PDA

View Full Version : Paul George blog- 11/10

BringJackBack
11-10-2010, 08:09 PM
http://my.nba.com/cms/indiana_pacers_blogs/paul_georges_blog/156029/an_amazing_roll,_but_perhaps_a_changing_role

We've been playing one-on-one after practice and that really helps me out because Danny's a pretty good defender. So now I'm starting to get the rhythm down of a defender guarding me, of getting up shots and getting by defenders and shooting. It's something that I asked him to do just to get me comfortable.

It looks like Danny is really embracing the leadership role. I like it.

Trophy
11-10-2010, 08:20 PM
It looks like Danny is really embracing the leadership role. I like it.

He's embraced the leadership role for 3 seasons now and he does his best to help improve guys on the team.

Danny is a devoted leader and it really helps the team out a lot.

It's great to see Danny and Paul working together. Paul is very similar to Danny and seeing a wing lineup of them in the future is really going to be dangerous to play against.

Sookie
11-10-2010, 08:27 PM
It's cute how he thinks playing well in games and practice will get him minutes..

OakMoses
11-10-2010, 08:59 PM
It's cute how he thinks playing well in games and practice will get him minutes..

Is there a PD rule that I missed that says this silliness has to be in every thread?

Sookie
11-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Is there a PD rule that I missed that says this silliness has to be in every thread?

It's not silly if it's true.

Brandon Rush didn't have to earn his way back into the rotation, to take George's role. He got third man off the bench, right away.

TJ and Darren didn't earn their roles (Not saying I have a problem with Darren starting. I'm saying he didn't earn it..he got it)

Posey was terrible in the preseason, and didn't earn his role, which started off as first big off the bench..now we aren't sure what his role is.

There's a history of JOB playing older players, when other guys are outperforming them. So long as JOB does it, I'll complain about it.

pacer4ever
11-10-2010, 09:10 PM

Brandon Rush didn't have to earn his way back into the rotation, to take George's role. He got third man off the bench, right away.

TJ and Darren didn't earn their roles (Not saying I have a problem with Darren starting. I'm saying he didn't earn it..he got it)

Posey was terrible in the preseason, and didn't earn his role, which started off as first big off the bench..now we aren't sure what his role is.

There's a history of JOB playing older players, when other guys are outperforming them. So long as JOB does it, I'll complain about it.

Darren earned his role

Sookie
11-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Darren earned his role

Darren got his role when he was traded here. That's not earning it in a Pacers uniform. Like I said, it's not that I have a problem with that one..if Ford was starting....but to say he (Darren) earned it, is just incorrect. It was given to him, and he's played well enough to not give it up. (Unlike, up until last game, Dun)

pacer4ever
11-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Darren got his role when he was traded here. That's not earning it in a Pacers uniform. Like I said, it's not that I have a problem with that one..if Ford was starting....but to say he (Darren) earned it, is just incorrect. It was given to him, and he's played well enough to not give it up. (Unlike, up until last game, Dun)

How do u know who has earned thier role and who hasnt?? do u go to pratice??

Eleazar
11-10-2010, 09:55 PM

That could be a bit of a stretch. For all we know Rush was playing better than Granger in practice. I think it is very likely that Rush has been playing better than George from the very beginning of training camp.

pacer4ever
11-10-2010, 09:57 PM
That could be a bit of a stretch. For all we know Rush was playing better than Granger in practice. I think it is very likely that Rush has been playing better than George from the very beginning of training camp.

people have said brandon looks like a brand new player this yr in pratice. quinn buckner talked about it today on the dan dakich show. he said brandon is way more agressive than he use to be.

BringJackBack
11-10-2010, 10:04 PM
This also reminds me of when an ESPN article talked about Ron Artest staying after practice to make Danny himself a better player. Ron would play tenacious defense and he told Danny Sr. that Danny was going to be a star. Perhaps this is more than just Danny Granger embracing his role since Team USA. He is working hard with Paul George because he knows what he can become. I'm still waiting for Danny to say that Paul is going to be a star, but the point that I am trying to make obviously still stands. I have that article framed and it is sitting in my bedroom.

