PDA

View Full Version : Did You Know?

Psycho T
11-11-2010, 02:34 AM
Of the regulars Tyler Hansbrough is the team leader in FG% , PPS ( Points Per Shot ) and AFG% ( Adjusted FG% ). Yea.. Its only 6 games but he has shown a big if not huge improvement in shot selection. His jumper also seems more consistent this season compared to last.

Just thought I would mention that particular detail.

Sookie
11-11-2010, 02:44 AM
Yea he has.

I don't know whether it's luck or if the game has just slowed down for him, but he's been fantastic.

never thought he would fail though. Players with Hans' personality rarely fail.

judicata
11-11-2010, 04:15 AM
Too soon. Hell, Dunleavy practically resurrected his fg% in one quarter.

It does kind of look like Tyler stole Blair's mojo.

spazzxb
11-11-2010, 05:05 AM
Of the regulars Tyler Hansbrough is the team leader in FG% , PPS ( Points Per Shot ) and AFG% ( Adjusted FG% ). Yea.. Its only 6 games but he has shown a big if not huge improvement in shot selection. His jumper also seems more consistent this season compared to last.

Just thought I would mention that particular detail.

I wouldn't be suprised if his equilibrium was of prior to his diagnosis. Tylers jumpshot was off all last season. You don't accomplish what he did in college without a mid range jumpshot. Some of the time he also seemed a bit out of control last season, heck Sjax may have been on to something when he was whining about getting beat up and Tyler being to out of control.

cdash
11-11-2010, 05:54 AM
I wouldn't be suprised if his equilibrium was of prior to his diagnosis. Tylers jumpshot was off all last season. You don't accomplish what he did in college without a mid range jumpshot. Some of the time he also seemed a bit out of control last season, heck Sjax may have been on to something when he was whining about getting beat up and Tyler being to out of control.

...naaaahhhhhhhhhhh.

Lance George
11-11-2010, 06:10 AM
Not only do I think Tyler's a legit starting power forward, I think he's shaping up to be a pretty damn good starting power forward. Methinks there will be many servings of crow regarding Tyler Hansbrough. Not just amongst us Pacers' fans, either.

vnzla81
11-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Tyler has a chance to be in the rookie sophomore all star game this season

MLB007
11-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Some forget that he missed most of the previous offseason and all of camp and preseason games due to his shin injury.

I think we'll get real used to the 17"er from the sides.
He looks REAL comfortable with that shot and it's going to be there for him a whole bunch with Roy and our outside shooters.

Future_NBA_Player
11-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Tyler is the power forward of the future. He has an insane motor, and a knack for getting the ball. He will be an allstar guaranteed!!!!!

BillS
11-11-2010, 11:35 AM

The sheer number of possible comebacks to this have me boggled.

Suffice it to point out you may mean "17'-er" (seventeen footer), not seventeen-incher.

vnzla81
11-11-2010, 11:49 AM
The sheer number of possible comebacks to this have me boggled.

Suffice it to point out you may mean "17'-er" (seventeen footer), not seventeen-incher.

Is maybe both ;)

boombaby_rm31
11-11-2010, 12:25 PM
that is good to hear

daschysta
11-11-2010, 12:48 PM
If Tyler can turn out to be a really good player we seriously are pretty packed with young talent. Makes the cap space very interesting because it will allow us to ship off a bit of the yougn talent to a team that wants cap space and take back a legit star quality player. Blair hasn't looked impressive since he actually started getting minutes vs. Starting Calibur players, if tyler puts his health problems behind him the pick is starting to look less and less crow worthy.

BlueNGold
11-11-2010, 01:28 PM
I think many people assume he's not going to improve based on the way he plays the game. I don't think I buy that. He's already improved since last year. More confident and fluid stroke. Far better shot selection. He also seems better defensively. He's under-rated athletically, particularly playing next to McBob.

What exactly can he not do? Defend the rim might be one. ...but how many PF's specialize in swatting away shots at the rim ala Jermaine O'Neal or Kevin Garnett?....or even McBob? Is that the only knock on his game?

Hicks
11-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Not only do I think Tyler's a legit starting power forward, I think he's shaping up to be a pretty damn good starting power forward. Methinks there will be many servings of crow regarding Tyler Hansbrough. Not just amongst us Pacers' fans, either.

I am speaking as a fan and a very big supporter of Tyler when I say this.

I don't understand why some of you insist on getting ahead of yourselves with him, time after time. I see improvement in his shot selection, and it reflects in his much better FG% so far, and I think he looks healthy.

But I also acknowledge that he's doing this against lesser competition than lies ahead, and he's been performing as a backup against backups and more fatigued starters.

If he keeps this up for months, then it's certainly going to reach a point where I want to see if he can keep producing against fresh starters on other teams, but I don't think we're there yet.

