PDA

View Full Version : Next year’s draft facing talent drain/NBA lockout and draft related

vnzla81
11-14-2010, 04:51 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AuCQMcmGrXny6otsDJY_saC8vLYF?slug=mc-afterthebuzzer111210

Next year’s draft facing talent drain

NBA scouts project the 2011 draft to be lean on top talent, and the pool of prospects could be even more shallow if some college underclassmen and international prospects don’t enter the draft for fear of a potential lockout. One scout likened this year’s class to the 2006 draft, when the Toronto Raptors took Andrea Bargnani(notes) with the No. 1 pick. That draft has so far produced just two All-Stars: Portland Trail Blazers guard Brandon Roy(notes) (No. 6) and Boston Celtics guard Rajon Rondo(notes) (No. 21).

North Carolina freshman swingman Harrison Barnes could go as No. 1 pick in 2011 and has the potential to be a difference-maker for an NBA team. But scouts are projecting few others.

“This is a bad draft,” one scout said. “There will be a lot of players there, but no one special.”

Here’s an early look at 10 of the top prospects rated by NBA scouts.

1. Harrison Barnes, SG-SF, North Carolina freshman, 6-8, 210 pounds – Scout’s take: “He can score the basketball in bunches, really score. But can he make people around him better? He’s also a good rebounder, but he needs to improve his passing and defense. There’s a lot of work to do. He’s not a readymade player.”

2. Perry Jones, PF, Baylor freshman, 6-11, 220 pounds – Scout’s take: “He’s very long and athletic. A lot of people say he is lazy and has a very low motor, but he does have a great skill set.”

3. Kyrie Irving, PG-SG, Duke freshman, 6-1, 172 pounds – Scout’s take: “He’s the next Rod Strickland. One-and-done players are kind of rare there, but he’s good enough to play in the NBA next year. He’s a real true point guard. He makes tough plays and is a good passer. He’s like Chris Paul(notes), limited size-wise.”

4. Jonas Valanciunas, PF-C, Lithuania Lietuvos Rytas, 6-11, 230 pounds – Scout’s take: “Very long and can go to the glass on both ends. Can score in transition; plays above the rim. Nice hands. Still needs to work on strength against bigger players in the post. Playing big minutes in Europe against men.”

5. Donatas Motiejunas, PF-C, Italy Benetton Treviso, 7-0, 215 pounds – Scout’s take: “Long left-hander who can go to the post and score. Inconsistent, but can play above the rim. Like his skill set. Needs to get stronger. Could be special in time. Game more suited for NBA than Europe with his quickness.”

6. Jan Vesely, SF, KK Partizan Belgrade, 6-11, 240 pounds – Scout’s take: “He’s having a slow start for Partizan. He’s an energy player, high-motor kid. He’s receding a little. He hasn’t produced the way a top-five pick should. He’s an above-the-rim, hustle guy.”

7. John Henson, PF, North Carolina sophomore, 6-10, 200 pounds – Scout’s take: “He’s long with freakish arms for a 7-foot-1 wingspan. Very good ball skills. Used to be a point guard. Needs to improve his shooting and get in the weight room. He’s very thin with narrow shoulders.”

8. Mason Plumlee, C, Duke sophomore, 6-11, 210 pounds – Scout’s take: “Good athlete who had a solid freshman year and will be better this year. He has athleticism, size, great motor, finishes around the basket and toughness. Skill set not great, but he can improve.”

9. Josh Selby, PG, Kansas freshman, 6-1, 180 pounds – Scout’s take: “He’s a Jonny Flynn(notes)-type of point guard. High energy. He will pick up the pace of a game. Definitely likes to go to basket. He can apply a lot of pressure on defense.”

10. Enes Kantner, PF-C, Turkey, 6-9, 250 pounds – Scout’s take: “He set a scoring record at the Hoop Summit breaking Dirk Nowitzki’s(notes) mark. Scouts saw him be a dominant player. He is a very gifted player inside, solid rebounder. He will be a good, not great player. It might help his stock that he doesn’t play at Kentucky.”