I just thought that part was neat considering when Danny was the young man and got pushed to hard limits by Ron Artest. Now Danny is the veteran pushing twenty year old rookie Paul George after practice.

Sookie
11-10-2010, 10:07 PM

True, but I would think that the player that got suspended for breaking league rules would have to earn their place in games before they take the spot of a person in the rotation.

I'm not saying in Darren or in Rush's case it's a negative. (I think Posey and Ford was the negative) Because I think they would earn their spots, if given the opportunity. I think Rush is better than George right now. I'm saying it wasn't earned in games.

My point from the begining was that JOB has his set rotations, and playing well or practicing well doesn't seem to change them. So if JOB wants a three man wing rotation, it'll be Dun/Granger/Brandon, whether it's deserved or not. And it won't change unless one of them gets hurt, or plays SO bad for months on end and its necessary for it to change. But I've said before, all the Price situation shows other players is that it doesn't matter how well you play or practice, JOB will play who he likes. So George thinking if he plays hard and practices well..and heck..even outplays one of the wings, it'll mean he gets more time..doesn't seem to be happening..unless of course JOB decides to go with a four wing rotation. (Which I don't see why he wouldn't, personally.)

And you know what, if the Pacers are winning, JOB has every right to do that, he's the coach. (even if fans don't like it) But, if one of the wings is playing poorly, and we're losing, and it's a situation where George might help. Not playing George is a mistake. This is a bit of a different sitation than with the point guards, George really isn't better than Dun right now. He will be, possibly by the end of the year..but right now..I think George is just so raw, that as much as he obviously needs to play now, I do doubt that he's beating other players in practice. But I don't think it would matter if he was.

Part Timer
11-10-2010, 11:27 PM
I think Rush is better than George right now. I'm saying it wasn't earned in games.

My point from the begining was that JOB has his set rotations, and playing well or practicing well doesn't seem to change them.

What did Rush do against the Nuggets, except earn it in the game? Did he have to wait longer to get the opportunity?

Are you saying O'brien set his rotations before training camp started?

PR07
11-10-2010, 11:43 PM
I don't see any problem with Rush bumping George from the rotation immediately. He's simply the more polished player right now. I'm sure O'Brien has seen this in practice. He's been in this system going on his third year and he's an exceptional defender. A player like Rush, who can play solid defense, typically won't hurt you the way an inexperienced rookie like George can, and I think that's one of the things you want from one of your key reserves.

PaceBalls
11-11-2010, 12:38 AM
It's usually awkward being the one to train your potential replacement. Nice to see Danny steippin up.

daschysta
11-11-2010, 12:50 AM
Good thing George is being groomed as a SG, plus i doubt any player of Dannies calibur would be threatened by some rook anyhow.

PaceBalls
11-11-2010, 12:58 AM
Good thing George is being groomed as a SG, plus i doubt any player of Dannies calibur would be threatened by some rook anyhow.

We shall see... I think Danny will be traded before his contract is up. Especially if Paul learns fast.

OakMoses
11-11-2010, 01:06 AM
So long as JOB does it, I'll complain about it.

I don't like TJ Ford, probably on the same level that you don't like JOB. I think he over-dribbles among other things. However, I don't seek to find a way to bash TJ Ford in every thread that pops up.

Anyone who regularly reads this forum knows your complaint. A lot of people, myself included, think there's some validity to it. That doesn't mean that I want to read/hear it every day.

Sookie
11-11-2010, 02:00 AM
I don't like TJ Ford, probably on the same level that you don't like JOB. I think he over-dribbles among other things. However, I don't seek to find a way to bash TJ Ford in every thread that pops up.

Anyone who regularly reads this forum knows your complaint. A lot of people, myself included, think there's some validity to it. That doesn't mean that I want to read/hear it every day.

I don't like to read/hear posters calling out other posters. And I mean that in all cases, not just this one. I think posters should respond to content, not the individual. And if they have a problem, to take it to PMs. But that's what I individually think, and I don't feel I should be telling other posters what to do just because I don't want to see it.

imawhat
11-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Who wrote this? Surely Paul would remember that he didn't go to college for four years.

