PDA

View Full Version : Roy Hibbert now leads the NBA in blocks per game.

Pacerized
11-08-2010, 10:36 PM
After Josh Smith dropped to 3.37 blocks per game tonight, Roy now leads the NBA with 3.40 blocks. How long do you think he'll hold this? He started very strong last year and fell off quickly.

Day-V
11-08-2010, 10:44 PM
FWIW, your thread title is misleading.

Pacerized
11-08-2010, 10:46 PM
FWIW, your thread title is misleading.

In what way?

xBulletproof
11-08-2010, 10:47 PM
He's leading in blocks per game, not blocks. ;)

Trophy
11-08-2010, 10:48 PM
GO ROY!

Pacerized
11-08-2010, 10:55 PM
He's leading in blocks per game, not blocks. ;)

O.K. I fixed it.

I can't remember the last time a Pacer was ranked #1 in any statistical category.

pacer4ever
11-08-2010, 11:02 PM
O.K. I fixed it.

I can't remember the last time a Pacer was ranked #1 in any statistical category.

reggie 3s

Trophy
11-08-2010, 11:05 PM
O.K. I fixed it.

Murphy's 3 point % and rebounds were both in the top 5. ;)

He's the only player to have stats like that.

It's an usual combination.

cdash
11-08-2010, 11:09 PM
I don't think he wins the block title (D12 or J-Smoove won't have it), but I think he will be up there in the top 10 come season's end.

Jon Theodore
11-08-2010, 11:11 PM
He will be in the top five at season end, if he stays healthy.

Peck
11-08-2010, 11:32 PM
Overall I am very happy to say that I am very pleased with Roy's defense this season & if we could please just get Josh to stop drawing 2 fouls in the first two min. of the game I think we could be pretty good defensively.

Jon Theodore
11-08-2010, 11:46 PM
I expect we are going to have some growing pains with Mcroberts and fouling....similar to Hibbert his first two years in the league. I expect McRoberts will carve out a Foster esque career in the NBA.

Mackey_Rose
11-09-2010, 12:17 AM
Overall I am very happy to say that I am very pleased with Roy's defense this season & if we could please just get Josh to stop drawing 2 fouls in the first two min. of the game I think we could be pretty good defensively.

Josh has gotten the short end of the stick when it comes to officiating so far this season, in my opinion.

That probably won't change, but the insertion of Rush into the starting lineup could be a good start to helping this problem if he doesn't have to help out on players dribble penetrating from the perimeter quite so often.

JonnyB83
11-09-2010, 03:37 AM
Josh has gotten the short end of the stick when it comes to officiating so far this season, in my opinion.

That probably won't change, but the insertion of Rush into the starting lineup could be a good start to helping this problem if he doesn't have to help out on players dribble penetrating from the perimeter quite so often.

Pretty much what I was going to say. I was going to say something along the lines of "Tell Dun to stay in front of his man." From what I can remember a lot of JMac's fouls come from him having to help out. Sure he could get in better position or be smart about it. But if other people were staying in front he wouldn't have to help out so much. Boom problem solved.

I do think JMac will get things figured out eventually. He seems to have a pretty decent work ethic.

FlavaDave
11-09-2010, 11:04 AM
This is something to keep in mind for the potential Josh Smith trade. We would have two of the league's top 5 shot blockers in the starting lineup.

imawhat
11-09-2010, 11:18 AM
Roy led the NBA in blocks last season after about five games. I don't think he'll finish on top this season but he'll be very close.

I've been very impressed with Roy's improvement on defense this season, especially team defense. He affects at least 3-5 shots a game that don't count as blocks.

I think he's been our best defensive player so far. He's better than I thought he'd be and he deserves almost all of the credit.

Brad8888
11-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Until the perimeter defense improves and prevents more dribble penetrations, the only thing that would stop Roy from being high up in the rankings on this stat would be foul trouble due to trying to be too agressive. His length and a little more quickness compared to past years, coupled with better conditioning / asthma control should allow him to be more effective as the season goes along this year.

ColeTheMole
11-09-2010, 11:29 AM
The best part about Roy blocking shots is the look on his face and when he talks to the people after he swats them. No idea what he says, but it sure pumps up the crowd and hopefully the players.

nerveghost
11-09-2010, 12:31 PM
i've noticed big Roy has been very good at jumping backwards with the defender and not drawing fouls via body contact...

