PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Rush - Difference maker

MLB007
11-11-2010, 09:50 PM
16pts and 7boards 2 assists.
Not anything special but my goodness SOME of those points and boards were exceptional.
I just watched the first half again and he was unguardable with the ball in his hands for a few minutes in the 2nd quarter.
Showed MEGA improvement and skill in attacking the rim and that follow up slam was otherworldly.
When he first came in Quinn confirmed what I said here that I saw in Brandon in preseason, a much more confident player attacking the rim.

He looks like he's determined and on a mission.
I think we just got another good young player.
Atta' Boy Brandon!! :happydanc :dance: :buddies:

PS - Was interesting, in the first 5 minutes of the game when Mike missed his first shot one of the guys (announcers) said "oh and he was shooting SO well in warmup" and the other "yeh, I noticed that too".

Doddage
11-11-2010, 09:55 PM
He was great and he doesn't look as apathetic as before, but I'm going to need more games until I label him a difference maker.

MLB007
11-11-2010, 10:05 PM
I'm "Rushing" it for sure (oh thats badddd)
but that's the fun.
Go out on the limb and see it EARLY.
I see a man where I saw a boy (young man) before.

His game is different.
His face is different.

BobbyMac
11-11-2010, 10:09 PM
I hope Brandon continues to play well,...........consistently.

BringJackBack
11-11-2010, 10:13 PM
I've given Rush a lot of crap.. and quite frankly I feel bad because I'm sure he goes on here and reads about all of us making fun of him for smoking pot and all that.. if he keeps this up, this could be a start of something new. It's just one game but the improvement by simply involving himself is enormous.

Rush may finally be getting it.

PacerPenguins
11-11-2010, 10:26 PM
he looks 100 times better than he did all of last year, he doesnt settle for the jumpers and is driving the ball. Good job Brandon, keep it up :)

Naptown_Seth
11-11-2010, 10:28 PM
I hope Brandon continues to play well,...........consistently.
Since he's played hard defense and been pretty focused on rebounding well for his position I'd say he's played consistently well for his entire time here. Drawing fouls well, no. Scoring off drives to the rim, no. But dropping 40% from 3 or strong defense, yes, and I consider both of those pretty freaking helpful.

The other night he was not playing "well", he and Collison were dominating the court with their intensity and focus, and when you're on the court with guys like Roy and Tyler that's saying something.

And for me I find it easier to think that Rush will be able to repeat his effort driving to the rim or getting the first step on someone while playing defense than to think Dun will repeat a 7-7 quarter. This means that I do think Rush is more likely to be a main contributor to the team's success going forward.

It was just a weird coincidence that the team hit so many tough shots in the 3rd on the same night he returned. But they were already headed toward winning the game before the 3rd started, winning in a "normal" way that didn't involve a stat-defying run of shooting, and Rush was central to that.

Day-V
11-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Brandon Rush is the greatest player to ever live.

gummy
11-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Yep, it's just one game but he looked better than he ever has, even during his good stretches last season. I thought it was clear in pre-season action that he'd worked on his handles and moves to the basket but you can never be sure with the level of competition. Now that I've seen the same thing in a real game I'd say the improvement in that area is the real deal.

He's definitely put on some muscle and that should help him around the basket. Even his body language looks totally different during and between plays - he's got his head up and he stayed engaged even though he missed a couple of shots early. He seems more confident and interviews and even JOB is talking about him differently. Best of all (for me) his defense is still very good - when he was on Melo he stayed in front of him, bodied him up and moved him toward the baseline or into the double-team when it came.

It's too early to know for sure what will happen on the offensive end for Brandon, but I'm encouraged. I think a lot of us expected too much from him in his first year in particular in terms of him coming in and taking a lot of the scoring load off of Danny, so much so that it took awhile for him to get any respect for his defense and rebounding. I'm looking forward to seeing what develops!

Dr. Awesome
11-11-2010, 10:57 PM
I'm "Rushing" it for sure (oh thats badddd)
but that's the fun.
Go out on the limb and see it EARLY.
I see a man where I saw a boy (young man) before.

His game is different.
His face is different.

See it early? Your about two years late to the party.

