PDA

View Full Version : 83 Points?

brichard
11-13-2010, 11:21 PM
Man, I didn't expect IU to win the game, but I would do everything in my power not to allow that to happen if I were coaching the winning team. I would run every down, that just seems to be poor in taste in my opinion.

Psyren
11-13-2010, 11:38 PM
I tend to both disagree and agree.

Yes, the coach probably should have not allowed it to happen, but at the same time look at this way.

There were quite a few times where Wisconsin did run the football. IU simply could not stop them. That's no fault of the coaches. He's not going to tell his backs to simply fall down and run the clock because the other team is incapable of tackling.

Trader Joe
11-13-2010, 11:40 PM
We just suck that bad.

cdash
11-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Look on the bright side: That was the nail in the coffin for Bill Lynch. Good riddance to you, sir.

Day-V
11-13-2010, 11:50 PM
I thought it was kinda funny.

brichard
11-14-2010, 12:37 AM
Here is the thing, I don't think we suck THAT bad. You have to remember, this is the same team that was inches away from beating both Michigan earlier in the year and Iowa just last week. Our defense is beyond terrible, or we would have won the Michigan game.

I did not watch the game, but there was one player on Wisconsin who had a field day returning kicks, interceptions, etc. I also think they were throwing on 3rd down. If you intercept and have a pick 6... what do you do?

And had we been beat 60-20... I actually could live with that. But if you come up with 83 points, you aren't holding back enough. I just don't see it.

But I do agree with the optimism that Lynch should be gone. But, before we get rid of him, I hope we have a line on a good coach. This won't be the first coach we have fired who couldn't turn it around, and I'm not interested in another coach on the long list of losers.

jeffg-body
11-14-2010, 01:20 AM
I was a little shocked myself. I go outside a second and it goes from a nice 17-10 ball game to a 31-10 game. I take a walk to the store and come back and it is like 45-10. I finally just turned the channel and watched the UFC 100 Greatest Matches.

Stryder
11-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Man, I didn't expect IU to win the game, but I would do everything in my power not to allow that to happen if I were coaching the winning team. I would run every down, that just seems to be poor in taste in my opinion.

Wisconsin attempted 21 total passes the entire game. It just so happens that they connected on 17 of them for 260 yards and 4 touchdowns.

They rushed the ball 47 times for 338 yards and 6 touchdowns.

Not so sure that's called running up the score. They simply outplayed and outclassed IU. Period. These players are adults. They are playing big time, division 1 football. They can handle it.

ChicagoJ
11-15-2010, 11:46 AM
We really need to join the MAC for football. Except for '45, '67, and a couple of years under Mallory, we've never been close to being a national contender.

Let's move to a league/ conference that is more evenly matched. Let Wisconsin, Iowa, Ohio State, etc. find a new whipping boy.

Trader Joe
11-15-2010, 12:16 PM
We're here for basketball J. Football is merely there to just bring in some money.

Since86
11-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Look on the bright side: That was the nail in the coffin for Bill Lynch. Good riddance to you, sir.

He might be the only coach to fail at a MAC school, only for a Big Ten school to hire him, and then think it was a "good" one.

Bill Lynch as a head coach was already dead and buried, before you decided to dig him back up.

ChicagoJ
11-15-2010, 12:46 PM
We're here for basketball J. Football is merely there to just bring in some money.

Understood. I mean for the move to be football-only.

ChicagoJ
11-15-2010, 12:48 PM
He might be the only coach to fail at a MAC school, only for a Big Ten school to hire him, and then think it was a "good" one.

Bill Lynch as a head coach was already dead and buried, before you decided to dig him back up.

Keep in mind,

a) That was Hoeppner's staff. Lynch is fine as an assistant.
b) Most of us hated the idea that Lynch got an extension.
c) Even with all the "football money" that Joe refererred to, our Athletic Department is broke from paying multiple basketball and football coaches at once. Is Di'Nardo still on payroll?

