PDA

View Full Version : Chris Denari blog November 10, 2010

pacer4ever
11-10-2010, 03:17 PM
By Chris Denari
FOXSportsIndiana.com
November 10, 2010

I'm in my fifth year broadcasting Pacers games on Fox Sports Indiana and have broadcast basketball for 25+ years, but Tuesday night was a first for me when Indiana blew out Denver 144-113 at Conseco Fieldhouse. I've never seen a team hit 20 shots in a row, especially when seven of those are three-pointers.

But that's what Indiana did in scoring a franchise-record 54 points in the third quarter.

The Pacers led 59-49 at halftime and hit their first 20 shots in the third quarter before Josh McRoberts missed the 21st and final shot. Indiana outscored the Nuggets 54-27 and led by as many as 39 in routing the Nuggets.

The Pacers had looked very poor offensively in the two previous games, averaging just 83 points and shooting 35 percent from the field in losses to Philadelphia and Milwaukee. That changed against the Nuggets as the Pacers shot 64 percent and scored the most points at home since March, 1991. Yes, 20-for-21 from the field in the third quarter and 31-for-39 shooting in the second half.

It's pretty hard to lose when you enjoy a night like that.

This was Mike Dunleavy's night, but really, he had plenty of help. Dunleavy scored 24 of his 31 points in the third quarter when he hit 7-of-7 field goals, including 5-for-5 from three-point range. Through the first five games, Dunleavy was shooting just 35 percent from the field and 24 percent from three-point range. It looks like Mike's shooting slump is over, but we won't expect him or the Pacers to produce like this every night.

But when a team has 37 assists on its 56 field goals, that means there is plenty of ball movement and everyone is sharing in the good times. That can happen every night and needs to if this team hopes to have consistent success this year. On Tuesday night, Danny Granger hit 8 of his 10 shots and added three threes for 19 points, and Darren Collison hit 12-of-14 from the field (4-of-5 from three) for a 29-point night. Throw in Roy Hibbert's 17, Tyler Hansbrough's 20 point, nine rebound game off the bench, and a 16-point night from Brando Rush in his first game of the year and it was a complete Pacers rout.

McRoberts may have missed the shot that would have kept the Pacers perfect in the third quarter, but he added 10 rebounds and five assists to help the Pacers' cause. Those are the numbers Indiana likes from its current starting power forward.

There's a little bit of a different feel at Conseco Fieldhouse this year. The players are bringing more energy, and that's carrying over to the fans. I think fans can really see the potential that this young team possesses. They like the newcomer Collison, and the young core that has returned wants to prove that NBA basketball in Indianapolis can be different than the last four years.

I can't tell you this team is going to make the playoffs, but I think it's going to be exciting watching them try. Sure, there will be ups and downs when eight of your players are 25 years of age and younger. But I think the future is looking brighter every day and it will be fun to watch the ride.

http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/11/10/10/Off-the-Court-Chris-Denari/landing_pacers.html?blockID=349536&feedID=4106

MTM
11-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Does anyone on here actually like Quinn Buckner as color analyst?

Denari is ok... but I miss the old days of Baker and Kellogg.

pacer4ever
11-10-2010, 03:22 PM

kellogg does a lot of the away games. Most color analyst are former player and are not very good.

Day-V
11-10-2010, 03:31 PM
I like Quinn. And I do like Denari, but not as much as Al Albert. But I don't think that's fair to Chris. Al was around during the apex of the 90's Pacers. Denari started after the brawl and has had to do games in which we fielded very bad teams. Al had a tremendous voice and some fun (if not silly) nicknames.

What I do like about Chris is that he genuinely seems to be a fan of the Pacers. That's awesome.

Nothing tops Clark though. His Clarkisms are approaching Madden-level.

Hicks
11-10-2010, 03:38 PM
I like Quinn.

pacer4ever
11-10-2010, 03:39 PM
pretty good blog by chris i give him props

IUfan4life
11-10-2010, 03:47 PM

I love Quinn. I think he and Denari are one of the best duo's in the league.

PaceBalls
11-10-2010, 03:48 PM
I like Quinn too, even if he stutters sometimes.
He knows what he is talking about from having experienced it all. As was mentioned during the last telecast, he has won a High School championship, a NCAA championship with the undefeated Hoosiers '76 team, a NBA championship with Larry Bird's Celtics and the '76 Gold Medal. He also coached in the NBA. Quite the resume.

pacer4ever
11-10-2010, 03:52 PM
I love Quinn. I think he and Denari are one of the best duo's in the league.

yes they are very good . Watch league pass some teams have some god awful broadcasters. The pacers have the best followed by the knicks in my opinion.

odeez
11-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Chris Denari is great! I always enjoy hearing him do the games.

