PDA

View Full Version : Pacers True or False

Sollozzo
08-24-2004, 01:29 PM
As the offseason reaches its most boring peak, it gets harder and harder to bring things up. I've noticed in the past that "True or False" has been played on these boards. I'll ask 10 true or false questions, give my answers, then you all can respond. Feel free to add any other questions.

1) J.O. will take his game even higher next year.

2) Artest will be a Pacer next year.

3) Reggie will be a starter next year.

4) Reggie should be the starter.

5) Fred Jones will be a very effective player next year.

6) We will finally "see it all" from Bender this year.

7) The Pacers are done making moves.

8) The Pacers should stand pat with Jeff Foster as the starting center.

9) The Pacers will have the best record in the east next year.

10) The Pacers will beat the Pistons in a series.

My Answers:

1) True. I think that with a full summer of rest, J.O. will take his game a step further.

2) True. However, I think that if the Kings would have given in to Peja's demands, Artest would have been gone in a heartbeat.

3) True. I don't like Reggie being the starter, with Jackson being clearly better at this point, but Jackson seems content with it, and the coaches will give Reggie the starting spot if it's what he wants.

4) False. Jackson is clearly the better player at this point, Reggie would be getting the starting job as a "thank you" gesture, much like his absurd contract.

5) False. I see Jones having major trouble finding minutes on this team next year. I expect Jackson and Reggie to get all of the minutes at 2 guard.

6) True. Harrington being gone will be the best thing that ever happened for Bender. Minutes for him will only open up, and I expect him to be a major contributor.

7) False. I think we are still trying to upgrade.

8) False. I still think Foster is a backup center, and we should try to improve that spot. We should made a serious run at Dampier.

9) False. I think the Pistons with a full year of Sheed will bring home the best record.

10) False. I think the Pistons are a better team than us, I hope I am proven wrong. I think they are more solid, overall. Getting Jackson can only help the Pacers, being Reggie was so weak in the ECF's at the 2 spot.

Suaveness
08-24-2004, 01:40 PM

Without a doubt. Rest and continuous improvement boost him into the top 3.

Yes he will, and he will be very valuable like last year.

Unfortunetly so.

No, Jackson should start.

I know most people think Fred is out of the rotation, but that WILL NOT happen. After the improvement from last year, it would be a mistake to not let him play more.

Ha. Ha ha. Ha ha ha. No.

No, but only minor, like getting rid of Pollard.

Yes.

Tough to say. Top 2 at least. Detroit will be tough.

Yes.

Sollozzo
08-24-2004, 01:52 PM
I'd love to see Jones get minutes too, but we know how Reggie walks on water in the eyes of some. They will give Reggie a good number of minutes with this probably(hopefully) being his final year. I just think it will be hard for Fred to get minuets.

Jose Slaughter
08-24-2004, 02:10 PM
Could Bender play most of his time at 4 giving Jacskon more time at 3 & Jones at 2?

Shade
08-24-2004, 02:13 PM
As the offseason reaches its most boring peak, it gets harder and harder to bring things up. I've noticed in the past that "True or False" has been played on these boards. I'll ask 10 true or false questions, give my answers, then you all can respond. Feel free to add any other questions.

My Answers:

1) True. I think that with a full summer of rest, J.O. will take his game a step further.

2) True. However, I think that if the Kings would have given in to Peja's demands, Artest would have been gone in a heartbeat.

3) True. I don't like Reggie being the starter, with Jackson being clearly better at this point, but Jackson seems content with it, and the coaches will give Reggie the starting spot if it's what he wants.

4) False. Jackson is clearly the better player at this point, Reggie would be getting the starting job as a "thank you" gesture, much like his absurd contract.

5) False. I see Jones having major trouble finding minutes on this team next year. I expect Jackson and Reggie to get all of the minutes at 2 guard.

6) True. Harrington being gone will be the best thing that ever happened for Bender. Minutes for him will only open up, and I expect him to be a major contributor.

8) False. I still think Foster is a backup center, and we should try to improve that spot. We should made a serious run at Dampier.

9) False. I think the Pistons with a full year of Sheed will bring home the best record.