Other prospects: Alec Burks, Colorado, Soph., G; C.J. Leslie, North Carolina State, Fr., SF-PF; Marcus Morris, Kansas, Jr., PF; Jared Sullinger, Ohio State, Fr., PF; Kyle Singler, Duke, Sr. SF; Chris Singleton, Florida State, Jr., PF; Renardo Sidney, Mississippi State, So., PF; Jeff Taylor, Vanderbilt, Jr., SF; Trey Thompkins, Georgia, Jr., PF; Jeremy Tyler, Japan Toyko Apache, C; Kemba Walker, Connecticut, Jr., PG.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bibby’s tough decision

Atlanta Hawks point guard Mike Bibby(notes) understands the difficult decision some college underclassmen and international NBA prospects will face in the spring. He had to make a similar choice in 1998 whether to leave Arizona early with the NBA on the brink of a lockout.

Mike Bibby

(NBAE/Getty Images)
Bibby opted to declare for the draft. He was taken second overall by the Vancouver Grizzlies, after which the league entered a lockout. The season did not start until Feb. 5, 1999, and teams played a truncated 50-game schedule. Because he wasn’t getting paid during the lockout and didn’t want to risk injury before he signed a contract, Bibby worked out but didn’t scrimmage in pick-up games.

“It was tough,” Bibby said. “I didn’t spend money I didn’t have. I didn’t go do anything out of the ordinary.

“I never had any regrets about leaving early. The main reason I went to Arizona was because of what they did for guards there. I didn’t plan on staying long.”

Bibby is now in his 12th NBA season. He said none was tougher than his rookie campaign.

“We would play three straight games in three days,” Bibby said. “We’d play five games in seven nights. It went by fast, but it was tough.”

Because some league officials think a lockout this summer could erase the entire 2011-12 season, current underclassmen will have a tough decision to make. Regardless, Bibby thinks any player who is certain he’ll go in the first round should enter the draft.

“It’s everybody’s dream in college basketball to make it to the NBA,” Bibby said. “Very few people make it. You got to take that chance if you’re going to be a first-round pick. I wouldn’t have gone back to school even with the lockout if you have a place [in the first round] solidified.”

vnzla81
11-14-2010, 04:55 PM
Me and JustinTyme have been saying for a long time that next year draft is going to be weak, a 1st round pick next year is not going to be as valuable as one from last year or a pick for 2012.

pacer4ever
11-14-2010, 05:14 PM
it depends on who comes out. Top 15 are pretty decent players if they decide to come out.

ballism
11-14-2010, 05:25 PM
I loved Valanciunas when i watched him in a junior cup this summer, he's tough and physical - while only 18 years old. But I'd be surprised to see 4 Euros in lottery, let alone top 10. Motiejunas for one doesn't seem ready and is always up and down.
This thing will change a lot.

IndyPacer
11-14-2010, 05:35 PM
I'm not happy about some of the guys I was had my eye on skyrocketing up the charts. I was intrigued by Vesely and Plumlee; I don't want them to be drafted so high. It's still way early, though. I really like Irving, but the PG position is solid enough that it wouldn't be worth giving up what it would take to get him.

Justin Tyme
11-14-2010, 06:00 PM
This is exactly why I've been saying the 011 pick isn't that important if the Pacers trade it. Some can't get past it will be a top 10 pick mentality, so it's sacrilgious to trade it. I don't see the Pacers being so bad they will draft top 10. Apparently, others feel the Pacers are one of the worst 10 teams in the NBA. NOW, is the time to put a pick(011) in a trade to get something of value for NOW, the present. There is no guarantee there will be anything of value to the Pacers when their time to pick comes. I truly feel the GM's of better teams realize this, and will be trying to trade/unload their 011 pick in trades. This is why Rush and 011 pick isn't an outrageous price to pay for Jason Thompson.

ballism
11-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Trading lottery pick for someone who looks like carreer backup is always a bad idea. You can always get backups in any draft. You don't always get all-stars in late lottery. And you don't always see starters late first round. That's why some drafts are worse or not as deep compared to others. But you can always find backups.