OakMoses
11-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Who wrote this? Surely Paul would remember that he didn't go to college for four years.

Ha! Good catch.

Anthem
11-11-2010, 03:16 PM
You are the man.

:bowdown:

Trader Joe
11-11-2010, 03:21 PM

And promptly outplayed George in nearly every way....

I know there's a lot of AJ Price love on this board, and you in particular Sookie, but Ford really hasn't played poorly.

This is the most confusing, but again, if you buy an extra week or so for Tyler to get up to speed with everyone else due to not being able to do anything til basically September, it makes more sense.

When Paul George out performs Brandon Rush, we can talk about this.

When AJ Price out performs a healthy TJ Ford this season, we can talk about this.

When Tyler Hansbrough outperformed James Posey, Tyler passed him in the rotation.

I'm not a JOB supporter in my mind, but jeez it certainly seems like I'm defending the guy a lot lately.

Also, Paul George never "earned" his role in the rotation in my mind. He was the third wing off the bench from preseason game 1, so I guess by your definition Sookie, he never really earned it. And God knows, that Rush on defense makes George look like a mental midget right now.

Paul will be fine, but if he's only getting 15-18 MPG this season, it's not the end of the world.

Since86
11-11-2010, 03:21 PM
How do u know who has earned thier role and who hasnt?? do u go to pratice??

You mean like AJ getting DNP-CD beside his name after JOb told the world that AJ was the best PG in practice they had on the team?

You mean knowing that kind of information coming straight from the horses mouth?

Or Jim telling us that Tyler wasn't playing, because he wasn't up to speed. (see results of Tyler's play for conclusion)

Future_NBA_Player
11-11-2010, 03:24 PM

Playing well will get him minutes. Job doesn't play someone just because they're a rookie, he doesn't play them beacuse they can't do something well enough to help out the team.

Trader Joe
11-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Maybe Jim should stop speaking. He makes one comment (the now infamous Price is the best player comment) after what, the second or third PRESEASON game and now it is treated as gospel?

Ever think he said that to motivate Collison and Ford to play better?

Since86
11-11-2010, 03:27 PM
When AJ Price out performs a healthy TJ Ford this season, we can talk about this.

Really? We haven't been told that AJ routinely outperforms his PG counterparts? We were told that LAST season, and AJ didn't get any playing time then either. We were also told that AJ was the best Pacer during preseason, and then when TJ got healthy, that "Best Player" was shown love by not even being active for the game.

I know you want to take the middle ground, but the middle ground is gone. Jim has told us, not once, but multiple times that AJ plays better in practice, and in games, but yet he's the one wearing a suit.

And to think that TJ is still hobbled by an injury that requires rest to heal to boot!!

And for the record, I'm not as high on AJ as Sookie obviously is, I think he's a good player but he's still a backup not a starter for this team even. This issue isn't about AJ, it's about a coach that tells us one thing, and then does the EXACT opposite. Which is why if Wells comes out with a tweet saying George will be the first wing off the bench still, there would be jokes made that he won't get a second of burn.

What JOb says, and what he does, are two completely different things.

Since86
11-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Maybe Jim should stop speaking. He makes one comment (the now infamous Price is the best player comment) after what, the second or third PRESEASON game and now it is treated as gospel?

Ever think he said that to motivate Collison and Ford to play better?

I think having the team inquire about buying out your contract is motivation enough.

And you don't movitate one player by praising another, when you expect to take a dump on said player that you're praising. It confuses the public, obviously, and it's going to **** off the other player.

Or would you prefer your boss telling you in front of your coworkers how you're such a valuable asset to your company, only to be fired the next day? I know that would just tickle me.

Trader Joe
11-11-2010, 03:34 PM
I think that there is an entirely different set of rules to motivating an office vs. motivating a basketball team.

If you want to take O'Brien's comment on AJ Price is the best player on the team at face value, then be my guest, but man if Price was our best player, we would be in a whole lot of trouble.

To me, that was a hey, Darren get your head out of your *** so far AJ has out played you. Big whoop. Congratulations to AJ Price on having three straight good games in the preseason.

Since86
11-11-2010, 03:41 PM
There's a difference? Is playing basketball not their job?