10) False. I think the Pistons are a better team than us, I hope I am proven wrong. I think they are more solid, overall. Getting Jackson can only help the Pacers, being Reggie was so weak in the ECF's at the 2 spot.

1) Yep.
2) Yep.
3) Yep.
4) Nope. SJax should be the starter, but he won't be during Reggie's last hurrah.
5) Nope. He won't get off the bench much this year behind Reg and SJax.
6) Yep. But there will be at least 1 or 2 "injuries" over the course of the season.
7) Yep.
8) Nope. I like Jeff, but he's not good enough at the 5.
9) Nope. Second, behind the Pistons.
10) Yep. We'll have to beat Detroit to get the chance to go through the Heat and Spurs/Wolves. :D

PacerStud
08-24-2004, 02:32 PM

True. I'm hoping it includes being the undisputed leader of the team. Ron can be a close #2, but JO's gotta be the man.

True. He seems committed but doesn't need to be committed. Maturity - hopefully.

Yeah - but REALLY reduced minutes. 15-20 a game ??

True ............in that role. If he's on - let him sling 'em. If he's off, sit him and wait until next game.

True. I think we'll see some changes to Carlisle Ball.

True. One way or the other.

False. Tweak a thing or 2 maybe. If releasing SIGG is a move, then count on it. I want to keep Pollard - at least let him start the season here and see if we can get something out of him. If not, eh - we did OK last year without him.

True. Cro needs to crank it up this year and I'd really like to see a wide-body PF type guy to work with and for JO.

True. As reliant as the Pistons are on their starting 5 and as well as they performed last year, I'm not thinking they'll be able to carry that intensity/chemistry for an entire season OR Brown will start wearing on them (He might be a little testy after these games) OR someone will get dinged up. We've got reserves that can carry us in the regular season, but they need to do it in the POs.
False. Until the Pacers reserves do their thing in the POs, they're just tougher than we are in a series.

Arcadian
08-24-2004, 03:44 PM

False. He was pretty good last year. I don't see his stock jumping that much more. He'll still be behind Garnett and Duncan.

True. My proctologist says he is staying.

True.

False.

False, unless Bender gets hurt again and frees up playing time for him.

True, unless he gets hurt again and frees up playing time for Fred.

False.

True.

True.

True.

Bball
08-24-2004, 03:48 PM

True. It might be slow at the start due to the injury rehab.

Not unless the whole league is too scared of him to make the Pacers a reasonable offer.

True

False

False. With Reggie starting and how that affects the rest of the rotation Freddie's minutes will be limited at his best position.

False. We've already seen all that Bender has to offer. We might as well get used to more of the same.

For filling holes? Yes. For trading Artest? Maybe not.

False.

False.

My head is telling me we didn't do enough to get past the Pistons. So.... False.

My Answers:

-Bball

beast23
08-24-2004, 05:34 PM
Could Bender play most of his time at 4 giving Jacskon more time at 3 & Jones at 2?
That's a question that will need answering very quickly.

If Bender is not able to contribute at PF, then based on last season's performances, Croshere is our only backup at PF and C.

We absolutely must have something from Bender this season at PF. If not, then we must at least get something out of either Pollard or Harrison.

If Bender can play at PF, then Jackson gets more minutes at SF and Freddie gets more minutes at SG.

If Bender can't play PF, then the Pacers will definitely make a move BEFORE February. And unless Bender proves to walk on water at SF (doubtable with Artest getting most of the minutes), then he is gone.

Roy Munson
08-24-2004, 05:36 PM

1) False -- I expect about the same.

2) True -- My guess is that he has a 60-40 chance. Unless he flips out again.

3) True -- Token minutes at the beginning of each game.

4) False -- He will be the Pacers' third best 2-guard.

5) True -- He's versatile. He can fill in at either guard position. There will be injuries. Minutes will open up.

6) False -- He'll be OK until he gets a little injury that puts him on the IR for about 3 months.

7) False -- Eventually they will make another trade.

8) False -- Obviously, if they can upgrade they ought to do it. If they don't, it's not the end of the world.

9) True -- Carlisle knows how to win games.

10) True -- Rasheed Wallace was on his best behavior last season. It's not likely to happen again.