Trader Joe
11-15-2010, 12:49 PM
I don't think that would be allowed, nor would I encourage it (Moving out of the Big Ten for football). We make money when Ohio State, Michigan, etc. sell out our stadium, even if they beat us by 100 points, it's money in our pockets. When one of those programs makes a BCS bowl, we make money. I don't see the improved record the MAC might give us making up for our lost revenue from those sort of things as well as the Big Ten Network. I'm willing to go 0-12 every year in football if it means we have a ton of money to spend on new basketball facilities like the one we just built.

And honestly, I don't buy that it's impossible to build a competitive program at IU. Hoeppner was on his way to doing so IMO, Lynch set us back about 5 years. I will never understand that move. They need to reboot the way they handle the football program. It's like we only pay 20% attention to it when we make decisions. Like whoever reviewed Lynch's contract saw he made one bowl game, and was like "Well, he must be doing something right!"

As far as paying Dinardo, I still think we might be paying Cam Cameron.

ChicagoJ
11-15-2010, 01:02 PM
You wouldn't encourage it, but I would.

I care a lot more about IU football than IU basketball. I've been to a number of IU bowl games over the years and its been 15+ years since we've consistently been a bowl team. I'd rather be a consistent contender in the MAC than the Big Ten's doormat. Especially with Nebraska on its way.

Its too bad we hung onto Mallory for too long and let the program sink back into the abyss he raised it from.

Trader Joe
11-15-2010, 01:41 PM
I think you're probably alone on that island then...

You're probably the first person I've ever met that says they care more about IU football than IU basketball...you must be a glutton for punishment.

Since86
11-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Keep in mind,

a) That was Hoeppner's staff. Lynch is fine as an assistant.
b) Most of us hated the idea that Lynch got an extension.
c) Even with all the "football money" that Joe refererred to, our Athletic Department is broke from paying multiple basketball and football coaches at once. Is Di'Nardo still on payroll?

I know the situation. I also know what Bill Lynch did at Ball State. Anyone even THINKING Bill should have been the coach the next full year after Heop's death should have been fired, immediately.

If a guy can't hack it in the MAC, you really think he's going to make a name for himself in the Big 10? He couldn't recruit/coach against teams like Central Michigan, let alone the University of Michigan.

I told you this was going to be the ending a couple of years ago. You don't make decisions purely based on emotions. This is where it gets you.

ChicagoJ
11-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Right, but he was and is the cheapest option available for an athletic department that's already broke.

We can't afford to compete in the Big Ten for football, and that has nothing to do with the fact that Lynch is a terrible coach. Both of those, of course, are true, just unrelated.

pwee31
11-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Wish it was the nail in the coffin with Bill Lynch, but I don't think that's the case.

I feel he was only hired b/c of Heps passing and the team getting into the bowl game that year . I understood it, but I disliked it.

Hope the team and get an actual coach. At least a young up and coming coach. Would've been nice to get Jim Harbaugh before he went to Stanford.

Any of you know of any up and coming coaches that may in interested in Indiana? Or any coaches that weren't too bad elsewhere and just got a raw deal?

ChicagoJ
11-15-2010, 06:01 PM
I think you're probably alone on that island then...

You're probably the first person I've ever met that says they care more about IU football than IU basketball...you must be a glutton for punishment.

Yeah, its my Dad's fault.

Growing up, IU football tickets were a lot easier for him to get than IU basketball tickets. He'd take me to a couple of football games/ year, and we never missed an IU football game on the radio, but we probably only got into Assembly Hall every other year.

In his circle of HPER friends, that is pretty common. I understand the rest of the student body doesn't care. But he was a senior in '67 with a number of friends that played in the Rose Bowl.

Trader Joe
11-15-2010, 07:51 PM
Hey, I can respect it. I just don't understand it. My Dad was a senior at IU when Isaiah and Knight lead us to the promised land, so I was raised on a strict diet of IU basketball and hating everything about Purdue.

Perfect case in point about no one caring about IU football is the Penn State game this weekend, they said it would be a great way to get out in front of east coast recruits (HA!), when in reality it's all about the $3million Penn State is shelling out to us to come get our asses handed to us on National TV.