Tbh, considering recent track record of this management when it comes to drafting (Granger)/ trading for (Hibbert) rookies, im surprised some ppl are so impatient. At worst, we get a backup like Thompson. At best, we get another steal a la Granger or Hibbert.

And it doesn't matter where we end up. No.5 pick or no.16, you can get a backup at those spots every year.

Justin Tyme
11-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Trading lottery pick for someone who looks like carreer backup is always a bad idea. You can always get backups in any draft. You don't always get all-stars in late lottery. And you don't always see starters late first round. That's why some drafts are worse or not as deep compared to others. But you can always find backups.

Tbh, considering recent track record of this management when it comes to drafting (Granger)/ trading for (Hibbert) rookies, im surprised some ppl are so impatient. At worst, we get a backup like Thompson. At best, we get another steal a la Granger or Hibbert.

And it doesn't matter where we end up. No.5 pick or no.16, you can get a backup at those spots every year.

Just b/c YOU think he's a b/u doesn't make him one! How is drafting a PF going to help the Pacers NOW? Drafting a big early doesn't guarantee anything. Kwame Brown, Adonal Foyal, and Darko to mention a few are great examples of players drafted early that didn't succeed. I'd rather have Thompson who I know can help now than wait and hope some pick can help down the road while Granger keeps getting older.

How much do you really know about Thompson's ability or how much have you seen him play? What are you basing your opinion on that he's nothing but a b/u journeyman?

ballism
11-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Just b/c YOU think he's a b/u doesn't make him one! How is drafting a PF going to help the Pacers NOW? Drafting a big early doesn't guarantee anything. Kwame Brown, Adonal Foyal, and Darko to mention a few are great examples of players drafted early that didn't succeed. I'd rather have Thompson who I know can help now than wait and hope some pick can help down the road while Granger keeps getting older.

How much do you really know about Thompson's ability or how much have you seen him play? What are you basing your opinion on that he's nothing but a b/u journeyman?

I watch around half of Kings games, I've been following that team closely since Vlade Divac / Webber times.
Thompson hasnt improved in his first 2 seasons, he's 24 years old, and he's been extremely inconsistent. That in my view is the definition of 'better suited for limited minutes off the bench'. It would be naive to trade for him and hope he suddenly becomes a consistent starter.

You are right, my opinion doesn't mean much on this trade, but the same goes for everyone except Pacers management people, right? Am I the only one who thinks he's a backup? My impression was different while following this discussion.

I agree with you though, it seems that the disagreement here is mainly on the 'Now'. Thompson would be a much better backup than Solo. He would also compete at PF spot on this team. But if we give away picks just to replace Solo, we are likely to be stuck around 40 wins for the next decade.

Brad8888
11-14-2010, 07:03 PM
Surprised to not see Singler mentioned more prominently.

vnzla81
11-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Players I wouldn't mind trading the pick for:

Varejao
Thompson
Gortac
Bass
Patrick Patterson

idioteque
11-14-2010, 08:04 PM
That Plumlee doofus on Duke is a top 10 prospect? Yes, this draft must be weak as hell.

pacer4ever
11-14-2010, 08:27 PM
That Plumlee doofus on Duke is a top 10 prospect? Yes, this draft must be weak as hell.

most mocks hes been around 15 but ya he isnt too good

Trader Joe
11-14-2010, 08:34 PM
Every year we hear how weak next year's draft is. It's a common occurrence. Now if there is a lockout that will change everything.