Pacers4Life
11-10-2010, 04:07 PM

I liked the guy before Denari more (though his name escapes me) and Clark Kellogg is a class act, plain and simple. But I think Quinn and Chris are great.

odeez
11-10-2010, 04:09 PM
My favorite combination is Chris Denari and Clark Kellogg!

pacer4ever
11-10-2010, 04:10 PM
My favorite combination is Chris Denari and Clark Kellogg!

me2 and no Austin choshere pre game im happy

MLB007
11-10-2010, 04:19 PM

I think Quinn is one of the smartest analysts I've ever watched. And I liked Clark a lot, but he moved UP, so good for him.
Quinn doesn't have the bubbly personality, but he seems like a nice guy.
HATED his butt as a hoosier, but he's ok now. :)
Quinn makes "insider" observations that are awfully intersesting IMO.

MLB007
11-10-2010, 04:23 PM
I like Quinn too, even if he stutters sometimes.
He knows what he is talking about from having experienced it all. As was mentioned during the last telecast, he has won a High School championship, a NCAA championship with the undefeated Hoosiers '76 team, a NBA championship with Larry Bird's Celtics and the '76 Gold Medal. He also coached in the NBA. Quite the resume.

Because he's been a winner at every level, he understands those little things that make the difference in winners and losers.
I love his observations about who is doing things the "right way" and such.
And his excitement about guys like Tyler when many weren't sure.
He understands that winner does not = most talented and that's something that LOTS of folks will never get.

graphic-er
11-10-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm surprised at the positive response towards Quinn, alot of people on here over the years have totally bashed the man. I admit that up until this year I was pretty wishy washy on him. But after hearing Clyde Drexler for the Rockets and the guy for Orlando and Minnesota. We have some of the best analysts in the league period. Just needed a little perspective.

pacer4ever
11-10-2010, 04:50 PM
I'm surprised at the positive response towards Quinn, alot of people on here over the years have totally bashed the man. I admit that up until this year I was pretty wishy washy on him. But after hearing Clyde Drexler for the Rockets and the guy for Orlando and Minnesota. We have some of the best analysts in the league period. Just needed a little perspective.

" he's quick as a cat" LOL he used that over 30 times it felt like for every player.

:picard:

LOL

Trader Joe
11-10-2010, 04:51 PM
I really, really don't like Quinn Buckner. He severely interferes with watching the game for me most of the time. Denari is OK.

BillS
11-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Here in Indiana we've been severely spoiled by Slick Leonard on the radio.

crunk-juice
11-10-2010, 04:57 PM
i thought i was the only one who liked Quinn.

cordobes
11-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Quinn Buckner is pretty good. I prefer him to Kellog. Buckner is not very eloquent, not the most fluent guy, but his basketball insights are top notch. Kellog is very well-spoken, but doesn't bring the beef.

90'sNBARocked
11-10-2010, 05:10 PM

agreed, slick rocks

Trophy
11-10-2010, 05:22 PM
I like Quinn, he's very knowledgeable with the game and isn't an annoying announcer like some of the other ones out there that always side with the team they're speaking for.

Both Chris and Quinn aren't always siding with the Pacers and they really don't poke fun at the other team like other announcers do.

I really enjoy listening to Clark too. He's well spoken and like Quinn has a lot of basketball experience. When I hear him talking for road games, I keep thinking I'm playing 2K11.

Trophy
11-10-2010, 05:23 PM

I listened to Slick a few times both online and in Indiana.

He does a great job and it really seems like you're watching the game when he speaks.

smj887
11-10-2010, 05:28 PM
I love how this started as a Denari blog about the state of the team, and turned into a discussion on how good Buckner is in comparison to the rest of the league.

rock747
11-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Actually, I would say that Pacer fans are pretty blessed with the Pacers announce team. Watch some other teams broadcast and you will see how little knowledge alot of those anouncers have. I am sometimes shocked at the lack of knowledge revealed by the comments made by opposing color commentary guys sometimes.

Scot Pollard
11-10-2010, 05:45 PM
i want to beat up neal **** and stacy king the bulls announcers

they talk like there stupid

Eddie Gill
11-10-2010, 05:49 PM
yes they are very good . Watch league pass some teams have some god awful broadcasters. The pacers have the best followed by the knicks in my opinion.

I'd like to nominate the Spurs' broadcast team for worst in the league.

oxxo
11-10-2010, 06:18 PM
Yea, we have one of the best for sure. Once I started subscribing to League Pass a few years back I was shocked how terrible alot of the other regional announcers are. Many show very little knowledge, have poor chemistry, sound very unprofessional, are EXTREME homers, etc. etc.

We have one of the, if not the best, TV and radio announcers in the league.