Sparhawk
11-09-2010, 01:30 PM
This is something to keep in mind for the potential Josh Smith trade. We would have two of the league's top 5 shot blockers in the starting lineup.

:thumbup:

MTM
11-09-2010, 01:37 PM
So much for the idea that he needed to be removed from the game for stretches at a time because he was a defensive liability and drew too many poor fouls. Finally we have a good center and can enjoy quality interior play.

naptownmenace
11-09-2010, 01:41 PM
He's always said that Dikembe Mutombo is his role model and Roy is now earning the right to wear that number 55 on his jersey. Prior to this season his offense has been ahead of his defense. Now it's the other way around - as it should be IMO. We need him to play more like Mutombo or DHoward than Rik Smits.

I also think that his weight loss and conditioning has helped. He's received a lot of positive praise around the league for his hard work over the summer and I think the refs have bought into the fact that he's a better defender. Once the refs are aware of you and your abilities, they give you way more benefit of the doubt when it comes to plays that could go down as a block or foul.

IndyProdigy
11-09-2010, 01:46 PM
I expect we are going to have some growing pains with Mcroberts and fouling....similar to Hibbert his first two years in the league. I expect McRoberts will carve out a Foster esque career in the NBA.

Only Foster cant dribble behind the back in transition or throw it down 360 between the legs. ;)

Man if only we could get Josh Smith, wed have the most blocks per game as a team by far and away. Plus Josh could help guard Amare, boozer when he gets back, bogut, blatche, brand, and other big studs that tear us up every game.

IndyHoya
11-09-2010, 04:35 PM
After Josh Smith dropped to 3.37 blocks per game tonight, Roy now leads the NBA with 3.40 blocks. How long do you think he'll hold this? He started very strong last year and fell off quickly.

Indefinitely. Roy's for real.

IndyProdigy
11-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Indefinitely. Roy's for real.

yea his drop off in blocks had to do with his PT, now i think with murph gone and JOB being a lil higher on him, he should be able to hold his blocking grounds. ha, get it?

NapTonius Monk
11-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Until the perimeter defense improves and prevents more dribble penetrations, the only thing that would stop Roy from being high up in the rankings on this stat would be foul trouble due to trying to be too agressive. His length and a little more quickness compared to past years, coupled with better conditioning / asthma control should allow him to be more effective as the season goes along this year.Getting Brandon Rush back should help quite a bit. I just hope Jimmy Walnuts doesn't go overboard trying to prove a point to him. We could sure use what he brings to the table.

BringJackBack
11-09-2010, 11:03 PM
He's always said that Dikembe Mutombo is his role model and Roy is now earning the right to wear that number 55 on his jersey. Prior to this season his offense has been ahead of his defense. Now it's the other way around - as it should be IMO. We need him to play more like Mutombo or DHoward than Rik Smits.

I also think that his weight loss and conditioning has helped. He's received a lot of positive praise around the league for his hard work over the summer and I think the refs have bought into the fact that he's a better defender. Once the refs are aware of you and your abilities, they give you way more benefit of the doubt when it comes to plays that could go down as a block or foul.

Remember when Roy said that he was bringing the finger wag back. I was really, really, really looking for that wag when he swatted Sheldens stuff. I wish that he would have went with it. He's got a ridiculous number of blocks and how much would you like to see very many wags 6 games into the season.

Pacerized
11-11-2010, 09:43 AM
After dropping to #2 for a day Roy is back to #1 today at 3.33. Tough match up for a much improved Hibbert going against Yao this Friday. Yao is supposed to have his playing time increased Friday.

Mackey_Rose
11-11-2010, 10:08 AM
After dropping to #2 for a day Roy is back to #1 today at 3.33. Tough match up for a much improved Hibbert going against Yao this Friday. Yao is supposed to have his playing time increased Friday.

Didn't Yao get hurt last night? Will be interesting to see how aggressive they are with him on Friday.

Pacerized
11-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Didn't Yao get hurt last night? Will be interesting to see how aggressive they are with him on Friday.

You're right, I didn't catch that game. Even if he plays I doubt if they'd push him past 24 minutes now.

Future_NBA_Player
11-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Go Roy...Its obvious all of the work you have put in has paid off...Keep up the good work big fella.....