You're acting like I'm twisting JOb's words. I'm not. I'm saying exactly what he said. There are many MANY ways to motivate someone. Screwing one player over, so you can motivate another is stupid for a number of different reasons.

If you want to motivate TJ or Darren, then do it. But don't do it at the expense of another player that's on the team trying to make his name.

Is that really too much to ask? I don't think so.

Trader Joe
11-11-2010, 03:44 PM
All he said was AJ Price had been the best player through THREE PRESEASON GAMES!

How is that screwing him over?

It's not like he said AJ Price is better than Michael Jordan and then promptly cut him.

Also, yes it is their job, but I fully recognize, that my job as a leasing manager is completely different from their job as a basketball player. About the only similarity is that we both get paid to do our jobs. To compare an office situation to a basketball team is just not a viable thing to do.

Since86
11-11-2010, 03:49 PM
If you won't even acknowledge last year's statements by JOb regarding AJ, his play during games, and his practices, then this conversation is pointless.

Like I've been saying for three freaking weeks now. If it was ONE thing, then I see you're point. But this is common place for Jim. This isn't an isolated incident. This has happened MULTIPLE times, just with AJ.

Until you actually come back into the realm of reality, and look at the entire picture, there's not much more that I can say.

AJ outplays Earl and TJ during practice=DNP-CD
TJ gets hurt=AJ into the lineup
AJ plays pretty damn well, and outperforms TJ hands down="Now we know what he has" DNP-CD
AJ best player so far during preseason=TJ will be backup eventhough he managed to play 6 total minutes of preason and AJ sitting on the sidelines in a suit.

But yes, let's stay focused on just one aspect of the entire situation.

EDIT: And I'm not talking about how to run an office, I'm talking about motivating people. I'm talking about how you would prefer you were motivated, or how you would feel being used to motivate someone else.

Trader Joe
11-11-2010, 04:01 PM
And I still say that motivating people in sports is different than anywhere else...Not everyone is motivated the same way...

As far as accusations as to who is living in reality and who is not living in reality, well let's just say that I think that's up for debate, but I'm done with the conversation.

I'll be more than happy to ***** to high heaven once I think TJ has actually hurt the team this season, not in the past, but as of right now, he's actually played pretty well in a backup PG roll.

Since86
11-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Yes, because my whole argument has been based around how ****ty TJ has been playing and how AJ should get his minutes.

I don't care one iota about AJ. I can replace his name with X's if it will make a difference. I don't like being routinely lied too, regardless of intent. And it's either blatant lying, or Jim is complete dumbass. Take your pick.

And you're still not getting my point about motivation. I understand people are motivated differently. But you don't motivate one person, but hurting another. That's not good motivation tactic, regardless of where it takes place. That's my point.

EDIT: And we can shift this discussion to someone other than AJ. We can talk Tyler if you'd like. How we magically went from not having a role because he wasn't up to speed, to him literally carrying the team to a victory two days later.

But yes, I'm sure Jim was just trying to motivate Tyler to study film more.....

Trader Joe
11-11-2010, 04:10 PM
If AJ has honestly been hurt by what O'Brien has said then I would have to question his mental toughness.

Since86
11-11-2010, 04:12 PM
If AJ has honestly been hurt by what O'Brien has said then I would have to question his mental toughness.

And if Jim thinks it's a good idea to put one player down in order to build up another then I would have to question his intelligence.

EDIT: And I'm sure it does hurt AJ. How AJ responds to it is what determines his mental toughness. Regardless of common thought, having feelings isn't a hinderence in sports.

RWB
11-11-2010, 04:13 PM

No, usually grown men prefer to kick someone's @ss when treated that way. Thus the reason someone like Bob Knight would never have the success coaching in the professional ranks.

Trader Joe
11-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Or he could just be a professional and keep going about his business without crying into his cheerios or wanting to throw down with Obie?

pacers74
11-11-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm just really tired of this crap. Wells need to stop talking to JOB or stop posting this crap. I'm sure there will be an article about this tomorrow.

Tyler is not going to be in the rotation. Look at him now.

B.Rush goes from having to work his back in, to starting, and then to the first wing off of the bench. Look at him now.

