PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wells Tweet about PG24 (2010 thread)

pacer4ever
11-11-2010, 02:34 PM
MikeWellsNBA Rookie P. George no longer a lock to be in 4-man rotation on the wing. O'Brien said he's digressed and loss some of his concentration

ANOTHER MIKE WELLS TWEET UGGG JOB on George, "He’s not playing good offense. He’s not taking good shots. He’s not having good practices.” In other words, a typical rookie

Since86
11-11-2010, 02:35 PM
Shocker, I tell you. Shocker.

pacer4ever
11-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Shocker, I tell you. Shocker.

ya this is :bs: :censored: JOB

Trader Joe
11-11-2010, 02:37 PM
I mean it's not like he gets lost on defense and gets caught ball gawking every time or anything, oh wait...

At least Brandon Rush didn't out play him in every facet of the game against Denver...oh wait.

bellisimo
11-11-2010, 02:38 PM
i am not even gonna try to decode this coachtwittermediabsspeak anymore...*sigh*

Unclebuck
11-11-2010, 02:38 PM
I wish Wells would just stop with the Tweets.

I am more than fine with waiting to actually watch the games before I panic.

(yes I expected George to be in and out of the regular rotation from time to time, perfectly normal for a rookie that isn't a John Wall or Lebron type player)

if I were the coach and knowing what I know (which is very limited) I would probably try and give George some time in each game - but he needs to learn how to play the NBA game so there would be some games when he doesn't play. Right now Rush (who looked very good ) and Dunleavy are better

BringJackBack
11-11-2010, 02:39 PM
These tweets and quotes have about as much credibility as a bleacherreport article anymore. Dang shame.

90'sNBARocked
11-11-2010, 02:40 PM
I dont think Jim really wanted to even play George, but did out of neccessity while Brandon was out.

I think Jim just prefers to play veterans, or those that no his system well

Day-V
11-11-2010, 02:46 PM
So, in other words, Paul is going to start?

Got it.

pacer4ever
11-11-2010, 02:47 PM
ANOTHER MIKE WELLS TWEET UGGG JOB on George, "Hes not playing good offense. Hes not taking good shots. Hes not having good practices. In other words, a typical rookie

pacer4ever
11-11-2010, 02:49 PM
https://twitter.com/MikeWellsNBA

pacer4ever
11-11-2010, 02:49 PM
THIS **** IS MAKING ME MAD I HATE JOB

cdash
11-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Chill out. It's Cody Zeller day. Besides, it's not like George has been setting the world on fire, and it's not like we didn't expect him to go in and out of the rotation. This is hardly a shock to me.

Since86
11-11-2010, 02:54 PM

Got it.

And for the record, I'm not as high on AJ as Sookie obviously is, I think he's a good player but he's still a backup not a starter for this team even. This issue isn't about AJ, it's about a coach that tells us one thing, and then does the EXACT opposite. Which is why if Wells comes out with a tweet saying George will be the first wing off the bench still, there would be jokes made that he won't get a second of burn.

I'm really starting to think that Jim reads the forum and does thing just to **** people off. Sadly, I'm only half joking.

That quoted post by me was made less than 15mins ago, btw.

PaceBalls
11-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Do you guys think Paul is deviating from the offense and calling his own number a bit.. ?

This tweet, that tweet from the other day and that flurry of shots he had vs the Bucks makes me think so. But it's just speculation on my part. The real story is told in the practices, and unfortunately we can't watch them. (I wish we could, I'd sign up for that in a second)

It will be interesting to see how mature he is in handling a few DNP-CDs.

Trader Joe
11-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Paul had one moment in the Bucks game where he definitely ignored the play and took his own shot with about 17 or 18 seconds left on the shot clock.

The problem though, is his defense. He's been the worst perimeter defender on the team, yes even worse than Dun. His steals and deflections occasionally mask this, but no one has gotten lost more consistently on defense than Paul.

MLB007
11-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Do you guys think Paul is deviating from the offense and calling his own number a bit.. ?

This tweet, that tweet from the other day and that flurry of shots he had vs the Bucks makes me think so. But it's just speculation on my part. The real story is told in the practices, and unfortunately we can't watch them. (I wish we could, I'd sign up for that in a second)

It will be interesting to see how mature he is in handling a few DNP-CDs.

Yep.
LIke you I noticed that the game after PG's tweet about "Doing what he knows" or similar he jacked up several questionable shots. He made a couple of nice plays that kept him in the game or I think he'd have been benched then.
He's going to be good, but he's got a lot to learn.
Starting with listening to his coach and doing what his coach wants.
THEN, and only then does he get the minutes and become the star we all want to see.

d_c
11-11-2010, 03:15 PM
I think Jim just prefers to play veterans, or those that no his system well

You just described 29 other NBA coaches as well.

Unclebuck
11-11-2010, 03:33 PM
I like George, i think he's going to be an outstanding player, one of our building blocks.

But he's not there yet and some of his shot selection has been horrible

Hicks
11-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Why can't we just play all four of them? Surely there's 10 minutes a game for Paul?

CableKC
11-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Okay.....we know who will be the 3 Wing Players.....Granger/BRush/Dunleavy....if Lance is out of the rotation.....and PG isn't going to be the 4th Wing Player....then who will it be?

Are we going to be seeing more of DC and TJ on the floor at the same time?

or

Is Posey or Inferno going to be that 4th Wing Player?

IF ( and that is a HUGE IF ) Dunleavy continues to 1/2 way decent ( as in hitting most of his shots...as opposed to the way that he played before the Nuggets game ), then I have no problem with giving the Majority of the SG/SF minutes to Granger/Dunleavy/BRush with the left overs to Posey/PG/Inferno. I just hope that with the 4th Wing Player....that JO'B does not automatically rule out PG and put in Posey.

What I want is for JO'B to choose the 4th Wing Player based off of matchups/needs as opposed to automatically going with Posey or worse....going with some DC + TJ Guard rotation.

pacer4ever
11-11-2010, 03:37 PM
I like George, i think he's going to be an outstanding player, one of our building blocks.