Arcadian
08-24-2004, 05:38 PM
Bender at the 4 is the biggest question going into the season. If he can't play there we will have taken a step back by trading Al. Unless you consider JO, Foster and Cro a reasonable 3 man rotation.

Hicks
08-24-2004, 06:08 PM

True.

I'm really changing my mind on this since last month, so for right now I'll say True.

False.

False.

False; he won't have a chance to play unless there are injuries.

If see it all means an all-star, False. If see it all means he finally becomes a consistent contributor and begins to use his gifts to fill Al's void, then True.

False. I still expect something to happen, but in all likelihood watch it be small.

True; nothing better to get. Unfortunately. And I like Jeff a lot.

False.

True.

MSA2CF
08-24-2004, 07:43 PM
True answers are bolded:

SycamoreKen
08-24-2004, 07:55 PM

1) J.O. will take his game even higher next year. True

2) Artest will be a Pacer next year. True

3) Reggie will be a starter next year. True

4) Reggie should be the starter. True, but not the finisher.

5) Fred Jones will be a very effective player next year. True, in the minutes he gets.

6) We will finally "see it all" from Bender this year. False, unless he finds a way to stay healthy.

7) The Pacers are done making moves. True

8) The Pacers should stand pat with Jeff Foster as the starting center. True, they don't have much choice.

9) The Pacers will have the best record in the east next year. True

10) The Pacers will beat the Pistons in a series. True.

Unclebuck
08-24-2004, 07:58 PM

I miss you guys and I miss the Pacers. I started a new job Monday, and I don't dare (yet) log on while I am at work. Have not posted since last thursday.

1) True

2) True. I don't plan to bet big money on that though

3) No he will not. He will offer to come off the bench

4) No. Jax should be a starter

5) Yes

6) We may not see it all, but we will see most of it

7) False, Pacers will make one more "Move"

8) Yes, True. I am more than satisfied with Jeff being the starter. If you want to bring in someone as his backup who is better than Pollard. OK

9) Fale

10) yes they might beat the Pisotns in the regular season series

Ultimate Frisbee
08-24-2004, 08:00 PM

nah... Unless we get a center with a decent offensive game... He is plenty good as it is.

yep... I don't see us trading him now. He will be a Pacer until at least midseason.

Yes, and No... He will start some games and Jackson will start some.

Yeah sure... he might not deserve to be the finisher though..

i have no doubt he'll be effective when he gets the minutes!

We'll see what he's got, thats for sure... If he doesnt have anything.. thats what we'll see..

Probably, but there's always a chance we'll swap centers with another disgruntled team, or throw in

No... As much as I like Jeff, J.O. needs another threat to help him

True

True.

Added questions:

11.) The Pacers will again have the best winning percentage against the west.

False.. I think someone out west will probably get that honor this year

12.) The Pacers will make a midseason move.

I'd think this is pretty likely if we get off to a slower than expected start, or if we need additional help in the middle against Detroit and Miami.

SoupIsGood
08-24-2004, 08:11 PM

True, but not by that much.

True.

True

True, Reggie deserves it

True, he will get his minutes if he plays well.

Yes, but that might not be good.

False

True

True, we are deep enough to withstand injuries.

true

indytoad
08-24-2004, 09:30 PM

True. He may not improve as much has he has in part years, but he'll keep getting better.

True. I don't think the Pacers would be able to get equal value for him, if they're even trying to trade him.

True.

He can be the starter if that's what he and the organization want, but he shouldn't get starting minutes.

True. Once Bender goes down, Jax will move up to the 3 and Freddy will be the primary backup 2.

False. We've already seen it all from Bender.

False. We'll probably make one more minor trade or signing.

False. But they don't really have a choice.

False.

False.

IndyToad
Restore this queen to her throne

ImReppinBtown
08-26-2004, 12:53 AM
-J.O. will take his game even higher next year.-

1. T - JO will do better all around in his game, and he will become more of a leader on the court.

-Artest will be a Pacer next year.-

2. T - I dont see the Pacers making any kind of trade that will bring a a better/as good player as Artest to Indy

-Reggie will be a starter next year.-

3. F - I dont see Reggie starting over Jackson

-Reggie should be the starter.-

4. F - Even though I hate to say this I think if I were in the position I would have to have Reggie comin off the bench, playing him as many minutes as needed

-Fred Jones will be a very effective player next year.-

5. T - I see Fred's minutes going up alot, he will be more mature of a player and his jump shot was looking damn good towards the end of the season.

