guys think Roy Hibbert will be in three years?

vnzla81
11-15-2010, 06:37 PM
I have noticed that JOB is still the same old guy we know

Scot Pollard
11-15-2010, 10:00 PM
I have noticed that JOB is still the same old guy we know

his white side burns seem more white from when we hired him

vnzla81
11-15-2010, 10:04 PM
his white side burns seem more white from when we hired him

Is maybe like pinocchio, they get wither everytime he tells a lie.

McKeyFan
11-15-2010, 10:29 PM
I've noticed that we still lack a "winning" presence or aura about the team. I feel like there are some players who seem to have it - Tyler being a guy who carries it the most out there. Other guys just seem to play, and though they want to win, they lack that fire or will to win that results in taking over the crucial moments of each game and generating a collective will out of the unit on the floor. It's about execution in crucial moments, but it's also a "will" that still seems to be missing collectively.
Word.

McKeyFan
11-15-2010, 10:38 PM
First, we are more athletic and defensive minded. This is because of Josh/Hans and because of Posey (yes, I like him to a point) and because of Roy's better fitness.

Secondly, we are a much "smoother" team because of Darren Collison. You don't notice it too much because he makes it look easy. But we are a team now with movement and options and a lifeline at the end of the clock to score (Collison himself). You can just sit back and enjoy it a lot more than you could before because Collison is at the point.

Third, we are still held captive by Jim O'Stubborn's whims and herky jerky decisions made from reaction and anxiety. The only person more stubborn is Larry Bird.

Noodle
11-15-2010, 10:40 PM

Speaking of Dunkin' Donuts and LED's.. I drove by one the other day near my Columbia home, and noticed a LED sign that said "Truck just in". This might only be funny to me, but in Columbia, we have Krispy Kreme doughnut factories that make hot, warm, gooey, buttery, delicous, sinfully glazed doughnuts on the spot, and their LED's always say "Hot and Fresh Daily". I think Dunkin' Donuts should refrain from admitting why they're inferior to their local competitor, and it's right there on the front window. :laugh:

Day-V
11-15-2010, 11:28 PM
Krispy Kreme is terrible. Dunkin Donuts and/or Long's Bakery are the way to go.

But I digress.

ReggiesUncle
11-15-2010, 11:32 PM
I notice at least offline slightly more enthusiasm for the Pacers after that 20/21 barrage in the 3rd Q last week vs Denver. I mean its still Colts season right now but there at least is some passing interest in the Pacers.

I have noticed this too. The crowds at the game have been bigger than I thought they would be.

As long as they stay around .500 they should keep the interest level high

Shade
11-16-2010, 12:24 AM
I've noticed that Jim's coaching still makes me want to bang my head into the wall until I'm unconscious.

Noodle
11-16-2010, 01:19 AM
Krispy Kreme is terrible. Dunkin Donuts and/or Long's Bakery are the way to go.

But I digress.

You obviously don't live in Columbia, SC.