BringJackBack
11-11-2010, 11:03 PM
I think the most important thing is that he was cutting and actually filling the lanes on breaks rather than stopping at the three. That is a small but tremendous improvement.

vnzla81
11-11-2010, 11:06 PM
He is been a difference maker since he got here, that some people just realize what he brings to the team that is another issue.

pacer4ever
11-11-2010, 11:06 PM
He is been a difference maker since he got here, that some people just realize what he brings to the team that is another issue.

ya brandon is a special player

beast23
11-11-2010, 11:32 PM
What I enjoyed about Rush his first game out was his physical play, his offensive aggressiveness and his willingness to go into the paint.

One play that I noticed was his read of the court as the ball was passed to Dunleavy, who drove the seam. Rush slid to the corner as Dunleavy received the ball, then was able to receive the ball from Dunleavy to hit the 3. There was no hesitation, he just went up and nailed it.

Rush's defense will always be there, regardless of what type of offensive game he is having. But, it's the offensive end of the court where he can most improve and help the team. As long as he is consistently aggressive offensively, good things are likely to happen. With aggression, he will make his defender work harder and will also eventually get to the line much more than he has in the past.

Mackey_Rose
11-12-2010, 12:08 AM
Since he's played hard defense and been pretty focused on rebounding well for his position I'd say he's played consistently well for his entire time here. Drawing fouls well, no. Scoring off drives to the rim, no. But dropping 40% from 3 or strong defense, yes, and I consider both of those pretty freaking helpful.

The other night he was not playing "well", he and Collison were dominating the court with their intensity and focus, and when you're on the court with guys like Roy and Tyler that's saying something.

And for me I find it easier to think that Rush will be able to repeat his effort driving to the rim or getting the first step on someone while playing defense than to think Dun will repeat a 7-7 quarter. This means that I do think Rush is more likely to be a main contributor to the team's success going forward.

It was just a weird coincidence that the team hit so many tough shots in the 3rd on the same night he returned. But they were already headed toward winning the game before the 3rd started, winning in a "normal" way that didn't involve a stat-defying run of shooting, and Rush was central to that.

Great post. You nailed it. Too many people have gotten far too caught up in the JOB-mindset of offense first, offense second, offense third, special teams fourth, defense fifth.

It wouldn't be true to say that "as Rush goes, the Pacers will go," but the way he plays is going to be extremely important to how successful this team is. I think he has been vastly under-appreciated. I was as disappointed in his failed drug tests as anybody, but that has nothing to do with his play on the court. I think he is going to have a good season.

Hicks
11-12-2010, 12:25 AM
I'm well aware of what Brandon Rush does right and consistently, but until he learns to consistently play aggressive offensively, he will be an underachiever because of how talented he really is.

Nights like this Tuesday give me hope that we still struck gold with that pick.

Dr. Awesome
11-12-2010, 12:27 AM
I'm well aware of what Brandon Rush does right and consistently, but until he learns to consistently play aggressive offensively, he will be an underachiever because of how talented he really is.

Nights like this Tuesday give me hope that we still struck gold with that pick.

I will agree with this. I think he has the most talent on the team, even over Granger/Hibbert, he just hasn't had the attitude of someone who wants it, hopefully that's changed.

jeffg-body
11-12-2010, 12:55 AM
I was really surprised how well Brandon came out and played right away. He looks like he's added some more muscle to his frame and it was nice to see that aggressiveness that we all hoped he could provide. I was one of the guys thinking trade with Brandon, but now I see him as a part of the future core. Our wings are gonna be a tough match up for a lot of teams by the end of the year, let alone two or three years away.

daschysta
11-12-2010, 01:03 AM
He's at a crossroads, where he could either become his brother or be much much better. Maybe he is making the right choice.

MLB007
11-12-2010, 01:11 AM
See it early? Your about two years late to the party.

No no, the NEW Brandon. :p

Foul on Smits
11-12-2010, 01:16 AM
Up with hope. Down with dope!

IndyPacer
11-12-2010, 06:21 AM
I was really surprised how well Brandon came out and played right away. He looks like he's added some more muscle to his frame and it was nice to see that aggressiveness that we all hoped he could provide. I was one of the guys thinking trade with Brandon, but now I see him as a part of the future core. Our wings are gonna be a tough match up for a lot of teams by the end of the year, let alone two or three years away.

I'm really not surprised to see him do what he did, although of course I'm quite pleased to see plays like stripping Anthony and his thunderous "Oh my goodness!" :laugh: follow-up dunk.

