PDA

View Full Version : Contender/Pretender Vol. 4 - Chicago Bulls

Ultimate Frisbee
08-25-2004, 01:40 PM
Hicks, I hope you don't mind if I do this... I'm just bored with the other topics and we missed this yesterday.

"Borrowing an idea seen on the RealGM Pistons board, we're going to go through, one team at a time, each team in the NBA, and discuss their potential for the 2004-2005, and ultimately decide if that team is going to be a Contender or a Pretender.

I'll start by listing who I think will be the starters, the bench players, and the head coach.

From there it's up to everyone to discuss this team, how good they could or should be, what record they might get, predict how their key players will perform, and ultimately decide if they are going to contend or pretend they are playing for the NBA Championship in 2005. (edit... or just for the playoffs)

I'm going to do this in alphabetical order from Atlanta to Washington.

Vol. 4 is the Chicago Bulls.

Probable starters (if I get these wrong tell me yours)

Kirk Hinrich
Ben Gordon
Eddie Robinson
Antonio Davis
Eddy Curry

Bench: Tyson Chandler, Luol Deng, Othello Harrington, Chris Jefferies, Linton Johnson, Dikembe Mutumbo, Andres Nocioni, Janero Pargo, Scottie Pippen, Cezary Trybanski, Frank Williams

Head Coach: Scott Skiles

Discuss.

Ultimate Frisbee
08-25-2004, 01:53 PM
Really, they should make the playoffs with the talent they have in their starting lineup and on the bench.

If Chandler is healthy they have a frontcourt. Their draft went well and Deng and Gordon should be able to help out this year. These two are not the typical Bulls draft and are actually proven players.

That said, they are the Bulls, and until they prove me wrong, I doubt they will make the playoffs.

debohstheman
08-25-2004, 01:54 PM
i think the bulls will be much better than anyone anticipates this year......

i think eddy curry will continue to make strides in his game....

and im very excited to see the backcourt combo of Hinrich and Gordon.....

it will be interesting to see what Deng's role is too...
there are a lot of veterans on this team...

Arcadian
08-25-2004, 01:59 PM
I am down on them now. I thought last year they would be at least in the hunt for a playoff spot. As far as I can tell they still don't know how to win or even compete on a nightly basis.

Kstat
08-25-2004, 02:09 PM
Heinrich
Gordon
Deng
Chandler
Curry

That will be the starting 5 of the bulls before midseason. I really like the collection of young talent they have over there. I think this year they will actually make a playoff push, they just won't make it in.

I will say CONTENDER to make the playoffs.

Shade
08-25-2004, 02:10 PM
Every year the Bulls are supposed to be a plyoff team, and every year they disappoint.

I see no reason for this year to be any different.

Skiles is not getting it done as coach, and the Bulls certainly have the talent. If Gordon matures quickly they COULD prove me wrong and actually make the playoffs.

Contenders for the championship? Pffffft! :tongue:

Pretenders.

ChicagoJ
08-25-2004, 03:06 PM
Thier season ticket advertising slogan is "through thick and thin". I think most people up here are expecting the Bulls to either take a step backwards or sideways. 25 wins at most. If they're smart, they dump Tyson's Chicken before he gets hurt again and they play the young kids a lot. But I don't think Skiles will make it through the season if that's the approach. They may have talent, but they have no clue how to use it (individually, or collectively).

canyoufeelit
08-25-2004, 03:19 PM
Curry and ERob are BUMS. Pretender.

Hicks
08-25-2004, 03:54 PM
Pretenders, but they may (finally) contend for a playoff spot again.

Kegboy
08-25-2004, 04:21 PM
I got burned bad on Chicago last year (picked them as 6th in the east :blush:), so I have a hard time seeing them doing anything this year. I like Skiles, but that roster's just f-ed up. Everybody's talking up their rookies, but, while a 1-2-3 of Heinrich, Gordon, and Deng would be great for a college team, I just don't see that passing mustard in the pros.

SoupIsGood
08-25-2004, 05:24 PM
Any other team with that much talent would make the playoffs, however the bulls aren't coached very well, and aren't very conditioned. Many players who are traded from there say they don't condition near as much as other teams.

Lord Helmet
08-25-2004, 05:31 PM
Pretenders.But Hinrich is promising.I see them win 25-30 games.

Burt_Reincarnated
08-25-2004, 09:53 PM
This team is alot different from last year. I think Deng might be dang good. I bet that jokes gotten old on him.. but it will be a test to see how he deals with losing. If they give him a chance to contribute I like this team. Gordon was pretty good too in college. This team could be a surprise this year. They might make the playoffs. The eastern conference is so hard to judge with all the personel moves. Who can shoot though besides kirk? I dont recognize some of the euro players, maybe they can hit a shot...

Kegboy
08-26-2004, 01:11 AM
I keep thinking about a line-up of Brad Milller, Elton Brand, Ron Artest, and Jamaal Crawford all playing together with Tyson Chandler (I think he was the one in the pick they had before the trade) coming off the bench. Man, has anyone ruined a team so thoroughly so fast before?

Actually, it was Curry. They traded Brand for Chandler. But I certainly see your point.