He told me after the autograph session the other night. that he wants to get to the rim. But the offense has him taking more 3s.

Unclebuck
11-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Why can't we just play all four of them? Surely there's 10 minutes a game for Paul?

Sure we can and I think 75% of the games George will play 10 - 12 minutes. I don't think there is anything in the tweet that would asuggest otherwise. But I do think it is fair to assume George is now the 2nd wing of the bench (Rush is the first wing off the bench)

Trader Joe
11-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Well that's unfortunate that Paul thinks that because right now, the most consistent part of his game is his jump shot.

CableKC
11-11-2010, 03:42 PM
That's why I would hope that we do. I understand that Granger/BRush/Dunleavy are at the top of the SG/SF rotation...but after that.....I can see that there is no clear-cut SG/SF that should be the 4th Wing Player. IMHO...there is no compelling nor strong argument that says that Posey stands heads and shoulders over PG as that 4th Wing Player. I can see some situations where Posey maybe better then PG...but IMHO..it shouldn't be an automatic choice for all situations.

pacer4ever
11-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Sure we can and I think 75% of the games George will play 10 - 12 minutes. I don't think there is anything in the tweet that would asuggest otherwise. But I do think it is fair to assume George is now the 2nd wing of the bench (Rush is the first wing off the bench)

Rush should start Paul should play backup SG and Mike should be backup SF. If Danny really does play fewer mins. why cant this work?

naptownmenace
11-11-2010, 03:44 PM

Got it.

Perfect way to sum of Coach O'Brien's words. Where's the in-one-ear-and-out-the-other smilie?

nerveghost
11-11-2010, 03:47 PM
THIS **** IS MAKING ME MAD I HATE JOB

Why aren't you mad at George for not playing better?

vnzla81
11-11-2010, 03:51 PM

But Dunleavy is starting and his shot selection and defense is been also horrible too, lets not forget everything because he had a miracle game.

pacer4ever
11-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Why aren't you mad at George for not playing better?

he is playing hard and the coaching staff needs to fix a couple things that are easy to fix with paul. Paul is clearly better than posey and just as good if not better than dunleavy right now. He plays good defense he doesnt deserved to be benched. Dunleavy didnt get bench for the 5 bad games he had did he???

xBulletproof
11-11-2010, 03:57 PM
I expected Paul to play 500-750 minutes total this year. He's broke the 100 minute mark in the first 6 games. I think he will still come close to the minutes mark I predicted, and won't be bothered by it.

This is/was expected and I don't know why anyone would be shocked.

Hicks
11-11-2010, 03:59 PM
This is/was expected and I don't know why anyone would be shocked.

Has anyone said they're shocked?

Will Galen
11-11-2010, 04:02 PM

Not if he goes off and does his own thing.

xBulletproof
11-11-2010, 04:04 PM
Has anyone said they're shocked?

Said it, no. Acted in a manner as though they are, yes at least one person has.

You reading the same thread?

pacer4ever
11-11-2010, 04:08 PM
Not if he goes off and does his own thing.

do u blame him??? would u want to stand in the corner like JOB's offense has him do most of the time??

ChicagoJ
(yes I expected George to be in and out of the regular rotation from time to time, perfectly normal for a rookie that isn't a John Wall or Lebron type player)

That's the whole thing right there.

This is no longer a "coach isn't playing the young guys" because of the vets, but we all think the vets are stinking up the gym. He's not playing the rookie because he's playing other young guys that ARE playing well.

Paul will be fine.

pacer4ever

im not shocked im mad

Sookie
11-11-2010, 04:09 PM
So long as Dun, Rush, and Granger are playing well, I won't complain too much. But I don't see why we can't give George ten-15 minutes a game. I think that's necessary for his growth.

pacer4ever
11-11-2010, 04:15 PM
So long as Dun, Rush, and Granger are playing well, I won't complain too much. But I don't see why we can't give George ten-15 minutes a game. I think that's necessary for his growth.

i just dont get why DUN plays 38 mins a game when he wont be here next yr. why cant he play 26?? Next year paul is gonna have to be the guy. To play the SG with B rush but if he doesnt get some min how will he be ready for that role. Much like J mac this yr he has struggled with picking up two quick fouls. If he had gotten more playing time last yr he could be better at avoding quick fouls. With the gained experice that would have brought.

Will Galen
11-11-2010, 04:15 PM
do u blame him????

YES!!!!!!

xBulletproof
11-11-2010, 04:16 PM
im not shocked im mad

Well personally if I expect something (like this) then it keeps me from being mad about it. Even if I disagree with it (as I do this). :)

vnzla81
11-11-2010, 04:18 PM
I'm not actually mad at all, the one positive thing I see about this is that hopefully Jim doesn't get to damage PG and if he is not playing the damage is smaller.

I would also say that I would be mad if he is doing this to play Posey or DJ more minutes.

pacer4ever
YES!!!!!!

so if u were in the nba and you are really good off the dribble like Paul. U woulnt mind standing in the corner and the only shot you get is a 3??? He is so much better than that let him play his game sometimes. In Phily if they had this offense IGGY would look like PG24 if he ran the offense. But they run plays for Iggy that give him the best chance to play his game. and get shots that give him a good chance to make productive things happen for him and the team.

Hicks

I'm reading what I think is frustration coming from people tired of Jim O'Brien and/or high on Paul George who want to see him play early and often.

Will Galen
11-11-2010, 04:20 PM

Whats also necessary for his growth is some time on the bench, because his tweets show he doesn't get it yet. Not playing is the biggest motivator for a young player to get better.

He will.

Will Galen
11-11-2010, 04:24 PM
i just dont get why DUN plays 38 mins a game when he wont be here next yr. why cant he play 26?? Next year paul is gonna have to be the guy. To play the SG with B rush but if he doesnt get some min how will he be ready for that role. Much like J mac this yr he has struggled with picking up two quick fouls. If he had gotten more playing time last yr he could be better at avoding quick fouls. With the gained experice that would have brought.

You don't know that Dun won't be here next year. If he agrees to a reasonable contract it's likely he will be here. Especially if he's as bad as you think he is. :devil:

xBulletproof
11-11-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm reading what I think is frustration coming from people tired of Jim O'Brien and/or high on Paul George who want to see him play early and often.