That money will almost certainly be funneled directly into the basketball program. Well maybe the football team will get money for their flights home...maybe.

ChicagoJ
11-15-2010, 11:28 PM
What's your source on those dollar amounts?

I'd rather the football team fund the men's and women's track, swimming, and soccer teams, where Indiana has even better traditions than either basketball or football. Basketball (as the other "revenue" sport) can pay for itself.

Trader Joe
11-15-2010, 11:41 PM
IU, after playing at Penn State for two years in a row, has agreed, in exchange for 3 million dollars, to move the 2010 IU "home" game to FedEx Field in Landover, Maryland, the 91,000 seat home field of the Washington Redskins. The game will be played on November 20, 2010, and as best I can tell, IU has to sell 7,000 tickets.

http://www.crimsonquarry.com/2009/8/26/1002700/indiana-sells-2009-home-game

You can find it in a lot of places, but there's one.

I wish we did have a slightly better soccer stadium maybe with more seats, especially since we use it for Little 5 as well.

Shade
11-16-2010, 12:20 AM
The only reason I'm not ranting about Lynch is because I've got all of my hate focused on Jim O'Brien right now.

If anyone cares to dig it up, you can see that I was quite unhappy when we held onto Lynch. I said he would drag us right back down and, sure enough, here we are.

ChicagoJ
11-16-2010, 09:29 AM
http://www.crimsonquarry.com/2009/8/26/1002700/indiana-sells-2009-home-game

You can find it in a lot of places, but there's one.

I wish we did have a slightly better soccer stadium maybe with more seats, especially since we use it for Little 5 as well.

Oh, I remember this now. I misread, I thought you were saying Penn State was paying us $3 million to play at their stadium, and I'm pretty sure Big Ten rules don't allow for that.

Slick Pinkham
11-16-2010, 10:14 AM
If he doesn't have other baggage besides ordering a bratty concussed kid into a shed, I would love to hire Mike Leach, the former Texas Tech coach. Stubborn as a mule, but an offensive genius.

It will always be hard to recruit football players to Indiana, given the competition. His offensive philosophy would be entertaining, though. I would think that kids might want to play that style.

We might still give up 83 points, but maybe we'd win 86-83!

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad120/ssross1/Ohio-State-sucks-castaway.jpg

Sollozzo
11-16-2010, 11:08 AM
The fact that we sold a home game shows that we don't have a complete commitment to winning football games at IU. We almost certainly would have lost the game in Bloomington, but we still would have had a much better chance of winning there then we will at FedEx field. That will be like a home game for Penn State given all the alumns they have on the East Coast.

Trader Joe
11-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Oh, I remember this now. I misread, I thought you were saying Penn State was paying us $3 million to play at their stadium, and I'm pretty sure Big Ten rules don't allow for that.

Haha, no. But it might as well be a home game for them.

Trader Joe
11-16-2010, 12:22 PM
If he doesn't have other baggage besides ordering a bratty concussed kid into a shed, I would love to hire Mike Leach, the former Texas Tech coach. Stubborn as a mule, but an offensive genius.

It will always be hard to recruit football players to Indiana, given the competition. His offensive philosophy would be entertaining, though. I would think that kids might want to play that style.

We might still give up 83 points, but maybe we'd win 86-83!

I would be OK with Leach, he's definitely got an abrasive personality, but I don't think he's ever been accused of cheating. Although, I'd imagine after getting burned hard by Sampson, the brass at IU is a little weary of taking a flier on a high risk, high reward coach from the Big 12.

Since86
11-16-2010, 01:13 PM
I know you guys haven't brought up his name, but I hear Peegs is going nuts about him, so I'll just go ahead and say it.

You got no chance in hell to land Brady Hoke. Not one. Zilch. Nodda. Nope. Non. Nein. etc.

When he goes to the Big 10, he will be wearing Blue and Maize. He wants the Michigan job, and he will eventually get it. (I think he'll be right there after Rich Rod is booted)

Trader Joe
11-16-2010, 01:46 PM
The only time I listen to Peegs is when it comes to recruits because he has a ton of people in his ear, otherwise I find him to be a blowhard with a big podium.