PacerGuy
11-14-2010, 09:00 PM
I too would not mind trading our '11 #1 w/ an expiring to bring in some talent. Besides, I hope to be picking out of the Lottery n/y, so all the players listed would be gone. That said, of the players listed I would want (in order):
-Donatas Motiejunas
-Jonas Valanciunas
-Jan Vesely
-Kyrie Irving
-Perry Jones

I will add a player who is not listed & may not be the "athlete" or have the "upside" as those listed here - Shelvin Mack/ Butler.
After the Final Four, Shelvin got invited to several camps & became "texting pals" w/ several NBA guys. I recall Rondo being one of those guys, & after having Shelvin play at a camp he was hosting stated that Shelvin was a "stud". IMO, a well coached, hard-nosed PG who shoots & plays D is alwasy a great pick. I bet you will hear a lot more about SM, esp. at tournament time!

ColeTheMole
11-14-2010, 11:05 PM
I disagree with the article on one thing. This draft should be called better than the 2006 draft. Solomon Jones was taken in the 2006 draft. Enough said.

cdash
11-14-2010, 11:51 PM

I don't think he's the only one who sees Thompson as a backup. I mean, after all, he is a backup on his current team.

Mackey_Rose
11-14-2010, 11:56 PM
I don't think he's the only one who sees Thompson as a backup. I mean, after all, he is a backup on his current team.

He's been playing less minutes than Landry, Cousins, and Dalembert and basically the same number of minutes as Darnell Jackson.

So he's more like the backup's backup.

vnzla81
11-15-2010, 12:09 AM
He's been playing less minutes than Landry, Cousins, and Dalembert and basically the same number of minutes as Darnell Jackson.

He is the back up of the back up and still got 10 and 5 today(yes I know stats ;))

CableKC
11-15-2010, 12:52 AM
Players I wouldn't mind trading the pick for:

Varejao
Thompson
Gortac
Bass
Patrick Patterson
If the FO really wanted Bass.....they can probably trade an Expiring and some future 2nd round pick for him. From what I recall, the Magic FO isn't too high on him.

MLB007
11-15-2010, 01:08 AM

He's not even projected 1st team Big 10, but listed here while none of the 5 projected 1st team are.

This list is a joke of 1 guys opinion.

cdash
11-15-2010, 02:09 AM
He's not even projected 1st team Big 10, but listed here while none of the 5 projected 1st team are.

This list is a joke of 1 guys opinion.

I'm not sure what we're talking about, but for the record, Singler isn't in the Big 10. He's in the ACC.

judicata
11-15-2010, 04:15 AM

I think teams are not sure where he fits, since he isn't your everyday 3. I really think he should have left for this recent draft (earlier, actually). He is going to have to play significant minutes at the 4 this year, and that is going to hurt his stock.

Sherlock
11-15-2010, 07:06 AM
Maybe if the top five picks are weak, people are talking that this is a weak draft.
But we will not get the top five picks anyway.
I would say the talent of the top 10-18 picks, where the pacers might get, are more or less the same.

Justin Tyme
11-15-2010, 08:04 AM
I too would not mind trading our '11 #1 w/ an expiring to bring in some talent. Besides, I hope to be picking out of the Lottery n/y, so all the players listed would be gone. That said, of the players listed I would want (in order):
-Donatas Motiejunas
-Jonas Valanciunas
-Jan Vesely
-Kyrie Irving
-Perry Jones

I will add a player who is not listed & may not be the "athlete" or have the "upside" as those listed here - Shelvin Mack/ Butler.
After the Final Four, Shelvin got invited to several camps & became "texting pals" w/ several NBA guys. I recall Rondo being one of those guys, & after having Shelvin play at a camp he was hosting stated that Shelvin was a "stud". IMO, a well coached, hard-nosed PG who shoots & plays D is alwasy a great pick. I bet you will hear a lot more about SM, esp. at tournament time!