Maybe you're right and shocked wasn't the best word to use, but at the same time I don't see why George has earned too much PT anyway at this point based on what I've seen on the court. I just don't see the reason for the uproar this time, and I was one of the people saying "please say Paul George" over and over as the commissioner took the stage for the Pacers pick.

vnzla81
11-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Let's face it, the least time PG is exposed to the Jim style the best is going to be for him and for us long term.

pacer4ever
11-11-2010, 04:27 PM
You don't know that Dun won't be here next year. If he agrees to a reasonable contract it's likely he will be here. Especially if he's as bad as you think he is. :devil:

I heard from people in the organzation he wont be back. i dont know if they are 100%. But one thing i know Dunleavy will chase the money. It makes no sense to bring mike back next yr. He isnt part of our future core.

Trophy
11-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Jim is very impatient.

pacer4ever
11-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Jim is very impatient.

except with Dunleavy

Will Galen
11-11-2010, 04:33 PM
I heard from people in the organzation he wont be back. i dont know if they are 100%. But one thing i know Dunleavy will chase the money. It makes no sense to bring mike back next yr. He isnt part of our future core.

Who told you Mike would chase the money? You don't know that either. It seems to me you base a lot of your reasoning on things that could go either way, but you assume they will go one way.

As for being a part of our future core, teams need vets especially young teams.

cdash
11-11-2010, 04:34 PM

I'd rather play to get in the playoffs this season. Simply put, the three man wing rotation of Granger/Rush/Dunleavy gives us a better chance to win. The East is open, there is a chance to make the playoffs. I want George to develop too, but temporarily sending him to the bench six games into his rookie season isn't going to impede his development. You have to make him earn his PT, and so far, he hasn't earned it over the veterans.

ChicagoJ
11-11-2010, 04:38 PM
It makes no sense to bring mike back next yr. He isnt part of our future core.

I disagree. I really hope they agree on a new contract that keeps him here in a sixth-man type of role.

I assume that next year's lineup/ rotation will be something like this

G: DC, Rush, TBD
F: George, Granger, Dunn, Tyler
C: Hibbert, TBD

I like the idea of a George - Granger - Dunleavy rotation at the forward spots.

pacer4ever
11-11-2010, 04:43 PM
I disagree. I really hope they agree on a new contract that keeps him here in a sixth-man type of role.

so george will be starting over danny ?? or danny will be playing the 4???

Rush and Paul and Danny will be the wing rotation next yr trust me

any how george needs experince to take that kind of role to bad

vnzla81
11-11-2010, 04:43 PM

I rather bring AK47 instead, we don't need Dunleavy he is just not that good.

pacer4ever
11-11-2010, 04:46 PM
I rather bring AK47 instead, we don't need Dunleavy he is just not that good.

why not trade dunleavy for AK??

AK will probly get more in FA then mike. Mike will be lucky to get 3mill a yr. JO only got 5mill has had injurys like mike and is a vetern like mike. Also he is a big which is more valuable.

CableKC
11-11-2010, 04:47 PM
do u blame him??? would u want to stand in the corner like JOB's offense has him do most of the time??
Actually, yes...that is what he is supposed to do....follow what the Coach tells him to do.

Before you ask why we aren't using him the right way....it's the role of the Players to do what the Coach does...not run off and do his own thing.

I don't want PG to be like Leroy Jenkins (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkCNJRfSZBU)....I want him to be a Team Player.

pacer4ever
11-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Actually, yes...that is what he is supposed to do....follow what the Coach tells him to do.

the coach needs to play to his players stregths thats all im saying not vice versa

daschysta
11-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Dunleavey's movement without the ball vastly improves our offensive sets, he is a constant option as a cutter. Now if he is stinking up the gym with his shooting, sure he is a problem, but if he is hitting his shots at a normal clip he is more valuable at them moment than PG (also increases trade value for those who care about that). Aggressive rush is also a much larger positive on the floor than PG right now. I'm sure george will still get some time (10 or so a game) but JOB is perfectly justified from a basketball perspective. Other than the posey mancrush most of his rotations lately have been justifiable from a basketball perspective. Since the goal of the org AND the fans is to make the playoffs this year, this is a logical descision by the coach.

Paul is 20, he isn't entitled to anything and is making alot of silly mistakes on the floor, he'll get there. Rembember that when we drafted him we expected a gigantic progress, we should be estatic that he is so far ahead of the curve that our expectations this season set for him.

daschysta
11-11-2010, 04:52 PM

AK will probly get more in FA then mike. Mike will be lucky to get 3mill a yr. JO only got 5mill has had injurys like mike and is a vetern like mike. Also he is a big which is more valuable.

JO also was coming off of one of the most historically bad postseasons of all time. It is also likely that he took slightly less money to play of a vet laden championship contender. He could have gotten more from some other team.

Plus dun has the potential to show that he isn't completely washed up, which JO without a doubt IS.

owl

As long as JOB wants him to do that then he should do that and become the best stand in the corner 3 point shooter he can. There will be times he will get to drive the basket.
He needs to learn that he is on a TEAM and sometimes you have to sacrifice parts of your game for the TEAM.

spazzxb
so if u were in the nba and you are really good off the dribble like Paul. U woulnt mind standing in the corner and the only shot you get is a 3??? He is so much better than that let him play his game sometimes. In Phily if they had this offense IGGY would look like PG24 if he ran the offense. But they run plays for Iggy that give him the best chance to play his game. and get shots that give him a good chance to make productive things happen for him and the team.

JOB started Iggy as a rookie and he isn't even a shooter.

cdash
11-11-2010, 04:53 PM
the coach needs to play to his players stregths thats all im saying not vice versa

Have you seen Paul George handle the ball? Every time I've seen him drive to the hoop, he loses control of the ball. His strength right now is shooting threes.

daschysta
11-11-2010, 04:54 PM
As long as JOB wants him to do that then he should do that and become the best stand in the corner 3 point shooter he can. There will be times he will get to drive the basket.
He needs to learn that he is on a TEAM and sometimes you have to sacrifice parts of your game for the TEAM.

