PDA

View Full Version : Baseball field question

Stryder
11-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Why are baseball fields not standardized throughout the MLB? I'm referring to distances to the fence for homeruns...I mean, if you look at other sports, football fields are the same distances, basketball courts have the same dimensions....

Day-V
11-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Why are baseball fields not standardized throughout the MLB? I'm referring to distances to the fence for homeruns...I mean, if you look at other sports, football fields are the same distances, basketball courts have the same dimensions....

If you think about it really, only Basketball and Hockey use standardized playing surfaces. Even though football fields are the same length, they vary from FieldTurf to Grass, and the quality of the grass often varies, not to mention the Dome vs Open Stadium ordeal.

I think it's just Baseball trying to maintain it's history by having the little quirk of all stadiums being different.

Stryder
11-12-2010, 10:47 PM
If you think about it really, only Basketball and Hockey use standardized playing surfaces. Even though football fields are the same length, they vary from FieldTurf to Grass, and the quality of the grass often varies, not to mention the Dome vs Open Stadium ordeal.

I think it's just Baseball trying to maintain it's history by having the little quirk of all stadiums being different.

I'm referring to dimensions, not the actual playing field material.

Day-V
11-12-2010, 11:30 PM
I'm referring to dimensions, not the actual playing field material.

Right and that's what I'm saying. I think it's baseball just being different by having different stadiums represent their own challenges. Just like a golf course, in a way. Each one is different and each one suits some players more than others.

duke dynamite
11-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Right and that's what I'm saying. I think it's baseball just being different by having different stadiums represent their own challenges. Just like a golf course, in a way. Each one is different and each one suits some players more than others.
That's why.

Here are the rules that MLB puts into place. The first few sections are about field specifications.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/official_rules/objectives_1.jsp

Stryder
11-17-2010, 08:31 PM
I still think it's stupid.

jeffg-body
11-17-2010, 11:16 PM
I have wondered this as well, even through my short stint in baseball in Europe. Personally I liked the idea of playing on fields that had different dimensions. If there was a short porch down that right field line you bet I was looking to pull one that way. The frustrating part can be where the out of bounds dimensions are different and can lead to injury if you are not paying attention. The only thing that has stuck out to me as where I would hate to play would be in Houston where they have that hill out in center field running up to the wall. I really would have liked to play in Giants stadium because the right field has the cove behind it and have always wanted to put a ball in the cove.