Trader Joe
11-16-2010, 01:52 PM
And to be honest, Peegs was pretty slow on the uptake when it came to Zeller, Dakich gets the credit for calling his commitment before anyone else.

Bball
11-16-2010, 01:56 PM
The only reason I'm not ranting about Lynch is because I've got all of my hate focused on Jim O'Brien right now.

If anyone cares to dig it up, you can see that I was quite unhappy when we held onto Lynch. I said he would drag us right back down and, sure enough, here we are.

Sometimes the only thing being bitter and negative gets you is the satisfaction of being right... ;)

Trader Joe
11-16-2010, 02:17 PM
I mean, was there anyone who was exactly doing backflips about the Lynch extension? I thought it was universally agreed upon that it was a terrible decision.

ChicagoJ
11-17-2010, 10:39 AM

love the picture.

ChicagoJ
11-17-2010, 10:43 AM
I mean, was there anyone who was exactly doing backflips about the Lynch extension? I thought it was universally agreed upon that it was a terrible decision.

Right. Except that it was the cheapest possible solution.

I still don't see what DiNardo did wrong, but then again who would have thought Hoeppner would get sick.

Too bad Cameron is a career coordinator. Was really hoping he'd be the guy but he wasn't.

Trader Joe
11-17-2010, 11:29 AM
Right. Except that it was the cheapest possible solution.

I still don't see what DiNardo did wrong, but then again who would have thought Hoeppner would get sick.

Too bad Cameron is a career coordinator. Was really hoping he'd be the guy but he wasn't.

I thought DiNardo was stuck in neutral.

Hep passing just hit us like a ton of bricks, was he the best X's and O's guy in the world? No, but he was average at least, and he had a motor that never stopped, and actually loved the program. :cry: The man had passion and a vision, his first press conference with the rose in front of him was just that. Just like Crean has shown the passion to reignite the basketball program I honestly think Hep would have done the same for football, but now it is time to move on from the Hep era. We have top flight facilities, and it is time to get a coach in here that can sell them.

Also, I don't know what happened when I showed up at IU, but I was there for arguably the four most depressing years of athletics in the school's history. From Hep's passing to Sampson's Debacle to the IU Soccer program criminally underachieving, I guess it was just the Pacer fan in me bleeding on to everything else.

Sollozzo
11-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Also, I don't know what happened when I showed up at IU, but I was there for arguably the four most depressing years of athletics in the school's history. From Hep's passing to Sampson's Debacle to the IU Soccer program criminally underachieving, I guess it was just the Pacer fan in me bleeding on to everything else.

At least the Colts beat the Bears our freshman year. Rubbing that in the faces of the Chicago people and northern Indiana Chicago wannabees still brings a smile to my face, given how obnoxious they were throughout that 06 season.

But you're right about how depressing IU athletics were throughout our four years. It was kind of the best of times and the worst of times...but more of the worst.....The 06-07 bball team was a fun team to watch and things were great when we were at the height of our strength in the 07-08 season, then it all came crashing down. And at least we got to see a football victory over Purdue in exciting fashion.

ChicagoJ
11-17-2010, 01:28 PM
With only three seasons, and Cameron's lousy recruiting (one of the reasons he'll be a great assistant coach for the rest of his career), what did you expect from DiNardo?

I think Hep was an upgrade, but enough of an upgrade to justify paying them both? I don't know. You can't talk about how bad Lynch is without acknowledging what put us here in the first place.

Slick Pinkham
11-18-2010, 09:25 AM
love the picture.

I stole it from a Peegs poster, I forget who.

cdash
11-22-2010, 01:37 PM
I know you guys haven't brought up his name, but I hear Peegs is going nuts about him, so I'll just go ahead and say it.

You got no chance in hell to land Brady Hoke. Not one. Zilch. Nodda. Nope. Non. Nein. etc.