-We will finally "see it all" from Bender this year.-

6. F - I dont think we will see it all this year, I still think it will take another year or 2 to see what Bender can really do. I do see him improving alot on last year though.

-The Pacers are done making moves.-

7. F - I think we will make a few more moves to try and get another big man.

-The Pacers should stand pat with Jeff Foster as the starting center.-

8. F - I love Foster, hes the man, but with Shaq and other big guys in the East now the Pacers need some more mass in the paint.

-The Pacers will have the best record in the east next year.-

9. T - I see us doing better than Detroit and Miami. Detroits lost some names this year and the players they acquired have been plagued by
injurys.

-The Pacers will beat the Pistons in a series.-

10. T/F:confused: - Depends on if we play them in the playoffs or not. I think we will win the seson series though.

:hoosiers::pacers::colts:

PS - I will win the PD FF league

-PD's Finest-

able
08-26-2004, 05:32 AM
True, by more then most expect.

True (i hope)

True, I see him playing the first 4-6 minutes, and a total of 10-15 minutes a game

True, for a plentitude of reasons

True, though his minutes wont be up that much

True, still on that bandwagon, he will surprise most of you :D

True

True, make Polly fit and some scrap minutes for the rookie, he might surprise us

True, why else bother playing

True, see 9

ROCislandWarrior
08-26-2004, 01:09 PM

If by "higher" you mean the "High Post" then yes, more jumpers for JO. I don't know...a full offseason of rest? I think he will improve, but he will not play like KG.

Yes. He wants to be one too.

Yes, atleast to start the season.

No, Sjax is the better player now on both ends.

I hope so, I really do. I just can't see it though.

With a defined role we will "see it all" and it will either be some decent stats or the letters "IR"

Yes...I just can't see how us moving anyone right now would help this team.

Yes, because if we want to get someone better then him we are going to have to part with a good player. Jeff just needs to learn how to shoot and he will be set.

It is going to be close between the Pacers and Pistons. I'd say unless an injury happens, the Pistons will have the better record.

Yes and that is 100% unbiased;)

ChicagoJ
08-26-2004, 02:33 PM
An excellent set of questions. Thanks for helping get us through the dog days of August.

Yes, a summer of rest will help him stay stronger and maintain his high level of play through a deep playoff run.

I'd be surprised if he's still around after the trading deadline.

I think he'll start the season as a starter, get hurt, return at less than 100% and play sixth man.

Only in MSA2CF's mind. :crazy:

In practice maybe. And if he's still around when Reggie gets hurt, yes. Otherwise, he'll be traded somewhere else where he will still be the "fourth" guard.

Yep, he still hasn't lived up to George McCloud's famous ankle sprain in the 1991 playoffs. For all you young'uns, George sprained his ankle while talking to his girlfriend on the telephone. Once Bender accomplishes that, he'll reach the legendary status we've always expected from him.

Maybe for the summer (and maybe not), but I don't think Bird and DW are really happy with the roster yet.

Jermaine O'Neal *is* the starting center. Don't let Reb Porter's introduction of Foster as a "center" confuse you.

With the roster as-is, no. Depending on future moves, maybe.

With the roster as-is, no. Depending on future moves, maybe.
Typos

Sollozzo
08-26-2004, 03:13 PM
What I mean by "Higher" is, do you all think that J.O. will take his game up another level with all of this rest, or do you think he is maxed out?

Bball
08-26-2004, 04:26 PM
What I mean by "Higher" is, do you all think that J.O. will take his game up another level with all of this rest, or do you think he is maxed out?

I think the rest will help him maintain his game throughout the season and I look for him to play a smarter game just due to experience. As such, I see 'more' from him this year altho I don't expect him to suddenly be the unstoppable monster of the NBA or anything.

-Bball