The top 3 players you mentioned are Euro players which means they won't becoming to the NBA anytime soon. So why pick them or any PF in the draft when it will be years b4 their contributions can make an impact? It's taken McBob 4 seasons to be able to make the contibutions he's making, and I can't think of another team he would be in the starting lineup. This is why I feel so adamant about trading the pick in order to help the Pacers now. The Pacers just can't wait 3-4 years after this season for the pick to develop.

Look at last years bigs selected. Patterson, Orton, and Lawal (plus others) are "suits", Aldrich gets little PT, Udoh is injured, Monroe is just now getting a little PT on a team starved for BIGS. Cousins is the only one really getting any PT, and he's had attitude issues with the coaches. The Pacers can't afford to wait years on a player to develop.

The problem is fans with "draft pick mentality" who can't give up picks can't see the forest for the trees, b/c they feel the Pacers will miss out on some super duper player. This draft is going to be WEAK. Players who would/could have been in it opted to declare last year. What's left is those that didn't declare in the mass migration to the NBA and the incoming freshman class. Some think in this weak class the Pacers are going to pick the jewel crown of the draft. That player who is going to be an immediate impact player. That thinking is just delusional. They are in denial that the 011 pick can help bring in a player better than what can be drafted. Sorry, but I want a player better than a potential Kirk Haston in the 011 draft. If the Pacers can get a good player by adding the 011 pick, then it behooves them to do it.

Justin Tyme
11-15-2010, 08:24 AM

I find it ironic some are willing to give Rush 3 qtrs of a season each year to start producing, but chastise Thompson for what he has produced in 8-9 games this season. Some are willing to give Rush a pass on his slow inconsistant starts but hold others feet to the fire for their slow start.

I notice you didn't mention last nights game. Or weren't you planning on mentioning his game last night with his 10 pts on 4/4 and 2/2 along with 5 rebs in 17 minutes of play? Would you like to compare that with Cousins 7 & 8 with "6 turnovers" in 25 minutes. He scored more than Dalenbert and Jackson didn't even play.

Will Galen
11-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Me and JustinTyme have been saying for a long time that next year draft is going to be weak, a 1st round pick next year is not going to be as valuable as one from last year or a pick for 2012.

That was easy to figure out. I said that before the draft two summers ago. I don't see it as a big deal who said it first though.

PacerGuy
11-15-2010, 09:24 AM
The top 3 players you mentioned are Euro players which means they won't becoming to the NBA anytime soon. So why pick them or any PF in the draft when it will be years b4 their contributions can make an impact? It's taken McBob 4 seasons to be able to make the contibutions he's making, and I can't think of another team he would be in the starting lineup. This is why I feel so adamant about trading the pick in order to help the Pacers now. The Pacers just can't wait 3-4 years after this season for the pick to develop.

Look at last years bigs selected. Patterson, Orton, and Lawal (plus others) are "suits", Aldrich gets little PT, Udoh is injured, Monroe is just now getting a little PT on a team starved for BIGS. Cousins is the only one really getting any PT, and he's had attitude issues with the coaches. The Pacers can't afford to wait years on a player to develop.

The problem is fans with "draft pick mentality" who can't give up picks can't see the forest for the trees, b/c they feel the Pacers will miss out on some super duper player. This draft is going to be WEAK. Players who would/could have been in it opted to declare last year. What's left is those that didn't declare in the mass migration to the NBA and the incoming freshman class. Some think in this weak class the Pacers are going to pick the jewel crown of the draft. That player who is going to be an immediate impact player. That thinking is just delusional. They are in denial that the 011 pick can help bring in a player better than what can be drafted. Sorry, but I want a player better than a potential Kirk Haston in the 011 draft. If the Pacers can get a good player by adding the 011 pick, then it behooves them to do it.