Yeah, seriously he is a Rook... He shouldn't expect the coach to change anything about the offensive system to suit specifically him. The offensive system suits our best player (Danny) and has even allowed Roy to thrive since he became more mobile because it allows him to show off his passing skills, which may not be as showcased in a more traditional PG dominated pnr offense.

spazzxb
11-11-2010, 04:58 PM

Dunleavy had 1 major injury (surgery), Jo has a chronic knee issue that has kept him from being reliable for years. They aren't comparable in any way. Dunleavys value is very dependent on what he does this season and therefore hard to predict..

pacer4ever
11-11-2010, 04:58 PM
JOB started Iggy as a rookie and he isn't even a shooter.

ya and only scored 9 and 5 boards in 32 mins

pacer4ever
11-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Dunleavy had 1 major injury (surgery), Jo has a chronic knee issue that has kept him from being reliable for years. They aren't comparable in any way. Dunleavys value is very dependent on what he does this season and therefore hard to predict..

i major surgery that has been causing injures for 3+ yrs

pacer4ever
11-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Have you seen Paul George handle the ball? Every time I've seen him drive to the hoop, he loses control of the ball. His strength right now is shooting threes.

Dannies handles are far worse and he gets to the hoop fine in the NBA.

xBulletproof
11-11-2010, 05:03 PM

Published : Friday, 06 Mar 2009, 2:27 PM EST

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - Indiana Pacers forward Mike Dunleavy has had successful surgery to remove a bone spur and repair his right patellar tendon.

...... 3+ years?

So it's already 2012?

spazzxb
11-11-2010, 05:04 PM

?

http://www.indycornrows.com/2009/3/2/777323/mike-dunleavy-staring-at-k

Last year he was recovering, this is the first year he should be 100%

I do not believe he was ever really injured or at least missed many games before 2 seasons ago.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/dunlemi02.html

Season Age Tm Lg G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
2002-03 22 GSW NBA 82 3 1305 168 417 .403 52 150 .347 78 100 .780 66 148 214 106 53 19 86 120 466
2003-04 23 GSW NBA 75 69 2336 323 720 .449 94 254 .370 137 185 .741 87 355 442 220 68 13 143 169 877
2004-05 24 GSW NBA 79 79 2570 408 905 .451 107 276 .388 134 172 .779 97 338 435 203 79 26 132 198 1057
2005-06 25 GSW NBA 81 68 2578 331 816 .406 74 260 .285 196 252 .778 78 321 399 237 60 32 120 199 932
2006-07 26 TOT NBA 82 49 2580 384 850 .452 70 224 .313 211 269 .784 84 347 431 228 84 22 149 203 1049
2006-07 26 GSW NBA 39 6 1051 166 370 .449 36 104 .346 78 101 .772 40 147 187 117 38 12 71 83 446
2006-07 26 IND NBA 43 43 1529 218 480 .454 34 120 .283 133 168 .792 44 200 244 111 46 10 78 120 603
2007-08 27 IND NBA 82 82 2953 532 1117 .476 165 389 .424 336 403 .834 59 365 424 288 86 31 190 208 1565
2008-09 28 IND NBA 18 14 495 93 232 .401 32 90 .356 53 65 .815 14 54 68 44 12 9 38 36 271
2009-10 29 IND NBA 67 15 1486 229 558 .410 75 236 .318 133 158 .842 25 211 236 103 38 15 72 105 666
2010-11 30 IND NBA 6 6 199 27 65 .415 12 35 .343 16 21 .762 5 32 37 8 1 4 6 10 82
Career NBA 572 385 16502 2495 5680 .439 681 1914 .356 1294 1625 .796 515 2171 2686 1437 481 171 936 1248

pacer4ever
11-11-2010, 05:06 PM
?

http://www.indycornrows.com/2009/3/2/777323/mike-dunleavy-staring-at-k

:censored: 3 plus lol

10 yrs lol i knew it has been a promblem for awhile but 10 yrs wow.

Scot Pollard
11-11-2010, 05:06 PM
shup up obrien

paul george is awesome

ChicagoJ
11-11-2010, 05:19 PM
My God. Some of you are going to make me start defending O'Brien just to be a contrarian. This is just over the top. He's not good, but he's also not "that" bad. This seems reasonable. While I'd like to see George average 10-15 mpg over the course of the season, its understandable that he's going to get some DNPs - especially early in the season. The only reason he even put on a uniform for the first five games is that Rush was suspended.

I think I should just stick to making one post-game post of the games I watch and not read the rest of the board. Wow.

ChicagoJ
11-11-2010, 05:22 PM
so george will be starting over danny ?? or danny will be playing the 4???

Rush and Paul and Danny will be the wing rotation next yr trust me

There is no "four". That is so two-decades-ago. George and Danny will be the starting forwards, and DC and Rush will be the starting guards. On the very rare occasions that we're undersized and can't force them to match up to our four-out, then we can play Tyler.

vnzla81
11-11-2010, 05:25 PM
My God. Some of you are going to make me start defending O'Brien just to be a contrarian. This is just over the top. He's not good, but he's also not "that" bad. This seems reasonable. While I'd like to see George average 10-15 mpg over the course of the season, its understandable that he's going to get some DNPs - especially early in the season. The only reason he even put on a uniform for the first five games is that Rush was suspended.

I think I should just stick to making one post-game post of the games I watch and not read the rest of the board. Wow.

Posting one post a week isn't your speciality anyway?

pacer4ever
11-11-2010, 05:29 PM
...... 3+ years?

So it's already 2012?

he said it himself he hasnt been himself for 3yrs. He said he is starting to feel better now this yr.

pacer4ever
11-11-2010, 05:31 PM
There is no "four". That is so two-decades-ago. George and Danny will be the starting forwards, and DC and Rush will be the starting guards. On the very rare occasions that we're undersized and can't force them to match up to our four-out, then we can play Tyler.

small ball who is gonna guard a paul milsap or CB4 or any big PF. I guess its possible OKC does it with Jeff Green.

spazzxb
11-11-2010, 05:35 PM
:censored: 3 plus lol

10 yrs lol i knew it has been a promblem for awhile but 10 yrs wow.