*edit* Then I see this:

Tyler is the power forward of the future. He has an insane motor, and a knack for getting the ball. He will be an allstar guaranteed!!!!!

:picard:

vnzla81
11-11-2010, 01:37 PM
I think many people assume he's not going to improve based on the way he plays the game. I don't think I buy that. He's already improved since last year. More confident and fluid stroke. Far better shot selection. He also seems better defensively. He's under-rated athletically, particularly playing next to McBob.

What exactly can he not do? Defend the rim might be one. ...but how many PF's specialize in swatting away shots at the rim ala Jermaine O'Neal or Kevin Garnett?....or even McBob? Is that the only knock on his game?

If he starts to hit those jumper he will take the starting spot, I think the knock on him by some guys here is that his shot is not pretty enough even though he always finds a way to make it go in, another knock on him when he got drafted was that he was going to be a foul machine because of the way he plays, so far I haven't seen anything that he can't do.

Hicks
11-11-2010, 01:37 PM
He looks REAL comfortable with that shot and it's going to be there for him a whole bunch with Roy and our outside shooters.

A 17 inch shot seems awful close to me. Tyler can get in trouble if he lands flat-footed under the rim. ;)

Jon Theodore
11-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Hansbrough is my personal jesus christ.

daschysta
11-11-2010, 02:06 PM
It might be that his awkward brand of muscleball will never work against starters.

One thing that I am pretty sure of though is that he is talented enough, and relentless enough, to eat most bench players. Tyler could end up being one of the best bench players in the league someday, if not only for his hustle. Offensive efficiency and a jumper are just cake.

PacersPride
11-11-2010, 02:11 PM
i hope this comment is not taken the wrong way, its not my intent at all. but how much of the criticism with Hansbro has to do with the fact he is white. i think many doubt his abilities for that reason alone, and automatically assumed he was going to suck.

i watch hansbro play and i honestly cant tell one bit of difference b/t him and AD (aka Antonio Davis). in fact hansbro is a mixture of AD's offensive ability and toughness to go with Fosters fiestiness and rebouding abilities.

maybe im way off base here, but i think it may have something to do with it that so many doubted hansbro.. thats directed at all pacer fans who were critical of the selection and have been negative of his production from last year; which i was actually impressed by him in the limited time he played. i knew when he went up in one motion and rebounded a ball and dunked it at the same time this kid had some game. i nvr questioned his heart and hustle, but was pleased to see he had more athleticism than i ever realized.. in addition to the intangiables and fundamentals.. the kid is going to be solid.

probably much better than emeka okafor who was drafted number 1 overall, and yet we got hansbro at 13.

again, i hope this post is not taken the wrong way, but i truly think that had much to do with ppl not seeing hansbro as an legit nba talent.

90'sNBARocked
11-11-2010, 02:17 PM
i hope this comment is not taken the wrong way, its not my intent at all. but how much of the criticism with Hansbro has to do with the fact he is white. i think many doubt his abilities for that reason alone, and automatically assumed he was going to suck.

i watch hansbro play and i honestly cant tell one bit of difference b/t him and AD (aka Antonio Davis). in fact hansbro is a mixture of AD's offensive ability and toughness to go with Fosters fiestiness and rebouding abilities.

maybe im way off base here, but i think it may have something to do with it that so many doubted hansbro.. thats directed at all pacer fans who were critical of the selection and have been negative of his production from last year; which i was actually impressed by him in the limited time he played. i knew when he went up in one motion and rebounded a ball and dunked it at the same time this kid had some game. i nvr questioned his heart and hustle, but was pleased to see he had more athleticism than i ever realized.. in addition to the intangiables and fundamentals.. the kid is going to be solid.

probably much better than emeka okafor who was drafted number 1 overall, and yet we got hansbro at 13.

again, i hope this post is not taken the wrong way, but i truly think that had much to do with ppl not seeing hansbro as an legit nba talent.

That could apply either way

If Tyler can keep doing the positive things he is currently doing, and promise to never shoot the ball form his hip/shoulder, then I think he can be a solid bench contributor. I dont think he will ever be all star material because the strengths he brings often dont show up on a stat sheet

Tyler is the anti-Hollinger

Hicks
11-11-2010, 02:44 PM

I wish you'd simply given the board the benefit of the doubt about this and left it alone until someone actually gave you a specific reason to go there.

Anthem
11-11-2010, 03:15 PM
I don't care if Tyler is green and purple. Good play is good play.

The race card's a little weird in this situation, though, because most of the people knocking Tyler are high on McRoberts, and vice versa (hint: they're both white). Racism? Really? You'd have a better chance to prove that people don't like Tyler because he can't grow an impressive beard.