Not sure I understand the explination of the pick value as it relates to my post, as I started by saying I agreed w/ trading the pick, & that IMO we would not be picking high enough to get any of the players I listed. The players I did mention are the players I would pick of the ones listed by the OP - nothing more.
As for the "Euro's", the reason I had them at the top is that the 1) are the most talented (of those listed), 2) are the most NBA ready (of those listed), 3) have size & fit the need od a 4 / 5 (Jeff & Solo (& possibly McBob) will be gone, & we are thin w/ them), 4) Motiejunas & Vesely were late scratches as their stock had dropped out of the lottery, but in '11 they will be almost guarenteed top 5-10 picks - something that they would not have been in '10.

Justin, answer me this: Who do you think our #1 can get? It's great to sit there & state how there are no players worthy of the pick, but if you know that don't you think NBA exec's know that? I do think it has some value, and if combined w/ an expiring I think we can get something - but what? Who? I would love to know who you would target?
In the spitit of conversation, I will list some of my targets:
-Gortat (under-used IMO, great combo w/ Hibbert)
-Varejao (Foster-type energy, 4/5)
-B.Wright (potential - very athletic 4)
-A.Randolph (see above)
-Nene (if Mello is moved, they might want to rebuild, young & talented)
-T.Chandler (expiring, love his skill set & "D" paired w/ Hibbert)

I realize these are all "bigs", but that is a need of ours, & I also could not think of any non-bigs that jumped out at me. I would like a bigger b/u PG (if we move TJ), and would have listed M.Conely pre-extention, but not now. B.Gordon would interest me some, as he adds something we don't have, but only if we moved a wing (Dun) plus I am concerned about the lack of size a Collison/Gordon backcourt would bring (& am not wild about that contract).
Best case is we could get in on a Mello deal by offering a 1st (or 2) & expirings (+?) & get a D.Favors in a 3-way, but that is unlikely.

Will Galen
11-15-2010, 09:29 AM
Every year we hear how weak next year's draft is. It's a common occurrence.

The thing is you'll also hear someone say each draft is a strong one, it depends on who you're reading.

This being the Internet you have to pay attention to who gives good information and who gives bad information.

Mackey_Rose
11-15-2010, 10:20 AM
That was easy to figure out. I said that before the draft two summers ago. I don't see it as a big deal who said it first though.

If you didn't think it was a big deal, why did you feel the need to say you beat them to it?

Justin Tyme
11-15-2010, 11:56 AM
[QUOTE=PacerGuy;1097501]

Justin, answer me this: Who do you think our #1 can get?

if you know that don't you think NBA exec's know that?

I do think it has some value, and if combined w/ an expiring I think we can get something - but what? Who? I would love to know who you would target?

In the spitit of conversation, I will list some of my targets:
-Gortat (under-used IMO, great combo w/ Hibbert)
-Varejao (Foster-type energy, 4/5)
-B.Wright (potential - very athletic 4)
-A.Randolph (see above)
-Nene (if Mello is moved, they might want to rebuild, young & talented)
-T.Chandler (expiring, love his skill set & "D" paired w/ Hibbert)

I feel the 011 pick with Solo and Rush could get Thompson and Greene. Maybe Solo(expiring), Rush, and Stephenson/Price. I advocated last year how I liked both and would like the Pacers to acquire them. My feelings haven't changed. If Thompson is available, who can the Pacers get that is better right now at the 4/5 w/o giving up a core player? I'm listening folks.

Absolutely, I feel GM's are aware the 011 draft will be weak, and as I previously stated they, especially in the lower 1/3 of the draft, will be trying to trade their picks b/c of it.

Gortat isn't going to be traded, they have on one else to b/u Howard. I also feel he and Bass are overpaid. I'm not crazy about any of them on your list. Wright/Randolph's "P" plus a buck gets you a cup of coffee at Speedway.

I want someone now, and not next year. I'm tired of hearing "next year." Philly has Speights, but I doubt they are interested in letting him go. He was one of the players I wanted in that draft. To be honest, there just isn't alot out there that is available I feel the Pacers can get w/o giving up something sweet.

Will Galen
11-15-2010, 12:01 PM
If you didn't think it was a big deal, why did you feel the need to say you beat them to it?