If you look at my other post you will see he has played in 75 or more games in all but 2 seasons of his career (67 last year). Jo is also 2 years older than Mike. I will be kind and only provide a link to Jo's chart.

JO
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jermaine_oneal/career_stats.html

to be consistent here is Dunleavy at the same source

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/mike_dunleavy/career_stats.html

pacer4ever
11-11-2010, 05:38 PM
If you look at my other post you will see he has played in 75 or more games in all but 2 seasons of his career (67 last year). I will be kind and only provide a link to Jo's chart.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jermaine_oneal/career_stats.html

to be consistent here is Dunleavy at the same source

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/mike_dunleavy/career_stats.html

wow JO played 70 gms last yr surprsing. I cant belive we gave him all that money. what yr did he sign the 120 mill dollar deal??

ChicagoJ
11-11-2010, 05:40 PM
wow JO played 70 gms last yr surprsing. I cant belive we gave him all that money. what yr did he sign the 120 mill dollar deal??

2003, when he was the best player in the East and #3 in MVP voting.

He earned that contract for the first couple of years while he was healthy. Like most NBA contracts, the problem wasn't the dollars, but the years.

cordobes
11-11-2010, 05:41 PM

Exactly. Or a shooting off the bounce after 1/2 dribbles. He isn't a NBA caliber ball-handler yet, bounces the ball too high and wild to get away dribbling into traffic and lacks advanced moves to lose his man.

Coaches prefer to deal with Dunleavy's defensive deficiencies than with the ones George presents right now. Better bend than break. I thought this would happen when I saw George missing so many rotations and losing his man off the ball so much. George will get his minutes back at some point, sooner rather than later.

ChicagoJ
11-11-2010, 05:42 PM
small ball who is gonna guard a paul milsap or CB4 or any big PF. I guess its possible OKC does it with Jeff Green.

how many teams play with a big PF now? Not many. And when necessary, there's Tyler.

And who's going to guard both George and Granger (and Rush, and Collison, and Hibbert). You can't double away from any of them, so most nights we'll force them to match to us.

CableKC
11-11-2010, 05:43 PM
I disagree.....I'd think that going with the type of lineup that you are suggesting should be the exception...not the rule. I think that we actually do much better when we have a PF/C rotation of Hibbert/McBob/Hansbrough....regardless of whether the opposing Team goes small ball against us. I don't mind going Small ball once in awhile...but not all the time. I still don't get why we have to play down to an opponent as opposed to us forcing them to play up to us...especially when they go small-ball. I would ( for once ) like to have a Tweener Forward defend Hansbrough in the post just to see him get muscled around inside the paint.

CableKC
11-11-2010, 05:47 PM
how many teams play with a big PF now? Not many. And when necessary, there's Tyler.

And who's going to guard both George and Granger (and Rush, and Collison, and Hibbert). You can't double away from any of them, so most nights we'll force them to match to us.
If a BRush/Granger/PG rotation is hitting all of their shots on a regular basis...I can agree that you can't double-team everyone...but until we become less of a "jumpshooting" team...which we are now and start varying our offensive attack....running such a lineup will inevitably lead to times when we go cold from the field. When that happens...more often then not....opposing Teams can "double away" from any of them.

cdash
11-11-2010, 05:51 PM

Paul Millsap is listed at 6'8. I think that may even be a stretch, he's more like 6'7. Not a "big" PF. He plays big though, that I will give you.

Granville Fleming
11-11-2010, 05:56 PM
I think the plan is to showcase Dunleavy and Ford and trade them for a difference maker at the trade deadline. Why else would Ford be getting minutes while A.J. is inactive. If that is what the team is doing, I am 100% behind it.

gummy
11-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Hmmmm. I'm well past ready for JOB to be gone but I must admit that the offense is a little different this year - it does utilize Hibbert's talents more and there has been some pick 'n roll (not as much as I'd like) action.

I want to see PG get 10 minutes a game too but IF Mike can hit his shots at a decent clip and BRush plays well the fact of the matter is there isn't as much time left for PG, and I can accept that. I've liked some of what I have seen from the rookie but I don't think he has been so great that he is entitled to a certain amount of consistent minutes, nor do we need to force feed him time to the detriment of the team (and let's face it, he hasn't quite figured out where/when to take his shots and he gets lost a lot on D in addition to the promise he has shown). He will learn some of this in practice and individual workouts with trainers and Danny. As long as he sees some time in blowouts and if/when Mike and BRush aren't clicking I'm OK with this approach.

Now I feel a wee bit dirty, having defended JOB, but it had to be done. I understand the frustration with JOB - I really, really, really do - but sometimes he makes sense and I think this is one of those times.

pacer4ever
11-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Paul Millsap is listed at 6'8. I think that may even be a stretch, he's more like 6'7. Not a "big" PF. He plays big though, that I will give you.

he was on my mind after that 46 pt game i just mean a big PF lol

Kemo
11-11-2010, 07:13 PM
I don't want PG to be like Leroy Jenkins (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkCNJRfSZBU)....I want him to be a Team Player.

LMAO!
LEEEEEERRROYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!! JEEEEEEENNNKINSSS!!

good one...

Kemo
11-11-2010, 07:18 PM
[QUOTE=spazzxb;1094836]http://www.pacersdigest.com/image.php?u=8188&dateline=1288934000/QUOTE]

LMAO.. Is there any particular reason why one animal cracker is violating the other?

hehe I just noticed that and had a good smile/chuckle .....

Sollozzo
11-11-2010, 07:32 PM
2003, when he was the best player in the East and #3 in MVP voting.

He earned that contract for the first couple of years while he was healthy. Like most NBA contracts, the problem wasn't the dollars, but the years.

He was number 3 in MVP voting the first year of the contract. Every year after was a disappointment in one form or another. The second year he missed a ton of games due to brawl suspension and injury. The third year he again missed a boatload of games due to injury. He actually was fairly healthy the 4th year (by his standards at least-69 games), but the team was awful by then. The fifth year was downright pitiful.....