Rush should have a much easier time as a complimentary option to Granger, Hibbert, and Collison on offense rather than the second option many seemed to think he should be from the moment he was drafted. That's never been his game, but he can definitely score off of openings created by the three guys I listed. Troy's absence also adds outside shots for Rush. Meanwhile, his defense looks great, which makes him my favorite Pacer to watch. It's been tough for me to watch this team's defense over the past few years under O'Brien, but Rush has helped considerably. I realize that most don't enjoy watching smothering defense nearly as much flashy offensive moves, but defensive plays ARE the highlights for me, and they were very scarce around here before Rush arrived.

docpaul
11-12-2010, 07:48 AM
I was as disappointed in his failed drug tests as anybody, but that has nothing to do with his play on the court. I think he is going to have a good season.

You see, I don't quite look at it that way. Have you watched interviews with Brandon the past three years? Did you watch his interview from the Nuggets game the other night? There is an impressive difference in his affect this year, IMO. More engaged and "with it" recently.

While I'm not some kind of anti-drug purist, it's clear to me at least that his past choices had an impact on his motivation and ability to focus. You are fooling yourself if you think that using a neuromodulator doesn't cross over into practices and games. :) Hearing the unfortunate news in the offseason at least gave me clarity for the disconnect I was seeing with his potential vs. his performance over the past couple of years.

I am deeply excited about Rush's potential this year, as someone that's been rooting for him since he was drafted. I think now is the time for him to shine.

Future_NBA_Player
11-12-2010, 08:08 AM
Good post. I have always like Brandon from the start. It doesn't matter if you score 200 points a game, you aren't going to win unless you play defense. Brandon plays pretty darn good defense. Keep it up #25

Trophy
11-12-2010, 09:18 AM
I think he was really a difference maker and the Denver game proved it, but he needs to do this consistently and then he can label himself a difference maker.

EDIT: Brandon wasn't really looked at as part of our future core last season and especially now that we have Paul, but again if he plays consistently and just like he did against Denver then there's no doubt that he'll be with this team moving forward.

PacerGuy
11-12-2010, 11:09 AM
I loved Brandon's aggressiveness, and the fact that it started with his first possession on the floor, & ended with his last was very encouraging. What I hold on as hope is what Brandon did on Tuesday did not look forced, it looked instinctual. He looked comfortable in the roll, & looked like he was using all his god-given gifts, along with his new body to play in a manner that could make him a beast to deal with for the rest of the league.
We heard all summer how everyone was saying Brandon was working on his game & had seemingly turned a corner with his aggressiveness, ball-handeling, & finishing. In Pacerland, hearing about great summers & great practices is like hearing a winter blizzard report on the evening news - you hear about it, there are people who say they see it & it's coming for sure, but in the end your a$$ is still getting up way too early to go to school, because nothing happened. Well, on Tuesday night I saw huge flakes starting to fall at Conseco Fieldhouse, and watching Brandon was as enjoyable as watching an Angela Buckman marathon (for completely different reasons of course!).

PacersAllDay
11-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Good post. I have always like Brandon from the start. It doesn't matter if you score 200 points a game, you aren't going to win unless you play defense. Brandon plays pretty darn good defense. Keep it up #25

I'd take my chances with 200 pts a game.

MyFavMartin
11-12-2010, 11:26 AM
He was aggressive and assertive and very confident. Great game from him.

15th parallel
11-12-2010, 01:53 PM
It's just one game still...but I like the fact that he started his first game this season on a positive note after being suspended. If he can keep this up, it just makes the current Wing rotation stronger.

pacers74
11-12-2010, 02:23 PM
I will be ready to eat crow on B.Rush when he has put together a few games like this. I know I was screaming and very excited when he was in. He looked great. Let's just hope he keeps it up. He could be starting in a couple of weeks.

Scot Pollard
11-12-2010, 04:03 PM
it ticks me off when he cant carry through his good place into the next game

i mean how can that happen

brush is a really good player but for whatever reason cant do it all the time and maybe he snapped out it and he will be good the whole season

pacer4ever
11-12-2010, 04:51 PM
it ticks me off when he cant carry through his good place into the next game

i mean how can that happen

brush is a really good player but for whatever reason cant do it all the time and maybe he snapped out it and he will be good the whole season

every player goes thur slumps it is just gonna happen. It is a long season not even Kobe or LeBron plays constantly for all 82 gms.