AJ goes from best player in preseason to not dressing. Look at him now.:confused::(

It all makes no sence at all. Just shut up and coach. Stop talking to reporters.:censored:

Since86
11-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Or he could just be a professional and keep going about his business without crying into his cheerios or wanting to throw down with Obie?

Or how about we wouldn't have this issue, if Jim just didn't lie? That would be a nice place to start, at the beginning.

It's just unnecassary. Motivation can happen without taking a dump on others.

Trader Joe
11-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Well, he didn't lie in this latest comment that sparked this outburst...All he said was Price was the best player through three preseason games...

Will Galen
11-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Like I've been saying for three freaking weeks now. . . there's not much more that I can say.

I somehow don't think that will stop you!

Since86
11-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Well, he didn't lie in this latest comment that sparked this outburst...All he said was Price was the best player through three preseason games...

And then rewarded him with a demotion. That's par for the course.

Will Galen
11-11-2010, 04:57 PM
[QUOTE=pacers74;1094729]I'm just really tired of this crap. Wells need to stop talking to JOB or stop posting this crap. He won't. I'm sure there will be an article about this tomorrow. See you agree.

Tyler is not going to be in the rotation. Because he played well. Look at him now.

B.Rush goes from having to work his back in, to starting, and then to the first wing off of the bench. He played well. Look at him now.

AJ goes from best player in preseason to not dressing. Three games does not a preseason make. Look at him now.:confused::(

It all makes no sence at all.
Sure it does. Things change, so coach changes things. That's not hard for most posters to understand.

Just shut up and coach. Stop talking to reporters. It's part of his job.

Sookie
11-11-2010, 05:01 PM
I think that there is an entirely different set of rules to motivating an office vs. motivating a basketball team.

If you want to take O'Brien's comment on AJ Price is the best player on the team at face value, then be my guest, but man if Price was our best player, we would be in a whole lot of trouble.

To me, that was a hey, Darren get your head out of your *** so far AJ has out played you. Big whoop. Congratulations to AJ Price on having three straight good games in the preseason.

Come on, Price WAS playing the best on the team at that point. That wasn't a "hey, Darren get your head out of your ***" that was JOB being honest.

Was it going to stay that way, for the Pacers sake, we all hoped not, but regardless, Price should have earned a spot in the rotation because of it.

Instead, JOB went with TJ. Why? Because he promised TJ that spot in the summer, most likely.

But you have to understand, that what JOB did in the Price/Ford situation, was imply that it does not matter how well you play or how well you practice, JOB's lineups are JOB's lineups..and he'll do whatever he likes, and the players have no control.

That's a helpless situation. One that most players are not in control of. It's like when the coach's son is on the team...

In Price's case, whether he's "hurt" or not..I don't know. I don't know the background there. But I do know, this isn't the first time JOB has done this to Price specifically. (More like the fifth) And I also know that, yes, Price outplayed TJ last season, and quite frankly, I'm not sure where the debate is there..And I also know that Price's performance in the preseason was better than TJ's performance has been in the regular season.

Obrien will talk about practice habbits with players and explain that as a reason why he won't play a player. But that's not a rule, it's an excuse used when he doesn't want to play a player. Earlier in the preseason Ford (along with a few others) had to do sprints because of a poor practice. And according to JOB "AJ never has a good practice." And then add in that AJ was apparently outplaying Ford and Watson in practice last season. Obviously, there isn't a rule there..it's an excuse to not play Paul. But if Jim wanted to play Paul, he would regardless. And that sets up a bad system on the team.

And I know, many people are in love with Darren, and heck..last game, Darren was awesome. And I actually really like Daren. But my personal belief is that with Darren and AJ, one is not necessarily better than the other, they are just very different point guards. (And to be honest, I think AJ's better. But I also recognize that AJ's style is what I prefer out of my pg, and Collison's athleticism may persuade some ) And this system AJ is better suited for it. That doesn't mean I think Price should start..but seeing as he's the only PG that gets the system and actually runs it effectively, played extremely well in preseason, and apparently never has a bad practice..one would assume he'd get time. So think I'm crazy or not, but I'll just throw it out there that I've been right about this kid since I joined this forum. And that, I wouldn't be such a big fan if there wasn't a reason to be a big fan.. ;)

So why not allow them to actually compete with each other for minutes, instead of just giving it to Darren. I would think a little bit of competitiveness would be good between the two of them for minutes. It'd improve them, which would improve the team (whose ever playing better plays..) and there'd be a sense of self fulfillment. And notice I'm not including TJ there because TJ's not a part of the future for this team, and quite frankly, he's not as good as these two anyway.