When he goes to the Big 10, he will be wearing Blue and Maize. He wants the Michigan job, and he will eventually get it. (I think he'll be right there after Rich Rod is booted)

I don't know anything about our chances with Hoke, but I don't know that he ends up at Michigan. If the Wolverines were to fire Rich Rodriguez, one would think the slam dunk, no brainer pick would be Jim Harbaugh of Stanford, no? Unless he decides to go to the NFL instead.

cdash
11-22-2010, 01:38 PM
The only time I listen to Peegs is when it comes to recruits because he has a ton of people in his ear, otherwise I find him to be a blowhard with a big podium.

Why is that?

Trader Joe
11-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Why is that?

Just the way I read his stuff, don't know how to explain it, I just don't like him. His opinion stuff is usually very reactionary and poorly thought out. I respect his info he can get on recruits, but otherwise, color me unimpressed on his opinion pieces.

Kegboy
11-27-2010, 09:02 PM
Congrats on the win guys. It was almost worth it just to see your kicker thrown around like a blow-up doll.

Sollozzo
11-27-2010, 11:04 PM
Too bad we sold that Penn State game. If that game is at home then maybe that's enough to pull it out.

cdash
11-28-2010, 12:41 AM
I always love seeing us beat the Boilers. I just hope it wasn't enough to save Lynch's job. Beating a (sorry Purdue fans) crappy team with all their best players hurt in OT isn't exactly a sign of progress to me.

Pig Nash
11-30-2010, 01:40 AM
And it wasn't. Bill Lynch is gone.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20101129/SPORTS0601/11290325/1069/SPORTS0601/

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- In a hastily called news conference Sunday to announce that Indiana football coach Bill Lynch and his staff would not be retained for the final year of Lynch's contract, athletic director Fred Glass made a few things perfectly clear:

He's not in a rush to hire a new coach.
He will not form a search committee but rather will make this decision on his own with guidance.
He's willing to pay top dollar to confirm IU's commitment to the football program.
"We are going to have a national search, and I will lead that personally,'' Glass said. "There will not be a search committee. I think it's important for people to understand, including but not only potential candidates, that this decision will be my decision.
"At the end of the day, the buck stops with me. I think that's particularly important to underscore given in the past it has been a little unclear (at Indiana) who has been making the choices of coaches.''
Glass said he will seek the advice of a number of people, including Indianapolis Colts president Bill Polian, former Colts coach Tony Dungy, members of Glass' staff, past and current IU football players as well as a host of other colleagues in and around college football. He said IU also has hired the consulting firm Neinas Sports Services.
Asked about a timetable for Lynch's successor, Glass said, "It's more important that we get it right than we get it fast.''
As for the money issue, Glass didn't hesitate to respond. Lynch's yearly salary of just more than $660,000 ranked last in the Big Ten.
"We're prepared to make available the financial resources we need to get the person and persons that we want,'' Glass said.
Glass said IU would honor all verbal commitments the university received for the upcoming recruiting class.
One of those recruits, Lawrence Central High School quarterback Tre Roberson, said he hadn't heard about Lynch being fired when contacted by a reporter.
"I'll have to see who comes in as the new coach,'' said Roberson, who was recruited by Lynch's son, wide receivers coach Billy Lynch. "I'll wait and see and then make a decision on what I want to do. I'm still committed to Indiana.''

Trader Joe
11-30-2010, 09:29 AM
Honestly, I'd retain Billy Lynch as an assistant if we could. He did a marvelous job with our receivers while he was here.

cdash
11-30-2010, 01:48 PM
This is a big hire for Glass. It's his first major coaching hire since he took over as AD. He is saying all the right things, let's see who he brings in here to help turn around our awful football program.

Kegboy
11-30-2010, 02:46 PM
There's a good point that's been made by TPTB about all that TV money. I think you guys are finally in a position to be serious about funding a serious program. Still gonna be a tough sell, especially with being stuck in the hard division and having to play a resurgent Michigan State as your "rival".

That said, Notre Dame's not looking so hot, and Danny Hope sure ain't lighting up much of anything, so the opportunity is there to really change the local landscape with a big time hire.