And for the record, while I love what Tyler's been bringing to the table, I still like McRoberts as the starter.

Trader Joe
11-11-2010, 03:40 PM
I hate Tyler because he can't (or won't) grow an impressive beard.

PacersPride
11-11-2010, 04:05 PM
I wish you'd simply given the board the benefit of the doubt about this and left it alone until someone actually gave you a specific reason to go there.

my bad Hicks, i second guessed whether i shoulda posted it. but all the criticism of Bird and Hansbro last year was unwarranted in my opinion. i really cant see any difference between AD and Hansbro.. i loved the contributions that AD brought to this team off the bench, and he was a capable starter as well.

he was tough as nails, would get rebounds, set vicious screens, had a nice jumpshot from 15, and do alot of the dirty work that goes unnoticed.

anyways, ive thought that for awhile now and why many, like the nba pundits marc stein and broussard etc say his game would not translate to the nba. he is gonna prove alot "nba experts" wrong.

truly enjoy the tenacious style of basketball he brings to the court.

PacersPride
11-11-2010, 04:09 PM
I don't care if Tyler is green and purple. Good play is good play.

The race card's a little weird in this situation, though, because most of the people knocking Tyler are high on McRoberts, and vice versa (hint: they're both white). Racism? Really? You'd have a better chance to prove that people don't like Tyler because he can't grow an impressive beard.

And for the record, while I love what Tyler's been bringing to the table, I still like McRoberts as the starter.

this is why i should not have posted it. its not racism at all, its no different than all those in the media and elsewhere who say Bird drafted a bunch of "white" players.. what is really the purpose in saying that.. who cares the color of someones skin, if they can play ball it shouldnt matter. its not the recent comments but more the ones that have been circulating since the pacers added hansbro to the roster.

again, i knew the comments would be taken out of context and i agree its a sensitive area so i just shoulda kept quiet about it.

i just think that many had preconcieved ideas that tyler was just another guy Bird brought in here that did not have the upside or potential to make it in this league.

naptownmenace
11-11-2010, 04:26 PM
The player Tyler reminds me of the most - HORACE GRANT.

Yeah, I said it.

90'sNBARocked
11-11-2010, 06:00 PM

Yeah, I said it.

or Kurt Rambis

naptownmenace
11-11-2010, 06:49 PM
or Kurt Rambis

Rambis couldn't hit that 15-17 foot jumper like Hansbrough or Ho Grant could.

I'd love to see Tyler rock some glasses or goggles like Rambis or Grant. (subliminal MagicRat request)

TinManJoshua
11-11-2010, 10:21 PM

Yeah, I said it.

His rebounding reminds me more of Harvey.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

jeffg-body
11-12-2010, 01:01 AM
Tyler has been playing really well and I have been pleasently surprised. I had thought to myself that I was not going to expect much from Tyler and basically had written thise season off as his rookie year and a learning experience. I know it has only been six games, but he has contributed in his time on the court.

MLB007
11-12-2010, 01:18 AM

I think he'll defend the rim with his physicality and quick and STRONG hands. He will make them absorb punishment versus blocking their shots (though he's not helpless there either) and he seems to be REALLY good at stripping the ball, and if it's loose and 2 guys have there hands on it,,,,,,, our ball.
There were at least 3 of those in the first half of the Denver game, where someone had the rebound and he just flat took it away from them.
It's wild.

MLB007
11-12-2010, 01:20 AM
A 17 inch shot seems awful close to me. Tyler can get in trouble if he lands flat-footed under the rim. ;)

I was just thinking that with his equilibrium problem we'd just camp him in the lane and see how that worked. LOL

cdash
11-12-2010, 01:30 AM
I hate Tyler because he can't (or won't) grow an impressive beard.

Who would be uglier with a beard: Tyler Hansbrough or Tom Crean? Honest question.

Actually, who would be the ugliest person ever with a beard? Gene Keady can't play, because he wins even without a beard.

KennerLeaguer
11-12-2010, 04:19 AM
If Tyler can turn out to be a really good player we seriously are pretty packed with young talent. Makes the cap space very interesting because it will allow us to ship off a bit of the yougn talent to a team that wants cap space and take back a legit star quality player. Blair hasn't looked impressive since he actually started getting minutes vs. Starting Calibur players, if tyler puts his health problems behind him the pick is starting to look less and less crow worthy.

Well, you now left an opening in which we can start wondering if the same could happen to Tyler. Especially once the rest of the NBA gets a "book' on him.

spazzxb
11-12-2010, 05:20 AM
Well, you now left an opening in which we can start wondering if the same could happen to Tyler. Especially once the rest of the NBA gets a "book' on him.