That all being said, I understand there's a possibility that the team feels it has to play TJ for trade purposes. After all, he's not staying, and his trade value wouldn't be that great if he's third string behind two second year pgs. And perhaps the organization has explained this to Price. But I'd still think if a player "always has great practices" and "Played the best in preseason" you'd find a spot in the rotation for him. If Phil Jackson can run a 3 point rotation, Jim O'brien can too.

edit: Also, JOB benched Price right after that article was written, then TJ got hurt again. Don't forget it. It wasn't like, AJ started off hot, cooled down (although he still played pretty well, but I think Hibbert took "best guy in preseason") a bit, and then JOB started to go with TJ. No, JOB said "Price has been the best player across the board, and he'll get more minutes." And then next game he benched him. In favor of a still recovering TJ. (He's STILL recovering btw)

Will Galen
11-11-2010, 05:13 PM
That all being said, I understand there's a possibility that the team feels it has to play TJ for trade purposes. After all, he's not staying, and his trade value wouldn't be that great if he's third string behind two second year pgs. And perhaps the organization has explained this to Price. But I'd still think if a player "always has great practices" and "Played the best in preseason" you'd find a spot in the rotation for him. If Phil Jackson can run a 3 point rotation, Jim O'brien can too.

Now you're talking sense!

Ford needs to play until the trade deadline. After that it will likely be AJ getting the backup minutes if Ford is not traded.

pacer4ever
11-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Now you're talking sense!

Ford needs to play until the trade deadline. After that it will likely be AJ getting the backup minutes if Ford is not traded.

Granger's cousin told me they are just showcasing him to trade him. But i dont know who will take him untill some injury occurs.

90'sNBARocked
11-11-2010, 05:55 PM
In Price's case, whether he's "hurt" or not..I don't know. I don't know the background there. But I do know, this isn't the first time JOB has done this to Price specifically. (More like the fifth) And I also know that, yes, Price outplayed TJ last season, and quite frankly, I'm not sure where the debate is there..And I also know that Price's performance in the preseason was better than TJ's performance has been in the regular season.

I know if I was told by my boss I was the best salesman of the group, then the next day I was laid off, I would be pretty PO'd myself, and yeah it would hurt, whether I admitted it or not

90'sNBARocked
11-11-2010, 05:57 PM
As it has been stated here before

I highly doubt the need to "showcase Ford". It has been widely known around the league for 3 years now we would let go of Ford for a bag of cheetos

We did roughly the same thing with Tinsley and ended up having to buy him out after "showcasing him"

Scouts and team personel spend countless hours on game tape, and are connected to the league, so I doubt their feelings on Ford have changed much

OakMoses
11-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Granger's cousin told me they are just showcasing him to trade him. But i dont know who will take him untill some injury occurs.

I wonder how Bird got O'Brien on board with this. O'Brien is notoriously stubborn and got fired in Philadelphia because of his refusal to play Dalembert as much as the FO wanted him to.

As for the rest of the debate, I'd have to agree with Sookie that there has been a disconnect between what O'Brien has said and done with regards to AJ Price especially.

This doesn't lead me to disregard everything O'Brien says. I think he generally tells the truth more than most coaches.

What I find interesting is that O'Brien is often criticized for being incredibly stubborn. This does not fit with his actions of saying a guy is not in the rotation and then playing him 2 days later. If he was truly stubborn, he'd need to see a guy for a significant amount of time before re-inserting him into the rotation.

My question would be this: How long does O'Brien need to stick by his statements to regain his credibility? Also, how quickly does he have to adjust to not be considered stubborn?