Justin Tyme
11-10-2010, 06:42 PM
I'll always liked Jerry Baker. Between Quinn and Clark, I by far like Clark better.

Infinite MAN_force
11-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Quinn Buckner is pretty good. I prefer him to Kellog. Buckner is not very eloquent, not the most fluent guy, but his basketball insights are top notch. Kellog is very well-spoken, but doesn't bring the beef.

I could agree with that. Quinn can be annoying at times due to stumbling over his words, but his insights are always really good.

DaveP63
11-11-2010, 08:18 AM

I love them both. Quinn because he's a "nuts and bolts" guy and Clark because he's a "heart and effort" guy. Both bring a lot to the table and you can't deny Quinn's got the resume...I really liked Al but thought he was a little gimmicky. Chris is a Pacer fan and it shows. If you have any doubt how good we've got it, watch some games on NBA TV...

McKeyFan
11-11-2010, 08:59 AM
Quinn talks too much.

I like Denari quite a bit. Really knows the game for a play-by-play announcer.

IUfan4life
11-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Quinn talks too much.

I like Denari quite a bit. Really knows the game for a play-by-play announcer.

Quinn's job is to talk.

Just imagine how much more you would dislike him if he didn't talk and the game was filled with silence.

Unclebuck
11-11-2010, 10:31 AM
I never liked Jerry baker. We are fortunate to have Kellogg and Quinn.

luis3ep
11-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Am i the only one who thinks Quinn and Kellogg sound almost the same?

owl
11-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Quinn, Clark, Chris and Slick all bring different talents and backgrounds to the game and I like listening to each of them. Quinn is just a happy guy and has great insights despite his stumbling over words he is a good match with Chris.

Peck
11-11-2010, 10:51 AM

Yet your not spoiled by having the best radio play by play man in the NBA sit with him?

I want to add that after having to watch Houstons on air team in the pre-season that I would rather listen to dead air than them. They not only were the worst team I've heard this year they quite possibly were the worst I've ever heard anywhere.

Bball
11-11-2010, 10:54 AM

Yes.

Unclebuck
11-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Without question. Slick is good, Quinn, Kellogg, Denari - all are good.

But the star is Mark Boyle. He's as good as any basketball play-by-play I have ever heard. Listen to him and then listen to Purdue's basketball radio play-by-play guy. Don't worry it only takes about 30 seconds for you to appreciate how good Mark is.

tora tora
11-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Quinn wouldn't be too bad if he stopped acting like a know-it-all.

BRushWithDeath
11-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Quinn Buckner thinks Quinn Buckner is hilarious. He's the only one.

I really like Denari though.

BillS
11-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Yet your not spoiled by having the best radio play by play man in the NBA sit with him?

Of course we are, but the conversation seemed to be more about the color commentary so I didn't bring up play-by-play. :blush:

Hicks
11-11-2010, 12:27 PM

I would think so because they sound pretty different to me.

Hicks
11-11-2010, 12:29 PM
I don't think Quinn thinks he's hilarious; I think he find humor in many of the things he observes, and he's not afraid to express his amusement. I enjoy it.

McKeyFan
11-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Quinn's job is to talk.

Just imagine how much more you would dislike him if he didn't talk and the game was filled with silence.

He talks more than Denari, who is the play by play guy.

Like Miles Davis said, it's not how many notes, but which notes.

Day-V
11-11-2010, 02:11 PM
I thought that Q&A session at the pre-game dinner that many of PD-ers got to experience before the Minnesota pre-season game showed just how great Quinn and Denari are. They were surprisingly honest about many topics. Quinn's comments regarding Lance's maturity comes to mind. I never get the hate on our announcers as, again, I think it's just people wanting to have something to ***** about.

They're fantastic.

Pacers4Life
11-11-2010, 03:18 PM
I love how this started as a Denari blog about the state of the team, and turned into a discussion on how good Buckner is in comparison to the rest of the league.

hahahaha... i hadn't even noticed until i read this. I was just kinda goin down the list... but you're so right.

For the record, somebody (graphic-er?) already said what im gonna say but thats oookayy. We do have some of the best commentators in the game. For a multitude of reasons. And I am a fan of all of them mentioned.

Pacers4Life
11-11-2010, 03:20 PM
definitely not man. Has anyone actually SEEN them in the same room together? Bcuz sometimes it is downright scary... IMO

IUfan4life
11-11-2010, 03:45 PM
I'm just going to say this.

Anyone who doesn't like Quinn needs to take the stick out of their butt's and lighten up. We have arguably the best announce team in the association.

God forbid Chris asks Quinn a question and it takes a couple of minutes to answer it. Sooo sorry that you learn something throughout the game.

not to mention it is TELEVISION. The format for radio is thrown out the window