I'd say he played up to the contract he signed for one and only one year (03-04). Every year after that was a letdown.

We obviously had to re-sign him in 03. You don't let a 24 year old who put up 20/10 get away. If we didn't sign him then SA would have gladly given him the max to play alongside Duncan.

Anthem
11-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Last year he was recovering, this is the first year he should be 100%
Last season he was supposed to be 100%.

vnzla81
11-11-2010, 07:59 PM

Yep and he said many times that he was 100% healthy and his shooting was not affected by that.

MLB007
11-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Who told you Mike would chase the money? You don't know that either. It seems to me you base a lot of your reasoning on things that could go either way, but you assume they will go one way.

As for being a part of our future core, teams need vets especially young teams.

Especially vets that facilitate the offense. Even more important off the bench with the 2nd pg in the game.
I think now that we don't need his scoring as much that he will become more valuable in the other areas.
In the end though I suspect his expiring contract and offensive skills will make someone interested.

danman
11-11-2010, 08:47 PM
So... I'm supposed to get bent over a 20 year old rookie possibly falling out of the rotation for a while? Uh... at game 7 of an 82 game schedule?

C'mon now. Since when are we all about coddling?

None of us have seen him play in practices. In the games, he's had a few moments, but he mostly looks like a rook.

I'm as excited over young players as anyone, but this is the big leagues. If you don't cut it, you get some pine time and bust your butt in practices. Over the course of the loooong season, you will get several shots to prove yourself. Injuries alone will ensure that.

No one is going to forget about Paul George. Chill. If Dun and Rush play well, it's all good. If they don't, Paul gets another shot sooner than later.

If the season is a lost cause in the last dozen or more games, sure, the youth gets time no matter what. Outside of that, PT is the only hammer a coach has. If he gives it to some kid who's isn't performing, no one will respect him. Deservedly.

spazzxb
11-11-2010, 08:49 PM
[QUOTE=spazzxb;1094836]http://www.pacersdigest.com/image.php?u=8188&dateline=1288934000/QUOTE]

LMAO.. Is there any particular reason why one animal cracker is violating the other?

hehe I just noticed that and had a good smile/chuckle .....

Honestly I googled animal crackers and it made me laugh. Same as my new avatar.

The bigger question is how did it get to be the first image of a cracker under images when Animal Crackers is searched for on google.

spazzxb
11-11-2010, 08:54 PM

I guess but He didn't have a healthy summer. I know its not an ACL, but I know with serious knee surgery they don't expect full recovery for 2 years. Maybe I am completly wrong but at the very least he actually got to work out this summer unlike last year.

Unclebuck
11-11-2010, 09:35 PM

Welcome to my world

Sollozzo
11-11-2010, 09:47 PM
This isn't that big of a deal. Hibbert and Rush went through stages in their rookie years where they didn't get much playing time and they turned out fine. George will have played plenty of minutes by the time the year is done.

Major Cold
11-11-2010, 10:43 PM
For crying out loud he plays okay for a rookie who has 1 year of mid-major college ball under his belt. That doesn't mean you throw the season in for one players development.

Roy did not bust his rump to tank. DC was not brought here for a limbo year. You play to win. And if Paul is not as good right now as the vets, then he isn't.

And if Josh is having problems with 2 fouls, it might not be that he did not get acclimated to the NBA because he was used too sparingly in your eyes.

But if Dunleavy plays like he has minus the last 3 quarters, then I will flip out. But since we haven't played 10% of the season yet, I don't think I will.

pacer4ever
11-11-2010, 10:47 PM
For crying out loud he plays okay for a rookie who has 1 year of mid-major college ball under his belt. That doesn't mean you throw the season in for one players development.

Roy did not bust his rump to tank. DC was not brought here for a limbo year. You play to win. And if Paul is not as good right now as the vets, then he isn't.

And if Josh is having problems with 2 fouls, it might not be that he did not get acclimated to the NBA because he was used too sparingly in your eyes.

But if Dunleavy plays like he has minus the last 3 quarters, then I will flip out. But since we haven't played 10% of the season yet, I don't think I will.

Thats fair. I just dont get the double standard. Mike had 5 bad gms and still started and paul has played decent and gets pulled from the rotation. I excepted it but still i dont get why paul cant get 10-20 mins a night.

k_lewis93
11-11-2010, 10:49 PM
ummmm this is bs. PG24 has been taking good shots in my opinion and another this is, oh ya he is a rookie!! Give the kid a break and instead of bashing him to the whole world how about you say confident things you morons. I am sick of our coaching staff they know nothing about how to run a basketball team.

pacer4ever
11-11-2010, 10:51 PM
ummmm this is bs. PG24 has been taking good shots in my opinion and another this is, oh ya he is a rookie!! Give the kid a break and instead of bashing him to the whole world how about you say confident things you morons. I am sick of our coaching staff they know nothing about how to run a basketball team.

I agree instead of bashing him coach him up a bit. He has looked solid to me and plays defense that still needs improvement. It will get there i just dont like the move at all. hopefully he will get some PT tomorrow.

idioteque
11-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Doesn't make a huge deal of difference in George's overall career. One he is a rookie, two JOB will only be his coach for one year.

Mackey_Rose
11-11-2010, 11:01 PM
I can't say I'm not disappointed. George hasn't really been playing all that well, but I don't understand why there isn't room in the rotation for all 4 of the wings. It isn't like he has been too much worse than Dunleavy. (save his 1 miraculous quarter)

Hicks
11-11-2010, 11:08 PM

He dribble-drove into that nifty left-handed scoop layup the other night.

His handles are shakey, no doubt, but I think attacking the basket bill become a strength of his.

Mackey_Rose
11-11-2010, 11:12 PM

His handles are shakey, no doubt, but I think attacking the basket bill become a strength of his.

Completely agree, with his length and athleticism? Absolutely. It needs to be, and I think it will be.

Hicks
11-11-2010, 11:12 PM

He plays very big. He may not be tall, but he's still big.