Sookie
11-11-2010, 07:13 PM

I highly doubt the need to "showcase Ford". It has been widely known around the league for 3 years now we would let go of Ford for a bag of cheetos

We did roughly the same thing with Tinsley and ended up having to buy him out after "showcasing him"

Scouts and team personel spend countless hours on game tape, and are connected to the league, so I doubt their feelings on Ford have changed much

Well, I felt that way, and in general, I think showcasing is silly.

However, if he's the backup and he's playing okay (I haven't been happy with the way he's playing, but he hasn't hurt his trade value) and JOB does things like, have him closing games.

It might appear that Ford has value to the Pacers, which means other teams might feel they have to give something better up to get him (or take on another contract, like Dahntay's) It's not trying to trick a team, it's actually giving Ford value to our team.

After all, how much is a guy owed 8 million worth if he's playing behind 2 second year PGs.

Now if he starts playing poorly, and hurting the team..then other teams are going to know he doesn't have much value, and we might as well give AJ all of TJ's minutes for winning purposes.

I don't know if that's what is actually happening, I hope pacer4ever is correct, because that at least makes things understandable..and makes O'brien look less..ridiculous.

spazzxb
11-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Isn't this thread supposed to be about Paul george's blog?

90'sNBARocked
11-11-2010, 07:20 PM
That being said, O'brien has to play all three, imo. Price earned minutes. The rest of the team knows darn well Price earned minutes. Unless the team has made it aware to the rest of the players what's going on "we're showcasing TJ" This goes beyond Price. It's showing guys "no, you don't earn your time..I give you your time when I feel like it." So as I said, if they're showcasing TJ, and the team is aware of it...then fine..but if not..it's gotta be an awkward situation for the players.

Thats the exact point. If I work for a company and they tell me Im the best, then I dont participate in the "big sales meeting" then how do I feel

Jim said he was the best player so far, then TJ plays 6 minutes and he is the back up and Aj suits up

Must have been one hill of a 6 minute run

spazzxb
11-11-2010, 07:26 PM
You mean like AJ getting DNP-CD beside his name after JOb told the world that AJ was the best PG in practice they had on the team?

You mean knowing that kind of information coming straight from the horses mouth?

Or Jim telling us that Tyler wasn't playing, because he wasn't up to speed. (see results of Tyler's play for conclusion)

I don't have the source but it was said that they could not use the full playbook when Tyler was in the game. It was never about ability.

the remainder of this post is not directed at the above quote or its author:

Can we just change the title of this thread because I think its a bit disrespectful to Paul George. People who are just interested in his blog and what he has to say should not be subjected to this. We know you hate the coach, now show an ability to post intelligent thoughts about something else. It appears this hatred is spreading like a cancer into every thread on this board, and the haters seem proud.

Part Timer
11-11-2010, 07:50 PM

Though it might be common knowledge that the Pacers have been trying to move Ford, they have certainly not been expecting only a bag of cheetos in return. In fact we have pretty good evidence that Oklahoma was willing to trade for Ford (draft night) and in the end the front office was not interested in the proposed deal.

Additionally, you simply cannot compare the situations of Tinsley and Ford.

I don't wish injury on anyone, but if a team with playoff aspirations loses a point guard, Ford immediately becomes a consideration given his expiring contract.

MLB007
11-11-2010, 09:29 PM

Of course there is. He hasn't played regularly in more than a year. Teams that DID know his game would have questions of whether he's lost a step.
That's reasonable and expected and it's reasonable for the Pacers to show teams that he hasn't.
Tinsley still sucked when he got showcased. TJ hasn't been bad.
(there's a difference there) :happydanc

NuffSaid
11-11-2010, 09:58 PM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not, but the first thing I thought of when I read George's Tweet was how Artest took Granger under his wing to teach him how to be a better defender when Granger first got here. Looks like Granger is not only embracing the defensive side of his game more, he's also passing on what he learned from the one who came before him.

If there's one good thing I can say Artest left behind, it was the importance of passing on what you learned to the next in line. Now, as long as Granger doesn't teach George to rush into the stands after someone throws a cup of beer in his face, we're all good. :D (Sorry...just couldn't resist!)