The scouting report is he will out muscle you, work harder than you have in your life, draw fouls, make open shots, make close shots in traffic and if you get physical with him he just fights harder. While I am not saying he is unstoppable , I don't think Tyler is an easy guy to gameplan for except being in the best cardiovascular shape possible to even hope to keep up with his engine. In truth Tyler still looks like the guy he as always been even with NBA competition.

DaveP63
11-12-2010, 09:27 AM
I think he'll defend the rim with his physicality and quick and STRONG hands. He will make them absorb punishment versus blocking their shots (though he's not helpless there either) and he seems to be REALLY good at stripping the ball, and if it's loose and 2 guys have there hands on it,,,,,,, our ball.
There were at least 3 of those in the first half of the Denver game, where someone had the rebound and he just flat took it away from them.
It's wild.

All of this.

Mackey_Rose
11-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Tyler has had a very good start to the season. I still think his offensive effectiveness is a little bit smoke and mirrors type of stuff, but if it isn't and he can do it consistently he's going to be a major contributor.

I'm with Anthem, those contributions make more sense off the bench. He doesn't seem to be as good of a compliment to the starting unit as McRoberts. Hansbrough is a scorer, he should be one of the main scoring options in the second unit because that group needs all the help they can get. If he was starting, he would be the fourth option at best. Josh gives us better defensive presence, and rebounding, but most importantly he moves the ball better and helps set up Collison, Granger, and Hibbert to score much better than Tyler.

If we all agree that it is better to run the offense through the inside, and specifically through Roy, it makes sense for Josh to be playing as many minutes next to him as possible. I think Josh is the best post feeder we have on the team, and he really seems to make it a point of emphasis to get Roy the ball as often as he can.

It isn't a knock on Tyler to say he shouldn't be starting, that just seems to be what is best for the team and where he fits in the best.

Infinite MAN_force
11-12-2010, 01:15 PM
I don't think its a knock on Tyler at all to say his best role is probably to come off the bench. He should be able to do significant damage to team's second unit bigs night in and night out. His offense is ugly but effective (so far). If he can continue scoring the way he has he could be a 6th man of the year candidate someday.

Josh as a facilitator/shot blocker/rebounder in the starting lineup fits perfectly. I'm really happy with our PF rotation.

Hicks
11-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Tyler may be somewhat of a scorer, but he's not a go-to scorer. He just aggressively tries to take what the defense gives him, and I think that can and does fit in with whomever he plays with so long as the ball is moving.

Tyler isn't a guy you call an iso for (unless Joe Alexander is guarding him), but if you get him the ball at the right time, he's going to make the defense pay if they're not ready for him.

When the D is ready for him, that's where he needs to make that midrange jumper his money shot to keep the D honest.

Really, he could work as a starter or off the bench, but I think he'll have more success off the bench because of weaker competition.

Combined with his energy/hustle/scrappiness/rebounding/defense, I kind of view Tyler as a "Super-roleplayer".

vnzla81
11-12-2010, 01:23 PM
I agree that at this moment Tyler should be coming off the bench, but if he starts to hit the jumper and opens the floor for Hibbert it should be a non brainer for him to be the starter, another thing people are missing is that Tyler is going to be able to draw fouls on the other team starting PF(he is just good at it)

edit: I have a feeling that Hans would be the starter at the end of the year, either way he is the one getting the most minutes right now, Jim is also trusting him to close some games too.

15th parallel
11-12-2010, 01:28 PM
For me it doesn't matter who starts or not. If they can contribute when they are given minutes, then that's all that matters. If one is not getting the job done, then you sub him to the other.

These are what I love about Tyler's game. So far his physicality and tenacity inside has become something very refreshing since the Murphy era. Just imagine those tough rebounds and those offensive boards that we rarely see last season. What I like about Josh is his complementary role in terms of his ability to recognize his teammates for a good pass and a leaping ability enough to get some highlight dunks and swat shots inside.

15th parallel
11-12-2010, 01:41 PM
I have a feeling that Hans would be the starter at the end of the year, either way he is the one getting the most minutes right now, Jim is also trusting him to close some games too.

If the current second unit is Solo, Posey, Dun, DJones, Raw George, and TJ, then I would rather have Hans at the second unit for now or until the end of season. That's just a very weak lineup especially on rebounding and inside scoring.

pacer4ever
11-12-2010, 02:46 PM
If the current second unit is Solo, Posey, Dun, DJones, Raw George, and TJ, then I would rather have Hans at the second unit for now or until the end of season. That's just a very weak lineup especially on rebounding and inside scoring.

where is Rush or Dunleavy one of them is on the 2nd unit. I want Dunleavy beacause we need more offense on the 2nd unit.

Psycho T
11-23-2010, 01:32 AM
Still leading.

Jon Theodore
11-23-2010, 01:59 AM
Hansbrough is too real for everyone.