I don't think Paul George could handle guarding a guy like Hansbrough, let along a guy like Milsap or someone even bigger.

I realize the trend is heading to essentially two small forwards instead of one small and one power, but let's not forget there are still more than a few big forwards in this league who are too much for Danny or Paul (future Paul) to handle full time.

Anthem
11-11-2010, 11:14 PM
I guess but He didn't have a healthy summer. I know its not an ACL, but I know with serious knee surgery they don't expect full recovery for 2 years. Maybe I am completly wrong but at the very least he actually got to work out this summer unlike last year.
Your statement correlates with reality, it just doesn't correlate with what Mike told us.

Mike delayed the surgery for half a year, saying that he'd still have time to rehab and be ready for the season. That didn't happen. By delaying the surgery and then rushing his rehab, he effectively destroyed an entire season of his career.

vnzla81
11-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Your statement correlates with reality, it just doesn't correlate with what Mike told us.

Mike delayed the surgery for half a year, saying that he'd still have time to rehab and be ready for the season. That didn't happen. By delaying the surgery and then rushing his rehab, he effectively destroyed an entire season of his career.

Some people say that it was two years counting last year, but you are right he destroyed one year and came back last year.

Major Cold
11-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Thats fair. I just dont get the double standard. Mike had 5 bad gms and still started and paul has played decent and gets pulled from the rotation. I excepted it but still i dont get why paul cant get 10-20 mins a night.

I really don't think Paul knows the offense or defense that well. At this point cluttering the passing lanes is just damaging to the offense as laying bricks.

cdash
11-12-2010, 12:17 AM
k_lewis=pacers4ever?

I think it will become a strength too, but it isn't a strength right now. He has flashes of an all around game. Flashes of being a good defender, flashes of being a good long range shooter, flashes of being a good driver, etc. The point is, he's not there yet. I'm not arguing his long-term potential, I'm just saying that I completely understand the logic behind giving him a few games on the bench.

PacerGuy
11-12-2010, 12:34 AM
Really?.... 5 pg's & counting..... Really? :shakehead

This is maddening to read.
Not the tweet, nor JO'B's comments, but the reaction!
Had the Zen Master or Coach Pop made this comment not a soul would care or think twice. Fans would react to it as it was likely intended: A verbal shoot at a young player to get their attention & to remind them that them must play hard, focus & grow every day, every practice, every opportunity.
To read reaction from a one sentence tweet, from a slack reporting twit is quite amazing. Hell, even Orsen Wells thinks the people here on PD take things too litterely, believe everything they hear without dispute, & over-react to it!
If our coach is seeing mistakes and a lack of focus, attention, comprehention, & growth from a very young first year player who has earned nothing yet in this league and wants to get his point across, while also wanting to court the best team with the best chance to win, I can not and will not fault him for that!

The JO'B hate has gotten this rediculious?.... Really???

:chillpill: x 100

Bball
11-12-2010, 06:29 AM
The JO'B hate has gotten this rediculious?.... Really???

That's what happens when what should've been a 2 year coach is into his 4th year....

There's no more benefit of the doubt cards left for O'Brien. It's just the way it is.

MTM
11-12-2010, 09:03 AM
If PG goes out and knocks down 4 or 5 threes, he'll be fine no matter what else is happening in the world.

MyFavMartin
11-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Going against Danny and Rush is only going to make him better and more confident.

Peck
11-12-2010, 12:12 PM
I agree instead of bashing him coach him up a bit. He has looked solid to me and plays defense that still needs improvement. It will get there i just dont like the move at all. hopefully he will get some PT tomorrow.

But isn't that exactly what he is doing? There are two types of re-inforcement, positive & negative.

IMO, you can NOT use one only.

There has to be consequences for bad play, lack of focus, etc.

As long as Jim still works with him & he does not give him a string of DNP-CD's or throwing him in only at garbage time I don't see any real harm in it.

I think Paul has fallen a little to much in love with the three point shot, which can also be attributed to O'Brien but there is nothing we can do about that.

I don't see anything wrong here.

However to give some of you guys from the anti-O'Brien faction a little bit of cover fire I will say this.

Jim has not always been consistant with this type of action in the past as some players have been able to play on through bad stretches while others have not.

RWB
11-12-2010, 12:28 PM
As long as Jim still works with him & he does not give him a string of DNP-CD's or throwing him in only at garbage time I don't see any real harm in it.

This is what many are concerned about. Hope I'm wrong, but I can see JOB doing exactly this.

Since86
11-12-2010, 01:58 PM
This thread is quite, funny. Everyone is in agreement that PG should be getting 10-15mins. Some are upset that it looks like he won't get any, or atleast very little, run while others think it's the wrong decision (or atleast not a decision that they would make) but don't really seem to care.

But to get back to the most interesting point, everyone is in agreement that PG should be getting 10-15mins, except Jim O'Brien.

Future_NBA_Player
11-12-2010, 03:51 PM

I agree, if he is not in the rotation let's get him at least 10-15 mins a game. He needs it to mature. There is nothing better than game experience.

ChicagoJ
11-12-2010, 05:36 PM
How does that work? If he's in the rotation, he gets 10-15 mpg. If he's not in the rotation, how does he get 10-15 mpg?

I'm more concerned that he's getting 10-15 mpg at the end of the season because he's earned it than 10-15 mpg at the begining of the season as a "gift" from the coach.

We know he's young, raw, and needs time and patience. If he were more-NBA ready, and if we didn't already have young guys playing that position ahead of him, it would be a different story (example: Rush behind Daniels and Hibbert behind Rasho two years ago.) That's not the fact pattern here.

BillS
11-12-2010, 05:54 PM
That's not the fact pattern here.

There you go, bringing facts into it again.:dance:

Hicks
11-13-2010, 01:01 AM
Well, tonight's numbers are in for our boy PG:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2V3CfD8TPac?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2V3CfD8TPac?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The Big Smooth
09-04-2013, 09:13 PM
So, I just happened to come across this old gem of a thread. Can you imagine if JOB were still in Indiana? Would Paul be getting more than 10 minutes a game?