I didn't say I beat them, you're assuming. I don't know when they first talked about it. They could have beat me for all I know. I don't read everything on here so I don't say I said something first.

My actual point is a good one.

Eleazar
11-15-2010, 01:03 PM
I find it ironic some are willing to give Rush 3 qtrs of a season each year to start producing, but chastise Thompson for what he has produced in 8-9 games this season. Some are willing to give Rush a pass on his slow inconsistant starts but hold others feet to the fire for their slow start.

I notice you didn't mention last nights game. Or weren't you planning on mentioning his game last night with his 10 pts on 4/4 and 2/2 along with 5 rebs in 17 minutes of play? Would you like to compare that with Cousins 7 & 8 with "6 turnovers" in 25 minutes. He scored more than Dalenbert and Jackson didn't even play.

It all depends on what you are looking for in Rush. If you think he has to be a scorer scoring 16 to 20 every night then yes he is inconsistent. If you are looking for him to be a good shooter who doesn't shoot just to shoot then Rush suddenly becomes a lot more consistent. Also there is a good chance that Rush would outperform Thompson if he was playing for a different coach and a different system. A system that plays inside out, not outside in. Players like Rush play better in better systems that have proven over the course of the last 100 years to be better than every other system, but for some reason people like JOB want to be different and try something that has failed in every incarnation.

Really?
11-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Yeah exactly every one has said this before, nothing new... This draft has the chance to be a hit or a really big miss depending on what the NBA does...

NFL isn't to far off, only difference is that you have more talented freshman and sophomores that can go to the league...in the NFL it takes more time to get your body ready as well as having to wait until 3 yrs after has to go to the league... But thats why last years draft was so deep because fro the same Holdout, Lockout thing...

cordobes
11-15-2010, 05:32 PM
The top 3 players you mentioned are Euro players which means they won't becoming to the NBA anytime soon. .

Why? I'm expecting all those guys to play in the NBA the year after they're drafted, they all have affordable buy-out clauses.

cdash
11-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Why? I'm expecting all those guys to play in the NBA the year after they're drafted, they all have affordable buy-out clauses.

I might be wrong, but he might be alluding to the fact that the Euro guys have more leverage than the college kids. If there is a lockout, all those Euro guys can just stay put and not be any worse off. Still making money, still in their comfort zones, and in a position to wait for the NBA. Some of these kids who go to college only plan on going for one year. Some need the money, some aren't cut out for school, whatever the reason may be. The cultural differences make Europe a significantly less attractive option for them.

cordobes
11-16-2010, 06:28 PM
I might be wrong, but he might be alluding to the fact that the Euro guys have more leverage than the college kids. If there is a lockout, all those Euro guys can just stay put and not be any worse off. Still making money, still in their comfort zones, and in a position to wait for the NBA. Some of these kids who go to college only plan on going for one year. Some need the money, some aren't cut out for school, whatever the reason may be. The cultural differences make Europe a significantly less attractive option for them.

Ah, okay, the lockout. Yeah, maybe in that case, even though I believe a lockout is highly unlikely at this point, with the NBA hitting records on revenues and tv ratings. But if an extended lockout happens, I'd expect more American rookies to follow Olowokandi's example from the last one and sign contracts in Europe too. Anyway, when the draft rolls, we should already have a good idea about the possibility of a lockout.

QuickRelease
11-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Surprised to not see Singler mentioned more prominently.You think the Pacers would take Singleavy?

Kegboy
11-16-2010, 07:16 PM
Every year we hear how weak next year's draft is. It's a common occurrence. Now if there is a lockout that will change everything.

And by late June it'll be one of the best drafts ever and people will be advocating giving up DC, Danny and Roy to move up 3 spots.

I don't really see the lockout affecting things much. They have to declare two months before the CBA is up, so unless everyone agrees that things are definitely going nuclear I don't think many will hang their hat on it.