Major Cold
09-04-2013, 09:28 PM
:inbeforethelock:

spazzxb
So, I just happened to come across this old gem of a thread. Can you imagine if JOB were still in Indiana? Would Paul be getting more than 10 minutes a game?

Booh this bump.:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

DGPR

Paul can shoot 3's so yes he would be getting playing time.

pacer4ever
09-04-2013, 09:31 PM
How we handled Paul as a rookie was and still is crazy. that kid was way to good to be getting DNPCDs and wearing suits. I am glad that the bad days are over. Frank Vogel FTW! You can give players some PT and then teach them pregame and with tape. I am all for the bench being a teacher,but with Paul it was ridiculous he didn't deserve it.

rel
09-04-2013, 09:40 PM
To JOB's credit, Paul consistently points to his ridiculous rotations as the main reason he developed his defensive skills :P

For that, I thank you lol

pacer4ever
09-04-2013, 09:42 PM
Also like I stated in the thread at the time Paul George is a playmaker having a playmaker sit in the corner is a joke. Vogel used Paul's best skill his versatility and play making that is what good coaches do adjust their offense to fit the personal. The amount of floppy and zipper sets we ran for Paul last year was perfect. Paul was basically the primary playmaker last year with West that is great coaching. Get your players in spots they can succeed.

The Big Smooth
09-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Also like I stated in the thread at the time Paul George is a playmaker having a playmaker sit in the corner is a joke. Vogel used Paul's best skill his versatility and play making that is what good coaches do adjust their offense to fit the personal. The amount of floppy and zipper sets we ran for Paul last year was perfect. Paul was basically the primary playmaker last year with West that is great coaching. Get your players in spots they can succeed.

Exactly. That was the point of this bump. (Not like we have much else to talk about right now) We have a future superstar, but we could have potentially wasted his talent because of a stubborn coach. It makes you appreciate Vogel even more. He took two guys (Hibbert and PG) that were considered to be essentially worthless by JOB and turned them into All-Stars. Sure, some of their development came with time, but there is no way that either Roy or PG make the All-Star team under JOB.

spazzxb
09-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Exactly. That was the point of this bump. (Not like we have much else to talk about right now) We have a future superstar, but we could have potentially wasted his talent because of a stubborn coach. It makes you appreciate Vogel even more. He took two guys (Hibbert and PG) that were considered to be essentially worthless by JOB and turned them into All-Stars. Sure, some of their development came with time, but there is no way that either Roy or PG make the All-Star team under JOB.

It wasn't a personal booh. Just a lot of JOB history needs to be locked in the closet on this board, in my opinion.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Day-V
09-04-2013, 10:06 PM
I still remember where I was when I read Wells' tweet on JOB being fired. Glorious day. I remember Roy couldn't keep the smile off his face when they interviewed him about it.

Can't wait for the season to start. Let's go.

MillerTime
09-04-2013, 10:12 PM
JOB almost ruined the careers of PG and Hibbert.

Major Cold
09-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Vogel didn't use PG as a versatile playmaker in the Bulls series. His offseason after his rookie year he really made mental strides.

pacer4ever
09-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Vogel didn't use PG as a versatile playmaker in the Bulls series. His offseason after his rookie year he really made mental strides.

Yes Vogel did Paul was a huge playmaker in that series(Hell he was the main reason that series was so close IMO). Paul was just used as a playmaker on the defensive end of the floor. The way Vogel got PG24 to buy into being a stopper in that series was unreal Drose was really inefficient that series. I just know this Vogel believed in Paul and going from the dog house most of the season to being a guy the coached looked at to stop an MVP caliber player is pretty big jump. Did Paul get that much better in 2 months?? I don't really think so. I believe that he had someone who believed in him and he played that much harder and wanted to get better to help the team. I believe just having a guy believe in you can do a lot for a young player. Young players will make mistakes, but in that period of the franchise we had to show some progress and some faith in our young guys Vogel did. Watching from the bench can only do so much. Like I have stated I like seeing the bench used as a tool to change players behaviors, but the way JOB did it with Paul was just laughable.

I am not in the practices so I can not comment completely on how I would of handled PT. But pulling a guy and having him miss his rotation is fine especially if he missed something your coaching staff preaches. But having him dress in suits so the likes of Mike Dunleavy can play 30+ MPG is a joke.

EDIT: Vogel uses the bench as a tool all the time especially with Lance and I have no problem with that at all. The best part is he normally tells him what he did wrong or Shaw would. The bench is a great motivator. The dog house?? Not so much.

Unclebuck
09-05-2013, 11:28 AM
I mean really. come on, please.

reading through a little bit of this thread, I almost forgot how bad it was around here.

Peck
09-05-2013, 11:48 AM
I can't believe my one contribution to this thread was that I was actually defending O'Brien.

That must have been the one week where I decided to start sniffing glue.

pacer4ever
09-05-2013, 12:03 PM
I mean really. come on, please.

reading through a little bit of this thread, I almost forgot how bad it was around here.

I know people actually thought Dunleavy was a better defender than Paul George:hmm: Crazy stuff was going on that season. I mean I was at every home game that year(talk about a job :laugh: most days were miserable until was fired. I remember Vogels pre game interview the day he was hired I will never forget the whole crowd went crazy )

Karlton
09-05-2013, 12:06 PM
I still remember where I was when I read Wells' tweet on JOB being fired. Glorious day. I remember Roy couldn't keep the smile off his face when they interviewed him about it.

Can't wait for the season to start. Let's go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf83OcV5wiM

Brad8888
09-05-2013, 12:51 PM
reading through a little bit of this thread, I almost forgot how angry, hopeless, and yet uncannily accurate it was around here.

Augmented for accuracy.

Major Cold
09-05-2013, 12:52 PM
Yes Vogel did Paul was a huge playmaker in that series(Hell he was the main reason that series was so close IMO). Paul was just used as a playmaker on the defensive end of the floor.
I guess we have a different definition of playmaker. Because my response was to you saying that Vogel immediately brought Paul George out of the corner and made him a playmaker. He didn't do this in the Bulls series. Then you redefined playmaking from offense to playmaking on defense.